Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Street Soldier posted:

That's what anyone would think about their favourite band, why else would they be your favourite?

Good lord.

For the record. I AM one of those Metallica fans. Hell, I actually listened to ALL of LuLu. TWICE.

Despite that, I know Metallica are not "peerless". For one, I know that Gary Holt is a better guitar player than James Hetfield. Lars is a mediocre drummer (at best) and we won't mention what Kirk does on stage these days. I also know how often Metallica ripped off Black Sabbath.

Are they my favourite band? Absofuckinglutely. Am I aware that they are not golden gods walking the Earth? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
MANOWAR announced they will be back in Chicago November 15th.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

If you think Mastodon sucks, like a lot of people do, then you may think that the people that like them must have some kind of developmental disability that prevents them from seeing how boring the music is.

I did the use the word seeing there, but in the way that means knowing or understanding -- hope that didn't confuse you. "Seeing" is my favorite way of getting across that particular concept, but I acknowledge that it is not peerless. You can ask me why else something would be my favorite but hopefully you'll just leave.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Meh, I gush all over Enslaved in this thread but I don't think I could ever call them "peerless" or get all internet mad if someone doesn't like their music.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...

Gaggins posted:

some poo poo

I think you might have me confused with someone else, I didn't call anything peerless.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
I'm an unabashed Megadeth fanboy

But then they released Risk

And then they released The World Needs a Hero

Then they released Super Collider

And now I'm ok with dissenting opinions!
:megadeath:

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Sorry, I didn't realize the "why" question was totally separate from this:

Street Soldier posted:

That's what anyone would think about their favourite band, why else would they be your favourite?

I was just making fun of how you came out of nowhere and started criticizing people after someone playfully poked fun at a poster who thought that Mastodon and Baroness are the pinnacle of music. Your attitude of asking "why" makes it seem like you just want to argue with people without contributing anything.

My contribution is trying to get you to leave, or maybe lurk for a while. We all know that people have different opinions, there's no need to prove that here.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The only thing more boring and fruitless than Mastodonchat (or their music har har) is Ghostchat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
ghost did a really slick abba cover

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...

Gaggins posted:

Sorry, I didn't realize the "why" question was totally separate from this:

I was just making fun of how you came out of nowhere and started criticizing people after someone playfully poked fun at a poster who thought that Mastodon and Baroness are the pinnacle of music.

So when I do it it's crazy but when someone else does it it's just playful fun? You

Gaggins posted:

Your attitude of asking "why" makes it seem like you just want to argue with people without contributing anything.

Yet your whole contribution is "Mastodon are boring."

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ghost are the only true innovators in the stale world of brutal death metal

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Gaggins posted:

Your attitude of asking "why" makes it seem like you just want to argue with people without contributing anything.

Street Soldier posted:

Yet your whole contribution is "Mastodon are boring."

didn't see that coming

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I like Mayhem, and I'm okay with people that think they've overstayed their welcome.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
drat I really love fancy myself some chat over if someone's mental condition if they like musicbands, but I'm gonna derail here to mention that Empyrium is making a come back next month after twelve years of silence. They still retain their 1997-synth trademarks, woodwinds/strings and uniquely odd goth clean vocals for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsrqSq1SSeM

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 30, 2014

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Trees and Squids posted:

Ghost are the only true innovators in the stale world of brutal death metal

Say what you will but they managed to come up with a way to make the devil completely boring and uninteresting. Who knows what barrier they'll take down next?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dead Man Posting posted:

drat I really love fancy myself some chat over if someone's mental condition if they like musicbands, but I'm gonna derail here to mention that Empyrium is making a come back next month after twelve years of silence. They still retain their 1997-synth trademarks, woodwinds/strings and uniquely odd goth clean vocals for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsrqSq1SSeM

Well you just made my year!!!!!!

I loving love Empyrium - holy poo poo do I ever love em!!

Thank you, thank you! I just put them down as a gone and forgotten band - wish I kept up to date to hear about this.

This is so loving GOOD!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
An addendum to my Mastodon is boring tut-tutting: I saw them on one of their earliest tours opening for Clutch and they were pretty good from what I remember. On the other hand Clutch had a fill-in guitarist because Tim Sult broke his arm so they wound up playing a bunch of Bad Brains covers and that's gonna overshadow everything else.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
hey so if you have some spare change you can help Rigor Mortis make a new album.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rigor-mortis-new-album-slaves-to-the-grave

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn Empyrium is so great! I need to get his on DVD - I didnt even know they played loving live?!! And goddamn Neige is there on backup guitar!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKsBTXFKP9U

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

MrBling posted:

hey so if you have some spare change you can help Rigor Mortis make a new album.

You can also donate to Ne Obliviscaris to help them finance a world tour, and possibly get an exclusive EP :toot: Man, all the ways you can spend your money, it's really quite something.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

You're drat right I'll give Ne Obliviscaris $45 for a t-shirt and so they can get to America

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

Goddamn Empyrium is so great! I need to get his on DVD - I didnt even know they played loving live?!! And goddamn Neige is there on backup guitar!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKsBTXFKP9U

Wow all the vocals sound better live. I mean usually vocals always sound better live, but this is a stark improvement.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soKoxQE1p6g

For those looking for a summery Moonsorrow-y vibe

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I really love The Haunted.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

I really love The Haunted.

I listened to One Kill Wonder this morning for the first time in years and I said this exact same thing. Aloud. To myself. Alone in the car.

:rock:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kumbamontu posted:

I listened to One Kill Wonder this morning for the first time in years and I said this exact same thing. Aloud. To myself. Alone in the car.

:rock:

Marco Aro sucks a lot but the guitar work and tone on that album just can't be beat.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Alestorm posted an album preview with snippets of every song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3mPLnjDjv0

As expected, it all sounds so amazingly goofy and retardedly catchy. This band is just so much fun and I can't wait for this album. Gonna buy a bottle of Captain Morgan and sing along 'til my neighbours' ears bleed. :yarr:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

MrBling posted:

there's no way this is going to make it, is there? :(

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I just saw Watain for the first time last friday and I'm not really into black metal but drat that was one terrific show. Great vocalist too.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I still love Opeth but I am glad this thread doesn't poo poo on them as much as they used to, ghost and mastodon are the new whipping boys

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I still love Opeth but I am glad this thread doesn't poo poo on them as much as they used to, ghost and mastodon are the new whipping boys

Eh, I still really love their old stuff, up to about the first half of Ghost Reveries.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Klaaz posted:

I just saw Watain for the first time last friday and I'm not really into black metal but drat that was one terrific show. Great vocalist too.

Was there any animal blood at the show?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I love Ghost but I'm a grown up and can handle other people disliking them. Also they aren't metal.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

People making GBS threads on Mastodon isn't exactly new, that has been happening since they first got popular in the "mainstream".

MrBling fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 2, 2014

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I think people will poo poo on Opeth again when the new album comes out.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Insomnium is touring the US with Dark Tranquility next January. I'm super excited to finally see this band live (that I have only been listening to since last year, thanks thread). How are their live shows (Insomnium, not DT)?

http://www.centurymedia.com/tourdatesartist.aspx?IdArtist=474

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ill just ignore it - as someone who was firmly on the cock of Mikael up until Ghost Reveries - they can just gently caress off. Change the name of the drat band already.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

comes along bort posted:

An addendum to my Mastodon is boring tut-tutting: I saw them on one of their earliest tours opening for Clutch and they were pretty good from what I remember. On the other hand Clutch had a fill-in guitarist because Tim Sult broke his arm so they wound up playing a bunch of Bad Brains covers and that's gonna overshadow everything else.

I saw this tour back in like 2003 or so. I had never heard either band before, only heard OF Clutch and they both killed it. I am now a huge fan of both bands. My Mastodon shirt I got from that show is now one of my go-to gym shirts. That is my Mastodon story.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Vintersorg posted:

Ill just ignore it - as someone who was firmly on the cock of Mikael up until Ghost Reveries - they can just gently caress off. Change the name of the drat band already.

Watershed was decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Come on over to the black metal thread if you'd like to try making GBS threads on Deafheaven. Coming next: Young and in the Way