Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Burt Buckle posted:

Monster Trucks aren't a sport, they are Truck Entertainment. Do you watch that stuff? You know it's not real, right?

I think competitive eating also has a masked guy, or maybe somebody with face paint.

Monster Trucks are definitely sports entertainment - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V02d91GkzM0

Tim "Eater X" Janus had an Ultimate Warrior thing going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Was there a transitional period between Steiner v.1 and Big Poppa Pump or did he just show up one day completely transformed? And if the latter, does anyone have a link? I'm curious as to the kind of reaction he got.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Del Raminos posted:

Was there a transitional period between Steiner v.1 and Big Poppa Pump or did he just show up one day completely transformed? And if the latter, does anyone have a link? I'm curious as to the kind of reaction he got.
He turned on his brother, joined the nWo, and came out basically how you see him now except in a singlet instead of shorts. Called himself "white thunder" Scott Steiner. Eventually he dropped the singlet and changed his name to Big Poppa Pump, which he still uses.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Del Raminos posted:

There was transitions. There was Scott with short hair and a goatee that turned on Rick:

Then dyed hair still wearing singlets Steiner:

And then he got the black trunks, the chain mail, and the rest is history.

Efb; but I have pictures!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The singlet version is immortalized in WCW/NWO Revenge

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also watching the Steiners in WWE (which I guess would have been 1995 or so), Scott was loving huge even then.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Look at this guy who's never heard of monster truck star Colt Cobra.
Is he friends with GM Punk?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DeathChicken posted:

Also watching the Steiners in WWE (which I guess would have been 1995 or so), Scott was loving huge even then.

Both the Steiners were always huge (watch some late '80s footage of them), Scott just kind of took it to the extreme.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Who's the worst foreign (outside of Mexico and Japan I guess) wrestler to ever come to the USA to wrestle in WWE? As a kid I LOVED Lord Regal in WCW (one of the best heels ever IMHO) and I don't really remember any guys who were spectacularly bad and also foreign. This probably has to do with the fact that only really good wrestlers from places like the UK end up in the WWE/WCW.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Who's the worst foreign (outside of Mexico and Japan I guess) wrestler to ever come to the USA to wrestle in WWE? As a kid I LOVED Lord Regal in WCW (one of the best heels ever IMHO) and I don't really remember any guys who were spectacularly bad and also foreign. This probably has to do with the fact that only really good wrestlers from places like the UK end up in the WWE/WCW.

Khali? Giant Gonzales?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I had forgotten that Gonzo McFee was obviously not watching RAW or listening to the commentary and was so retarded he was convinced there was even the barest hint of a possibility that Vince McMahon was going to call Barack Obama a negro on the air.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441241&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post396360020
:lol: They're not even pronounced the same. Neg-ro. "Neg" like that dumb thing PUAs do. Rhymes with "egg".

Khali probably takes it. Ezekiel Jackson was also pretty terrible.

I seem to remember Ludvig Borga being kind of poo poo in the ring too, but maybe not notably so.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbrEbWNl39E

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Khali? Giant Gonzales?

gonzales is the correct answer.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

John Cena posted:

Yeah, wow, not even taker can make this guy look good.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, wow, not even taker can make this guy look good.

Tbf Taker really wasn't known for putting on great matches at that point either, but yeah Gonzalez was wretched.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Did Brakus ever make it to TV? I think he was in Brawl for All, but I can't remember anything else with him in between the time his vignettes aired in 1997 and the BFA tourney in 1998.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Did Brakus ever make it to TV? I think he was in Brawl for All, but I can't remember anything else with him in between the time his vignettes aired in 1997 and the BFA tourney in 1998.

He was in ECW for most of that time. He made it back to WWF on the Saturday shows iirc, even got a (UK only) PPV appearance before BFA.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thauros posted:

Tbf Taker really wasn't known for putting on great matches at that point either, but yeah Gonzalez was wretched.
I don't know if Taker gets too much credit because of the quality of his matches in his forties, or too little because he spent so long feuding with guys who were terrible.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I was watching the April 1997 In Your House PPV (first show after Wrestlemania 13), and at one point Vince was talking about Ken Shamrock challenging Mike Tyson to a fight. Were they actually in the process of making a deal with Tyson back then, or was it just a shot-in-the-dark attention grab that they hoped would gain some mainstream traction?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Surely just an attention grab. WWF outpaid WCW for Tyson, but I can't imagine they would have ever had enough money to convince him to do either a real fight against Shamrock who probably would have taken him down and submitted him in a minute, or a worked fight where he may lose.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Surely just an attention grab. WWF outpaid WCW for Tyson, but I can't imagine they would have ever had enough money to convince him to do either a real fight against Shamrock who probably would have taken him down and submitted him in a minute, or a worked fight where he may lose.
There's also the risk in a real fight that Tyson gets lucky and sparks Shamrock the gently caress out, and Shamrock gets Bart Gunned down the card and out of the business.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Minidust posted:

I was watching the April 1997 In Your House PPV (first show after Wrestlemania 13), and at one point Vince was talking about Ken Shamrock challenging Mike Tyson to a fight. Were they actually in the process of making a deal with Tyson back then, or was it just a shot-in-the-dark attention grab that they hoped would gain some mainstream traction?
Vince has always been about cross-promoting a Tyson fight. He even proposed it to Kevin Nash in 1995 (a fight in Central Park or something). I doubt he was actually negotiating anything.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know if Taker gets too much credit because of the quality of his matches in his forties, or too little because he spent so long feuding with guys who were terrible.

