Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Speaking of Dairanger, there is an episode of Akibaranger you will adore. I caught it immediately after finishing Dairanger and it just blew my mind how much love they poured into it. They even had Rin's awful idol song, it's incredible.

Lol, I had almost forgotten about Rin's stint as an idol.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I tried watching Dairanger and gave up on episode 4 because I couldn't tell you the names of any of the characters and nothing seemed to make any sense to me. I may have to try watching it again if it gets better, because as it is it's baffled me for ages how everyone praised Dairanger and I couldn't get into it at all.

I'd say give it another shot and give yourself till episode 7 or 8 before you decide. There's a little two-parter there that is probably the best couple of episodes in the whole first 15. If you like those two, then you'll like where the story eventually leads (after episode 8, though, you'll have to grind through what I'd say is the worst 7 or 8 episode stretch in the whole series before the 6th ranger is introduced...it really gets good after that, though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

As said above, it was partly because Saban was worried the first gen suits were too at the time. The other thing I would say largely contributed though was an uncertainty as to whether or not fans would continue to care if they weren't 'The Mighty Moprhin' Power Rangers'. Saban had spent years trying to get the sentai franchise state side in some fashion or another, and even with the rampant success of MMPR's first season, they weren't willing to yet risk the 'new team per season' format that sentai, in case it killed off interest, so they compromised in various ways. In Space, even if relying on characters from a previous season, was also the first were none of the first generation rangers, or anyone who'd worn a dino themed outfit, were part of the regular cast at any part, and given it had saved Power Rangers rating wise, proved that fan interest didn't necessarily rely on it being the originals. Lost Galaxy then brought this to full fruition by starting with a whole new cast, though it still had some carry over elements just in case, like Bulk and the Professor (even if sorely underused), the Astro Megaship, Alpha, etc. Whilst Lost Galaxy saw a subsequent downturn and a very troubled schedule, it nevertheless proved decently successful, and so Lightspeed Rescue without any connections save for minor aesthetics and the one crossover episode. They basically took their time about being convinced this sort of thing could be done.

This makes way more sense than the idea of the movie being too close. The movie's built around them getting new powers (including the halfway ninja suits) and would've been SO easy to use as a means to introduce a version of the Kakuranger suits, at least.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Studio Megaane has been pumping out 8-bit versions of tokusatsu songs for a while, along with anime songs and a bunch of other random stuff. (Ever wanted to listen to Walk Like an Egyptian as a Famicom midi? Now you can.)

Now he's got a collection of Power Rangers tracks, too. And they come on NES carts instead of Famicom carts because they're American :allears:

http://megaane8bit.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-47.html

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm
Hello SS/PR goons,

I only watched seasons 1-3 when I was actually a kid, but randomly decided that I wanted to catch up on every American season since then just for the hell of it, so for the last month I've been going through each subsequent season at a steady clip, in some cases just watching the Linkara review plus the beginning and end plus 4 to 6 other episodes from a season if it seemed like it just wasn't that good. I've never seen a single episode of the Sentai.

I just finished Operation Overdrive.

What. The. gently caress.

I thought Turbo was stupid, but holy crap Operation Overdrive was bad.

Please tell me it doesn't get worse than that.

On the other side of things, I really liked In Space and Lightspeed Rescue. Dino Thunder, Time Force, and Ninja Storm weren't bad either.

Adjunct Cheesecake fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 29, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Adjunct Cheesecake posted:

Please tell me it doesn't get worse than that.

Stick around for RPM. It's all downhill after that.
So much worse than Overdrive.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Samurai is, barring a few episodes here or there, a google translate version of the original Shinkenger, which whilst perhaps not as bad if you've never watched Shinkenger, it does create issues where some scenes are kept but robbed of their meaning, or have a context that whilst okay in Japan, is kinda off putting for the west. It also wastes Bulk and Spike (who is Skull's son) by having them not really interact with the rangers most of the time, transformed or otherwise, but it does have a few saving graces. It ultimately retains one of the most important twists of sentai history, thus making it part of PR history, but to get there you had to wade through several dozen episodes where the dialogue was, according to the actors, performed in such a way that was specifically meant to be as if speaking to a young child.

Megaforce, for its first half, might as well be retitled Generic force. So much, as part of a supposed 'homage' to the original, is watered down to the most broad ideas imaginable, and so even in a franchise now with over twenty years of history and repeated episode ideas, it doesn't have much to offer in terms of specific themes and ideas. Hell, the actual powers are never given a real motif of any kind (since they obviously couldn't use the angels from the sentai for obvious reasons) beyond 'Earth's defenders', and that's the freaking job description. And for a show that's supposed to be the prologue/first half of the biggest crossover the franchise will have ever seen, it gets so confused on how its meant to be even be tied in to the rest of the Power Ranger franchise, with every reference contradictory and confusing, and at one point a woman asks if the blue power ranger is 'some kind of superhero'. She is the 'there's no such thing as monsters' woman reborn. The villains have really little to no time to work with, since they average out to about 6-7 episodes each of being around entirely before a new set comes along. Its a problem retained from the sentai, but compressed and made even more prominent, and the second set is particularly egregious because they have the origins of the Orgs, but are called 'mutants'. Yeah. Totally relying on kids having been born after the tenth anniversary there.

Super Megaforce, whilst still kinda 'average' at best, is a step back in the right direction though, actually attempting character development and giving some weight to its plot, even if it'll only have twenty or so episodes total. The pirate theme from Gokaiger is totally lost, mind you, but now its kind of got an understanding what being the anniversary celebration is all about? A couple rangers have reappeared thus far, and the powers for others have popped up. The non-fight scenes are actually decent to watch and give some life to the characters, plus making better use of its supporting cast than the first half did. A new Sixth Ranger also comes along with... basically one of the more used backstories for that sort, but still one of the darkest things the show has had for a while, since it pretty much involves - not using the word but quite clearly depicted - genocide. Unfortunately the show is on hiatus yet again, and thus there's only eight episodes to watch to Megaforce's twenty-something. I'd almost recommend watching the first couple eps of Megaforce, then skip to Robo Knight episodes, and then from there into the finale that introduces the armada. Beyond that, you are really not missing much. And I'm only citing the Robo Knight stuff because it forms part of Troy's (who arguably is more of a robot in his acting) plotline/angst for Super Megaforce.

Fortunately though, if you're still hanging around Operation Overdrive, you're also heading into Jungle Fury, which I feel is an underrated but actually pretty decent season of the franchise. Its got a few sly jokes, actually knows how to homage the original whilst still being its own thing (the teens working at a pizza parlour instead of a juice bar, which is also their headquarters), actually tries to give some focus to character relationships and potential romance, and yes, has the stoner werewolf mentor. RJ is one of the coolest guys in the franchise, in part because realising he needed to create a team to defend the world, but otherwise is just a random martial artist with a pizza parlour, he had to get the team's morphers off the black market.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Studio Megaane has been pumping out 8-bit versions of tokusatsu songs for a while, along with anime songs and a bunch of other random stuff. (Ever wanted to listen to Walk Like an Egyptian as a Famicom midi? Now you can.)

Now he's got a collection of Power Rangers tracks, too. And they come on NES carts instead of Famicom carts because they're American :allears:

http://megaane8bit.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-47.html

Walk Like an Egyptian is an anime song now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-j7hdzRLa8

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm
Finished Jungle Fury 4-5 days ago, and just finished binging through RPM.

Jungle Fury seemed like a nice season that didn't take itself too seriously, and I actually got to know the characters. Unfortunately, the plot seemed to sputter out about halfway through the season until the the last three episodes zoomed to the finish. A big plus of this season was how likable the characters were. The rangers, RJ, and even Fran were all likable, and Casey is an atypical red ranger in that he had more than a few character flaws but didn't come off as annoying, that allowed for more character development. RJ is now my favorite power rangers character ever, and Flit seems to be the most useless. The worst part was the pacing, that and how easy it was to lose track of the villains. After watching Jungle Fury, it seemed like one of the better seasons to me.

