Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The question was basically "will I have a tool in game to tell me my percentage chance of blacking out if I combine Thruster X with gimp suit Y?" and Chris's response was "you'll have to ask the community." They're going to provide stats (similar to what's already in the game), but the level of extrapolation the question was asking for was a bit extreme.

There's no doubt that someone will make the SC equivalent of EFT, it will simply depend on how quickly CIG can get the API out and how quickly some genius can get it built. It's nice that Roberts is inviting people to make things like this and I wonder if this means that they're looking at creating a community mods/addons site like Kerbal Spaceport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

WhoNeedsAName posted:

There's no doubt that someone will make the SC equivalent of EFT, it will simply depend on how quickly CIG can get the API out and how quickly some genius can get it built. It's nice that Roberts is inviting people to make things like this and I wonder if this means that they're looking at creating a community mods/addons site like Kerbal Spaceport.

One guy already made a rudimentary one called the Stanton space barn, the issue at the moment is that CIG's XML files are a huge inconsistent mess. The stats you get for many things ate totally inconsistent at this point. All the data is in the pak files, however.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Wulfling posted:

So I managed to sneak in another night of ~30min. Tried Ctrl+F and Ctrl+Caps, and I like this much better. I can't offhand remember how to turn COMSTAB off, and I don't see it in the keybindings. I'm being blind/stupid and missing something basic I'm sure as I know I've had it turned off before.

Ctrl+Caps is a toggle for Gsafe and Comstab. It cycles through both on, one off (each individually), or both off.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Can somebody please explain to me why pubbies make comments like these in the brown sea:

quote:

As you say, going for a 300i would be a better option for exploring. The Hornet is limited by the fact that it does not have a bed or crew quarter area

Why would this even matter? Do they think that we are going to have to role-play eating, sleeping, and taking a poo poo?

...wait, this is Star Citizen. Are we going to have sleeping, eating, and making GBS threads mechanics? :ohdear:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sleeping will be a mechanic for logging off out in space. As it stands, if you are in a ship without a bed (hornet) you will have to return to a planet/spacestation or carrier spaceship to dock and logoff safely.

However, making GBS threads will be the core mechanic Star Citizen.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

imperialparadox posted:

Can somebody please explain to me why pubbies make comments like these in the brown sea:

Why would this even matter? Do they think that we are going to have to role-play eating, sleeping, and taking a poo poo?

...wait, this is Star Citizen. Are we going to have sleeping, eating, and making GBS threads mechanics? :ohdear:

I guess if you really wanted to get technical, with the planned internal component damage modeling they're going for, having a bunch of empty space in your ship could be better than having components shoved into every square inch.

But, in reality, that's not going to matter for anything as small as the 300i/Hornet.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It already matters in the AC though. The Aurora has a ton of dead space in the rear half, which makes a lot of "hits" not matter.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

imperialparadox posted:

etc.:

I think some CIG person at some point conveyed that you couldn't log out in deep space unless your ship had living accoutrement

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Broccoli Cat posted:

I think some CIG person at some point conveyed that you couldn't log out in deep space unless your ship had living accoutrement

What does that actually mean? If I my internet goes down while in deep space will they erase my account? Or will I just log on a few days later to find my spaceship caked in poo poo with my character rocking in the corner repeating "it doesn't have a bathroom... it doesn't have a bathroom..."

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Chalks posted:

What does that actually mean? If I my internet goes down while in deep space will they erase my account? Or will I just log on a few days later to find my spaceship caked in poo poo with my character rocking in the corner repeating "it doesn't have a bathroom... it doesn't have a bathroom..."

It could mean that an AI tries to pilot your ship back to a nearby safespot, and if you get blown up on the way home, well, maybe you should have a better ISP! Alternatively your ship floats in space until someone comes along to rescue it. It's cold and lonely!

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
The same guys who made War Thunder also made a game called StarConflict. It's about flying around in space and shooting at guys. I played it a bit and it seems pretty alright. What's Christ Robert's doing so different that his game works worse than something that like 3 guys in a basement in Russia made?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Crust First posted:

It could mean that an AI tries to pilot your ship back to a nearby safespot, and if you get blown up on the way home, well, maybe you should have a better ISP! Alternatively your ship floats in space until someone comes along to rescue it. It's cold and lonely!

It's like an MMO I think. Sleeping in a bed makes you vanish. Logging off leaves you vulnerable.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ShineDog posted:

It's like an MMO I think.

Sums up all the (probably wrong but who knows) assumptions about PU.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Chalks posted:

Maybe you can by RSI brand logoff insurance, where if you disconnect an emergency ship will be dispatched to gather your belongings and take them to a safe place. Subscribe today, for the low, low price of $20/month.*

* Accessing logoff insurance requires an internet connection and the use of the Mobiglass smartphone Star Citizen app. Cargo in excess of 3 Lesnicks will not be picked up, and RSI assumes no responsibility if the Rescue Aurora dispatched to your location is destroyed.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

DreadLlama posted:

The same guys who made War Thunder also made a game called StarConflict. It's about flying around in space and shooting at guys. I played it a bit and it seems pretty alright. What's Christ Robert's doing so different that his game works worse than something that like 3 guys in a basement in Russia made?

The core gameplay in Star Conflict is great, though much more Arcadey than what they're going for in star citizen. Unfortunately star conflict has some balance problems the higher you get in the ship tiers and I get the impression that the game doesn't get much love because war thunder is so successful.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's really awesome how closely AC's combat system (apart from the movement) mirrors how Star Wars dogfights are described in the books. The insane level of detail of damage modelling, the huge variance in damage depending on hit location the need to bundle as much firepower into a single attack as possible to punch through shields and armor.
And really I think when Chris Roberts says "WW2 Dogfights in Space", what he means is "Star Wars", so mission accomplished.

It's hard to play older Space Sims now just because the detail in how ships get hit and die is so much more interesting in AC.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

It's really awesome how closely AC's combat system (apart from the movement) mirrors how Star Wars dogfights are described in the books. The insane level of detail of damage modelling, the huge variance in damage depending on hit location the need to bundle as much firepower into a single attack as possible to punch through shields and armor.
And really I think when Chris Roberts says "WW2 Dogfights in Space", what he means is "Star Wars", so mission accomplished.

It's hard to play older Space Sims now just because the detail in how ships get hit and die is so much more interesting in AC.

Exactly how I feel.

And I'll just add: Having your ship missing both wings, 1 working gun and 2 only manuvering thrusters left and still fending off attackers is just an incredible experience. I don't want to go back to hitpoints ever again.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Eldragon posted:

I don't want to go back to hitpoints ever again.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Eldragon posted:

Exactly how I feel.

And I'll just add: Having your ship missing both wings, 1 working gun and 2 only manuvering thrusters left and still fending off attackers is just an incredible experience. I don't want to go back to hitpoints ever again.

While playing last night I crashed through the debris of a just destroyed Vanduul ship. Took slight damage to my shields. That was pretty cool.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

While playing last night I crashed through the debris of a just destroyed Vanduul ship. Took slight damage to my shields. That was pretty cool.

Most of my deaths in the 300i come from getting hit by the wreckage of a Vanduul that I just blew up. I seem to have a knack for hitting their blades when I blow them off.

...I am perhaps overly aggressive.

...also, the fragility of ships when physically hit makes me think that ramming will indeed be a glorious thing.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Scythes seem almost purpose built to lose their blades in a head-on pass, turning the blade-wing into a missile headed right at the target.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Apart from the wobble, I really liked flying the Aurora. Nothing can hit it and the guns have a really good punch compared to the hornet's ball turret guns. The only way I died was by ramming vandaals that were trying to make sharp turns right in front of me.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

imperialparadox posted:

If you log off without using a sleep chamber thing in space your ship tries to autopilot to the nearest friendly station and dock. If you use a sleep chamber thing then your ship sticks around for a bit then disappears and when you log back in you are right where you logged off like in EVE.

e: Whoops, way late on that oh well.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 10, 2014

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So I played this a while in the hornet. There were some parts I liked, the damage modeling, both on me and the enemy, was really cool and well done.

The maneuvering was not so fun, I tend to prefer fast movement and gradual turns, so as to reward you for taking some time and anticipating your opponent's movement to set up a shot. A lot of that is just the fact I don't have the best reflexes, and I'm playing with mouse/keyboard at the moment anyways. I think, given some time, I'll get used to this system.

I think the HUD makes it hard to keep track of your position in space. There's just a sense that you're chasing a target, but understanding where other targets are relative to you is difficult. Part of that is, again, because I'm just getting used to things, but I really think the radar doesn't provide enough information. It almost seems like you'd need two radar systems to really get a clear idea where everything is at; one to indicate the entire battlefield and the position of enemies, and another to show you the immediate vicinity in almost a 3rd person pov. Adding some additional arrows to indicate the position of proximal enemy fighters would also be good; maybe in a lighter shade of orange than the one you're targeting. I imagine getting used to switching between combat mode and "look around" mode will help with that, somewhat.

Anyways, it seems like they have the framework of a real game here, but I won't really feel good about things until they can release some form of multiplayer, and it sounds like the netcode is still a nightmare. Would be nice if they'd release an actual update on that, but I kinda get the impression they plan on resting on their laurels for a bit after actually releasing something beyond the hangar.

Also it's hilarious that the hangar performs significantly worse than Arena Commander.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Also it's hilarious that the hangar performs significantly worse than Arena Commander.

I'm glad it does. I was a bit worried, thinking if the hangar is such a CPU/GPU hog, what will the actual game be like?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

If you log off without using a sleep chamber thing in space your ship tries to autopilot to the nearest friendly station and dock. If you use a sleep chamber thing then your ship sticks around for a bit then disappears and when you log back in you are right where you logged off like in EVE.

e: Whoops, way late on that oh well.

This sounds like a clunky, bad idea. Particularly your ship "auto-piloting" to a station.

I feel like the bed should allow you to safely log off instantly, and the lack of the bed would just cause you to have a logoff timer or something. I guess you auto-warp when you d/c in EVE, but I'm just predicting it not working as well in SC.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I think the HUD makes it hard to keep track of your position in space.

The current radar is horrible, with vision obscuring 3D models and that tend to blend in with each other. I really think that they should borrow Elite's radar, which uses little triangles and squares to represent ships, and even indicates when you are near an object like an asteroid. It's so much easier to read and actually conveys useful information at a glance. SC's radar seems like some graphics guy got carried away with what he thought sounded cool, without giving a thought to the actual functionality of the thing.

You can use "g" to lock in targets that you have scanned, which labels them by number and ties them to the right side of your HUD. If you do this, you get a pointer arrow for each target, but the arrows are all the same color so I don't really find it that helpful.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm glad most ships have beds. I mean, sure, there aren't enough beds for my entire all female crew, but its cool. We can always share bunks or whatever.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm glad most ships have beds. I mean, sure, there aren't enough beds for my entire all female crew, but its cool. We can always share bunks or whatever.

Given your avatar I'll admit I'm a little surprised to see you say that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The crew is all women so there isn't any gay stuff.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DatonKallandor posted:

This is why they're going through all the spergilicious trouble of modeling individual maneuvering thrusters and components and probably the loving internal fuel lines connecting them all. It allows for organic deterioration and results in emergent gameplay that abstraction doesn't create.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

imperialparadox posted:

The current radar is horrible, with vision obscuring 3D models and that tend to blend in with each other. I really think that they should borrow Elite's radar, which uses little triangles and squares to represent ships, and even indicates when you are near an object like an asteroid. It's so much easier to read and actually conveys useful information at a glance. SC's radar seems like some graphics guy got carried away with what he thought sounded cool, without giving a thought to the actual functionality of the thing.

You can use "g" to lock in targets that you have scanned, which labels them by number and ties them to the right side of your HUD. If you do this, you get a pointer arrow for each target, but the arrows are all the same color so I don't really find it that helpful.

The radar works great with an Oculus Rift because the 3d radar and depth perception using it actually mean something.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Anyways, it seems like they have the framework of a real game here, but I won't really feel good about things until they can release some form of multiplayer, and it sounds like the netcode is still a nightmare. Would be nice if they'd release an actual update on that, but I kinda get the impression they plan on resting on their laurels for a bit after actually releasing something beyond the hangar.

Pretty sure they said that they were keeping up the same pace they had set leading up to releasing version 0.8 until they had version 1.0 out the door (would include multi-crew ships, and some additional game modes). I wouldn't associate the lack of update with a lack of effort.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BitBasher posted:

The radar works great with an Oculus Rift because the 3d radar and depth perception using it actually mean something.

Are you using a OR for AC?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Well hey, we just all need to buy an Oculus to make the game playable! :v:

...I'm probably going to buy an Oculus anyways, eventually.

Av027 posted:

Pretty sure they said that they were keeping up the same pace they had set leading up to releasing version 0.8 until they had version 1.0 out the door (would include multi-crew ships, and some additional game modes). I wouldn't associate the lack of update with a lack of effort.

I hope they don't keep up the same pace that led them to the release version 0.8, or it will be December before we see 0.9 and this time next year before we get into 1.0. Seriously though, I get the impression they aren't really close to being ready for the multiplayer client.

Voyager I posted:

It allows for organic deterioration and results in emergent gameplay that abstraction doesn't create.

Do you work in marketing?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

Are you using a OR for AC?

About half the time yes, the other half it's too annoying to disconnect my second monitor and reroute it through the OR brick because of my desk setup. I would use it more if I had a DVI-D switchbox.

imperialparadox posted:

Well hey, we just all need to buy an Oculus to make the game playable! :v:

...I'm probably going to buy an Oculus anyways, eventually.

As low res and blurry as the OR Dev kit 1 is, it's great for this game. I can't read any text at all, and floaty fuzzy pixels turning colors tells me if something is overheating or out of energy. Everything motion blurs like crazy, but with a HOTAS and using head tracking via the OR it's just a blast and incredibly intuitive to target things totally independent of my actual ship controls.

It's far harder to get kills without it. Enough so that I would be impressed if it doesn't end up a real balance issue in the vein of "WAH! Rift users have huge advantages and they pay2win!" (Which, really, is not inaccurate)

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 10, 2014

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I get tempted to buy DK2, but then I feel like I should wait for the consumer version, which I'm told will be out towards the end of this year (not that I've seen anything official saying that). Using the Rift to aim sounds really fun and extremely powerful with a HOTAS setup, though I actually think that they won't nerf that because CIG likes the Rift and it's the "future of gaming" and all that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BitBasher posted:

About half the time yes, the other half it's too annoying to disconnect my second monitor and reroute it through the OR brick because of my desk setup. I would use it more if I had a DVI-D switchbox.

Thanks for this. I like gunboats with turrets so I'll probably pick up a V2 rift down the road (when the game has enough content to warrant it). It'll be fun for warthunder to boot.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks for this. I like gunboats with turrets so I'll probably pick up a V2 rift down the road (when the game has enough content to warrant it). It'll be fun for warthunder to boot.

It's also worth mentioning that it works far better in the AC than it does in the hangar. All the animations that take control of your view like climbing in a ship or swiveling onto a captain's chair can cause nausea. In fact, with the rift anything that takes control from you can have that effect. On the other side of the coin the actual flight works great because you are surrounded by an actual cockpit which is an anchor point of reference minimizing nausea. It's about best case scenario.

Does War Thunder have rift support? I'll have to try that when I get home.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

BitBasher posted:

It's also worth mentioning that it works far better in the AC than it does in the hangar. All the animations that take control of your view like climbing in a ship or swiveling onto a captain's chair can cause nausea. In fact, with the rift anything that takes control from you can have that effect. On the other side of the coin the actual flight works great because you are surrounded by an actual cockpit which is an anchor point of reference minimizing nausea. It's about best case scenario.

Does War Thunder have rift support? I'll have to try that when I get home.

How does the OR feel with the AC pilot get thrown about because of G-forces? Is it small and predictable enough not to make you sick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

How does the OR feel with the AC pilot get thrown about because of G-forces? Is it small and predictable enough not to make you sick?

It's not really too noticeable. It's not really drastic so my brain just pretty much accepts it. The first few times I got blackout effects it really hosed with me though. It's like all of a sudden my brain just things something is really wrong, almost like a minor panic reaction. I got over it pretty fast though after a few instances, and I am told it varies from person to person. Your brain doesn't like losing all or most of it's vision suddenly for no good reason.

Looking sideways for a few seconds and then looking forward to see yourself about to slam into a solid object has a definite pucker factor to it as well. Your brain reacts to it like it's a real crash about to happen in the instant of recognition.

• Locked thread