Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Buzkashi posted:

Richard Pryor's day job
Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Haruharuharuko posted:

I like to think to driver of the taxi was smoking and then this happened.

That's actually probably what happened. GTA4 actually does that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

That guard just found himself in the middle of a fairy tale musical number.

Some daaaay my Dovahkin will come...

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

"Must've been the wind..."

Content:
My pose glitched out slightly in Dark Souls.

I don't think it is a good idea to warm your legs like that...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TZer0 posted:

Content:
My pose glitched out slightly in Dark Souls.

I don't think it is a good idea to warm your legs like that...

You've been wading around in a poisonous swamp all day, it's good to dry your feet!

Content:
I was messing around with modifying armors (using CE) and one misstep later my character lost his torso and started playing an invisible trombone..

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
Was flipping through my steam screenshots, and this one is probably my favourite glitch that I could replicate.

(Max Payne 3 in case it wasn't obvious)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Its happened to me too.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
WWE14K AI is a gift that keeps giving.

Then she kept walking around like that for 3 minutes while others brawled.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Jul 4, 2014

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Ewwww its a corpse full of maggots!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ugh. That's a glitch? I can see a horror game using this to freak out the players into thinking something's going to burst out.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ha this reminds me of a time when I completed New Vegas. It seems like the ending cinematic montage isn't a proper cutscene, because while the slides displayed General Oliver started doing endless laps of my character. Wish I had saved a screenshot or something...

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

MariusLecter posted:

Well c'mon, y'all! Commence the Jigglin'
\

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

EvilHawk posted:

Ha this reminds me of a time when I completed New Vegas. It seems like the ending cinematic montage isn't a proper cutscene, because while the slides displayed General Oliver started doing endless laps of my character. Wish I had saved a screenshot or something...

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the "cutscene" slideshows in New Vegas were handled by teleporting your character to a box floating inside of nothing, locking your view into place and then using one of the projectors to show you the slides. So yeah, you can have all kinds of poo poo happen in there since it's actually still "in-game."

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the "cutscene" slideshows in New Vegas were handled by teleporting your character to a box floating inside of nothing, locking your view into place and then using one of the projectors to show you the slides. So yeah, you can have all kinds of poo poo happen in there since it's actually still "in-game."

That explains why I'd take a sip from my lucky canteen during the cutscenes.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
Been playing Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare recently and every now and then, the world just goes bizarre and every NPC or zombie that spawns in will spawn without a head. Makes the game somewhat difficult to play given that headshots are the only reliable way to kill zombies, but oh well.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Inspector_666 posted:

Apparently it warps your companion character there too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Robert Denby posted:

Apparently it warps your companion character there too.

Do you just turn on noclip while you're in there?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Avocados posted:

There's actually a different set of commands that sets your perspective during scenes like that. I think all you have to do is activate player movement and reset field of view.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Half-Life 2 does a similar thing with video screens in-game. For instance, in the first area you can walk around, if you noclip into the sky you can find the room where Dr. Breen's torso is addressing the camera, and dump Barney there.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
In FNV's hardcore mode it's possible to starve to death during the end cutscene. Gamebryo, Gamebryo never changes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

:allears:

e: also, using a monster mod that adds in a bunch of crazy stuff so something bursting out of him wasn't off the table.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Please do not take flash photography during the piano performance by Backwardshands Pianomans.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Avocados posted:

The game has this bit of code, I think its called SetRestrained - that locks a given character in place.
I'm guessing you just setrestrained to 0 for yourself and you should be able to walk around the room.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Torquemadras posted:

I think it's also due to a change in development. DS2 is a larger game than DS1, and my guess is that they had multiple teams working on zones seperately before connecting them. It explains why neighbor zones are often quite inconsistent thematically, and why there are some weirdlevel transitions. (You all know the one...) I may be alone on this one, but I think DS2 would've worked better with the archstone system from Demon's Soul. If you can't make your world consistent, chop out everything but the consistent parts, I don't mind personally.

On the other hand, it means we got more levels in total, so... ups and downs, I guess? :shrug:

Mehh, like others have said, this doesn't really fly. Even if you go with the whole 'transitions are sometimes weird because different teams made the levels' thing, it's not like there wouldn't be someone overseeing how the levels were being designed. The way it works when you break a project up into teams, the teams are assigned specific projects decided on by the producer or director to insure consistency, and are then given a schedule with regular progress check-ins to review their work. They aren't just left to do whatever-the-gently caress and then you jumble it all together at the end and go 'whoops, tee-hee we made a lava level over your mountain, oh well!'..

I mean, even if you assume that someone had done something so hideously irresponsible with managing the creation of the game that it was all slapped together from disparate teams who were working independently with little to no communication, do you honestly think no one ever checked in before the completion of the game to see what the teams were designing? That no one would be like 'hey don't make that type of level for that area' or 'hmm, these are the levels we are making, maybe we should put the sea of lava at another transition?' I mean, if it was really so slapdash, then why wouldn't they just move the lava world somewhere else? Just switch a portal with another level that makes more sense to put up there. And do you really think they'd make it all the way through testing without anyone commenting on the strangeness of the inconsistency?

It's intentional. It should be obvious it's intentional just by the inherent nature of games and how they're made.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Jul 6, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

carry on then posted:

Half-Life 2 does a similar thing with video screens in-game. For instance, in the first area you can walk around, if you noclip into the sky you can find the room where Dr. Breen's torso is addressing the camera, and dump Barney there.

In early Unreal-engine games the skybox worked the same way, and you could have a bunch of five-mile enemies patrolling around in the distance.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yep, source does that as well. One of the most hilarious things I've done has been to use Garry's mod to load up the first level of HL2 and just go to town.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I mean, even if you assume that someone had done something so hideously irresponsible with managing the creation of the game that it was all slapped together from disparate teams who were working independently with little to no communication, do you honestly think no one ever checked in before the completion of the game to see what the teams were designing? That no one would be like 'hey don't make that type of level for that area' or 'hmm, these are the levels we are making, maybe we should put the sea of lava at another transition?' I mean, if it was really so slapdash, then why wouldn't they just move the lava world somewhere else? Just switch a portal with another level that makes more sense to put up there. And do you really think they'd make it all the way through testing without anyone commenting on the strangeness of the inconsistency?

It happens more than you'd probably believe.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

It happens more than you'd probably believe.

Yeah but with Fromsoft?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

carry on then posted:

Yep, source does that as well. One of the most hilarious things I've done has been to use Garry's mod to load up the first level of HL2 and just go to town.

Isn't that kind of what you do anyways? :downsrim:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mehh, like others have said, this doesn't really fly. Even if you go with the whole 'transitions are sometimes weird because different teams made the levels' thing, it's not like there wouldn't be someone overseeing how the levels were being designed. The way it works when you break a project up into teams, the teams are assigned specific projects decided on by the producer or director to insure consistency, and are then given a schedule with regular progress check-ins to review their work. They aren't just left to do whatever-the-gently caress and then you jumble it all together at the end and go 'whoops, tee-hee we made a lava level over your mountain, oh well!'..

It's intentional. It should be obvious it's intentional just by the inherent nature of games and how they're made.

Why did you go back three pages for something nobody cares about? :psyduck: Can every thread pertaining to games have the subtitle "Shut up about Dark Souls 2 level transitions" (Especially the Dark Souls 2 thread.)

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

It's an upside down floating castle

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

You do not have to explain project management to me. It's, frankly, a bit insulting.

Also, this does by no means mean map consistency was at any point a priority for From Software, because that thing is very tough to do. It's a whole 'nother layer of complexity, and given that DS2 is a good deal bigger (as well as spread over an entire continent), I'm not surprised the head designers didn't want to deal with that as much. This leads to inconsistencies that are really small, kinda umimportant and, at worst, somewhat puzzling. Who knows, maybe some people even noticed and decided to keep it in. Does that sound like an acceptable compromise to you, or are you gonna pounce on this three pages later again?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Just before the Dwarf Fortress 40 launch, Toady posted this:

Toady One posted:

Change one line and the world erupts in no-quarter knife fights apparently... hopefully we've emerged from that.

For some reason that made me laugh really hard.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Sestze posted:

GET OVER HERE

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Sestze posted:

Just before the Dwarf Fortress 40 launch, Toady posted this:

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

That's awfully truthful for a demon of lies.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Technically he's no longer plotting.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And really, a lie by omission is still a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I really wish that game was more approachable.