Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

But why? Random old man gives out a literal get out of jail free rope. For a bunch of pilgrims which he must have seen passing by every day, undergoing the same thing?

Could be that that was literally 'the test'. Pilgrims like us (prospective kings or the like) get stopped and bothered, to test our character. Do we bear it with patience, do we bitch and moan and throw our weight around? Or do we turn to El? The update said that the guard sounded legit pleased to welcome us to Baitel after the priest gave us the okay, maybe that was because we passed some sort of character test. We showed that we work with the priesthood in times of trouble, and what could Baitel like more?

Edit: Also, poo poo, a 10+ foot guy at the gates? drat. We thought we were such hot poo poo, suddenly there're giants all over the place, reclusive kings, giant gate-keepers, etc. I wonder if we're going to keep shooting up, 10+, 11+, so on, or if we're stopping here. Are we going to be among the top echelons, or are we going to remain checked by the power of the Baitel types?

Ishamal's treatment of us seems to suggest the former, but who knows? Maybe everyone in Baitel gets that sort of talking to, don't destroy etc. Doesn't seem likely, at the least we've got some sort of special lineage to explain why the Melachim are so shy about us, and not about the folks in Baitel. Plus, Ishamal himself seems some sort of elite, and he's not that tall at all, so clearly height isn't everything (or he's hiding it some how).

Just wondering what Diog (tentatively?) has in store. Are we going to blow these guys away eventually, or is this a glimpse of the top-tier that we're going to have to tread carefully around into eternity?

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

E
P
X

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Theglavwen posted:

Just wondering what Diog (tentatively?) has in store. Are we going to blow these guys away eventually, or is this a glimpse of the top-tier that we're going to have to tread carefully around into eternity?

We live near the ocean. There's only so much soup to strain in Baitel. We can practice straining salt water long after they reach the limits of their cauldrons.

We will strain supreme.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
1. H
2. Q
3. X

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

It has been awhile. Diog has our height changed since leaving Zepath? Also suggesting we stick around to study at the House of El some. And try to meet the ancient hero-king.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Theglavwen posted:

Edit: Also, poo poo, a 10+ foot guy at the gates? drat. We thought we were such hot poo poo, suddenly there're giants all over the place, reclusive kings, giant gate-keepers, etc. I wonder if we're going to keep shooting up, 10+, 11+, so on, or if we're stopping here. Are we going to be among the top echelons, or are we going to remain checked by the power of the Baitel types?

I'm feeling even more sorry for the women now. Highly blooded men can be more than 8 feet tall, and are presumably proportional. Meanwhile women of Blooded families are normal sized. Normal sized 16-20 year old girls marrying literal giants. At best the wedding night is going to be incredibly awkward.

It's a drat good thing blooded boys start normal size. If they were born proportional to their eventual size no woman would ever survive giving birth to one.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Voting later tonight if I can make it. But I wish people would vote for us going with Avram!

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Angela Christine posted:

blooded boys... ...survive giving birth to one.

Why else would it be called "blooded"? It's what they look like when they come into the world

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Mike Gallego posted:

1. E

2. P

3. X

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
1. H

2. Q

3. X

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Mike Gallego posted:

1. E

2. P

3. X

Voting This

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
K - Paebel
L - URIAH!
P & Q - Send the Merchant, Paebel, and the Smith. No reason not to have all the people in the know overseeing this. Is there some reason it has to be either P or Q?
X - We owe this kindly priest.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 27, 2014

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Anyone think that priest business was fishy?

I kinda was assuming there was some sort of amulet of 'sorting out funny business' embedded in his staff. Whenever seemingly infirm and kindly old men suddenly need a staff, there's always something magical embedded in it. :colbert:

Ask Avram if it would be possible to sell one of Indor's strong potions and one of her weak potions on the DL. If so, what kind of price could be expected. I know they're at the inn for now (Bah!), but it'd be good info to have for future reference.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
That priest's inspection was hilarious, and not suspicious at all in my opinion. Every Priest of El we've ever met (aside from the sour one that visited Zepath post-zviv) has been a huge bro. I agree that it might have been some kind of test, to see if we wheedle or appeal to our own authority or are humble enough to seek the help of the clergy.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Completely unrelated but has the topic of dancing been discussed in Zepathian and Ur culture yet? How good of a dancer is Enkidel if he can at all? Are there religious dances? Is dancing seen as an act for women?

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Arkanomen posted:

Completely unrelated but has the topic of dancing been discussed in Zepathian and Ur culture yet? How good of a dancer is Enkidel if he can at all? Are there religious dances? Is dancing seen as an act for women?

We could get a dance-off going. Our Balls versus their best crew. We could provide the music, bust out our flu- aw poo poo nevermind. :(

RIP flute. Well, Rest in pieces. Because we ate it. Then never pooped it out. Probably still in there actually unless it turned into pure [???].

That priest totally didn't give a poo poo and it was great.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

There is probably some new standard for El pilgrimage banners that require a cord on the banner. The old priest figured Zepa didn't get the memo and fixed it for us. Dang beureucrats.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I still would love to know what kind of music there is in Ur, what instruments are the musicians of Ur playing?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

FoxTerrier posted:

I kinda was assuming there was some sort of amulet of 'sorting out funny business' embedded in his staff. Whenever seemingly infirm and kindly old men suddenly need a staff, there's always something magical embedded in it. :colbert:

Ask Avram if it would be possible to sell one of Indor's strong potions and one of her weak potions on the DL. If so, what kind of price could be expected. I know they're at the inn for now (Bah!), but it'd be good info to have for future reference.

Can we not bring up illegal goods while we're in Baitel proper?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ you guys overthink things sometimes.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

K We have a guy whose primary skillset is being a loud, bombastic gloryhound - I can think of nobody better to clear the path before us! Besides, we totally cockblocked him back at the Battle of Tadmor, he needs his shoutin' fix.

P+Q , why not?

X gon' give it to 'em.

And now that we're here at last, here's some stuff you might've forgotten:

King Manasseh of Dor completely snubbed us. gently caress him.

The King of Heres taxed and cheated us. gently caress him.

King Adullam of Libnah is a hell of a guy, Baitel should know of his piety and generosity.

Jalitha told us not to ask the Kadmonim about their gods unless we intend to start a riot. I get the feeling we're totally going to do that anyway, but we should at least do it carefully.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Speaking of reminders.

Ishamal posted:

The House of El will probably have questions for you when you arrive. Do not volunteer anything about Athar or Asherah, but do not lie to them, answer any of their questions honestly.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Greggster posted:

I still would love to know what kind of music there is in Ur, what instruments are the musicians of Ur playing?

I'd assume stuff like this.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=viMbnj_Ei2A

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

UppaTree posted:

K We have a guy whose primary skillset is being a loud, bombastic gloryhound - I can think of nobody better to clear the path before us! Besides, we totally cockblocked him back at the Battle of Tadmor, he needs his shoutin' fix.

K is Paebel, I think you meant L for Uriah.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

FoxTerrier posted:

Avram tells you "It could be arranged if you wish, the sale would have to occur beyond the city of course. And a fee for myself to aid with such a thing? A modest fee of course. If those medicines do as you say, and with her I have no doubt, you might fetch a fine price indeed. The Temple would not approve, but they would not interfere with a sale just beyond their borders. Even if they did not like it. Perhaps a hundred pounds of silver in your pockets? About that. 80 for the lesser one. I would take a risk to do such a sale, surely you understand. And much of my profit would go to the Temple. If you mean to sell them, we could likely get a better price in a number of cities on the way back, less Blooded cities. "

Arkanomen posted:

Dancing is perfectly manly. Men dance together on many occasions, secular feasts and religious ones as well. Women dance too. Men and women don't often dance together, though sometimes they do, in group, on religious occasions. A single man and single woman dancing together is a "thing" in your society.

On one of the holidays intoxication is mandatory for men and dancing is traditional.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 27, 2014

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Diogines posted:

On one of the holiday intoxication is mandatory for men and dancing encouraged.

They have St. Patrick's Day too? Neat!

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Angela Christine posted:

If they were born proportional to their eventual size no woman would ever survive giving birth to one.

Basscop posted:

Why else would it be called "blooded"? It's what they look like when they come into the world

Aha! Jalitha's been a ghost this whole time! Ooooooo

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

LPQX + egg delivery

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Diogines posted:

On one of the holidays intoxication is mandatory for men

We still need an Effort Post on the local booze of Zepath. I bet Zepath makes a type of Whiskey and Athar is well known for Rum! :colbert:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Given Shushem's reaction to wine, I don't think Athar is into alcohol :(

Though maybe he just really hates wine.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting for 2 and 3 is closed.

Athar has no alcohol.

Ur has wine and beer. No whiskey or rum.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
1. L, I don't think this is the best choice? But gently caress. It's a fun choice. Besides, Uriah is our bro. Paebel isn't mighty and won't make a mark, and picking Danal will just have him gushing over us. Uriah will probably represent both us and Danal in a good way.

2. R

UppaTree posted:

X gon' give it to 'em.

I have to agree with this. See my avatar.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Diogines posted:

Athar has no alcohol.

My god! It truly was hell on earth.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

No whiskey or rum?!

Here we were, wasting pages debating about how to game the system to get modern irrigation, alloys, and other inventions into Urian society when it doesn't make sense; for El's sake we need to invest in someone to invent a distillery!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Voting L for Uriah :black101:
Edit:
P&Q
X

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 26, 2014

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
All this time and effort put towards purifying water when we could have been distilling alcohol with our mind!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Task Manager posted:

No whiskey or rum?!

Here we were, wasting pages debating about how to game the system to get modern irrigation, alloys, and other inventions into Urian society when it doesn't make sense; for El's sake we need to invest in someone to invent a distillery!
Ur needs gin.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I lied. Voting remains open. In light of recent forum woes I am going to keep voting open till tomorrow.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
1. L
2. Q
3. X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

There Bias Two posted:

My god! It truly was hell on earth.

I need to really think about my desire to go back to Athar and become the Head Demon Everything now. What use is being ruler of everything if there is no booze? :smithicide: