Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I guess the issue is that if you swap Faber/Caceres with either of the first two PPV fights (Brimage/whoever and Hall/Santos) then there's absolutely no one worth watching on the prelim card. Though they probably could've bumped Struve/Mitrione down there instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
lmao

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

"Ok, finally done with the updates on my tattoos. The Jon "Bones" Jones fight and the Jimi Manuwa are filled in.
In my eyes, I won the fight again Jon Jones, but not in the judges eyes, so I filled it just half colored.
The next tattoo I will do will be filled in fully when I get the belt, this time I will not leave it in the hand of the judges."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

colonel_korn posted:

Struve/Mitrione

lol what

When did this get booked? That's a fun fight, meatman is probably going to get triangled.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Once Chad Mendes was a little boy with dreams of being a big boy. But now he's a big boy and Jose Aldo is a not so big boy anymore: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/6/20/5826134/chad-mendes-sees-no-evolution-in-jose-aldo-can-beat-nova-uniao-mma-news

quote:

"Honestly, watching his last fights, I couldn't see any sign of evolution. He basically bets on what he is good and he's doing always the same things. I think that this fight will be excited to the fans because of that, since I have completely changed. There are so much things that I've learned in the stand up game. Even my Wrestling is better. There was a moment in our first fight that I took him down and I felt a size difference because I was a lot smaller than him at that time but now this difference won't be that big. I know that I have an athletic capacity to face him equally, possibly higher than his capacity. I feel that my striking, my Jiu-Jitsu and my Wrestling are better now. I feel that I'm now a well rounded martial artist."

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I would say it's pretty objectively true that Mendes has improved since he fought Aldo, but I also have to acknowledge that it's really easy to look like you've finally put it all together against the quality of competition that made up the majority of Chad$'s post-Aldo run. He also looked kind of lovely against Lentz, though he says he was sick.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If anything is going to push Aldo to evolve at this point it'd probably be seeing Barao run the gently caress over by a Beta Alpha

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jones is nothing like Ronda. About the only thing Jones and Ronda have in common is the belt around their waists.

They are both giant babies.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

tesilential posted:

I would contend that Jones is much worse as Ronda has yet to publicly duck a fighter or get a DUI with a bunch of strippers while claiming to be a good and pure christian.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

tesilential posted:

Ronda's a baby largely because she isn't that bright and was raised by a scary crazy woman and her dad killed himself, she's basically a low-tier Batman villain in terms of backstory and modus operandi. Jon Jones is just a garden-variety sniveling prick.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Bluedeanie posted:

Ronda's a baby largely because she isn't that bright and was raised by a scary crazy woman and her dad killed himself, she's basically a low-tier Batman villain in terms of backstory and modus operandi. Jon Jones is just a garden-variety sniveling prick.

I wondered how someone who believes Sandy Hook was a gov't conspiracy could seemingly be a normal functioning person, so this explains it

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
I forgot about the Sandy Hook thing. That makes her legitimately a worse person than John Jones, regardless of how stupid her upbringing was. I don't know what her stance on gun control is, but something tells me her opinions are probably also extremely stupid in that arena.

Then again, analyzing the political opinions of professional fighters probably isn't the best rabbit hole to go down.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Panama Red posted:

I wondered how someone who believes Sandy Hook was a gov't conspiracy could seemingly be a normal functioning person, so this explains it

She was just asking questions.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Agent Tough Juice posted:

I forgot about the Sandy Hook thing. That makes her legitimately a worse person than John Jones, regardless of how stupid her upbringing was. I don't know what her stance on gun control is, but something tells me her opinions are probably also extremely stupid in that arena.

Then again, analyzing the political opinions of professional fighters probably isn't the best rabbit hole to go down.

On the other hand, Jon Jones hates gay people.

I'm not saying that makes him a bad person, I'm just asking questions

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ronda is an angry dork and has weird reactions to things but it's hard to blame her because it doesn't come off as calculated. Half the time you can see Jon Jones furrowing his brow trying to figure out what node to follow that will clearly demonstrate that you care more about instagram trolling than the guy who stalked a Gus fan on twitter to a different social media service just to post comments on their pictures calling them fags.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Bluedeanie posted:

On the other hand, Jon Jones hates gay people.

I'm not saying that makes him a bad person, I'm just asking questions

True. But so does Chael Sonnen and I root for him anyway for some reason.

Someone please create a Google Doc with all MMA fighters and their takes on all matters of public policy and current events so I know who to vote for next time one of them runs for state senate.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ronda is an angry dork and has weird reactions to things but it's hard to blame her because it doesn't come off as calculated. Half the time you can see Jon Jones furrowing his brow trying to figure out what node to follow that will clearly demonstrate that you care more about instagram trolling than the guy who stalked a Gus fan on twitter to a different social media service just to post comments on their pictures calling them fags.

I was listening to the most recent MMA Hour and I was cringing like a madman listening to Ariel Helwani walking Jon Jones through the "explanations" for his recent behavior, with Jones readily agreeing with every excuse Ariel was eager to provide him. To the point that Jones went from agreeing that Cormier was "just a pawn" in contract negotiations to making the case for DC fighting him instead of Gus.

Rory gets a lot of poo poo for coming across as bland and awkward, but Jones is sort of like this, in that he acts like a spoiled and petulant child and then latches onto whatever narrative is presented him as a rationalization. Coming out and saying he's a heel instead of genuinely behaving like one is case in point

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Bluedeanie posted:

So I didn't see this mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but after losing to Bubba McDaniel/renal failure and Josh Samman, noted jiu jitsu rear end in a top hat Kevin Casey has gone 3-0 outside the UFC (including two knockout wins ???) and will return to the promotion, opening the UFC 175 Fight Pass prelims against some other man inexplicably named Bubba.

I completely forget Casey's terrible UFC run (particularly how he or anyone else could lose a fight to Bubba McDaniel), but do pretty clearly remember him hitting cool footsweeps and stuff on Keenan Cornelius with like 2 minutes notice at Metamoris, so I approve I guess.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Agent Tough Juice posted:

True. But so does Chael Sonnen and I root for him anyway for some reason.

?

quote:

“Why is everyone picking on the gays?” [Sonnen] says in a hushed tone. “If they want to go get married, let them get married. Or call it something else. There’s this big definition of marriage. These right-wing people are like, ‘Marriage is a reserved trust. Let them have a union, but it’s the same laws, just different words.’ Is that really what you’re thinking about? Do you know what’s going on in Haiti? Do you know the real problems in the world? And you’re complaining because these two people fell in love? What are you talking about? How is that your thing? That’s your issue? These people getting married?”

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

edit: n/m it's in the grappling thread.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's not even just a front, some goon emailed him that picture of Nog and Anderson getting kind of gay with no shirts on asking for a comment and while I don't remember exactly what he said it was pretty even keeled and not at all anti-gay.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's not even just a front, some goon emailed him that picture of Nog and Anderson getting kind of gay with no shirts on asking for a comment and while I don't remember exactly what he said it was pretty even keeled and not at all anti-gay.

It was basically that it's a different culture.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
As long as someone doesn't spew vitriol against gays in an e-mail, I'm sure they're a good guy

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
In comparison to Jon Jones' adventures in online tolerance yeah

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Snowman, is my man, when it comes to MMA and politics, even though he's a dummy.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
Chael's made multiple jiujitsu=gay jokes over the years, but that was most likely just shtick.

a retard fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 20, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Keep him away from energy drinks

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
UFC is in WCW territory now, death imminent. david carmichael was right.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Panama Red posted:

Rory gets a lot of poo poo for coming across as bland and awkward, but Jones is sort of like this, in that he acts like a spoiled and petulant child and then latches onto whatever narrative is presented him as a rationalization. Coming out and saying he's a heel instead of genuinely behaving like one is case in point

Rory may be awkward and all that in public but the dude is though ,doesn't duck opponents and doesn't come as spoiled,demanding or anything else.He is kind of bland and has lovely trash talking but that can be forgiven.The alpha male status poo poo in his twitter is weak tho.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

MassRafTer posted:

UFC is in WCW territory now, death imminent. david carmichael was right.

Someone let me know when the official ufc magazine (that still exists, right?) has an artificially-inflated vitor belfort raft for sale

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Eat This Glob posted:

Someone let me know when the official ufc magazine (that still exists, right?) has an artificially-inflated vitor belfort raft for sale

- Points off for missing obvious foot-pump accessory mention

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a retard posted:

Chael's made multiple jiujitsu=gay jokes over the years, but that was most likely just shtick.

As someone who does bjj, even bjj people make bjj=gay jokes.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

fuuuuuck

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

fatherdog posted:

Keep him away from energy drinks

Now and days I think losing the title to a TUF winner would be more of the cause than the energy drinks + fasting.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Please do this, using the website portraits of all the TUF Brasil fighters named Thiago Pitbull whose own mothers can't tell them apart.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

ya I forgot to say that I agree that that should be a thing that is done.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Good. good

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

masato tatanka posted:

ya I forgot to say that I agree that that should be a thing that is done.

http://wrestlingsbest.com/collectibles/index.html

edit: using this web site to do something other than look at the mark coleman card made me find out dan severn has two brothers who also wrestled http://wrestlingsbest.com/collectibles/wrestuffcards010.html

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Decades posted:

I completely forget Casey's terrible UFC run (particularly how he or anyone else could lose a fight to Bubba McDaniel)

It was actually kind of a classic demonstration of why Bubba is a piece of poo poo. Casey had a lot of trouble with weight cuts throughout the season, and apparently it's been an issue for him his whole career. Anyway, going into the fight with Bubba he wasn't doing great but he still grappled the piss out of him in R1. Then in R2 his body stopped working, so he lost that one, making it a two-round draw. Casey had to forfeit on account of he was in full-blown kidney failure and could not answer the bell for the sudden victory round, and in fact he had to be carried out on a stretcher.

The important thing you should take away from this is Bubba McDaniel is such a bad fighter that he lost a round to a dying man, and is such a shameless turd that he earnestly celebrated winning the fight that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Further damnation: Kevin Casey is one of only two MMA fighters who have followed my twitter account for no real reason. The other was Soa Paleleieslieleleslie.

That site has a picture of Gustafson's youthful troubles: http://wrestlingsbest.com/collectibles/pc1910swedishschoolboys.jpg

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 21, 2014

• Locked thread