Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Miles McCloud posted:

I don't see why Acid would actually buy a giant pile of Everdrives if he was planning to take the money and run. He does seem to have bought them, based on the pictures (that's one of the Pokemon Crystals I sent him). He has a post on Krikkz boards in which he complains about the dimensions of the Everdrive PCB not fitting in the DMG carts. In the marketplace thread he does appear to have at least purchased shipping labels, which required spending money, as I don't know of any other way to generate a USPS tracking number. But why he'd wait wait this long to take them to the post office, which is a ten minute drive from his home based on google maps, is beyond me.

He used his real name and address when corresponding with me, so if the situation isn't resolved soon I'll be using more direct, real world ways to contact him.

Just playing the Devils advocate here. It's cheap to buy a bunch of tracking numbers to try and delay your transactions past the 45 day PayPal dispute window. Just buy tracking numbers for .2 ounce envelopes.

That pile of ever drives? He may have a legit one or two, and the stack under is all regular games.

I do have to agree, so much of this feels inconsistent, especially for a scam. Not like people who would do something like this in the first place are logical anyway. My most logical theory (based off that he has posts in tcc) is he got in money trouble with bad people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Question for you guys that know more than me:

On my local Craigslist, there's a guy offering a FULL "Nintendo Action Set" with original box, styrofoam insert, and manuals for only $100:

He's also including not only Super Mario Brothers+ Duck Hunt, but Dr.mario and Tetris.

Is this a good deal?

I mean...look at dat original grey zapper! :allears:

That's the kind of poo poo that'll get you gunned down by an over-zealous cop!

I don't necessarily have a use for it, but looking on eBay, prices for compete sets with box+manuals and original grey zapper are going for $130-$200, depending on condition and such. I typically play retro games on emulators, but there's just something nice about using the real deal.

...though I'd have to get a cheap CRT TV...good thing gobs of them are always being given away for free on Craigslist.

If you're just trying to get an NES and controllers and games, that's paying a little more than you'd have to. But if you want an action set CIB, then that's a pretty killer deal I think.

I could be wrong :downs:

NicodemusPSO
Dec 21, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

I do have to agree, so much of this feels inconsistent, especially for a scam. Not like people who would do something like this in the first place are logical anyway. My most logical theory (based off that he has posts in tcc) is he got in money trouble with bad people.
Where does this "bad people" thing keep coming from? There are plenty of ways to get into money trouble without involving such people.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I'm tempted to sell my modded PS2. It's hardmodded (I forget which chip it was), and I have a SATA harddrive adapter with a 320gb drive inside. Even have a memor32 memory card (easily transfer saves to it via usb on your pc), an hdmi adapter (which I don't use, but it works fine) and a logitech wireless controller. I'm not officially listing it for sale yet, hell, I don't even have a price in mind. But if anyone may be interested I'll probably post pics soon.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

^^I'm tempted depending on how painful shipping it to Canada will be.

NicodemusPSO posted:

Where does this "bad people" thing keep coming from? There are plenty of ways to get into money trouble without involving such people.

This was partially my fault, I did say :tinfoil: though. It's certainly possible, although most legal ways of getting into money trouble won't lead to a situation where it's preferable to burn all bridges you made in various corners of the internet over the last half-decade, and the friends made there.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Ineffiable posted:

Just playing the Devils advocate here. It's cheap to buy a bunch of tracking numbers to try and delay your transactions past the 45 day PayPal dispute window. Just buy tracking numbers for .2 ounce envelopes.

That pile of ever drives? He may have a legit one or two, and the stack under is all regular games.

Yeah, but the profit margin on those memory cards was slim to begin with, if you figure that he was charging $9.50 for them and about the lowest you can pay when buying postage online with tracking is about $1.50, and most if not all seem to have been past 45 days anyway, it just makes it look weird.

Here's the relevant thread on krikkz board (he's pon):
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1478.0

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Why do we buy ever drives through group buys? I know they're only available in limited quantities, but why couldn't we stalk the website, wait until they're available, and purchase them individually? I know this is a dumb question. Is it a shipping thing?

I'm so glad I didn't have the cash when that group buy went up. I wanted one, but dang.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bean posted:

Why do we buy ever drives through group buys? I know they're only available in limited quantities, but why couldn't we stalk the website, wait until they're available, and purchase them individually? I know this is a dumb question. Is it a shipping thing?