RPM. Wow what a season. There wasn't much I didn't like about this season and lots of things I did like. Aside from a brief lull late in the season before the two-part finale, the pacing worked pretty well. Of the seasons I've watched so far, this one seemed to have the least filler episodes, each episode usually did something to advance the plot. I liked that each ranger got their own focus episode more or less, more than any other season I felt like I knew who the characters were. Scott was a bit underwhelming as a red ranger. I liked Gem and Gemma but can see how others found them annoying. Although the black ranger had a lot of focus throughout the season, it didn't get old to me, there was usually something going on with his character. The plot seemed very good overall. This is definitely the best season of PR I've watched. I don't think any other season comes very close for me.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Outside of literally copying a plotline from In Space, RPM is great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RPM. Wow what a season. There wasn't much I didn't like about this season and lots of things I did like. Aside from a brief lull late in the season before the two-part finale, the pacing worked pretty well. Of the seasons I've watched so far, this one seemed to have the least filler episodes, each episode usually did something to advance the plot. I liked that each ranger got their own focus episode more or less, more than any other season I felt like I knew who the characters were. Scott was a bit underwhelming as a red ranger. I liked Gem and Gemma but can see how others found them annoying. Although the black ranger had a lot of focus throughout the season, it didn't get old to me, there was usually something going on with his character. The plot seemed very good overall. This is definitely the best season of PR I've watched. I don't think any other season comes very close for me.

The low amount of filler is also aided by the truncated season length.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Knowing very little about Goseiger other than that their suits rule, could it have been adapted into a shorter season, say 26 episodes, and not come off completely as a toy commercial? I tried watching the first few episodes (e: of Megaforce), but it was such a hollow retread of MMPR, I gave up and watched In Space again.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 4, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Trying to truncate Goseiger to half the original size would have Bladerun betraying people as soon as they show up, I'm pretty sure.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
IIRC there was a writers union strike in the 2nd half of Jungle Fury and scab writers took over, which explains the sputtering plot over that part of the season. Looks like it's episodes 16 to 28. Ally Mondera (drat Loyaller), William Carter (Calm Liar Write), Sofia Sprittey (Ratifies Typos), Patrick Skuel (A Picket Lurks) and so forth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Power_Rangers_Jungle_Fury_episodes

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Inkspot posted:

Knowing very little about Goseiger other than that their suits rule, could it have been adapted into a shorter season, say 26 episodes, and not come off completely as a toy commercial? I tried watching the first few episodes (e: of Megaforce), but it was such a hollow retread of MMPR, I gave up and watched In Space again.

They could have cut out all of the filler episodes from the first two factions, along with the third in its entirety and most of the sixth ranger's stuff and it could have been done with some work. It still probably would have needed 30 episodes and lost everything that people found decent about it. There are seasons that you can cut down and seasons that you can't, Goseiger was one of the later. Even without trying to stick to the plot practically everything but the villains and the suits had to be tossed out anyway because the season just wasn't suitable to adaption.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can absolutely get a good story out of 26 episodes, the problem is that PR didn't bother and just took whatever was in Goseiger and shoved it into that episode frame as basically filler until Mega.

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010
I'll probably always have a "What could have been?"-melancholy attached to RPM around it's show-runner, Eddie Guzelian, being fired halfway through filming and replaced by Judd Lynn. What we ended up with under the new regime was good and I like Judd Lynn's body of work as EP and am glad he's coming back for Dino Charge, but the bits and pieces of Eddie's endgame that have been revealed since seem pretty epic and I kind of feel a little bit cheated.

Hinoarashi fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 4, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hinoarashi posted:

I'll probably always have a "What could have been?"-melancholy attached to RPM around it's show-runner, Eddie Guzelian, being fired halfway through filming and replaced by Judd Lynn. What we ended up with under the new regime was good and I like Judd Lynn's body of work as EP and am glad he's coming back for Dino Charge, but the bits and pieces of Eddie's endgame that have been revealed since seem pretty epic and I kind of feel a little bit cheated.

Well part of that was because he blew the budget on the series and that's generally something frowned upon.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Honestly, in some ways the Megaforce/Super Megaforce transition could have actually been used to get around Goseiger's issues of having three sets of villains (+1 final boss), if they had actually bothered to more deliberately build up to the latter outside of Troy's brief dream bits. I mean, really, they do thrice in one year what most rangers do as their whole career before hanging up the helmets forever. What about commenting on how strange it is that every time they wiped out the last threat, a new one suddenly popped up out of the woodwork? Or perhaps have the Warstar fleeing something and really in need or a planet to fortify, even if they only know how to conquer? The mutants the result of a bioweapon sent to try and purge the Earth before the Armada arrived to just sweep up instead of Orgs 2.0? Just spitballing, but they could have tried.

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Well part of that was because he blew the budget on the series and that's generally something frowned upon.

The finished product he put out during his tenure was outstanding and I would have liked to see more of it. Whether or not his spending habits would have prevented that is irrelevant to that desire. :)

FWIW though, Eddie responded to that claim a couple of years ago in a RangerCrew Q&A back when it was a hot topic in the fandom.

quote:

There are three primary accusations that are being leveled at me by people on these boards in a desperate attempt to justify my termination, all of which have varying degrees of truth to them, and all of which are a pretty gross misrepresentations of what actually happened.

I'll try to quickly address each of them--

1) THE BUDGET

The notion that I single-handedly burned through the show's budget or even mismanaged it is absurd. I had no formal approval over any of the money spent on the show or any control over what money was spent where. This power rested exclusively in the hands of the show's line producer in NZ and the Disney finance executive overseeing the project. I could not have blown the budget on stuff even if I wanted to because I did not have any direct power or control over how or where the money was spent.

As I have mentioned earlier, there was never a time when I asked Disney for more money and they refused or a time when they told me to adjust the general direction of the show for budget reasons and I refused. I worked tirelessly during my entire time on the show to come up with new and inventive ways to save money. Despite some flashy moments in the promo, I designed the show to be built around the actors as opposed to special effects, and this was done in an effort to deal with the budget constraints. I was always asking for things to be smaller and less, not bigger and more. Ask anyone who was there.

As the show's Executive Producer, I have to, at the end of the day, accept some responsibility for any budget overages. But anyone trying to lay the entire blame for that exclusively on me or trying to make it sound like the show has no money left for the second half of production because of me is just trying to deflect blame, avoid responsibility, and cover their own ***.

Source.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Hinoarashi posted:

...but the bits and pieces of Eddie's endgame that have been revealed since seem pretty epic and I kind of feel a little bit cheated.

What would have happened?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

I would also like to know this.

quote:

As the show's Executive Producer, I have to, at the end of the day, accept some responsibility for any budget overages. But anyone trying to lay the entire blame for that exclusively on me or trying to make it sound like the show has no money left for the second half of production because of me is just trying to deflect blame, avoid responsibility, and cover their own ***.

This is a great quote.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sounds like he probably wouldn't come back which is a drat shame.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Xelkelvos posted:

Sounds like he probably wouldn't come back which is a drat shame.

He was with Disney back then, Saban could be a different story.

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

Here's a blurb about Eddie's finale that Chris Funaro posted around the time RPM ended.

I'll provide a little title context since it's been awhile: Remember how all the early Rangers (except for Dillon) and Dr. K had episodes that made them flashback to their past pre-Venjix (simply titled "Ranger _____", and "Dr. K" respectively) over the course of the first half of the season. Well...

quote:

The finale was "Ranger Black," where after Venjix is destroyed and Summer finally chooses which boy she wanted to be with, the sleeper programming in Dillon activates. The memories of he and Tenaya together were falsified and meant to lead the Rangers into taking him into their ranks and allowing him greater trust. Dillon NEVER EXISTED AT ALL. Now it falls to the rest of the team to destroy Venjix once and for all, even now that he controls the Morphing Grid.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't even know what most of the context for the first half the season was but that little blurb there already sounds better than anything I've seen on SyFy since the first season of Battlestar Galactica.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

So Dillon absorbs the remainder of Messiah Venjix's programming and becomes Ranger Dark Buster?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
/=

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

So Dillon absorbs the remainder of Messiah Venjix's programming and becomes Ranger Dark Buster?

Like I said, Go-Busters may as well be the sequel to RPM

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Speaking of Power Rangers and "What would have happened" I only recently read about Hexagon and drat I really wish that actually existed because it sounds incredible.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking of Power Rangers and "What would have happened" I only recently read about Hexagon and drat I really wish that actually existed because it sounds incredible.

Yeah, I'm gonna try to convince Wade to let us do a Hexagon episode of Podcasters With Attitude as a post Wild Force bonus episode. Just take like an hour and do some what-if speculation and fanwank.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I volunteer for that episode, fanwank and what could have been articles are a semiguilty pleasure of mine to do and read.

I still need to find what's wrong with my computer :negative:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

It was also insane, because it would've cost way more than the previous years at a point were they were looking to cut costs. You're bringing back past cast members in a way that positions them as selling points, you're re-using old costumes. You'd need a TON of original suit footage and mech fights, as no matter how you cut it, Hurricanger is not going to fully fit the bill. AND they were talking about adding a seventh ranger to fit in another girl? So that's more design work and more original footage.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Hexagon sounds like a logical progression of the series. Generations of teenagers recruited to fight aliens and demons would eventually pool their resources to impart knowledge to a modern team, and of course the government would want to step in, but it would have required a ridiculous budget.

The only thing that doesn't click for me is why they'd put Tommy in charge. Fan favoritism and experience, sure, but I feel like someone would have eventually read his psych profile and stepped in, and a switch in who the sponsored mentor was mid-season from Tommy to Jason (Or anyone else, really.), and how that affected the entire operation, would be much more interesting than reiterating how awesome Tommy is ad nauseum.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 7, 2014

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm
Thanks to a four day weekend resulting from the holiday, I was able to get through Samurai/Super Samurai and Megaforce/Super Megaforce pretty quickly.

Samurai/Super Samurai. Maybe it's because it's after RPM, but I just didn't like this season much at all. It took me a little bit of time to figure out things I actually liked about this season. The dialogue was absolutely terrible. I could tell the actors playing the rangers were doing as much as they possibly could to make it seem good, but it was just BAD. Watching interviews with the actors who played the rangers on this season shows just how much they were stunted by their lines. Bulk and Spike were just ... there. It looked like the yellow ranger got the worst of the dialogue, every episode that centered on her character just became unbearable. Alex Heartman gets props for making Jayden appear charismatic despite the bad dialogue. It seemed like the producers could never really decide what they wanted to happen with the sixth ranger, their character arc was all over the place. The monsters would never shut up. The mentor was bland. The blue and pink ranger characters didn't develop at all over the season. The theme song was tolerable. The fully formed zord was out of control.

The few things I liked? The morphing sequence wasn't bad, the purely orchestral fight music was nice when it was used, and the only thing that 'saved' this season from being Operation Overdrive levels of bad was that the twist was pretty good and caught me completely off guard.

Megaforce / Super Megaforce to present
Megaforce was bland, but okay. Maybe I'm being too generous because I saw it right after Samurai. Megaforce wasn't very good, but it also wasn't very bad. This season at least attempted to do *some* things with the characters. I wanted to give the actor playing red ranger the benefit of the doubt and assume that the red ranger is just supposed to be a more stoic personality, but that flew out the window once Megaforce started and he started showing signs of a personality. Jake's unrequited affection for Gia wasn't bad the first few times it was mentioned, but by the end I felt like I was just getting hit over the head with it repeatedly. The number of powers/zords/abilities during Megaforce was out of control. By about halfway through Megaforce I realized it would be pointless to try and figure out who the villains were because they either didn't get developed or got replaced anyway. Robo Knight is an intriguing character at least, not knowing what happens in the Sentai I really hope he/she/it comes back in later episodes. The thing I dislike about Super Megaforce the most is that it doesn't take advantage of the super loving cool ranger suits with the obvious pirate motif. The first few episodes of Megaforce seem to have less dwelling on the villains and more emphasis on plot and character development, which I like. The sixth ranger had one of the better introductions for sixth rangers, I hope their character development doesn't lose steam. The cameo from Samurai just seemed forced and tacked on at the last minute, the Jungle Fury cameo was much better. So far I'd rate Super Megaforce as not too far below average.

Here's my ranking of all the post MMPR seasons now that I've caught up:
1. RPM
2. Time Force
3. Ninja Storm
4. In Space
5. Lightspeed Rescue
6. Jungle Fury
7. SPD
8. Dino Thunder
9. Zeo
10. Mystic Force
11. Lost Galaxy
12.(Super) Megaforce
13. Wild Force - I just could not get into this season
14.(Super) Samurai
15. Turbo
16. Operation Overdrive

Now that that's all done and there's a bit of time before Megaforce comes off of hiatus, are there any Sentai seasons I should watch the translated versions of online? 2-4 different Sentai seasons would probably be enough to keep me occupied.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Go Busters looks like it won't get adapted at all, so give it a watch because it is the best sentai. You may as well also watch Kyruenger and ToQger since they're next, it'll get you up to date.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Now that that's all done and there's a bit of time before Megaforce comes off of hiatus, are there any Sentai seasons I should watch the translated versions of online? 2-4 different Sentai seasons would probably be enough to keep me occupied.

Go-Busters, Dairanger, Jetman.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Depends what you like. Shinkenger, Gekiranger, and Go-Busters are great, but they're also pretty serious shows. If you prefer levity, Go-onger, Kyouryuuger, and Boukenger might scratch that itch.

It's hard to define ToQger so far. It's been light, but now we got our Sixth and there's something going on in the villains' camp, so gently caress knows where this show is going. It might take a Magiranger-ish hard turn into apocalyptic insanity, gently caress knows right now.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Absolutely watch Go-Busters. It's the best.
I would go for Gokaiger too.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Dr Tran posted:

Go-Busters, Dairanger, Jetman.

Yeah, if you like *dark* and serious seasons I would go with these 3. I'd throw Timeranger into that mix as well. And if I had to pick just one to start off with first it would be Jetman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Yeah, if you like *dark* and serious seasons I would go with these 3. I'd throw Timeranger into that mix as well. And if I had to pick just one to start off with first it would be Jetman

OK, gently caress no, those are not dark and serious.

Jetman is melodramatic as gently caress but it is the show where the talking ramen cup that sings and dances FITS loving FINE with all the other lovely monsters that plague it.

Go-Busters gets retooled part way through, and frankly any show that opens with the Red Ranger being terrified of a picture of a chicken is never going to be top 5 of 'most serious'.

Dairanger I don't know enough about but still!

You want a serious Sentai?

Liveman.

Liveman is loving fantastic for that- even the silly things, like the RANDOM ALIENS especially the one who is SO KICKING RAD AND SKATES gets twisted into something very sad and depressing.

Liveman is the Sentai that begins with the murder of the best friends of the team and the core theme is getting revenge on their killers.

Basically watch Liveman.

Unless you want to watch the Best Sentai, Bioman. That's also always the correct choice.