Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There's no set standard for what Pre-Alpha, Alpha, and Beta actually mean. It's different for each company.

In the case of Star Citizen, it will always be pre-alpha even after the game is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Bozonofski posted:

What's your citizen number? Or were you specifically hand picked?

I'm almost certain this will be completely unplayable for me due to :australia:

Relatively high - I don't know. Maybe they liked my work on Goonrathi War.

They've been talking about UK-specific testing internally, so there's a good chance they'll want crazy foreigners testing just as much as America-bound folk once they ramp things up further.

So yeah - after playing a bit more, the game unsurprisingly is missile-spam-heavy when played in multiplayer. Countermeasures are generally pretty effective against them so long as you remember to mash the button constantly, but in larger-scale matches it's just chaos. The netcode also of course does need work - other player ships start bouncing and spinning around all over the place after awhile.

But in the smaller-scale matches I've played have been pretty awesome and has worked OK, especially once we start taking each other apart with guns. Fun space game is fun.

And so far the people they've picked out seem to be community heavy-hitters really committed to proper testing (one of them is even leading the charge on getting everyone running a proper debug environment to grab stack traces for tracking down crashes). This should hopefully help the developers get the game out of the unwieldy state it's in now into something good really quickly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can't even tell you how angry I am that the rig I built for this came with two broken hard drives.

Western digital has robbed me of weeks of blowing people up in space.

BickidWoody
May 8, 2014
My WD drive died after only a couple months of use :(

Anyone else get Multiplayer? Any thoughts?

Bozonofski
Sep 22, 2009

Parias posted:

But in the smaller-scale matches I've played have been pretty awesome and has worked OK, especially once we start taking each other apart with guns. Fun space game is fun.

Cheers, genuinely appreciate feedback.

On a slightly related note, have they messed with the flight model? On my first swarm mode since patch it seems my controls have changed a little.
It feels like I'm getting more oversteer and wobble on my 300i, but the finer movements seem much easier - maybe changes to the targeting computer?
It feels like I'm killing enemies quicker and they're killing me quicker - but this could be my imagination.

Also, I'm getting weird graphical artifacts when I load in that slowly fix themselves up.

Edit: Can anyone talk me through how to change my shield balance? Can I make my stern shields more effective?

Bozonofski fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 13, 2014

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Bozonofski posted:

It feels like I'm getting more oversteer and wobble on my 300i, but the finer movements seem much easier

I noticed this as well in the Hornet. At first I thought I was just crazy, but its definitely noticeable. I had to spend a bit more time fighting the controls than I had previously. I got used to it, but it still pissed me off.

Bozonofski
Sep 22, 2009

Wulfling posted:

I noticed this as well in the Hornet. At first I thought I was just crazy, but its definitely noticeable. I had to spend a bit more time fighting the controls than I had previously. I got used to it, but it still pissed me off.

I only notice it when I pull hard on the stick (I'm playing with an x52) so it's not too bad. I'm finding smaller more precise movements far easier.
Don't know how this will impact mouse players, probably adversely.

MatchstickJim
Nov 10, 2013
Chiming in on the weapons side of things, I've done a few more runs with pure non-laser weaponry (Twin 11-Series Broadswords+60mm Mass Driver) aaaaand they are still complete rear end.

Tracking seems to be the major problem from what I can tell. Shots are firing WAAAAaaay off and in some instances even in the entirely wrong direction. Few hits I have achieved do slim to nil more than flicker their shields a bit. Hopefully this'll change along the way but for the moment I'd strongly recommend away from these things. Until they sort it out the laser weapons are going to be the best bet. To date the only kills I've gotten off this garbage are kamikaze impacts trying to get the things to train on my target correctly.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The series 11 Broadsword and Mass Driver only do 2.6 damage a shot. Don't use them they're bad. Use Omnisky VIs (80 damage a shot) or NN-13 Neutron (116 damage a shot) guns on everything. Repeaters are garbage as well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still downloading the update so I can't comment on multiplayer but my experience with Vandul elites are that I only get a very narrow window of opportunity to fire on them. As such my preference would be slow firing high power weapons like Omniskys. The rapid fire guns certainly do a lot of damage but they require you to actually stay on target for a few seconds, which is easier said than done at times.

Maybe the rapid fire weapons are better when shooting fatter & slower targets like the Freelancer? I mean the Vandul fighters are probably going to be the hardest ships to hit period, until the M50s get implemented anyway.

Dredrum
Nov 21, 2013

Shoot to kill!

Eldragon posted:

I wish I could stand over your shoulder and see what you're doing, because I don't struggle with the controls much at all. Every once in a while a I get a thruster induced wobble, but for the most part it feels fairly natural; Maybe I'm not fighting the inertia but riding along with it? There's also rumors that its CPU/PhysX dependent? I Seriously have no idea.

It IS a complex flight model, certainly not the instant response you get from other space games; so you got to be more tactical in your controls. I read a lot of reports from players who are cranking the throttle to 100% at all times, never using decouple, etc. Doing that and you're going to be in for a bad time.

Same here I just wish we could strafe while coupled even if it's a little bit.

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Othin posted:

I was going to post something about how she's scamming taking advantage of geeks but then I remembered I gave Chris Roberts a bunch of money so I'm just going to go cut my wrists instead. Ok bye!
These are the moments when I regret not having tits. Not even manboobs or something. I could be showered in cash for what I do best: Sitting around half naked playing video games.

Informed Consent fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 13, 2014

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Informed Consent posted:

These are the moments when I regret not having tits. Not even manboobs or something. I could be showered in cash for what I do best: Sitting around half naked playing video games.

Just because it's the thing you do MOST doesn't mean it's the thing you do BEST.

Edit: The Omniskis are pretty ridiculous. Having gone from an Aurora with terrible shitcannons to a 300i with Omniskis, the time to kill a drone drops to a ridiculously low level.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 13, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Omniskys are completely and utterly ridiculous.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DatonKallandor posted:

Just wait until they put Freelancers in AC with quad-whatever those big guns are.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Parias posted:

So yeah - after playing a bit more, the game unsurprisingly is missile-spam-heavy when played in multiplayer. Countermeasures are generally pretty effective against them so long as you remember to mash the button constantly, but in larger-scale matches it's just chaos. The netcode also of course does need work - other player ships start bouncing and spinning around all over the place after awhile.

Watching a stream a bit, it looks like they need to lower the number of players in a given match. Aside from the fact that the lag is all over the place, the current maps are tiny anyways so too many players seems to turn things into a meaningless brawl (which can be fun in it's own right, but still).

Wulfling posted:

Yeah, I've been seeing people saying that the flight model got adjusted some, and I thought it was people just imagining it since the patch notes don't say anything about that, but after trying the 300i again it definitely felt different - it actually felt worse to me.

DatonKallandor posted:

I wouldn't expect any kind of weapon balance at this stage. A lot of weapons don't even work. It makes me laugh when I see people dropping real money on subject-to-change guns in the Voyager Direct store.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Dropping $8 on a gun is no worse than buying gold ammo.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Dropping $8 on a gun is no worse than buying gold ammo.

This is one of those statements that you can take either way; it's like a psych evaluation for bad videogame decisions. :golfclap:

I wonder if the prices in the Voyager Direct store are in scale with the prices in the PU? Is a 300i going to cost about twice as much as an Aurora in-game? More importantly, is two guns going to be the price of half an Aurora? It just makes me wonder how the economics of things will work.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

imperialparadox posted:

This is one of those statements that you can take either way; it's like a psych evaluation for bad videogame decisions. :golfclap:

I wonder if the prices in the Voyager Direct store are in scale with the prices in the PU? Is a 300i going to cost about twice as much as an Aurora in-game? More importantly, is two guns going to be the price of half an Aurora? It just makes me wonder how the economics of things will work.

Schrödinger's Wallet.

I think the prices are completely anus extractus at this point, especially when combined with the context of the $1:1000 UEC exchange ratio. Expecting people to pay $8 for what is essentially trash in the game is pretty silly, but people pay it now because they have no context. The most obvious point I can think of is the loving GreyCat. $15 will buy you a pair of battleships in EVE Online. Here it will buy you a glorified golf cart.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Schrödinger's Wallet.

I think the prices are completely anus extractus at this point, especially when combined with the context of the $1:1000 UEC exchange ratio. Expecting people to pay $8 for what is essentially trash in the game is pretty silly, but people pay it now because they have no context. The most obvious point I can think of is the loving GreyCat. $15 will buy you a pair of battleships in EVE Online. Here it will buy you a glorified golf cart.

Hey, its not pay to win when you're buying tier 1 vendor trash items.

I can't wait until AC supports unlocking item upgrades and everyone who rushed out to buy guns on voyager direct find their weapons are useless.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

imperialparadox posted:

Watching a stream a bit, it looks like they need to lower the number of players in a given match.

How many players are there in each instance at present and what streams are people watching?

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The most obvious point I can think of is the loving GreyCat. $15 will buy you a pair of battleships in EVE Online. Here it will buy you a glorified golf cart.

Now now - it's still up in the air as to if the Graycat will turn out to be deadlier than a pair of EVE battleships.

But yeah, the Voyager store prices are a bit hosed. I remember it was so bad when it first launched that they actually had to respond to all the controversy right away and look at some tuning ("This leads to a dichotomy in value – of course a poster should be a lot less than a laser gun!") so I wonder how this is going to hold up over the long term.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eldragon posted:

I can't wait until AC supports unlocking item upgrades and everyone who rushed out to buy guns on voyager direct find their weapons are useless.

Exactly. CIG is going to turn AC into basically War Thunder: Space Edition and people are going to go apeshit. Then in a few years maybe they'll have a PU. Maybe. Just like MWO will have community warfare any minute now.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Schrödinger's Wallet.

Well said. But even if it became a pay2win would it even matter in a PU. In eve people pay billions for ships and fittings and lose them in the silliest of ways. I mean would pay2win not benefit pirates more, via easy loot from new players. Even in WOT if someone shoots a gold ammo round at me I play differently to counter them and still come out on top due to experience. End of the day as long as someone is keeping an eye on the economy and actively working to balance the books then I am happy. Worst case scenario would be all these paid for items now depreciate to where they almost worthless because newer better items replace them. I am sure in time that might happen but by then people will hopefully not care as those who started from the beginning should have earned enough UEC as inflation goes up.

brakanjan fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 13, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

MatchstickJim posted:

Chiming in on the weapons side of things, I've done a few more runs with pure non-laser weaponry (Twin 11-Series Broadswords+60mm Mass Driver) aaaaand they are still complete rear end.

I'm pretty sure any guns that aren't default mounted on one of the 3 trainer ships simply don't have stats yet. Especially ballistics - they're supposed to go through shields, which means you should get damage number pop-ups on every hit regardless of shield state of the enemy. That's clearly not happening with the 60mm Mass Driver and I doubt it's happening for any of the Sword series guns either.
The ones that work right now are: Behring (lovely, need to fire slower, deal more damage and drain energy slower), Omnisky (completely broken can one and two shot scythes and recharge ridiculously fast), Size 1 Repeater (projectile speed is crap, can barely hit, if it does it's basically a Behring with a slightly higher fire rate and slightly less damage) and huge Miniguns (I don't have a Hornet but supposedly they're awesome?).

Does the Hornet mount anything that isn't one of these by default?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Exactly. CIG is going to turn AC into basically War Thunder: Space Edition and people are going to go apeshit. Then in a few years maybe they'll have a PU. Maybe. Just like MWO will have community warfare any minute now.

This made me laugh a little too hard, then it made me sad. Who else bought all eight gold clan mechs?

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

UoI posted:

This made me laugh a little too hard, then it made me sad. Who else bought all eight gold clan mechs?

I got all 8 gold clan mechs too!

Bozonofski
Sep 22, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen already has community warfare :colbert:

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm pretty sure any guns that aren't default mounted on one of the 3 trainer ships simply don't have stats yet. Especially ballistics - they're supposed to go through shields, which means you should get damage number pop-ups on every hit regardless of shield state of the enemy. That's clearly not happening with the 60mm Mass Driver and I doubt it's happening for any of the Sword series guns either.
The ones that work right now are: Behring (lovely, need to fire slower, deal more damage and drain energy slower), Omnisky (completely broken can one and two shot scythes and recharge ridiculously fast), Size 1 Repeater (projectile speed is crap, can barely hit, if it does it's basically a Behring with a slightly higher fire rate and slightly less damage) and huge Miniguns (I don't have a Hornet but supposedly they're awesome?).

Does the Hornet mount anything that isn't one of these by default?

Not the trainer.

Neutron guns work as well, and are essentially omnisky dps but better alpha/slower reload and lower muzzle velocity. Good for quick, close passes.

I don't think the mass driver actually does any damage at all. Gatling loses it's ammo if moved.

So until they start balancing guns it's all omnisky all the way. Neutrons and gatlings for variety.

Under the current damage model I am unsure where the spray and pray weapons are supposed to fit, even if balancing brings their dps in line you just can't keep fighters in your sights all that long. Perhaps they could be more energy/heat efficient by spreading the load or something, which in turn makes them harder to scan/lock?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

If their DPS over longer periods was any good the Repeaters would have a niche in shooting at bigger, slower targets. They're not any less accurate weirdly, it's the just the projectile speed that's lower. They should just bump up the speed of the bolts to Behring/Omnisky levels and add some cone of fire. It's a rotary rapid fire laser - it's okay if that sprays a little compared to the slow firing Omnisky.

The Repeaters would also feel a lot more impressive if the Behring didn't fire just as fast with practically the same damage (but proper projectile speed).

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Come now brave Citizen, where is your sense of loyalty? Chris Roberts is a visionary and will have the game out on time. Remember, he never delayed anything, those previous dates were just estimates and the netcode fix is almost finished!

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
If people don't think the current microtransactions will be replaced with other microtransactions when it becomes War Thunder in Spaaace for two years I don't know what to tell you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Unfunny Poster posted:

Come now brave Citizen, where is your sense of loyalty? Chris Roberts is a visionary and will have the game out on time. Remember, he never delayed anything, those previous dates were just estimates and the netcode fix is almost finished!

We have always been at war with Elite: Dangerous.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

We have always been at war with Elite: Dangerous.

And we are winning! Hail Chris(t), we are beating Braben again with a better game that has a better user experience and plan.

Edit - All joking aside pretty much the microtransaction bullshit, along with some of the other boneheaded CIG moves, have shown that Roberts & Co. are really not that different than any other developer who throws on microtransactions just because. They didn't want to be like those evil people like EA or Microsoft, who force the unacceptable concept of "deadlines" on projects, but are more than ok with acting like them by making hilariously broken pay-to-win poo poo intended to milk more money out of gullible people (without having to make the items they're selling actually in the game yet). CIG are a parody of what they preach and it's wonderful to watch :allears:. At least Squadron 42 can't be that hosed up by these decisions, I think.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 13, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So has Star Citizen really turned into an online only free to play game with an absurd cash shop?

At least there is Elite: Dangerous then.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

AP posted:

How many players are there in each instance at present and what streams are people watching?

The streamer I was watching said as many as 15-16, they were making a slight effort to join a game with less players due to lag. I can't guarantee that was the actual number though, since I'm just going by what they said (though it did seem to be quite a bit).

Eldragon posted:

If they go that route. It seems like Travis (the DFM guy) wants to do things that way, but he also said that they haven't finalized a decision yet, so I wonder if Roberts is perfectly happy selling "upgrades" for cash. People are paying for it afterall.

I mean, I could see an economy where a set of anti-vehicle guns costs as much as your space-car (Aurora), that would be perhaps realistic, but it will fall apart after the first hour of people playing the game and farming thrash-Vanduul for guns. I can actually see some arguments coming due to their detailed damage model - if you can see that the MegaBlaster 5000 is still in one piece on that wing that you blew off of an enemy ship a second ago, why couldn't you just pick it up for sell/use? The end result seems like there will be a lot of trash-tier equipment around, which comes back to your point about it being hilarious that people are spending real money on weapons.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm actually waiting to see what happens first: CW in MWO or the PU for SC.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

LividLiquid posted:

I can't even tell you how angry I am that the rig I built for this came with two broken hard drives.

Western digital has robbed me of weeks of blowing people up in space.

Actually, you robbed yourself. When you "bought" this "game".

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

So has Star Citizen really turned into an online only free to play game with an absurd cash shop?

Free to play? No, you need to pay $35 for the most basic ship, then another $5 for the multiplayer access.

As for absurd cash shop, visit the Voyager Direct store and tell me if paying $15 for a golf cart or a 1:1000 USD:in-game currency exchange isn't a good design decision.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Chalets the Baka posted:

Actually, you robbed yourself. When you "bought" this "game".

You might be surprised by the number of goons who have actually turned a profit at Chris Roberts' Star Spaceship Salesman. I haven't done nearly as well as some goons and I'm sitting at a net profit with two ships still in my hangar. CIG's business decisions / people who bought my ships at a 200%+ markup literally paid for me to play this game and take my fiancee out to a nice dinner / night on the town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

No. At this point it's basically a multiplayer (for some) tech demo. CIG has said that they plan on expanding AC over time to include multiple features. First mass multiplayer (1.0), then multi-crew ships, then adding the FPS element with boarding (currently projected for GamesCom), then the PU alpha in 2015. Given CIG's track record none of those dates should be taken seriously.

The cash shop is something CIG tacked on because people are stupid and will buy anything. I have seen multiple pubbies brag about maxing out their $150 credit limit in preparation for a game that won't be out for two years. There is no real game for people to win by buying stuff.

• Locked thread