Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Shima Honnou posted:

I don't recall anyone successfully performing an Irish Whip -> Back Body Drop in the 6 months I've been watching WWE. I recall plenty of Irish Whip -> Face Kicks, though.

Nobody has successfully completed that combo since the late 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I would like to point out that you guys are also saying that you essentially don't like Hulk Hogan's move-set.

I mean, I'm not saying I don't blame you; but he had a big boot and a leg drop and did plenty of memphis punches, amongst other things. Just sayin'.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 23, 2014

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Anybody who hates on moves for 'not realistic because of X reason' are hating on 95% of top-rope moves and are therefore stupid assholes nobody should listen to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WeaselWeaz posted:

It wasn't the only thing that got Vince off but it helped.

Yeah I think Sunny was what put him over the edge.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Likewise, a guy on the apron going for a vertical suplex.
except for when they actually do one

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Jerusalem posted:

:vince:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Halloween Jack posted:

What are those, again?

I was thinking more of Lawler, who threw pretty much the greatest punches in wrestling ever.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

dialhforhero posted:

I would like to point out that you guys are also saying that you essentially don't like Hulk Hogan's move-set.

I mean, I'm not saying I don't blame you; but he had a big boot and a leg drop and did plenty of memphis punches, amongst other things. Just sayin'.

I'm probably one of the extremely few PSP posters who can actually say that I don't mind Hogan that much. His matches are general fun, he sells, and he doesn't seem to hit the instant win button until the very end in a majority of matches.

I actually like Hogan matches more than Cena matches in many cases. Sure, he's worse at wrestling or whatever, but he makes me believe he could lose to that Camel Clutch or whatever else he gets hit with instead of just standing back up immediately and odds and all that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hogan is poopy and knows as many moves as Kevin Nash but he was really good at what he did (at least when he gave a poo poo). He was a fun babyface and a great douchebag heel.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm probably one of the extremely few PSP posters who can actually say that I don't mind Hogan that much. His matches are general fun, he sells, and he doesn't seem to hit the instant win button until the very end in a majority of matches.

I actually like Hogan matches more than Cena matches in many cases. Sure, he's worse at wrestling or whatever, but he makes me believe he could lose to that Camel Clutch or whatever else he gets hit with instead of just standing back up immediately and odds and all that.

He doesn't use the instant win button until the very end, the part where he wins. Where do other people use the instant win button, somewhere near the middle, a part where they aren't winning instantly?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I hate anyone who complains about the Bullhammer. The elbow pad is flipped to red, it does more damage. The logic really doesn't get any simpler than that

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Jerusalem posted:

I imagine Vince's orgasm sounds a lot like his meeting with Droz in Beyond The Mat.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

MassRafTer posted:

He doesn't use the instant win button until the very end, the part where he wins. Where do other people use the instant win button, somewhere near the middle, a part where they aren't winning instantly?

Yes, also called an AA or STF that Cena gets hit out of by Harper or Rowan.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I can't loving stand the slingshot. It always looks so bad.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Halloween Jack posted:

The WMD is poo poo, but I don't understand why people make this complaint about the Brogue Kick. Maybe it's just because I did a little tournament karate and I understand the timing and distancing, etc. that goes into landing a jumping kick, but a running jumping kick is a move that your opponent is going to see coming and avoid/counter if they're not worn down and the timing isn't right.

It pretty much comes out in these discussions that people think every striking move can be hit from any position by any wrestler, exactly the same, with the exact same power and effectiveness, if they just use the same type of attack.

I mean, they never play it up or draw attention to it, and it might be a bit too close to "realistic", but it's a pretty valid part of match strategy if someone can't get the golden opportunity for a shot or are just plain outclassed in some respect.

Big Show's WMD is totally bullshit, though, since it's just kind of a half-assed quick little swing from literally any position in a "sport" where nobody has a guard. It could work if maybe he at least attempted to drop into a stance and wind up a hook or something. (disclaimer: I don't really watch WWE too much, so he might at least half-assedly try that sometimes, but every time I've seen it, it was "really big guy does a jab, everyone dies")

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hogan is poopy and knows as many moves as Kevin Nash but he was really good at what he did (at least when he gave a poo poo). He was a fun babyface and a great douchebag heel.

At least he had a better STF than John Cena

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The way a wrestler will do an exaggerated 180 turn with a cartoonish expressions of "where did he go?" and walk, leading with their face, arms down at their sides, when there's somebody behind them. It's one of those things that I feel like I see all the time, but had a tricky time finding an example of. Happens a lot ducked clotheslines, leapfrogs from the turnbuckle or when someone sneaks up behind them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P453zlyNXro&t=247s

Luigi Thirty posted:

The weird thing with Hogan is that when you see him wrestle in Japan he actually has depth to his moveset. It's really like watching an entirely different person.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 26, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What was Hogan's best match in Japan?

I've never watched any of work there since I dislike the man and get more than my fill of him on Tuesday nights in psp.tv .

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I re-watched his match with Tenryu recently and was surprised by how much I liked it. First thing he hits is Alberto Del Rio's spinning armbar thingy!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't blame Hogan one bit for wrestling a lazy style during his peak. I mean, the crowds ate it up, so why not?

As I get older and see wrestlers career's ending early and such, I start to believe that the "best" wrestler is the one who can get the crowd into his match without killing his body.

You can't really wrestle a style to appeal to people 20 years in the future. You just gotta go out there and get the crowd in the building hot, brother.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

triplexpac posted:

I don't blame Hogan one bit for wrestling a lazy style during his peak. I mean, the crowds ate it up, so why not?

As I get older and see wrestlers career's ending early and such, I start to believe that the "best" wrestler is the one who can get the crowd into his match without killing his body.

You can't really wrestle a style to appeal to people 20 years in the future. You just gotta go out there and get the crowd in the building hot, brother.

The only problem with that argument regarding Hogan is that even landing on your hip hundreds of times per year is gonna add up. Should've used the Axe Bomber, brother...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Eddie Whitson posted:

The only problem with that argument regarding Hogan is that even landing on your hip hundreds of times per year is gonna add up. Should've used the Axe Bomber, brother...

I know what you mean, but I don't think there's a way to wrestle into your 50s without being all banged up. I'm just saying, seeing guys like Edge having to retire because they are held together by bubblegum and duct tape sucks.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
How damaged is Liger's body?

I know he's slowed down and had that awful ankle injury way back but he seemed in better health than any other 50ish wrestler when I saw him in London.

Also Minoru Suzuki, but I imagine he might in better shape than others because he never seems to take big bumps with his style of wrestling.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Domalom posted:

How damaged is Liger's body?

I know he's slowed down and had that awful ankle injury way back but he seemed in better health than any other 50ish wrestler when I saw him in London.

Also Minoru Suzuki, but I imagine he might in better shape than others because he never seems to take big bumps with his style of wrestling.

He also had a brain tumor removed in the late 90's.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Suzuki had a ton of MMA fights and, I'm assuming, has been grappling for close to thirty years, so he's probably got his fair share of nagging injuries. But like you say, he deals in a more low-impact style of wrestling, and has always been smart with his spots, so hopefully he still has some good in-ring years left in the tank.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that
When was the last women's triple threat match in WWE?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He also had a brain tumor removed in the late 90's.
96 I think, I remember hearing Dusty and Schivaone talk about it and I think it was during his Starrcade match with Rey

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Are there any guys who were good/great promos who WWE didn't try to push?

They underutilized Dusty for sure. In the modern era though, I'm having trouble thinking of a guy who they missed the boat on if he was good on the stick.

The reason I'm thinking about this is the great work Ambrose has been doing since they've let him cut more promos.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Probably the most famous example would be how WCW generally had Brian Pillman do the talking for the Holywood Blonds since he was a better promo than Austin at the time. Then when they split up Austin got stuck with Col. Robert Parker doing the talking for him even when he feuded with Pillman. Then, as we all know he got fired and Paul E. gave him a mic and told him to start talking about Eric Bischoff. If you mean WWE specifically I'm not sure.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you mean WWE specifically I'm not sure.

Yeah I'm thinking specifically WWE. WCW squandered so much talent it's not really even worth considering. I feel like WWE generally pushes a guy if he can talk and/or is big, so I'm curious if there was anyone in the "good speaker" role that didn't get a decent push.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Are there any guys who were good/great promos who WWE didn't try to push?

They underutilized Dusty for sure. In the modern era though, I'm having trouble thinking of a guy who they missed the boat on if he was good on the stick.

The reason I'm thinking about this is the great work Ambrose has been doing since they've let him cut more promos.

Well Matt Morgan turned out to be a decent enough talker but they saddled him with a speech impediment gimmick. I guess that could be considered the beginning of a push, but then he was dumped.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

LvK posted:

Big Show's WMD is totally bullshit, though, since it's just kind of a half-assed quick little swing from literally any position in a "sport" where nobody has a guard. It could work if maybe he at least attempted to drop into a stance and wind up a hook or something. (disclaimer: I don't really watch WWE too much, so he might at least half-assedly try that sometimes, but every time I've seen it, it was "really big guy does a jab, everyone dies")

A bit nit-picky, but a jab is done with the leading hand, and is used to set up other punches. That's a straight right, which definitely does knock people out.

Edit: my grammar is bad.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 26, 2014

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I'm thinking specifically WWE. WCW squandered so much talent it's not really even worth considering. I feel like WWE generally pushes a guy if he can talk and/or is big, so I'm curious if there was anyone in the "good speaker" role that didn't get a decent push.

Brodus Clay? Never cared much about the guy but that Miz TV interview he did after his heel turn was actually really good and got lots of heat.

Thank God Miz TV appears to be dead. Bring on Ambrose Alley.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Well Matt Morgan turned out to be a decent enough talker but they saddled him with a speech impediment gimmick. I guess that could be considered the beginning of a push, but then he was dumped.

Matt Morgan was one of those guys that impressed the hell out of everyone in developmental because he was a great talker and was only going to get better in the ring. Then, yeah, the speech impediment gimmick and being saddled with Carlito who did the talking didn't help then he got released during one of Johnny Ace's purges.

What's funny is TNA made a big deal about signing him and releasing the potential that WWE ignored and then TNA.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Regrettable posted:

A bit nit-picky, but a jab is done with the leading hand, and is used to set up other punches. That's a straight right, which definitely does knock people out.

Edit: my grammar is bad.

True that. I was just emphasizing how lovely it looked but I getcha.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

LvK posted:

True that. I was just emphasizing how lovely it looked but I getcha.

Oh yeah, he really doesn't seem like he tries to make it look it good at all.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rollersnake posted:

So the June 7, 1993 episode of RAW has a pretty fun tag team match: Billy Gunn & Rick Steiner vs. I.R.S. & Fatu. Members of four different established tag teams, mixed and matched.

It's not exactly a good match due to relying too much on interference—and being really loving racist—but the wrestling is solid, and I like the idea behind it. Are there any examples of this sort of match done well?

Battlebowl in WCW was like this, but all the matches were pretty poo poo

An example:
http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x5iwq4?autoPlay=1

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

MotU posted:

I hate anyone who complains about the Bullhammer. The elbow pad is flipped to red, it does more damage. The logic really doesn't get any simpler than that

It's not even that it's more of a cue like HBK's corner stomps, Kofi clapping or Miz'a retarded dinosaur.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Miz's retarded dinosaur

Foley's just found the title of his next children's book.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Who is the most overpushed wrestler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jeff Jarrett