Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

OptimusShr posted:

The Gameboy Kid Icarus fixed most of the problems of the NES game so I would say that if you didn't like of Myths and Monsters stay away.

Well my main problem was I got to a maze level and didn't know where the hell to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Justin_Brett posted:

Well my main problem was I got to a maze level and didn't know where the hell to go.

Try breaking statues in the rooms near the entrance- you'll find a map (it'll show up on your inventory screen), a pencil (which marks rooms you've been to) and a torch (shows which room you're in). It won't tell you where to go, but it'll make the maze a lot more navigable.

Though honestly, I recently replayed Of Myths and Monsters and didn't have any trouble with those levels, but I'm used to finding my way around Castlevania games, so whatever spatial skills are involved in that, I've already got 'em.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Good news. I bought Chibi Robo so me and my nephew would have something stupid to do while I was watching him. The butt on cans that they censored in the American version is back! :v:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I've been trying to redeem coins for that Metal Torrent game on Club Nintendo for the past 2.5 days, and every time it eventually comes up with "something went wrong but your coins are safe with Wario." Is redeeming coins just hosed for everyone or is this something to be concerned about?

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
It seems Nintendo's servers are being real slow recently. It may have to do with the maintenance they've been doing, but I do know people have been having trouble with downloading the latest 3DS update, and uploading MK8 videos is taking longer than usual for me, so it's not just you.

edit: Another Sega 3D Classic for Japan, Fantasy Zone 2.

Champeenship fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 9, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I finally decided to try the Club Nintendo reward redemption in a different browser (my usual is Chrome) and it worked just fine first time. Of course, now that I got it to work, I'm getting a message on the 3DS eShop that it's down for maintenance again, so I guess I just can't win with this poo poo at the moment.

Edit: As for Chrome, I did have a reboot between attempts, but I didn't think about clearing the cache, so maybe that's the problem on my end.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Champeenship posted:

It seems Nintendo's servers are being real slow recently. It may have to do with the maintenance they've been doing, but I do know people have been having trouble with downloading the latest 3DS update, and uploading MK8 videos is taking longer than usual for me, so it's not just you.

edit: Another Sega 3D Classic for Japan, Fantasy Zone 2.

So wait, they put up two Fantasy Zone games for this wave? That's sort of... confusing.

I notice they put up Revenge of Shinobi. We never got that one stateside did we?

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So wait, they put up two Fantasy Zone games for this wave? That's sort of... confusing.

I notice they put up Revenge of Shinobi. We never got that one stateside did we?

It's Shinobi III that is there (called The Super Shinobi II in Japan). And we did get it. We got all the ones there except the first 4 listed, which are the wave 2 ones.

I am kind of surprised by them so far. After Burner II is a lot like Galaxy Force II, Out Run is a lot like Super Hang-On. And now... Fantasy Zone II is a lot like Fantasy Zone.

I hope they at least continue this trend and give us Sonic 2.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I really hope we do get Sonic 2 this wave, and in their going the extra mile they do with these games that they include that level or zone that was added in the latest rerelease of that game by that one guy that did the Sonic CD remake.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A little background info on Fantasy Zone 2: the original game was exclusive to the Sega Master System, but M2 remade the game as an authentic System-16 arcade game for the SEGA AGES Fantasy Zone Collection on PS2, and now they're porting that to 3DS with an new and exclusive second mode, because they're just that cool.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Aren't they also porting the SMS version in as an option as well? I've seen whispers of that being a thing across the internet.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A little background info on Fantasy Zone 2: the original game was exclusive to the Sega Master System, but M2 remade the game as an authentic System-16 arcade game for the SEGA AGES Fantasy Zone Collection on PS2, and now they're porting that to 3DS with an new and exclusive second mode, because they're just that cool.

Okay, I take back my disappointment slightly then. That's pretty insane.

I guess I should be used to "insane" from these guys by now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Already posted in the 3DS thread but I might as well post it here too: the minigames from Kirby Triple Deluxe are coming to the 3DS eShop as expanded standalone games!

The JP websites are up for both Kirby games, here's what I'm seeing:

Kirby Fighters Z ( http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/jvxj/index.html) - same 10 copy powers, plus 2 exclusive copy powers for those who own Kirby TD (Beetle/Bell). Five new stages with new items, plus one stage exclusive to Kirby TD owners. New single-player mode with boss battles and unlocks for beating it on each difficulty (new skins for each hat, Shadow Kirby skin). Team Battle mode lets you share health with your teammates a la Return to Dreamland. Still local-only.

Dedede Drum Dash Z ( http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/jvqj/index.html ) - 7 new stages, plus a harder remix of each stage. Lots of new stage gimmicks and collectibles. There are trophies as well as medals, they just seem to be achievement or something, not sure. Unlockable masks based on different Kirby characters; owning Kirby TD unlocks the Kirby/Meta Knight/Waddle Dee masks.

They'll both be released on July 23 in Japan, 750yen each. The websites also specify that Kirby TD owners need to have Streetpass enabled in order to unlock the bonuses for each game, kinda weird.

Crawfish posted:

Aren't they also porting the SMS version in as an option as well? I've seen whispers of that being a thing across the internet.

If they are, they're not talking about it just yet. They recreated some of the SMS-exclusive content in 3D Fantasy Zone without telling anyone, though, so it might happen. (They even added an option that let you use new retouched graphics for the SMS stuff that made it look nicer in 3D.)

EDIT: Game Watch confirmed the original SMS version isn't included. I think people were confused by the "Double" in the title, which just refers to the second mode they've added to the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 9, 2014

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Bah. Come on Nintendo. It's 2014, you can do internet multiplayer now, it's a thing. A pretty big thing, actually.

This little side game, expanded upon, could be great fun but with no one to play it with...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of July 10):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Wii Karaoke U by JOYSOUND: 2-hour Ticket - €2.99 / Ł2.69
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Pop'n Twinbee (SNES) - €7.99 / Ł5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario Kart 8/Club Nintendo digital promotion - register MK8 on Club Nintendo before July 31, get a free digital game! (info)
    Pullblox World promotion (Wii U) - own Pullblox or Fallblox for 3DS, get 30% off Pullblox World for Wii U! Ends July 31.]
    NES Remix (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / Ł6.29 for people who own NES Remix 2, ends July 24
    NES Remix 2 (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / Ł6.29 for people who own NES Remix, ends July 24

3DS eSHOP
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Pokemon Trading Card Game (GBC) - €4.99 / Ł4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    StreetPass Mii Plaza (3DS)- combo pack €9.99 / Ł8.99, individual games €3.99 / Ł3.59 until July 13
    Nintendo Pocket Football Club (3DS eShop) - €11.79 / Ł10.79 until July 13
    Football Up! 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.74 / Ł1.49 until July 17
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / Ł5.39 until July 17
    Inazuma Eleven (3DS eShop) - 89.99 until July 17
    Doodle Jump Adventures (3DS) - €12.99 / Ł29.99 until July 17
    Tappingo (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / Ł1.69 until July 17
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / Ł4.25 until July 24

NA update (week of July 3):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    The Letter - $1.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Bases Loaded (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario Kart 8/Club Nintendo digital promotion - register MK8 on Club Nintendo before July 31, get a free digital game! (info)
    I've Got to Run! (Wii U eShop) - $1.19 from July 11-13

3DS eSHOP
    Me and My Pets 3D - $19.99
    Rabi Laby 3 - $4.99
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Bases Loaded (NES) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Soccer Up! 3D (3DS eShop) - $2.99 until July 16
    Inazuma Eleven (3DS) - $9.99 until July 16
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - $14.99 until July 21
    Etrian Odyssey Untold (3DS) - $14.99 until July 21
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until July 24
    Disney's Frozen: Olaf's Quest (3DS) - $19.99 until July 31
    Swords & Soldiers 3D (3DS eShop) - $3.99 until July 31
    Witch & Hero (3DS eShop) - $2.79 until July 31
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    3D Classics Kid Icarus (3DS eShop) - 200 Coins, available until August 3
    Donkey Kong Jr. (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until August 3
    Metal Torrent (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until August 3
    Paper Mario (Wii VC) - 250 Coins, available until August 3

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

I never played the video game version of Pokémon TCG. Wasn't it some sort of an underappreciated gem like Mario Golf?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nintendoooooo where is my Pokemon TCG game :argh:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Hungry Bit posted:

I never played the video game version of Pokémon TCG. Wasn't it some sort of an underappreciated gem like Mario Golf?

Nah it was pretty poo poo

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

bpc908 posted:

Nah it was pretty poo poo

I was a fan of the card game as a kid and I enjoyed it. It's not as good as the main series but it's a fun time waster.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
It's awesome and has good music and has a surprisingly good UI for a GameBoy TCG.

Also

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Etrian Odyssey 4, or Untold?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Bottom Liner posted:

Etrian Odyssey 4, or Untold?

Do you like difficult dungeon crawlers with lots of freedom and strategic possibility? Etrian Odyssey 4.

Do you like bad anime? Untold.

That's not entirely fair--Untold has a "classic" option that eliminates its awful story and prefab characters and gives you most of the same options as EO4, but EO4 still has more (and more interesting) options available for party composition and such. I say stick with EO4. If you want a generic JRPG experience you can get that elsewhere, and done better than Untold.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Medium Cool posted:

I was a fan of the card game as a kid and I enjoyed it. It's not as good as the main series but it's a fun time waster.

Yeah, I remember liking it too. How do they decide what games on the VC they bring to what regions anyways? Can it be any more effort to throw it up on the NA store?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Wii U VC release schedule has made me realize that there were a lot more NES sports games than I thought.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Is Metal Torrent any good? Thinking of grabbing it with my coins, but it's really hard to make a good shmup, so I'm worried that it's garbage.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Sarchasm posted:

Do you like difficult dungeon crawlers with lots of freedom and strategic possibility? Etrian Odyssey 4.

Do you like bad anime? Untold.

That's not entirely fair--Untold has a "classic" option that eliminates its awful story and prefab characters and gives you most of the same options as EO4, but EO4 still has more (and more interesting) options available for party composition and such. I say stick with EO4. If you want a generic JRPG experience you can get that elsewhere, and done better than Untold.

Tossing in another EO4 over Untold vote for pretty much the same reasons. I haven't played Untold's Story mode, but I found EO4 much more interesting, better paced, and the ability to explore an overworld is a nice touch if you want to play it but take a break from grinding.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Is Metal Torrent any good? Thinking of grabbing it with my coins, but it's really hard to make a good shmup, so I'm worried that it's garbage.

I picked it up with coins and played through a bit, and I'd say it's pretty okay for the price of coins, maybe not for actual dollars though.

The game has two difficulties, basically, which are tied to the abilities of the two different ships. The ship on normal difficulty has a wider spread for its normal fire (unlike other shmups, you don't collect powerups to increase your normal shots or spread, btw). Its special weapon is basically a shot negating pulse that turns the shots it negates into point cubes. This pulse is tied to a three tiered energy bar and uses approximately 1/6th of the bar per pulse. The bar is refilled by getting point cubes, and if your chain of cubes gets high enough, you can pretty much pulse non-stop because it fills up that fast. Finally, the pulse will go off automatically if your ship is hit, unless you have too little energy in the gauge, at which point your ship dies. Edit: I forgot to mention that the pulse special weapon also seems to hit all enemies on screen, as well.

The harder difficulty ship has a slightly smaller spread on its normal weapon. It might be just a hair slower, too? It was tough to tell. Its special weapon is two things in one: a shot slowing field near the ship and a laser that only fires straight ahead. The laser can be fired at all times, but the shot slowing field only works if you have sufficient energy in the gauge. The shots of any enemy killed by the laser become point cubes, but using the laser also slows your own movement down considerably, so it feels like you have to juggle between normal shots and just a quick pulse of the laser to kill things for optimal effect.

The game has a Pattern Mode and Random Mode, both of which consist of 8 waves with 3 bosses (after the 2nd, 5th, and 8th waves). Pattern Mode is the same every time, I guess, so it's there for people to optimize for max points on the now defunct online leaderboards I guess.

Anyway, that's really about it. Like I said at the start, I wouldn't pay actual money for the game even if I were a hardcore shmup fan, but for 200 coins it seems like a decent enough time-waster that can be played in quick bursts.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hungry Bit posted:

There is zero reason to play it in 2014 but at the time it was hella cool.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

homeless snail posted:

There is zero reason to play it in 2014 but at the time it was hella cool.

Nostalgia purposes? Wanting to play a pretty good TCG without investing money into the modern format? