Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Acid Reflux posted:

I'm a little surprised, but only at the fact that you got an aircraft mechanic to touch a car. Most of us, given the choice, would rather tear down and rebuild an entire airliner with nothing more than a Leatherman than ever touch a car newer than about 1982. :)

My friends think it's weird that I take my car to a mechanic for maintenance, instead of doing it myself...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

You Am I posted:

Same with my Ford Laser, you have to remove the whole tail light assembly. However the nuts are deep within the body structure at the rear of the car, so you need a massive socket extension and pray to god that the nut doesn't fall out of the socket and fall deep somewhere in the car.

Dab of grease inside the socket will substantially improve your chances.

Or a magnet.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Those extendable magnets are invaluable for both installing and removing nuts in places you can't reach with your fingers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The trunk lid in my Cavalier had holes cut into it so you could reach in, turn the light socket, and pull it out. Unfortunately, the hole on the passenger side was offset in the wrong direction and turning the socket wedged the pigtail behind the sheet metal. You had to pull apart the entire assembly to do that side. It's pretty obvious that the engineer just mirrored the hole location in the CAD program without thinking about how that would turn out.

I also have to remove the entire light assemble on my GTI, but it's two readily accessible bolts in the hatch and takes all of three minutes.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I posted this the other day in the mech failures thread, thought it deserved a spot here too.

I futzed with the values a bit, but if you turn up your monitor you can see the extent of the damage better. FWIW, this car is driven often enough that I do not see it in the same spot parked. This is also in VA, where we do have annual inspections.

I can see the fact that it's sagging hard in the middle under its own weight pretty easily. :stare:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I wouldn't be caught dead in it :v:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Signal clusters that require removal from the car to allow bulb replacement allow automakers to put fewer holes in the bodywork which is cheaper and means less places for water intrusion.

If you want a fastener to stay put in your socket put a small scrap of paper on top of the fastener head, then put the socket on the paper. The extra little bit of material will help the fastener stay put. Paper is pretty much always available. You could probably use a piece of grass or a leaf in a field repair scenario.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

PBCrunch posted:

Paper is pretty much always available. You could probably use a piece of grass or a leaf in a field repair scenario.

This is why my owner's manual is missing some of the more useless pages :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Well.........

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

I finally have a way to give someone the final gently caress you before putting them in the ground.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
A pretty interesting series called For The Love of Cars aired recently in the UK and featured an episode on Deloreans. They visited with a crazy motherfucker to whom John Delorean once said "follow your dreams" at a convention. He took this to mean "every dumb idea you have is correct" and he definitely had a stretch limo (might very well be the same guy, how many can there be?), as well as this magnificent? beast:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Scrambles posted:

A pretty interesting series called For The Love of Cars aired recently in the UK and featured an episode on Deloreans. They visited with a crazy motherfucker to whom John Delorean once said "follow your dreams" at a convention. He took this to mean "every dumb idea you have is correct" and he definitely had a stretch limo (might very well be the same guy, how many can there be?), as well as this magnificent? beast:

Holy poo poo, that's awesome.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Acid Reflux posted:

I'm a little surprised, but only at the fact that you got an aircraft mechanic to touch a car. Most of us, given the choice, would rather tear down and rebuild an entire airliner with nothing more than a Leatherman than ever touch a car newer than about 1982. :)

My wife's '06 Mustang is the same way. Pisses me off to no end, because I think that car somehow actually uses brake light bulbs as fuel.

He's something of an enthusiast, and also he had a impact wrench. And funnily enough, he did tell a few Leatherman stories as well.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The penalties for abuse of a corpse are quite severe.

Re: the DeLorean: c'mon, someone say it!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The line, "Where we're going, we don't need...roads" still applies.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I would be cool with the Brat if it was bagged, the switches make it look like it's supposed to be or something. I don't like big chrome wheels though. He also says it has a 1995 2.2L with 170hp. Is that feasible? The 2006+ 2.5L makes 170hp!

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I...kinda....like this?

*ducks*

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Chinatown posted:

I...kinda....like this?

*ducks*

I do as we'll but that bottle opener is pretty silly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I like it.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
lol, I figured some of you would like it. It looks like a lada slammed into the back of a new camaro to me.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I posted this the other day in the mech failures thread, thought it deserved a spot here too.

I futzed with the values a bit, but if you turn up your monitor you can see the extent of the damage better. FWIW, this car is driven often enough that I do not see it in the same spot parked. This is also in VA, where we do have annual inspections.

I regret not having my camera with me upon seeing the world's rustiest Sprinter van.

Of course, it bore an Ohio tag. :allears:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I got caught at the red light leaving the parking lot or I wouldn't have gotten any shot at all of it.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

I spotted this same car in Fairfax today. Even the wheels had Benz logos.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

mad.radhu posted:

Fairfax, huh? That does it, I'm putting my baseball bat in the trunk just in case I ever see this thing in the east bay. Its brake lights will not escape!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

Fairfax, huh? That does it, I'm putting my baseball bat in the trunk just in case I ever see this thing in the east bay. Its brake lights will not escape!

You don't even joke about messing with someone's car, dude.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah everyone knows you're supposed to tip smart cars, idiot.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

PCOS Bill posted:

He's a pasty fedora wearing anime nerd, he won't actually do anything

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

For a second I thought this was another 510 concept.
For reference: http://jalopnik.com/the-nissan-idx-nismo-concept-is-the-rebirth-of-the-god-1468159303

(Reply from 3 days ago...left the tab open long enough? :q:)

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

PCOS Bill posted:

It's just a car. Replaceable. Not a big deal.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yes, let's have this discussion again.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

If only the new camaros had windows tall enough to see out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

I got caught at the red light leaving the parking lot or I wouldn't have gotten any shot at all of it.

I hope you set it on fire afterward. That poor S2000. :(

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

mad.radhu posted:

I worked on one that was a Brabus edition once with Brabus badges/logos all over it. (Even had Brabus carpets!) Maybe thats from the factory like that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Das Volk posted:

He's a pasty fedora wearing anime nerd, he won't actually do anything

Yeah I'll just scowl at it and write a really sarcastic tweet.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Posted on the fb page, but I hate random paint design.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

God, that's gloriously hideous. Poorly trimmed roof to keep rain out of the new back window? Check. Raw sheet metal to fill the gap? Mm-hm. I know what'd finish this trainwreck up - the bed from that Nissan that caught on fire in the meth lab.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Are these vans front-wheel drive? How does this whole thing work you think? Van & truck & extended driveshaft?

Obviously more than that, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What do you mean? The rear axle is perfectly happy to just roll along forever with no driveshaft hooked up to it, I'm sure that thing is still FWD only.