Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

EkardNT posted:

Missing the point: 123456.

I'm literally :allears: for an explanation for this one. I'm guessing at least 80% is :goonsay: that would mean literally nothing to a never-saw-Star-Wars-before person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Prequels are sequels.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Prequels are sequels.

Except for that bit where their story takes place before the movies they are sequels for. That might be confusing to some people.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Except for that bit where their story takes place before the movies they are sequels for. That might be confusing to some people.

Not too confusing. Stories told out of chronological order aren't that rare.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Not too confusing. Stories told out of chronological order aren't that rare.

And they have become all that more common after the prequels. Can we talk about how annoying that fad is? Why does everything need prequels now?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Grendels Dad posted:

And they have become all that more common after the prequels. Can we talk about how annoying that fad is? Why does everything need prequels now?

The concept of recontexualising events of an existing piece of cinema can be just as if not more interesting than 'the further adventures of...'.

We're still getting far, far more sequels and reboots than prequels so I'm not sure there's a problem.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

sassassin posted:

The concept of recontexualising events of an existing piece of cinema can be just as if not more interesting than 'the further adventures of...'.

Yeah, or they can be Underworld: Rise of the Lycans.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Or they can be Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (i.e. dope as gently caress)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Metal Gear Solid 3 did the prequel sequel the best.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Whoops. Old man Ford broke his leg, not his ankle!

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Well limb injuries are everpresent in the Star Wars movies, it's high time one happened behind the scenes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

We have to re-close the thread before it spreads further!!!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

JoBlo is reporting some possible Episode 7 details from a Disney media event. There are still white-armored stormtroopers around. The setting apparently feels post-apocalyptic because of the persistent war after Episode 6.

Just like the prequels have this increasingly uneasy feel caused by the post-9/11 climate, Episode 7 shifts focus to the current war on terror especially in places like Iraq where things are still not peaceful a decade after Saddam is gone.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

The MSJ posted:

JoBlo is reporting some possible Episode 7 details from a Disney media event. There are still white-armored stormtroopers around. The setting apparently feels post-apocalyptic because of the persistent war after Episode 6.

Just like the prequels have this increasingly uneasy feel caused by the post-9/11 climate, Episode 7 shifts focus to the current war on terror especially in places like Iraq where things are still not peaceful a decade after Saddam is gone.

This post is an ancient incantation to summon SuperMechaGodzilla

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Yeah that uneasy post 9/11 feel in movies (2 of which) were made before 9/11

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

I didn't say all of them were affected by 9/11. Episode 1 still felt like a kid's adventure movie. Episode 2 started to feel more serious in the political aspects, but I'd say the influence is more the American election crisis that ended with George W as president. It was Episode 3 where things get dark.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I didn't say all of them were affected by 9/11. Episode 1 still felt like a kid's adventure movie. Episode 2 started to feel more serious in the political aspects, but I'd say the influence is more the American election crisis that ended with George W as president. It was Episode 3 where things get dark.

I mean, I kind of assume Episode 3 would've gotten dark regardless of 9/11. Since Darth Vader and his origin story is from like the 80s

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

zVxTeflon posted:

Death of the Author means never having to back up your baseless assertions

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's more accurate to say that the prequels predicted 9/11, though it's unclear how much of Episode 2 was a result of post-9/11 reshoots. I wouldn't be surprised if such things as the assassination attempt on Amidala were included later. They certainly didn't go back and remove the bombing of a plane, high above a major metropolis.

('Predicting 9/11' isn't that unusual. It's what led to the general observation that the attacks 'looked like a movie'. Phantom Menace was already predicting some kind of looming catastrophe in 1999 - undoubtedly, like Starship troopers, influenced by poo poo like Desert Storm.)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
George Lucas did 9/11, you heard it here first folks

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

He 9/11-ed the hearts of nerds everywhere, and in this thread we love watching the tribute.avi

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

George Lucas did 9/11, you heard it here first folks

If nerds could go back in time and either stop him from doing 9/11 or making Phantom Menace, which would they choose?

Malifaux
May 9, 2014
So anyone else think the midnight release tickets will sell out in like seconds after being released.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Malifaux posted:

So anyone else think the midnight release tickets will sell out in like seconds after being released.

Of course, you're dealing with the type of person who says "I hated this movie, so I only watched it 3 times".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's more accurate to say that the prequels predicted 9/11, though it's unclear how much of Episode 2 was a result of post-9/11 reshoots. I wouldn't be surprised if such things as the assassination attempt on Amidala were included later. They certainly didn't go back and remove the bombing of a plane, high above a major metropolis.

('Predicting 9/11' isn't that unusual. It's what led to the general observation that the attacks 'looked like a movie'. Phantom Menace was already predicting some kind of looming catastrophe in 1999 - undoubtedly, like Starship troopers, influenced by poo poo like Desert Storm.)

It's kind of alarming how often you bring up Starship Troopers.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Cinema discusso > Star Wars: It's more accurate to say that the prequels predicted 9/11,

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rian Johnson, of "Looper" fame, is directing Episodes 8 and 9.

Never saw Looper myself, but the reaction to this seems to be generally positive. Also, Disney's really on a roll hiring these talented, but probably-easier-to-control-than-JJ types.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 20, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fuuuuuuck yes. Rian Johnson has mad talent. Looper was fantastic and he directed some of the best episodes of Breaking Bad too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm cautiously optimistic for JJ's film. I'm openly ecstatic for Johnson's. Brick, Brother's Bloom, and Looper are some of my favorite films of the past decade.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Fuuuuuuck yes. Rian Johnson has mad talent. Looper was fantastic and he directed some of the best episodes of Breaking Bad too.

Wait, which episodes of Breaking Bad?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I am sooooo much more excited for Star Wars now. They're actually letting him write AND direct, which is a huge deal.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, which episodes of Breaking Bad?
Fly, Fifty One and Ozymandias. Fly was the first episode of BB I ever saw and I immediately knew I had to watch the rest of the series after witnessing that. It and Ozymandias are both regarded as some of the greatest episodes of the series. Fifty One might be too. I mean it had that hilariously awesome car montage after all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGhkgzvucHU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Reports are saying that he's only writing and directing VIII and writing a treatment for IX, not directing. Still really cool, hope they get someone as interesting for IX.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Fly, Fifty One and Ozymandias. Fly was the first episode of BB I ever saw and I immediately knew I had to watch the rest of the series after witnessing that. It and Ozymandias are both regarded as some of the greatest episodes of the series. Fifty One might be too. I mean it had that hilariously awesome car montage after all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGhkgzvucHU

Oh drat, yeah, those are some high points for Breaking Bad. Which is saying something.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

Reports are saying that he's only writing and directing VIII and writing a treatment for IX, not directing. Still really cool, hope they get someone as interesting for IX.

quote:

Johnson will take over the core film franchise, and he’ll get started quickly and this will be his preoccupation for quite awhile. Technically, he’ll write that second treatment but the intention on both sides is that he direct the two installments.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Colonel Whitey posted:

I wonder if David Lynch would say yes if they asked him again.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mr. stefan posted:

I wonder if David Lynch would say yes if they asked him again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PALjbTo1D5U

If that's what you're referencing, IN.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Wow that's really a great choice. I just hope we don't see the same problems we're seeing with the Marvel movies.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
So now I have to go watch Looper. This seems like a solid choice and those Breaking Bads were freaking awesome. "Fly" was so well directed. I'll take it.

This is like when I heard Peter Jackson? was going to do the Lord of the Rings and I went and watched The Frighteners because I was like who is this guy.

Decision making so far on the new flims is good. I'm pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This dude grew up in the wops with his grandparents and only VHS tapes of 1940s movies for culture. I suppose you're wondering what it would be like if he saw star wars for the first time at 19 and liveblogged it?

• Locked thread