Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Ramos posted:

Fantastic. This is required viewing for everyone now.

As for the missions, it's Suda 51 but let's break it down anyway:

There are a few mechanics at play. First off, Mondo has to stare at a woman's bits while she isn't looking to get guts up. He doesn't get anything from it for being caught (which feels painfully similar to the make out games from the girl game thread). I don't know about you guys, but that just makes me think Mondo's got blue balls and can only get to the end of this stuff by thinking about boning the chick in front of him.

Well if you get caught enough times the Japanese lady eventually pours a kettle of tea down his pants.
Also everyone's saying this is a Suda thing but you gotta keep in mind he only meant it as some minor joke and it was someone else in development who decided to turn it into this weird overblown minigame (at least I think there was a post saying this earlier on?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
It's a great joke! I like the part where the modelling team had to bill the company hours to create the girls, the texture team had to loving decide what type of underwear they wore (don't forget what looks to be an areola!) and spend billable time creating them and also pay for the voice actresses to come in and read lines. Got 'em!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

The reason you get a drill is because it is phallic as all hell (so are the other two weapons you get. Useful, but phallic as all hell).

I and most people I know can't get upset at Gigolo missions because they're so obviously tongue in cheek and ridiculous and absurd that they're just about impossible to take seriously. I just can't imagine them being played straight in any way shape or form.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ManlyGrunting posted:

I and most people I know can't get upset at Gigolo missions because they're so obviously tongue in cheek and ridiculous and absurd that they're just about impossible to take seriously. I just can't imagine them being played straight in any way shape or form.

Apparently the people in this thread can.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is going to go to a bad place, the more you two keep going on about the Gigolo missions and constantly bringing them up to be argued over.

Was it this level or the next one that Geop says it takes off the training wheels and gets really fun and meaty?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Like me! But I presume we aren't that far into the game yet, so I am willing to give all of this the benefit of the doubt at least until all the cards are on the table.

Just saying, upfront, that they'd better be drat good cards, though, cause from what we've seen, I can't call it satire.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Even aside from the ogling, it seems like Mondo could afford better dates than sitting on the girl's front porch and silently staring at her face all night.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

This is going to go to a bad place, the more you two keep going on about the Gigolo missions and constantly bringing them up to be argued over.

Was it this level or the next one that Geop says it takes off the training wheels and gets really fun and meaty?

I think this one, since it's when the arm is needed to be used in earnest and you can start to wrack up big combos and fight the big guys. The next level is sort of slow paced but I just love the atmosphere of it. Plus the enemies can be super fun to fight.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That video literally made me sick by the end of the first race.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, with respect to the gigolo missions - I do know I liked Bayonetta becasue I thought IT was supposed to be a general, you know, parody of hyper-sexualised herione saving the day kind of thing. But it wasn't. So I can't think these missions are, either. Also; even if they ARE supposed to be a parody... well, generally, parodies are funny. That was just sickeningly objectifying.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Samovar posted:

Well, with respect to the gigolo missions - I do know I liked Bayonetta becasue I thought IT was supposed to be a general, you know, parody of hyper-sexualised herione saving the day kind of thing. But it wasn't. So I can't think these missions are, either. Also; even if they ARE supposed to be a parody... well, generally, parodies are funny. That was just sickeningly objectifying.

This is untrue.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

That video literally made me sick by the end of the first race.

Sick... with love.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nanomashoes posted:

Sick... with love.

No, nausea.
This is before Judge's one true love showed up, mind you.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

No, nausea.
This is before Judge's one true love showed up, mind you.

Anthony sock puppet account spotted.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

You have to respect the founder of Hooters, can't think of a more progressive CEO. He started an entire restaurant chain just to parody the male gaze.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

Y'know what they say, scratch a satirical sexist and you'll usually just scratch off the satire.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Neruz posted:

This is untrue.

Fine. Good parodies have to be funny to work.

Tiro
Jul 14, 2011

The Gigolo missions are probably good inasmuch as they're repulsive. They definitely succeed at that much, and that's something. This alone probably doesn't make them a parody though. Yeah, they're not meant to be taken seriously, but I would've thought that a really good pastiche should involve more of an intelligent deconstruction of the thing being lampooned that actually invites some critical reflection. I don't really think that just because something isn't played straight means you should rely on your audience to hunt for any satirical subtext you or they might like to emerge from the work. That's probably just lazy or dumb writing, if it's anything. If it doesn't have its own message to convey and we're just laughing at Mondo because the whole thing seems stupid then it's just that: stupid.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Given that this is a game in which a weirdo with a robot arm and beloved katana teams up with a 12-armed woman, a shrieky schoolgirl (?), a man made half of metal, and a unicorn with fabulous hair, in order to take jobs from ghosts and birds transformed into humans and to fight a man who lives on the moon and wears nothing but a golden jockstrap and crown (plus all the weird poo poo we haven't seen in the LP yet - there are some real doozies yet to come)...

... given all that, I'm not going to believe for a second that the creators then went on to say "You know what? We're going to make a completely serious and straight portrayal of how we think dating ought to be like and put it in this game, and this is what we believe that's like." It's puerile and badly designed, and completely superfluous, and I wish it wasn't in the game so you could get your weapon unlocks in a more normal way. But you'd have to be nuts to think this is remotely something they intended to be played straight.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, but are you supposed to be grossed out by it? I think they wanted to make a funny minigame where you can also oggle women. I just don't see the intellectual difference between this stupid game and something openly skeevy like :nws: Gal Gun :nms: (video of Jeff from Giant Bomb playing anime).

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
getting PTSD from that video

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

And More posted:

Yeah, but are you supposed to be grossed out by it? I think they wanted to make a funny minigame where you can also oggle women. I just don't see the intellectual difference between this stupid game and something openly skeevy like :nws: Gal Gun :nms: (video of Jeff from Giant Bomb playing anime).

What the hell was that? I used to watch anime like 10 years ago, but I don't remember it being this creepy about women. Has this awful trend only come up recently, with all the moe bullshit or whatever?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Abilifier posted:

What the hell was that? I used to watch anime like 10 years ago, but I don't remember it being this creepy about women. Has this awful trend only come up recently, with all the moe bullshit or whatever?

Lady Liberty has been keeping you safe: Wikipedia

Fair enough.
vvvv

And More fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 27, 2014

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

H'okay, let's keep this clean. I'd rather not have borderline NWS stuff in here, linked or otherwise :staredog:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
This update sure has put me over the moon.

Oh that Garfield he sure hates Moondays.

If you like games in a medieval setting you should try Moont and Blade.

My favourite class in DnD is the Moonk.

Be careful if you're Snidely Whiplash, the Moonties are after ya!

I've been thinking of a namechange, I really need a new mooniker.

For letting me out of that bottle I will grant you three Moons.

moon moon moon

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

My favorite crooner song is "Fly me to the moon".

Am I helping?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You're punning up a storm in here, it's like a moonson.

Wait that doesn't seem right

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
At this point the puns don't even phase me any more.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kuvo posted:

Unlike the phases of the moon, you mean?

edit: :thejoke: Welp

And More fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 27, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kuvo posted:

That's a shame. They're pretty funny. But then again, you've never been one to have a reaction to puns anyway.

Panzer Skank, if you're here, please weigh in on this matter.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

And More posted:

Unlike the phases of the moon, you mean?
Kuvo already used the phase pun! Gibbous a break here, pal.

Steam-chat leak:

Panzer posted:

1:05 PM - Geop: ATTN: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639749&pagenumber=10#post431454071
1:06 PM - Panzer: LoUD SIGH

Geop fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 27, 2014

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...
Puns are a great way to turn the tide against waning interest in a video game.

Great LP so far, Geop, can't wait for the next episode!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The day of crisis is upon us, the puns are spilling over from the Disaster thread like an hamburger tsunami.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

edit: eh. This pun thing just isn't working out for me.

And More fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 27, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Panzer Skank, if you're here, please weigh in on this matter.

Geop posted:

Steam-chat leak:

Thank you for this.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

And More posted:

edit: eh. This pun thing just isn't working out for me.

That's alright, good punning can be a heavy burden to lift. Exercising good judgement and knowing your limits is important.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
It's good to see Geop make puns after that video which will not be spoken of. He's like the Titan of puns.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I see we've reached the point where the thread becomes eclipsed by luney puns.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Moon shut up lunar all of you. That's my pun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Puns just crater to the lowest common denominator and I hope you assholes Apollogize really soon.

• Locked thread