Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

That's how I was taught to think about it :confused:

That passage has nothing to do with what people think The Rapture is (The sudden disappearance of believers before the Great Tribulation). It's a letter sent to a certain group that's basically saying that when all is said and done that all the dead will live with those still alive in God's Kingdom. There's nothing in the Bible about the believers disappearing before the Great Tribulation. Though it's become the popular belief due to Left Behind and things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

That passage has nothing to do with what people think The Rapture is (The sudden disappearance of believers before the Great Tribulation). It's a letter sent to a certain group that's basically saying that when all is said and done that all the dead will live with those still alive in God's Kingdom. There's nothing in the Bible about the believers disappearing before the Great Tribulation. Though it's become the popular belief due to Left Behind and things like that.

Yeah that's why you have all these arguments about pre- and post-Millenarianism and what not, but as someone who was raised evangelical before Left Behind ever came out I can tell you that that verse is straight up the reason that so many people believe that Christians are going to fly up into heaven at the Second Coming.

My extended family was post-Tribulation so I heard all these horror stores about how as a Christian I was going to be tortured and executed by the forces of the Beast before the Rapture (which was, like, any day now).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Regardless, actually being in the Bible rarely changes how angry people get about stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Regardless, actually being in the Bible rarely changes how angry people get about stuff.

This is the best point on the matter really.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I agree I just wanted to be pedantic about Bible stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We all know about the worst threads in TVIV, but I have found the saddest thread.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

We all know about the worst threads in TVIV, but I have found the saddest thread.

I think my favorite TVIV thread ever was one for some Cartoon Network show (I want to say Secret Mountain Fort Awesome) that only had 2 posts: An OP explaining the show and the cast, then months later a post announcing that the show had been cancelled.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

Threads for TV shows that get no posts because nobody cares about them are not nearly as sad as threads that nobody cares about but the OP keeps posting in them as though somebody else did.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

Threads for TV shows that get no posts because nobody cares about them are not nearly as sad as threads that nobody cares about but the OP keeps posting in them as though somebody else did.

Oh, I think I can top that.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MrAristocrates posted:

The new Korra thread hasn't been posted, so he can't quit yet.
Since it's gonna be moved to ADTRW immediately upon its creation, can the thread title please be Legend of Korra Book 3: The Official Start of the Summer 2014 Anime Season? I checked. It fits.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cardboard Box A posted:

So tonight's episode of NBC's "Taxi Brooklyn" looks and sounds and feels like one of those fake NBC parody shows from the Community Finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13HbQbTM1F0

I have no idea what this is, but it's amazing

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Since it's gonna be moved to ADTRW immediately upon its creation, can the thread title please be Legend of Korra Book 3: The Official Start of the Summer 2014 Anime Season? I checked. It fits.

Korra is for jerks, but it's not anime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Voiceover says "Good morning, Brooklyn" over shots of Manhattan.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Korra is for jerks, but it's not anime.

If it looks likes anime, sounds like anime and is as convoluted as anime, its probably anime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a head's up but tonight Syfy is somehow going to air Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It should be fun just to see how chopped up the whole thing is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

Just a head's up but tonight Syfy is somehow going to air Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It should be fun just to see how chopped up the whole thing is.

Hahaha, that is going to be something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK, well I had to look up Taxi Brooklyn and it's based on Luc Besson's excellent film Taxi, and the series was made and has been airing in France (getting great ratings) so... I think it probably actually will be in fact awesome.

Why a French series was made in English and with American actors, I dunno.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Hahaha, that is going to be something.

AFAIK they didn't film a syndication version because otherwise it would have popped up sooner.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

So it'll be like 34 minutes long and just the violent bits, none of the sexy bits.

For the first episode anyway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The best/worst/funniest part of that is that the first three episodes of Spartacus were pretty bad. I can't imagine what someone who's new to the show is going to think when they watch Syfy's version as their introduction.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

OK, well I had to look up Taxi Brooklyn and it's based on Luc Besson's excellent film Taxi, and the series was made and has been airing in France (getting great ratings) so... I think it probably actually will be in fact awesome.

My experience living in Quebec is that French speakers prefer to watch things in English.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think my favorite TVIV thread ever was one for some Cartoon Network show (I want to say Secret Mountain Fort Awesome) that only had 2 posts: An OP explaining the show and the cast, then months later a post announcing that the show had been cancelled.

I made an efforty post about the TV juggernaut "The Glades" and it got like two posts. Then it got canceled.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

RIP ADHD

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You guys were talking about Taxi Brooklyn earlier? The pilot (and I think the second episode) was directed by Olivier Megaton, which makes sense because he's certainly the hackiest guy in Luc Besson's stable. I could point to the lovely editing, the lovely oversaturation (Michael Goddamn Bay would tell this guy to cut the poo poo), the lovely acting (when all your actors suck and two of them mispronounce "blood spatter" as "blood splatter," that's on you, not them)...but there's one shot that says it all:

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 27, 2014

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

precision posted:

It's probably important to know wether it's based on the 2004 version or the 1998 version of that movie. The trailer looks terrible though, so I'm not too keen on actually finding out for myself.

Also I thought it was Blood Splatter until now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sober posted:

So it'll be like 34 minutes long and just the violent bits, none of the sexy bits.

For the first episode anyway.

Spartacus' violence is more than even basic cable can stomach.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eezee posted:

It's probably important to know wether it's based on the 2004 version or the 1998 version of that movie. The trailer looks terrible though, so I'm not too keen on actually finding out for myself.

Also I thought it was Blood Splatter until now.

Luc Besson didn't make the one with Queen Latifah so I'm going to say the 1998 version.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Syfy Channel, we're showing butts now.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Bareass just sort of became acceptable on basic cable at some point. Not even sure what did it exactly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm OK with that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Syfy's Spartacus was kind of a let down. They just kind of cut away from any frontal nudity. Although the scene where Spartacus and his wife have sex was kind of goofy since it kept fading to black.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Syfy's Spartacus was kind of a let down. They just kind of cut away from any frontal nudity. Although the scene where Spartacus and his wife have sex was kind of goofy since it kept fading to black.

Who cares about the nudity? How did they clean up the language? Or did they just bleep it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was the first episode so there really wasn't any of the fun stuff.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Deadpool posted:

Who cares about the nudity? How did they clean up the language? Or did they just bleep it?

Just caught the second half, but they seemed to keep all the "shits" and "assholes". Some of the gore also looked fairly intact.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Teek posted:

Just caught the second half, but they seemed to keep all the "shits" and "assholes". Some of the gore also looked fairly intact.

I feel bad for people who aren't getting to experience John Hannah's unadulterated dialogue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jupiter's !

There are actually entire scenes of exposition with nudity in them. I wonder how they're going to pull those off.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 27, 2014

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

VH1's method of playing Showgirls: Digitally painted underwear!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hope and vaseline posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hope and vaseline posted:

That's just the all-around TV edit, I believe they used to show it on TNT all the time. I'm surprised you guys haven't seen it before, it's up there with "Stranger in the alps" and "monkey-fightin' snakes on this Monday-to-Friday plane" as far as hilariously terrible TV edits go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Samuel L Jackson said he actually recorded the TV version of the Snakes on a Plane lines so it's even better.

• Locked thread