Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And don't bother with the achievements. There's one for maxing out the AP on every materia in the game. I didn't even have the patience to do that when I was a kid with unlimited free time.

Eh, I got all the achievements and have 69 total hours played, which I'm sure includes a couple hours of idling. It's not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Fat Samurai posted:

Another good way to get more time before a trace hits you is to bounce through servers you have access to. The easiest way to do it is to open an account in each game bank (search "bank" in Internic).

My usual starting gambit is to open accounts in all banks, get loans, get password craker max version (skip the dictionary ones AND TraceTracker), get log deleter max version and complete some easy jobs. If you don't have enough cash for log deleter do a few easy jobs anyway, because if your bounce is long enough the traces will take at least a couple real time hours, enough for you to complete a lot of jobs and still delete your traces on Internic.

A couple more tips:

- If you want to play on the stock market, buy stock for the companies that you take jobs from. After doing the job, wait until it hits the news and your stock will be worth much more.
- Divert CPU power to the program you are using RIGHT NOW with the arrows at each side of the programs. That will speed up cracking stuff.
- Don't make a long bounce chain in missions where you have to frame someone. You'll fail the mission because the trace is too long and the game can't trace it back to your scapegoat.
- Don't do incremental upgrades, at least at the start. Either buy the best version of a program or don't buy it at all.

Also you can gain a ridiculous amount of money if you got the speed and the guts to do it. Sometimes you'll get a mission where they want you to hack someone's bank account to find the balance and it'll be a ridiculous amount, over $200M. What you'll need is set up an account in the bank you are going to hack, hack the bank with all the cipher crackers, transfer the money to your account in that same bank. Wipe the records of the transaction on both accounts and then do what Stelas outlined. Basically there are two types of traces: Passive and Active. Active is the countdown that you get when you are hacking. Passive doesn't give any indication that its undergoing. Even if you clear the logs and disconnect before the active trace hits you, IT personnel will follow the switch and router logs and find you. Usually within 24 hours. The bank hack I mentioned before gets a REALLY fast passive trace...measured in seconds. You get about 20 seconds to transfer the money, delete the transaction records and wipe the records at interNIC. Once you do this, you don't need to take a job again, you can dedicate yourself to the plot.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yip Yips posted:

I got all the achievements and have 69 total hours played

My god.

THE PERFECT SAVE FILE. :stare:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 17, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Stelas posted:

4) You'll see some lines:

[time] Connection from (your IP) established
[time] Connection from (your IP) logged off
[time] Connection from (your IP) established (the connection you're on right now)
[time] (your IP) gained admin priviledges

Only delete the lines in bold. You want to remove any indication that you pathed through Internic, and you want to remove the fact that you logged into the admin account - but if you remove the line that isn't bolded, the logs will end up with a logoff line that isn't matched up to a logon line, and the powers that be will know you tampered with the logs.

A note on this, you can choose to delete either of the 2 connection established logs, it doesn't matter which, so don't stress out. Just make sure that InterNIC displays the same number of connected and disconnected lines.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Magres posted:

Mount and Blade Warband

Do you have any mod recommendations? I seem to remember there being several "Vanilla plus" type mods floating around.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Final Fantasy 3. Psp edition. What do I need to know to make this as painless as possible?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ineffiable posted:

Final Fantasy 3. Psp edition. What do I need to know to make this as painless as possible?

Play the NES version. The DS version (and subsequent PSP/PC/mobile ports) addresses absolutely none of the legitimate problems with the game, adds a bunch of bullshit difficulty, attempts to balance classes that were never meant to be so because they were your endgame crutches, and just all around is a really terrible version of the game.

That said:

- Thieves are fantastic classes, and you should pretty much always have at least one unless you absolutely need a specific party for something. They give you a reliable running option, and they can use weapons like boomerangs which let them attack from full damage in the back row. Combined with their crazy high agility, they will almost certainly be your first class that hits for 9999, long before anyone else is close.

- Magic is pretty useless, all things considered. Having a White Mage/Devout is pretty handy, because you definitely want to have healing and buffs at the ready but otherwise physical is almost always better. High-end MP is extremely limited until the very end of the game.

- Your stats are recalculated in each job as you switch between them (and higher job levels mean you do better at that job) EXCEPT HP. If you spend 50 levels as a Black Belt, you will have a fuckton more HP than someone who spent 50 levels as a Black Mage. It is extremely recommended to spend some time in Monk and Black Belt to jack up your HP (they have the highest two HP growths in the game).

- I admit it's been a while since I've played, but Black Belt, Geomancer, Dragoon, Thief, Ninja, Dark Knight, Devout, and Sage seem to stand out as the most useful classes in the game.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 17, 2014

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

TerryLennox posted:

Also you can gain a ridiculous amount of money if you got the speed and the guts to do it. Sometimes you'll get a mission where they want you to hack someone's bank account to find the balance and it'll be a ridiculous amount, over $200M. What you'll need is set up an account in the bank you are going to hack, hack the bank with all the cipher crackers, transfer the money to your account in that same bank. Wipe the records of the transaction on both accounts and then do what Stelas outlined. Basically there are two types of traces: Passive and Active. Active is the countdown that you get when you are hacking. Passive doesn't give any indication that its undergoing. Even if you clear the logs and disconnect before the active trace hits you, IT personnel will follow the switch and router logs and find you. Usually within 24 hours. The bank hack I mentioned before gets a REALLY fast passive trace...measured in seconds. You get about 20 seconds to transfer the money, delete the transaction records and wipe the records at interNIC. Once you do this, you don't need to take a job again, you can dedicate yourself to the plot.

You can also do this without setting up an account at that bank if you don't want to for some reason. If you do it that way though, you need to delete the transaction records at both banks. This is especially funny, to me, to do using the Uplink bank itself, because hacking Uplink (ratting people out / loving fellow agents over is optional :getin:) is always hilarious.

I haven't played in a few months so I might be misremembering, but some other things: I've never found much use for the disables over the bypasses, so it might be worth saving some money there. I also seem to remember preferring the second-to-last gateway over the last for some reason. I think one of them has 3 security devices which is totally useless, you only need 2 ever.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Agnostalgia posted:

Do you have any mod recommendations? I seem to remember there being several "Vanilla plus" type mods floating around.

I've only ever played straight vanilla and the cRPG mod, which gives the multiplayer a somewhat MMO component that some dude runs the servers for.

Xander77 posted:

One thing about Mount and Blade - you might as well look up one of those graphic illustrations of which party members hate each other and which get along. You'll probably lose party members you invested in otherwise.

Yeah this is really, really worth doing. I don't have it offhand, but there's a list of like 8 party members you can mash together that won't conflict with each other. It's largely why I don't bother with int skills (though if you don't want to sperg out and research all the party member compatibilities in advance, pigdog is right and int skills own really hard). You can pimp them all out to party members - I'll usually give the first 2 people I find on my list enough points to turn them into light cavalry (which is like... 9 Dex, 9 Strength) and then pump int on them - you want them to be able to fight effectively or they won't level. I like skipping int on my main dude because I'd rather get 30 Charisma and as much strength and dex as possible past that, but you definitely have to do your research and make sure your skillmonkeys aren't going to get pissed at you and bail.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Going to play Knights of the Old Republic 2 for the first time. I have the restoration mod installed, anything else I need to know about? I'm mainly concerned about any annoying/game-breaking bugs.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Diplomacy's probably the best Warband mod in terms of Vanilla+ action. There's also a Pre-Battle Orders and Deployment mod that's available packaged together with Diplomacy. Both mostly add features and interface tweaks with only minor gameplay changes. I highly recommend Diplomacy as it adds a trio of mooks to help you run a government with their dialogue menus.

Notable Diplomacy Features:

Send out recruiters to accumulate appropriate ethnic Recruits and drop them back off at your castle/town.
Send out caravans to take gifts to lords/ladies/settlements to improve relations.
Have one of your mooks train dudes in the garrison automatically.
Store lots of junk in inventories accessed by talking to the three mooks.
Set leaderless Patrols (their unit cap is your unit cap) to defend stuff (NPCs do this too)

All such conveniences cost denars, of course, and you have to pay the three mooks just to stand around even when you're not using them for anything, so it's pretty balanced.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Any tips for party configurations and the like for expedition conquistadors?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Artix posted:

Play the NES version. The DS version (and subsequent PSP/PC/mobile ports) addresses absolutely none of the legitimate problems with the game, adds a bunch of bullshit difficulty, attempts to balance classes that were never meant to be so because they were your endgame crutches, and just all around is a really terrible version of the game.

I made the mistake of starting with the DS version, and gently caress that poo poo. Rummage through pawn shops for an NES cart or find it on eBay (though it's going for close to what a AAA current-gen title retails these days). Seriously, the remake is garbage, which is a shame because it looks like a lot of work went into it.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

ImPureAwesome posted:

Any tips for party configurations and the like for expedition conquistadors?

For fights, I always brought some combo of 4 scouts/soldiers and then 2 doctors. Ranged attacks are pretty crappy, I'm pretty sure they do less damage in addition to having a miss chance. Flanking with melee attacks is really good and scouts are great at setting those up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I made the mistake of starting with the DS version, and gently caress that poo poo. Rummage through pawn shops for an NES cart or find it on eBay (though it's going for close to what a AAA current-gen title retails these days). Seriously, the remake is garbage, which is a shame because it looks like a lot of work went into it.

FF3 nes is a Japanese only release. Play Bravely Default, it's the spiritual successor and one of square's best old school style game in over a decade (I don't like ff4 but I guess I'd count the PSP version)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

chairface posted:

Diplomacy's probably the best Warband mod in terms of Vanilla+ action. There's also a Pre-Battle Orders and Deployment mod that's available packaged together with Diplomacy. Both mostly add features and interface tweaks with only minor gameplay changes. I highly recommend Diplomacy as it adds a trio of mooks to help you run a government with their dialogue menus.

Notable Diplomacy Features:

Send out recruiters to accumulate appropriate ethnic Recruits and drop them back off at your castle/town.
Send out caravans to take gifts to lords/ladies/settlements to improve relations.
Have one of your mooks train dudes in the garrison automatically.
Store lots of junk in inventories accessed by talking to the three mooks.
Set leaderless Patrols (their unit cap is your unit cap) to defend stuff (NPCs do this too)

All such conveniences cost denars, of course, and you have to pay the three mooks just to stand around even when you're not using them for anything, so it's pretty balanced.

This sounds really great, one of the worst things about vanilla M&B:WB is that you have to hang around your towns and castles constantly to defend them. Getting assigned a town on a border with an unfriendly country is the least fun thing ever because you have to camp it the rest of the game if you ever want money out of it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Magres posted:

This sounds really great, one of the worst things about vanilla M&B:WB is that you have to hang around your towns and castles constantly to defend them. Getting assigned a town on a border with an unfriendly country is the least fun thing ever because you have to camp it the rest of the game if you ever want money out of it.

This is still a major factor as your patrols act just like lords and will run away from groups larger/more powerful than them. They also aren't particularly smart in terms of "I should go join the combat where a minor lord of my faction is losing to an enemy lord, rather than the one where one of our caravans is winning against some bandits." Still, the little bastards are great for bandit suppression, just be sure a leaderless group will still be fast enough. This means using cavalry troops exclusively or near exclusively in your patrols if you expect them to ever catch Steppe or Desert Bandits.

The other downside to patrols is that they're also stupid when it comes time to decide whether or not to take freed captives of a defeated group into their group or not. I sure am glad my 70 Khergit Lancer, 70 Khergit Veteran Horse Archer patrol decided they needed those farmers and peasant women they saved from some bandits and now go like half as fast.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anything to know as I start Might & Magic X - Legacy? I haven't played a non-HOMM Might & Magic game in a looooong time.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anything to know as I start Might & Magic X - Legacy? I haven't played a non-HOMM Might & Magic game in a looooong time.

There's a thread that got a lot of traffic at the time of the game's release.

There was a major balance patch released after I stopped playing, so some of my info is out of date. Things that I think are still valid:

• Ability points are somewhat limited, enough that you'll want to plan ahead what you want to level to Grandmaster.
  • There doesn't seem to be one "best" party; at least, it seems that way since lots of people have lots of different opinions on what's best. I consider that to be a good thing. Classes that are generally acknowledged to be strong include bladedancer, freemage, crusader, and runepriest. I had a ton of fun with a crusader, bladedancer, shaman, and freemage party and didn't have any significant trouble finishing the game on hard difficulty.
  • Grandmastery in weapons is important. This point and the first one means that the human mercenary (who doesn't GM a weapon but can Master a lot of weapons) isn't that great, since you really want to be deep instead of broad when it comes to stat investment.
  • Grandmaster in offensive spell schools is important, partly for the special GM spells you get but also because being a GM means you get to lower enemy resistance by a great deal.
  • Grandmaster in a lot of the non-weapon, non-spell schools is not nearly as important. This may help you portion out your ability points. In particular, I found investment in armor skills to be not all that great.
  • It can be nice to have one guy with heavy armor and the warfare skill (which gives a taunt) to act as a tank. But dodgy naked guys make valid melee warriors too.
  • Multiple hits are nice, especially with damage buff weapons, so (at least before the balance patch) bladedancers and to a lesser extent rangers were pretty great.
  • Ranged weapons are not great, although apparently getting to GM in bows is pretty bitchin'. Waiting until you get to that point can be painful. I think this was partially addressed in the balance patch.
  • The outdoor areas are purposely mixed with respect to the levels of enemies you'll encounter. So if you're level 5, it's pretty easy to walk into a cave and get destroyed by a level 20 dragon. You're meant to save that for later, don't beat your head against a wall.
  • Standard difficulty isn't that tough for an old-school RPG veteran. The advanced difficulty is pretty tough and requires careful conservation of spell points and consumables, but isn't insanely difficult.

Overall, if you were handy with the old school (MM4-8) Might and Magic games, you should do fine with MMX after a learning curve. It's a good game, and well worth playing.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Artix posted:

I kinda wondered why a game that didn't seem that hard when I played it on an emulator at age twelve was kicking my rear end all over the place when I got it on DS. I didn't even bother with the final dungeon, it was just too absurd.

But in the same vein, Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light tips? I asked a few posts ago but it was right before a page break and I think it was overlooked :(

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ThePariah posted:

Going to play Knights of the Old Republic 2 for the first time. I have the restoration mod installed, anything else I need to know about? I'm mainly concerned about any annoying/game-breaking bugs.

I just replayed the game with the restoration mod and didn't encounter any bugs. As long as you don't load any other mods you should be able to play straight through without problem. You will run into some problems with the sound cutting out during cut scenes or skipping all the dialogue but its a minor issue.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Picked up Two Worlds in the GOG sale. Any mods or things I should know to get the most out of it?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
For Assassins Creed 4, if you really want to break the game and earn lots of money without much effort, then download the companion app for it, and play the Kenway's fleet game. With just a little time and effort, you can bring in about 10,000 reales while barely doing anything within about 5 hours time. You can do it in game, but the companion app allows you to play it from anywhere.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

pentyne posted:

I just replayed the game with the restoration mod and didn't encounter any bugs. As long as you don't load any other mods you should be able to play straight through without problem. You will run into some problems with the sound cutting out during cut scenes or skipping all the dialogue but its a minor issue.

Unless they've trimmed it down some recently, one really annoying thing TSLRCM does is massively extend the end part of Nar Shadaa. It's one of the parts where you can see why this stuff was cut in the first place because it's very long, very pointless, and doesn't significantly enhance the ending of the planet in anyway. It's also annoying to play just to round things out.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
Yet another post from me in here - I just cashed out my GMG credit for Rise of Nations: Extended Edition. I haven't played this for years, and can't remember what I'm doing. Also, is there a thread/Steam group for this on here?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Mock and Droll posted:

Yet another post from me in here - I just cashed out my GMG credit for Rise of Nations: Extended Edition. I haven't played this for years, and can't remember what I'm doing. Also, is there a thread/Steam group for this on here?

It has a decent tutorial. I suggest playing on the easiest difficulty to refresh yourself on tech trees.

Each city can hold 5 farms (one nation can do 7), as many lumber and mining camps as there are forests and mountains, and 1 of each economic building. Each building in the build radius counts towards the size of the city. The size of the city determines how much hp it has when being blown up for capturing.

Knowledge is the only resource that doesn't have a commerce cap other than the forced cap of 999. More universities is always better, if you like to use missiles. If you're playing Conquer the World and can't reach an age where missiles are buildable, you can destroy your unviversities/kill your scientists once you've researched everything in the library in order to free up pop cap.

Merchants on auto-explore will auto-build on a resource if you don't already have it. Rare resources are absolutely essential if you want to outpace your opponent. Extremely good ones are Citrus if you're on an ocean map, Diamonds all the time, Peacocks, and Sugar. The rest all do things that are useful, but not super critical.

Lumber Mills, Granaries, and Smelters in each city where their respective resources are produced are a must as they only work for the city they're in. Refineries are nationwide, so at least 3 will double your production. The hotkey combo B Z will build oil wells, and it will move your camera to the nearest one in your territory, or the nearest one in the ocean if there aren't any in your territory.

Wealth will likely be your slowest growing resource for awhile. You can speed that up by doing civic research and researching temple techs, while also expanding your territory. Territory is how you win. If you can block off your opponent from a shore line, they get no ships. No ships means no way to strike back outside of planes. Planes get hosed by AA sites. Stealth Bombers are immune to ground based AA, so having helis or fighters patrolling your border isn't a horrible idea if you're Information Age + final researches.

Science research is absolutely the most important. Military, Civic, and Commerce are ALMOST equally important, but Science makes ALL research cheaper and faster. One library will be sufficient, but I like to build 2 so I can research two things at once. It is worth it to have Science research alone before you upgrade the others, to save on the cost. I believe each rank of Science research reduces all other research by 10%, additive. The final stage of Science, post Information Age, makes all unit production instantaneous. If you have resources and you get that first, you basically win if you push like hell.

Nukes can be useful until the top tier Military research is completed, which prevents missiles from exploding in their territory. Don't nuke too much, however, because everyone loses, at that point. Or do, if you want to be petty.

Wonders are incredibly powerful. Stupidly, stupidly powerful. Probably the best early one is the Terracotta Army. It produces your leftmost barracks infantry unit every 30 seconds, with that time increasing by .5 seconds for each military unit you already have. The Colossus is also very useful for it's pop cap increase and wealth collection increase.

Mid-game, Versailles is fantastic. It allows your supply carts to heal your troops, even in combat. It isn't a lot of healing, but it's effective. Only 1 healing aura per cart counts. Supply carts are required for artillery to function in enemy territory, as they reload at a slower rate if they are unsupplied. Only siege weapons suffer this. All units suffer attrition in enemy territory if not supplied. Don't pull a Napoleon and fight Russia with no supply. One of Russia's powers, Russian Winter, will gently caress YOU UP. Russia practically doesn't need defenses if you attack them unsupplied. Unless you have the Statue of Liberty :911: Building the Kremlin and Statue of Liberty is a huge gently caress you to the other guy, because you're immune to their attrition, and your attrition is at Russian levels, and even higher if you're Russia.

Both Information Age wonders are incredibly powerful, and if you get there first, it is worth your while to build them. Space Program clears the fog of war entirely, and you make planes/missiles faster if you haven't maxed out Science yet. Super Collider is extremely useful if you use the market, and if you haven't maxed out research, makes everything researched instant, excepting unit based research. For getting the final researches for the 4 library techs, this is just... insanely useful, as they normally take a shitload of time. Of the two, get Super Collider first if you have library research left to do, or Space Program if you don't.

You can only have 1 wonder per city. The Forbidden City doesn't count, so you can build one there.

Unit producing buildings can set their rally point on a unit, and if that unit has a hotkey group, will auto join it if possible. These groups technically have a unit limit, but it's stupidly high. If you have that many units on the field and in the attack, you've probably already won, so set stragglers on whatever city you want to take out. You can hotkey buildings, so missile silos are a good one to have hotkeyed as a group. Pressing Q by default sets the build queue to infinite. Whatever is in that queue will build in the order you set it, until it runs out of resources. If you hit pop cap, it will wait until there's space. I like to have 4 barracks and have each one build its own unit, but that's just for fun. Flamethrowers are fantastic against buildings, especially towers, because they eject any garrisoned units, and also against entrenched units.

Flanking is a thing! Hit them from the side or behind if you can, because they will take 50% extra damage from the side, or 100% from behind. The engulf formation is handy for this.

American infantry units will entrench after being stationary for a few seconds, making them very durable to frontal assaults. Americans also benefit from an early army, as their barracks units produce food, metal, wood, and wealth just by existing. They aren't the best rush army, but they're pretty good.

The Dutch are basically unstoppable at commerce if you build up a store of resources. They defy the standard RTS idea of not banking resources. For every 100 resources they have stored, they gain extra production, and this extra production can go above the commerce cap by 50. Their merchants/caravans/supply wagons also have guns. The merchant's guns work when deployed, which will take out an enemy's merchant on its own.

I uh... really like this game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kruller posted:

It's dorky, but I always liked watching replays of multiplayer matches more than actually playing it myself. I always get overwhelmed, especially in multiplayer, with the amount of things to keep track of, I can't quite keep up with it in real time, but watching other people play, especially in games that go on to the information age, is always pretty cool.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011

Kruller posted:

drat, man. I used to obsess over this game, and there's so many things I didn't know there. Thanks for that. As for the civs, are there any really good choices or bad ones? Or is it fairly level?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

quote:

Wealth will likely be your slowest growing resource for awhile. You can speed that up by doing civic research and researching temple techs, while also expanding your territory.

Also build markets. Markets give some passive wealth generation in each city simply by existing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Great tips already for RoN but I'll add that Tab is your best friend. You should be hitting it every ten seconds or so. Also . selects an idle villie, .. selects all idle villies and , and ,, do the same for military units.

Terracotta Army is indeed great vs cpu, but weak against any decent human opponent because RoN follows a strict rock-paper-scissors dynamic and 50 of the light infantry it produces can be easily countered with a dozen units of their hard counter. I love when someone builds Terracotta Army in multiplayer, they are usually counting on it for the core of their army and it lets me know just what units to build to crush them.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 20, 2014

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
I just bought Dominions 4 and god help me I have no idea what I'm doing or what anything is and aaaaaaa.

Any tips? (is there a thing I have to do beyond kill all the everyone else, even)

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Any tips for Rise of the Triad 2013? Like, what to look for for secrets or something?

I am having tons of fun but I am missing most secrets.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Wolfsheim posted:

But in the same vein, Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light tips? I asked a few posts ago but it was right before a page break and I think it was overlooked :(

Do not play this game.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mock and Droll posted:

drat, man. I used to obsess over this game, and there's so many things I didn't know there. Thanks for that. As for the civs, are there any really good choices or bad ones? Or is it fairly level?

China is really, really good all-around - their power lets them build villagers, caravans, and merchants instantly. They can recover from being raided really fast and can start exploiting new resources (metal/oil), extra trade routes, and rare resources really fast.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Cirrial posted:

I just bought Dominions 4 and god help me I have no idea what I'm doing or what anything is and aaaaaaa.

Any tips? (is there a thing I have to do beyond kill all the everyone else, even)

If you didn't change the default win conditions, you can also claim victory by moving your Prophet to each throne (orange-ish icon on the map) and claiming it for your god. If you don't know about prophets, one of the first things you should do is train a priest in your capital, select it and press Spacebar to bring up all the possible actions, and turn him into a prophet.

I'm new myself, and there is a huge amount to learn/read, but head over to the Dom4 thread. In very general terms you should be focusing on:

- Getting territory from Independents ASAP to make money
- Training up Mages in different paths and (S)earching each territory for hidden magic sites, to generate gems/income
- Claim some thrones if they are within reach, or perhaps expand your dominion by building extra Temples and Fortresses as you expand
- Reading up on what a Bless strategy is, basically any nation that has strong and numerous Sacred units will benefit if your god invests heavily into the Magic paths, each element has a buff for sacred troops that triggers when they get blessed (by a priest) in battle. So you can have your whole army get buffed with Quickness and Flaming weapons if you do it right, although it is not appropriate for all nations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Cirrial posted:

I have only played (briefly) Dom 3 so I cannot offer any good tips, but it's a very complex game, and playing the AI won't help a bit because it cannot use magic properly. Your best bet is the game thread

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Wolfsheim posted:

The only advice I've ever heard for 4HoL is "play Bravely Default instead".

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any advice for Dynasty Warriors 8 other than 'go kill things' that the thread can offer?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Magres posted:

Any advice for Dynasty Warriors 8 other than 'go kill things' that the thread can offer?

Save the Lu Bu story for later on, it gives you very powerful weapons and character that can trivialize the rest of the game.

Find characters whose musou and EX attacks you like, because that's the only thing you can't change. You can always grab a secondary weapon (halberd) if you really need the big damage, but you can't get anyone cooler than Huang Gai at using it.

The Halberd is really good. You can have two of different attributes and instantly beat every level by weaponswapping whenever you see an officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Just bought Killer Is Dead, any tips going in?