Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Muffinpox posted:

If the Fiat Miata sounds like the 500 Abarth I will buy one in a heartbeat.

Yes, yes yes. Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Friar Zucchini posted:

I"m not creative enough to come up with a more sheepy, Ram-y name for a Raptor killer. Seriously, if they're gonna put it in a truck they oughta give it like 15 inches of wheel travel. Or a Grand Cherokee Tomahawk or some poo poo.

They already call their stripper ram the black express. Black cat honestly works.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Hellcharger is on the prowl.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Haha, I wonder if you can get the police package with Hellcat engine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

Haha, I wonder if you can get the police package with Hellcat engine.

The new Mad Max movie will just be him tooling around in a stock Hellcharger with a dealer sticker in the window.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Found another new car this morning I hadn't heard about.
BMW eDrive i3

baram. fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 8, 2014

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Yeah, it's a hideous little thing. Looks better in pictures. I saw one today, the driver wouldn't stop for me at the crosswalk. So a typical BMW owner then (kidding).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Yeah, but there were several (dumb) things at play. First was that nothing could be faster than the flagship: the RX-8.

Except that weren't the MS3 and MS6 faster than the RX8, at least in a straight line? They weren't that much heavier, they had at least 20 horsepower on the Renesis, and a hell of a lot more torque.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The MS3 is faster than the RX-8, just straight up. It might not invoke the most jinba of ittais, but it is faster.

Put the DISI into the MX-5? Looks like you just killed the RX-8 since they both share the same platform. Shave off a few hundred lbs and have more power/torque. I don't disagree that they missed the boat on it, but Mazda seemed to be dedicated to the rotary (almost tanking the company twice).

That said, we can always dream of the Mazda that's in our hearts and the alternate history fanfiction where the DISI was in the NC. I mean, poo poo, the MS3's MSRP is cheaper than a base NC. The R3 retailed for $33k. Whyyyyyyyy Mazda? Whyyyyyyyy? :qq:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm already holding off on any car purchases until the details about the ND drop. I hate to sound like the "lol miata underpowered" people, because I loved the poo poo out of my NA, but if Mazda gets over themselves a little bit and puts some more nuts in the ND's sack then I will be all over it. Doesn't need to be anything crazy, but for like 200-230hp in a car that size/weight I'll be one of the first in line.

I want to love the RX series, but every time Mazda tries to do an RX car it almost destroys the company. I'm fine with them holding off on the RX line until the company gets more stable, especially if it means not holding back their other cars.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Well if we're posting Mazda fan fiction, given the Fiat partnership maybe we'll get an MX-5 with a Mazda chassis and an SRT engine!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Well if we're posting Mazda fan fiction, given the Fiat partnership maybe we'll get an MX-5 with a Mazda chassis and an SRT engine!

The Hellmiata

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Kenshin posted:

The Hellmiata

The 2017 Mazda Motherfucker

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So a Hellcharger will cost me what, the price of two Fiatas? Seems like a bargain more then twice the weight and 5 times the HP and torques.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The 2017 Mazda Motherfucker

Please, this

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Baram posted:

Found another new car this morning I hadn't heard about.
BMW eDrive i3

Fuckin' ugly they may be, but a carbon shell at an average-consumer price point and the power & weight of an E30 325i isn't bad for something that is practically free to run.

Problem over here is it's more expensive than an M135i!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Obvious answer here is a rotary Miata

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Well if you're going to take a trip down Fantasy Lane why not skip the lovely rotary altogether and pretend that Mazda's been delaying the ND while they await shipment of thousands of LS3 crate motors.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah but what does that do to weight balance? Or does it just not matter because POOWWWEEEERRRRRR?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Friar Zucchini posted:

Yeah but what does that do to weight balance? Or does it just not matter because POOWWWEEEERRRRRR?

The big secret is that the ND will be mid-engined.

Longitudinal mid-engined, so the driver wil have to sit between the front wheels.

E: v The engine isn't much heavier than, say, a BP, it's the transmission beefy enough to handle the torque that's the issue.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 9, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Friar Zucchini posted:

LS3 is quite light and small, especially compared to, say, a DOHC + turbo plumbing like others want...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

InitialDave posted:

Fuckin' ugly they may be, but a carbon shell at an average-consumer price point and the power & weight of an E30 325i isn't bad for something that is practically free to run.

Problem over here is it's more expensive than an M135i!

Really nice use of materials in the cabin, too.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

LS3 is quite light and small, especially compared to, say, a DOHC + turbo plumbing like others want...

Yeah, the LS3 is more than ample proof that GM has some serious engineering firepower on staff. To make that much power from such a compact and light engine, and do it with utter reliability? Wizardry, man. If GMs engineers weren't continually hampered by such lovely management and ridiculous bean counting bullshit, they'd easily be plowing every other manufacturer into the ground with a never ending stampede of amazing poo poo.

Instead we get lovely ads comparing trucks to subs, Cadillac ads insinuating that Cadillac drivers have no time for their families, and the largest recall campaign on the planet.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yeah, the LS3 is more than ample proof that GM has some serious engineering firepower on staff. To make that much power from such a compact and light engine, and do it with utter reliability? Wizardry, man. If GMs engineers weren't continually hampered by such lovely management and ridiculous bean counting bullshit, they'd easily be plowing every other manufacturer into the ground with a never ending stampede of amazing poo poo.

Instead we get lovely ads comparing trucks to subs, Cadillac ads insinuating that Cadillac drivers have no time for their families, and the largest recall campaign on the planet.

How can management/executives be the problem? those who are paid a lot are always really good at their jobs and deserve every penny. This is what most of the country swore up and down when GM was going through its bailouts. Those drat Union Pieces of poo poo were probably sabotaging their own ignitions and ad campaigns and demanding their company push all their money into SUVs

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

coolskillrex remix posted:

How can management/executives be the problem? those who are paid a lot are always really good at their jobs and deserve every penny. This is what most of the country swore up and down when GM was going through its bailouts. Those drat Union Pieces of poo poo were probably sabotaging their own ignitions and ad campaigns and demanding their company push all their money into SUVs

At GM, you fail upwards. :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Wheeee posted:

Well if you're going to take a trip down Fantasy Lane why not skip the lovely rotary altogether and pretend that Mazda's been delaying the ND while they await shipment of thousands of LS3 crate motors.

How dare you

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
While on the topic of engines, it seems that MB is actually going back to an inline 6 for their RWD cars.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/mercedes-benz-straight-six-to-make-a-comeback-on-e-class-sl-class-c-class-83484.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Throatwarbler posted:

While on the topic of engines, it seems that MB is actually going back to an inline 6 for their RWD cars.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/mercedes-benz-straight-six-to-make-a-comeback-on-e-class-sl-class-c-class-83484.html

Holy poo poo I have a hard on. Love me straight sixes. This is great news in an era where packaging in the engine bay has forced the death of the straight six for most makes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I guess Merc needed an excuse to make their cars' noses even longer.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

The Mercedes naming scheme confuses the poo poo out of me, I feel like I'm reading about uranium or something. c250, or an s550? Or what about an e300? A cls400? Who knows

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Mustang? What am I driving, a horse?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yeah, the LS3 is more than ample proof that GM has some serious engineering firepower on staff. To make that much power from such a compact and light engine, and do it with utter reliability?

The biggest disappointment about the ls3 and something that made me not look at the c6 was that the ls3 to my understanding has major high cornering force oiling issues. My understanding is running DOT-Rs on a LS3 with out a aftermarket dry sump is a death warrant on a track.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The LS1, 2, and 6 all have the same issue.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sadi posted:

The biggest disappointment about the ls3 and something that made me not look at the c6 was that the ls3 to my understanding has major high cornering force oiling issues. My understanding is running DOT-Rs on a LS3 with out a aftermarket dry sump is a death warrant on a track.

Doesn't the Z06 have a dry sump? I'd assume that GM's dry sump solution would be able to solve that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Doesn't the Z06 have a dry sump? I'd assume that GM's dry sump solution would be able to solve that.

It sure does, as does the LS9, I think the LSA, and maaaaaybe the LS3 with the Grand Sport package.

The stock pan is not a bad setup, it's got a windage tray and everything... but any engine with stock oiling at continued 1G+ loads is going to have problems.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob NewSCART posted:

The Mercedes naming scheme confuses the poo poo out of me, I feel like I'm reading about uranium or something. c250, or an s550? Or what about an e300? A cls400? Who knows

Infiniti is worse. Hope you fuckin' like the letter Q!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, with mercedes, letters = class number = ballpark engine size.

infiniti Q = has 4 wheels
number = who the gently caress knows

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Bob NewSCART posted:

Maybe you are kidding and the joke is over my head but the Mercedes naming scheme is pretty literal. The first letter is the model, the number is the trim level. It used to match engine displacement but that isn't always true now. E350 is an e-class with a 3.5 liter, E550 with a 5.5, etc.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Midniter posted:

Infiniti is worse. Hope you fuckin' like the letter Q!

Powershift posted:

Yeah, with mercedes, letters = class number = ballpark engine size.

infiniti Q = has 4 wheels
number = who the gently caress knows
Audi's almost the same (hope you like the letter A) and no one seems to complain about that

With Audi it's
A = car
Q = suv
bigger number = higher model

With Infiniti it's:
Q = car
QX = suv

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Audi's almost the same (hope you like the letter A) and no one seems to complain about that

With Audi it's
A = car
Q = suv

With Infiniti it's:
Q = car
QX = suv

But audi also has the S which means bigger engine, and RS which means biggerer engine.

So you know A3 = small car, small engine, S3 = small car, big engine A6 = big car, small engine, S6 = big car, big engine.