Nah, Taker was really, really bad for quite some time there. People usually (and rightly) point to the Bikertaker / Big Evil phase as being a low point in his match quality, but he was awful from about '97 - 2000, too. Granted, he was starting to have knee problems by then, but his brawlfests with Austin in 1998 and 1999 were just plain bad.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Yea I'm watching Raw from the beginning and he was way bigger than I remembered in 1993

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Cromulent posted:

Vince has always been about cross-promoting a Tyson fight. He even proposed it to Kevin Nash in 1995 (a fight in Central Park or something). I doubt he was actually negotiating anything.

You mean there was a chance we could have seen Big Daddy Cool no-sell an Iron Mile punch? We live in the worst of all possible worlds.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

John Cena posted:

What Gonzales did can barely be called wrestling. It's like slow motion stage fighting.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I have never liked the Undertaker and I am not ashamed to admit it :colbert:

I'm not a big fan of Kane either, but I'll pretty much side with Kane on being the 'better' wrestler any day.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

I have never liked the Undertaker and I am not ashamed to admit it :colbert:

I'm not a big fan of Kane either, but I'll pretty much side with Kane on being the 'better' wrestler any day.

This is crazy talk. Undertaker has had absolutely great matches with the right opponents, the closest Kane has ever come is "that was pretty good for Kane I guess."

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

sticklefifer posted:

:lol: They're not even pronounced the same. Neg-ro. "Neg" like that dumb thing PUAs do. Rhymes with "egg".

Yeah, it was a really awesome way to tell which people were just reading recaps and trying to score Oppression Olympics points for about three weeks.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Timby posted:

Nah, Taker was really, really bad for quite some time there. People usually (and rightly) point to the Bikertaker / Big Evil phase as being a low point in his match quality, but he was awful from about '97 - 2000, too. Granted, he was starting to have knee problems by then, but his brawlfests with Austin in 1998 and 1999 were just plain bad.

I agree with you about the Austin series with the exception of SummerSlam 98. I love that match.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kane's only good matches are against Daniel Bryan and Chris Benoit. I can understand someone hating Undertaker for 2000-2003 and parts of 2004 though. His style doesn't lend itself well to carrying anyone, either.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I've been watching a lot of early to mid 90's WWF and it is clear they have no idea how to use Undertaker. Just so many Goddamn storylines involving Undertaker losing the urn and fighting guys that even Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels would have a hard time making look good. Undertaker had some great matches during that time but with who else but Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, and Mick Foley.

It seems tough to book for a large dominate babyface. Put him against a bigger or similar sized opponent and you don't play to his strengths. Put him against a smaller heel and you risk either the heel starting to get cheered for being an underdog or your big guy looking weak for selling too much offense from a smaller guy.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Undertaker was booked in a vacuum for most of 1992-1996. Occasionally he'd cross over with other stars and go in to title fights, but usually he'd just have his own program with the monster of the month.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Undertaker got really good towards the end of his career, but his retirement match with Lesnar was uglier than one of those black woman's vaginas that looks like a Philippe's French Dip sandwich after it's been sitting out in a car for about 4 hours, then brought into the arena and chokeslammed through the announce table.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

bartok posted:

I've been watching a lot of early to mid 90's WWF and it is clear they have no idea how to use Undertaker. Just so many Goddamn storylines involving Undertaker losing the urn and fighting guys that even Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels would have a hard time making look good. Undertaker had some great matches during that time but with who else but Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, and Mick Foley.

It seems tough to book for a large dominate babyface. Put him against a bigger or similar sized opponent and you don't play to his strengths. Put him against a smaller heel and you risk either the heel starting to get cheered for being an underdog or your big guy looking weak for selling too much offense from a smaller guy.

I started with the first episode of Raw and just finished Summerslam '93, so I just saw his Rest in Peace match with Giant Gonzales. There's a Wrestlecrap article just for this match, but I was actually sort of impressed—because it wasn't as bad as his other big match with Giant Gonzales.

Even having only seen mediocre (and worse) Undertaker matches, though, I don't dislike him yet. His gimmick is really entertaining, and all of his signature moves look great. That must count for a lot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Goddam I am so loving hungry right now.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Undertaker got really good towards the end of his career, but his retirement match with Lesnar was uglier than one of those black woman's vaginas that looks like a Philippe's French Dip sandwich after it's been sitting out in a car for about 4 hours, then brought into the arena and chokeslammed through the announce table.

oldpainless posted:

Goddam I am so loving hungry right now.

I'm not sure which one of these posts is more :stare:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

What the gently caress, dude?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

What the gently caress, dude?

Eh, beats hot dog talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon