Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's Hungrybox, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sarchasm posted:

It's not PR Rog, that's some Smash player. As I recall he thought the set was three out of five and was really upset when it turned out to be two out of three and he had already lost.

So which was the guy upset? The guy standing or the one that stayed sitting? Also thhhaaaattt sucks hahahaha.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

The guy sitting was Hungrybox, the one who lost, but it was winner's finals so both players thought it was 3/5 until the organizer walked over and told them.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Jiro posted:

So which was the guy upset? The guy standing or the one that stayed sitting? Also thhhaaaattt sucks hahahaha.

The guy who stands up is the winner, and he's not upset about poo poo because he just won a top eight EVO match. In one of those gifs you see him raise his hands in victory.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

Has KI been pretty successful as a fighting game amongst FG players?

There seem to be a fair amount of videos and it seems to be lasting longer than MK9 did, despite having so few characters right now.
MK9 had 120+ entrants at its first CEO appearance in 2011, whereas KI this year had only 49. This isn't an isolated case, either; KI has been consistently drawing low numbers at every major. MK9's time may be over now but it had a much stronger tournament scene than KI currently does.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Since this is technically a 360 event should I bother bringing my ps3 for the byoc area? Me and my buddy kinda want to play but it'll be weird if no one else is able to hop in.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fruitsnacks posted:

MK9 had 120+ entrants at its first CEO appearance in 2011, whereas KI this year had only 49. This isn't an isolated case, either; KI has been consistently drawing low numbers at every major. MK9's time may be over now but it had a much stronger tournament scene than KI currently does.

So what is the issue with KI? Is it just not considered a good fighting game by the majority of the FGC or is it still getting hated on because it's XBone exclusive?

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

vibratingsheep posted:

This is a quick guide to notable/recognizable players in BBCP pools, which has a notable NorCal bias since we were the ones who made this guide. I've filled in region and character as best I can.

I1-??
A little bit late, but I1 contains Murishin, a fairly strong but not nationally-notable Japanese Jin player, and Thearm, whose name I recognize which means he probably has some achievement somewhere.

It's also my pool, RIP me.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

TaurusOxford posted:

So what is the issue with KI? Is it just not considered a good fighting game by the majority of the FGC or is it still getting hated on because it's XBone exclusive?

Being an XBone exclusive pretty much cuts its potential playerbase in half.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

To be honest I don't think people hate KI because it's XB1 exclusive, but the exclusivity certainly limits the number of people who can access the game.

KI being ugly as sin probably doesn't help either.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

haha wrong thread

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Mr. Pumroy posted:

what's this

what is this

what is this thread

It's a fighting game thing. Don't worry about it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Does anyone have a link to the pools? I might be blind but I don't see it.

e: nevermind http://evo2014.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/index.html

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 10, 2014

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I updated the second post in this thread with a TON of information on side games and extra streams, along with likely after-hours streams.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Fruitsnacks posted:

Is KI just bad or is it simply low adoption because it's on a next gen console, an exclusive, and only has like 5 characters right now?

I have only played it a little but I liked it more than MK9 and I loved MK9.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's mainly being an Xbone exclusive, especially since it was 100 bucks more than a PS4. Maybe next year it'll post better numbers with Season 2 and the Xbone being cheaper, but console limitation is the main reason.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

It's also a bad game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's also a bad game.
So's street fighter 4.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

SF4 is pretty good, KI is a glorified RPS simulator and it doesn't even have the "fun to watch" thing going for it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
KI's hard to visually parse due to terrible art direction, the sound design is terrible, and the game is based around stacking a shitload of unnecessary mechanics on top of a fighting game. It's one of those games where there were a bunch of people going "Hey wouldn't it be cool if THIS was in the game?" and nobody said no or asked how any of that stuff actually contributes.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Wednesday Night Fights pre-Evo edition has 142 people for Ultra including Smug, Zeus, Nuckledu, Lee Chung, and Damdai.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive
Bracket http://levelup.challonge.com/wnfae_2014_evo_usf4

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

iPodschun posted:

Wednesday Night Fights pre-Evo edition has 142 people for Ultra including Smug, Zeus, Nuckledu, Lee Chung, and Damdai.

There's a fuckton of people there tonight holy poo poo.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Well, so much for Smug making Top 32 at Evo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

iPodschun posted:

Snap, this poo poo is going on right now? Fuckers are nuts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

140+ people, 12 set-ups.

On a Smug note, apparently he doesn't know how to option select?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Watching Kbrad's Cammy makes me wish I could play like him. It looks so fun when he plays, haha.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

Tae posted:

140+ people, 12 set-ups.

He lost to Chris King and Chris G.

Twitch chat is not being kind to him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If none of the East coast make top 8 tonight, it might be the dark truth that West Coast is too much better.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It was the day before Evo, and all through the community, not a single soul was stirring, not even a Marn. The saltshakers were hung from the chimney with care, for tier whoring and blow ups were soon to be there.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Tae posted:

140+ people, 12 set-ups.

Watch his Nishikin match from CEO and rethink what you just said. Dudley doesn't have much safejump/OS stuff for various reasons though, his buttons/game plan just aren't suited for it. Also Chris G and King are really scary to meet in tournament, don't listen to Twitch chat.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Gologle posted:

It was the day before Evo, and all through the community, not a single soul was stirring, not even a Marn. The saltshakers were hung from the chimney with care, for tier whoring and blow ups were soon to be there.

The spectators were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of upsets danced in their heads.
When out in the lobby there arose such a clatter,
They sprang from their beds to see what was the matter.

Away to the lot they flew like Magneto,
Tearing through the crowds with a Marvelous Combo.
When what did their wondering eyes saw there,
But a miniature podium and 8 high-class players.

With a little old man so prudent and shrill,
They knew in a moment it must be S-Kill.
More rapid than Vergil his champions they came,
And he whistled and shouted and called them by name:

"Now, Daigo! Now, Balrog! Now, JWong and Nuki!
On, ChrisG! On, Tokido! On, Sako and Haitani!
To the top of the screen! To the corner of the wall!
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!"

And they heard him exclaim in conjunction with Yipes,
"Merry EVO to all, and to all: GET HYPED!"

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 10, 2014

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Im drunk at evo
Betting lots of grands on craps
I hope chris G wins

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

the sound design is terrible
I don't have to consider any of your opinions on any subject ever again.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I can't tell you whether Killer Instinct is a good game or not, but I love that announcer.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I'm just hoping for an Elena to make it to top 16 so I can cheer that person on...only to have them switch to someone good.

Also hype for TTT2 even though it will get 130 viewers max.

Woden
May 6, 2006
TTT2 had some awesome finals last year, so I'll be watching.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I wonder how disgusting my eating habits are going to be this weekend. Probably pretty disgusting considering the fact that I'm planning on buying a handle of gin and two liters of ginger ale.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm just buying a watermelon. You don't have to eat the most greasy, unhealthy substances known to man to still enjoy something filling and quick.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Gologle posted:

I'm just buying a watermelon. You don't have to eat the most greasy, unhealthy substances known to man to still enjoy something filling and quick.

I have actually been eating watermelon for about a week now.

I should blend up some watermelon, gin and soda water. Sounds magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.
I have cleared my schedule for the weekend and loaded up on beer. Bring on EVO!

• Locked thread