Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Something makes me think I should have brought Baileys with me today to work for my morning coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Green Crayons posted:

3 boxes for opinions + 2 opinions + First opinion is only 70 pages (opinion + dissent) = crazy Hobby Lobby shenanigans?

edit:

Lyle: "Harris occupied only the first box."

Heller was hundreds of pages IIRC.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Maybe they found a backdoor to overturn Roe v Wade with Hobby Lobby?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
It's here.

Brace yourselves.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Green Crayons posted:

= crazy Hobby Lobby shenanigans?

Ginsburg in her dissent rises from her seat and attacks Alito with a machete declaring "The beast must die"
e: HERE IT COMES

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Closely held corporations cannot be required to provide contraception coverage.
- See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014#sthash.S683655x.dpuf

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
So now we get to quibble over the definitely of "closely held". Wonderful.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CommanderApaul posted:

Beats the alternative.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

CommanderApaul posted:

Scotusblog gives examples like "Conestoga, Hobby Lobby, and Mardel."

I dunno man.

EDIT: only for contraception. Jehovah's witnesses, Christian scientists, you're out of luck.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CommanderApaul posted:

It can be pretty well defined. Not traded on a market. Owners are also managers. etc.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

:wow:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Here is a further attempt at qualification: This decision concerns only the contraceptive mandate and should not be understood to mean that all insurance mandates, that is for blood transfusions or vaccinations, necessarily fail if they conflict with an employer's religious beliefs. - See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014#sthash.zZmLbbG8.dpuf

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawl

"This only applies to things that correspond with MY religious beliefs: you had better be able to cite the new testament for whatever you're arguing"

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
^^^^^ :argh:

"This decision concerns only the contraceptive mandate and should not be understood to mean that all insurance mandates, that is for blood transfusions or vaccinations, necessarily fail if they conflict with an employer's religious beliefs. - See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014#sthash.BSotkERN.dpuf"

lol because reasons

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Kennedy: "The government should pay for it, not the religious! :smug:"

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Edit - Beaten twice.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

:wow:

Why? What is the basis for this? The law applies to corporations.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

quote:

Here is a further attempt at qualification: This decision concerns only the contraceptive mandate and should not be understood to mean that all insurance mandates, that is for blood transfusions or vaccinations, necessarily fail if they conflict with an employer's religious beliefs. - See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014#sthash.VlToVcmW.dpuf

quote:

Here is more qualification: It does not provide a shield for employers who might cloak illegal discrimination as a religious practice. - See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014#sthash.VlToVcmW.dpuf
Heh. Only religious beliefs that spring from the theory that "women are dirty" are protected by RFRA.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This is the most retarded loving thing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

"This only applies to things that correspond with MY religious beliefs: you had better be able to cite the new testament for whatever you're arguing"

Christian Nation!!!! :freep:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Three dissents oh boy.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

evilweasel posted:

"This only applies to things that correspond with MY religious beliefs".

So they know their decision is wrong, but they want it badly enough?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

"This decision concerns only the contraceptive mandate and should not be understood to mean that all insurance mandates, that is for blood transfusions or vaccinations, necessarily fail if they conflict with an employer's religious beliefs. - See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014#sthash.BSotkERN.dpuf"

lol because reasons
I'm very glad Scalia didn't write a concurrence saying that he agrees with the majority but also that legal reasoning extends it to all sorts of crazy poo poo.

It'd be like the anti-Windsor dissent.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

beats the alternative

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Never mind. Everything is terrible. WElp thanks for ruining my week first thing Monday morning SCOTUS.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Could it be as simple as "contraception only" because that is what was being disputed?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Why? What is the basis for this? The law applies to corporations.

I'm shocked they didn't apply it to everyone. Alito wrote the thing I was preparing for the worst.

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider
Old-rear end religious people support old-rear end religious company...I'm shocked =/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

^^^^^ :argh:

lol because reasons

"Here is more qualification: It does not provide a shield for employers who might cloak illegal discrimination as a religious practice."

Only until the next case once President Cruz replaces notable swing-vote Kennedy... :unsmigghh:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Three dissents oh boy.

Yeah, this seems like such a bad decision everyone wants a piece of it. I'll be interested to see just how much they call this "we made up a rule for contraception that applies to nothing else" poo poo.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Doctor Butts posted:

This is the most retarded loving thing.

I'm betting that they had to narrow it to keep Kennedy on board leading to all sorts of restrictions on the decision, logic be damned.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

euphronius posted:

Could it be as simple as "contraception only" because that is what was being disputed?
Perhaps, but what's the logic behind that? Jehovah's really don't really want blood transfusions and they really believe that. What's different?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Ginsburg says it's of "startling breadth."

So it won't be her, probably.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
This ruling is a joke. If you are saying religious beliefs should be followed then all should be. By limiting it to contraceptive only you are opening it to ANOTHER challenge for more overreach by corporations to claim religious freedom. Screw this...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

"Here is more qualification: It does not provide a shield for employers who might cloak illegal discrimination as a religious practice."

Only until the next case once President Cruz replaces notable swing-vote Kennedy... :unsmigghh:

Hahaha Congress and the SC already gave religious corps the right to unlawfully discriminate in employment.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Allaniis posted:

Perhaps, but what's the logic behind that? Jehovah's really don't really want blood transfusions and they really believe that. What's different?
Reasons.

And abortion.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Allaniis posted:

New Testament only, weirdos.

e: OUR understanding of the NT only, weirdos.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

euphronius posted:

We'll have to wait and see, but I doubt it. The reason this is a monumentally stupid decision is because any rationale creates absurd outcomes elsewhere. They've apparently resolved it just by saying that it doesn't apply to any of those other ones.

It's Bush v. Gore's "this decision has no precendential value because we're just basically picking Bush and we did it too quickly to be sure our rule is one we ever want to use again" all over again.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

So it only applies to contraception, not other religious beliefs like transfusions or vaccinations? I was hoping that if they were going crazy, they would at least go full-on :unsmigghh:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Allaniis posted:

Judicial conservatism, hahaha. The SC only has jurisdiction of actual disputes. It will be up to the Circuits to extend everything though and they will dont worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ElrondHubbard posted:

So it only applies to contraception, not other religious beliefs like transfusions or vaccinations? I was hoping that if they were going crazy, they would at least go full-on :unsmigghh:
Give it a few years.