I'm so glad I didn't have the cash when that group buy went up. I wanted one, but dang.

Krikzz shaves off about $15 per unit once you buy 10 or more at a time. I went with ACID's group buy because currently you can't buy an EDGB in a case officially, you just get a bare board.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^^^ Typically buying more than 10 (or 20 maybe) of them nets you a pretty drat huge discount.

Miles McCloud posted:

Yeah, but the profit margin on those memory cards was slim to begin with, if you figure that he was charging $9.50 for them and about the lowest you can pay when buying postage online with tracking is about $1.50, and most if not all seem to have been past 45 days anyway, it just makes it look weird.

Here's the relevant thread on krikkz board (he's pon):
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1478.0

Great find! This actually makes me feel a lot better about everything, because (at least in my opinion) if this was a huge wild scam and he was purposely posting on there to throw us off, I'd THINK he'd use the username Acid Police or something. Anyway any news is good news I say. Thanks again.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It's because there is a price break when you buy ten or more. For example, one Mege Everdrive is $143, but if you buy ten or more they are $106 each. I just paid the full price for mine, I mean, it's really not a bad deal for what basically amounts to hundreds and hundreds of games. It's not like you're going to buy a new Everdrive every year.

*Edit* Beaten

DryOatmeal
Jan 30, 2009
I can't remember what the items were, but I know I've bought/sold to Acid before with no issues

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

univbee posted:

Krikzz shaves off about $15 per unit once you buy 10 or more at a time. I went with ACID's group buy because currently you can't buy an EDGB in a case officially, you just get a bare board.

Maybe that is for a group buy? Mine came in a clear GBC-like case, it says GAME on the top, wrapped in an anti-static bag.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

univbee posted:

They will also play burned games without modding.

Well, there are a few caveats. They play burns but the images must be "master flagged" beform burning. See here for the patcher.

If you get a DTL-H30000 (the most common fat TEST I run across in the US) it may have issues using an HDD in the official (not HD Loader) sort of way due to missing Magicgate KELF (encrypted ELF executable) keys compared to retail systems. I've read they can be firmware updated (?) somehow to support it. My DTL-H30100 has full Magicgate support.

I don't think it's a big deal either way for just playing games, but fyi :)

edit: PS1 burns don't need patching

Only Shallow fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 12, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's a good caveat to be aware of, but really patching an ISO before burning is a pretty minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

There's still no way to run PS1 burns on a softmodded PS2 is there?

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Miles McCloud posted:

I don't see why Acid would actually buy a giant pile of Everdrives if he was planning to take the money and run. He does seem to have bought them, based on the pictures (that's one of the Pokemon Crystals I sent him). He has a post on Krikkz boards in which he complains about the dimensions of the Everdrive PCB not fitting in the DMG carts. In the marketplace thread he does appear to have at least purchased shipping labels, which required spending money, as I don't know of any other way to generate a USPS tracking number. But why he'd wait wait this long to take them to the post office, which is a ten minute drive from his home based on google maps, is beyond me.

He used his real name and address when corresponding with me, so if the situation isn't resolved soon I'll be using more direct, real world ways to contact him.

He doesn't even need to go anywhere. He bought the shipping already, he has the boxes already. All he would have to do is pack things up, tape the postage label to the box and hop onto the USPS website and they will pick up that huge stack of packages from your door for free, so even laziness isn't a great excuse.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

univbee posted:

^^I'm tempted depending on how painful shipping it to Canada will be.

Oof. Probably way too much, honestly. A conservative estimate is probably $40 or more. $55 at the most for the large flat rate box.

It's a shame shipping across the border costs so much.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

univbee posted:

There's still no way to run PS1 burns on a softmodded PS2 is there?

I'm interested in knowing this as well, and read somewhere that it can be done, can in the loosest sense. I could have sworn somewhere that you can even "backup" PS1 games via the PS2 with some type of Browser 2.0 softmod.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I'm just posting to say that I did get my Mega Everdrive from Acid back during that group buy. And I also bought a Free McBoot memory card the first time he did a sale, and received it within a short amount of time.

That was the only group buy I went in on. I even gifted him the money via Paypal. Even then, I thought it seemed like too much work/little reward to get all those donor cases for all those boards. He even printed covers for the universal storage boxes that he shipped them in. I figured he was doing the lord's work, even though it ate into the discount that warranted the group buy in the first place.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fatpat268 posted:

Oof. Probably way too much, honestly. A conservative estimate is probably $40 or more. $55 at the most for the large flat rate box.

It's a shame shipping across the border costs so much.

I might still go for it if the price is right, but if you don't want to make things difficult I understand.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

trunkwontopen posted:

Maybe that is for a group buy? Mine came in a clear GBC-like case, it says GAME on the top, wrapped in an anti-static bag.

I guess you can save $10 on Stone Age Gamer buying it without the case as opposed to buying it from Retrogate? Still doesn't seem like the $10 is worth all that dicking around to me, even if poo poo didn't get hosed up.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Has anyone ever successfully received an item from this dude? Ever? I'm genuinely curious. He offered me a 32X last year and I almost bought it, now I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Yes, My regular SNES came from him. Unfortunately, It was busted up in transport by the USPS but I did get a refund.

The Free McBoot card on the other hand is only a mailing code and little else right now. It's only $9 so I'm willing to waiting until he gets his life together.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 12, 2014

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

I bought one from Gamestop for that very reason but then returned it because it sounded like a jet engine. They have a very generous return policy if it doesn't work out. Just double-check that they still do that before you walk out with it.

Also, a newer slim PS3 and a slim PS2 would be a quieter and more reliable setup.

I just got back from Gamestop an hour ago and they said I have 7 days to return it. I'm going to take it back today because it also sounds like a jet engine. I have a slim PS3 and a slim PS2 already. I just don't like how 480i PS2 games look on my HDTV.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mill Village posted:

I just got back from Gamestop an hour ago and they said I have 7 days to return it. I'm going to take it back today because it also sounds like a jet engine. I have a slim PS3 and a slim PS2 already. I just don't like how 480i PS2 games look on my HDTV.

By and large the PS3 doesn't really change that. If your PS2 is hooked up with component cables there a few games that support progressive scan, although some require you to hold down buttons as the game is booting up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

McCracAttack posted:

I bought one from Gamestop for that very reason but then returned it because it sounded like a jet engine.

IMHO any fat PS3 owner needs to be prepared to do maintenance on their console. The 90nm CellBE and RSX make a ton of heat and Sony isn't the best at putting them together.

Look at the :gizz: that was inside mine when it came back from an official YLOD replacement:

That amount is working against you, and I always find their thermal compound dried and useless in used consoles. I cleaned all of that off and put about a rice grain sized blob of MX-4 in the center of both heat spreaders. Closed it back up and it went from jet engine to whisper quiet.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

So this refurb of mine was probably just had the dust cleaned out of it and didn't have the thermal paste replaced.

univbee posted:

By and large the PS3 doesn't really change that. If your PS2 is hooked up with component cables there a few games that support progressive scan, although some require you to hold down buttons as the game is booting up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

I guess that would explain why Wild Alter Code F didn't look much better on that PS3. Guess I'll stick with my Slim PS2 and PCSX2.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Things I did today

- Mailed the rest of the turbo ED's
- Mailed all but one SD2SNES because I'm one SD card short
- Mailed another batch of GBED's
- Mailed the PS2 mem cards

And now I'm going to start the process of emailing tracking numbers to like 40 different people. If you see your name here then I mailed a thing to you today and will send you a tracking number tonight to your paypal email.

JumbocactuarX27
MediumWellDone
bbcisdabomb
ptarmigans
Code Jockey
madpanda
parasyte
Tonde mo Nai
Quiet Feet
Hellfox
Quidnose
Pinguilten
Larry Horseplay
Eightbitminiboss
absolutely anything
PsyClops
Midnight Raider
Miles McCloud
capnbigboobies
RadicalR
RodShaft
Only Shallow
evilfunkyogi
Liquid Courage
minidracula
Monitor Burn

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 12, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just so we're all on the same page: you're selling stuff in here outside of SA-Mart? Because right now it seems like you've got a lot of people pissed off at you and I'm trying to understand why.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Acid tried to do charity work, but typical goon laziness overcame his good heart. Been there, done that.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Acid/Bing organized multiple group-buys (that got held up) rather than directly selling things.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just so we're all on the same page: you're selling stuff in here outside of SA-Mart? Because right now it seems like you've got a lot of people pissed off at you and I'm trying to understand why.

Yeah I am handling several group buys for flash carts at once. The memory card thing I am handling in SA Mart but there is a lot of overlap between that thread and this one so I mentioned it in that last post.

People are mad at me because I've been inactive lately and slow to ship them out. To explain what's been happening while keeping all the e/n out, I'm trying to manage three simultaneous group buys because after many very successful ones in the past I got too ambitious and tried to do like 4 at once and poo poo got all hosed.

1. Turbo Everdrive groupbuy. The turbo ED's got delayed forever because the shapeways shells I got were all hosed up and had to get them replaced. Then when I got the good ones I realized Retrogate sent me a newer re1. vision of boards which had components moved around. I fixed the shells by hand but have been too slow at getting them out.

2. SNES everdrive groupbuy. The SD2SNESes got here fine and I sent all (but one) out, but the box of Super ED's is held up in customs, so about $1200 of goon dollars is being hosed around with by USA customs. I am working on getting this resolved. If I can't get the box of Super Everdrives from customs, and Retrogate is not willing to replace them, I'll offer refunds or for me to buy you another flashcart at my expense.

3. Game Boy everdrive groupbuy. There weren't any problems except that the order arrived in three separate pieces. The only delay is bullshit drama with the goon I have been going to for all my flashcart labelmaking thus far which is sadly the reason the SNES everdrives and Game Boy everdrives won't be shipping with labels (labels should be coming in the near future from a different source though and shipping separately)

4. PS2 Free McBoot memory cards - I've just been too forgetful to get these sorted out in a timely manner. I hosed this one up hard simply by being lazy and absentminded.

Sorry again everyone, especially for the lack of communication. I wish laziness was the only problem right now, but I'm going to get everything shipped and proof of shipments posted all over in the next few days, and I promise I'll stick around long enough to see everyone get their stuff at long last

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Bing the Noize posted:

Things I did today

- Mailed the rest of the turbo ED's
- Mailed all but one SD2SNES because I'm one SD card short
- Mailed another batch of GBED's
- Mailed the PS2 mem cards

And now I'm going to start the process of emailing tracking numbers to like 40 different people. If you see your name here then I mailed a thing to you today and will send you a tracking number tonight to your paypal email.

JumbocactuarX27
MediumWellDone
bbcisdabomb
ptarmigans
Code Jockey
madpanda
parasyte
Tonde mo Nai
Quiet Feet
Hellfox
Quidnose
Pinguilten
Larry Horseplay
Eightbitminiboss
absolutely anything
PsyClops
Midnight Raider
Miles McCloud
capnbigboobies
RadicalR
RodShaft
Only Shallow
evilfunkyogi
Liquid Courage
minidracula
Monitor Burn

Just wanted to check in, because I'm not on this list and also didn't receive a tracking number from the Free McBoot thread. (Turbo ED/GBED/Free McBoot/PS2 SATA)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So now that I have Platinum and can actually PM people, I kind of want to set up some sort of 'Goons in Japan retro game network'. We could all keep an eye out for games other folks are looking for and see if we can get each other some good deals on games on our lists. Used game stores in Japan tend to have really great prices, and they take really good care of their games. I know we could all just buy a bunch of stuff on Amazon.co.jp or whatever, but I'm pretty sure buying it from Book Off or Seagull or Super Potato 8 will always be a better deal.

Should I start a new thread for this somewhere, or can I set it up here?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Regarding the Acid thing, a few months ago I tried to buy some Genesis games from him and he asked that I pay as gift. Like an idiot I did (:siren:NEVER PAY AS GIFT EVER:siren:) and never got the games. I did actually get my money back though, but it took a few weeks of personally asking what was going on in IRC querys. I'm not gonna jump in and start calling the dude a scammer because in my case only my time got robbed, I am gonna say if you want your poo poo or your money back you gotta really get on this dude's case about it.

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 13, 2014

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

For the longest time my personal white whale was a PC Engine since I'd read all about them as kids but never saw one in person. Ever since acquiring one, though, the one system that I desperately want but will probably never own is an X68k. Every time I see a picture of one they're just so dreamy, and the thought of having one set up in my office makes me swoon. :swoon:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

G-Prime posted:

I don't think they'll let you check it directly. Ask them what the date they received it on was, they track that in their inventory system. If it was before January 2011, you're probably fine. If not, ALL PS3s can be downgraded, but only to a FW revision that came out on or after that specific device's factory release date. If you get a fat one, you can drop it to whatever and then upgrade to 3.55 and be fine.

I think if anything past 3.55 was installed, even if it is a launch PS3 fat, you will need a modchip with so many wires you'll wish you were installing an NES RGB board.

If there's some cooler way to mod fat PS3s (using a non-greatest hits version of Splinter Cell or some wacky crap like that) I'd love to know it.

My launch PS3 fat is modded but it sounded like it was knocking on heaven's door since 2006.

Please don't post things like this :retrogames:

McCracAttack posted:

I bought one from Gamestop for that very reason but then returned it because it sounded like a jet engine. They have a very generous return policy if it doesn't work out. Just double-check that they still do that before you walk out with it.

Also, a newer slim PS3 and a slim PS2 would be a quieter and more reliable setup.

I bought the PS3 at launch and it has sounded like a hair dryer since then. I looked up guides online, and replaced the thermal paste (even though it never got the YLOD), and I even replaced the PSU with one from an 80 GB unit because they supposedly give off less heat (the PSU itself gets boiling hot). It made absolutely no difference, which is actually impressive. Also, my unit has the "better" fan (there's blades you are supposed to count; mine actually has the better one :psyduck: ).

With all of that done, it gets so loud when upscaling a DVD (that is seriously when my PS3 is at its worst) that I actually can't even watch the movie because it's so loud it has become distracting. I don't know why but upscaling DVDs is louder than even when playing a PS3 game. Maybe I just notice it more since movies tend to be more quiet.

Still, try to find the fatty if you can. It's the only way to play PS1 ISOs as far as I know, though I suppose you can mod a newer slim (maybe). It really is oddly fascinating how it difficult it has been for people to hack the newer consoles, considering how laughably easy it was in the past. For Pete's sakes the Apple TV3 still hasn't been jailbroken yet. :stare:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think all the PS3 slims were specifically coded to stop reading double-sided blu-rays when the latest model came out. It's like everybody's just collectively poo poo the bed last year around this time.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Thanks for the update Acid/Bing! Any news is certainly good news, and I eagerly wait for my name to appear on a list in the near future. Hope all is going well.

Getsuya posted:

So now that I have Platinum and can actually PM people, I kind of want to set up some sort of 'Goons in Japan retro game network'. We could all keep an eye out for games other folks are looking for and see if we can get each other some good deals on games on our lists. Used game stores in Japan tend to have really great prices, and they take really good care of their games. I know we could all just buy a bunch of stuff on Amazon.co.jp or whatever, but I'm pretty sure buying it from Book Off or Seagull or Super Potato 8 will always be a better deal.

Should I start a new thread for this somewhere, or can I set it up here?

Unless I misunderstood, the fact that you're willing to help out goons who don't live in Japan is awesome. Just out of curiosity, approximately how much is it to ship something say the size of a gaming console to the US? I've only dealt with retail businesses which always slap on a few different processing fees so it makes it hard to me to really tell.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Progskeet has a socket you just shove on top of the chip for programming so it isn't extremely terrible however very inconvenient.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Agrias120 posted:

Just wanted to check in, because I'm not on this list and also didn't receive a tracking number from the Free McBoot thread. (Turbo ED/GBED/Free McBoot/PS2 SATA)

Don't worry, everyone not on that list I posted I still know about and you will be taken care of. It will be before Saturday things are shipped, I promise. I would have done them all today if I had the time. You didn't get a tracking in the mcboot thread because you are waiting on several things from me (not just the mcboot card)

I've legit had a box sitting in my room with "AGRIAS120" written on it. I just need to find it and plop a GBED in that poo poo.

PS on my next update I will also post a big list of "people who I think are all taken care of" so you can yell at me if I missed you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Shame you can't do international stuff, Getsuya. Some folks would really like copies of Just Breed (to replace with the english version) and a handful of MMC5-based Koei games (to turn into Minus Infinity) since flashcarts can't handle full use of MMC5.

• Locked thread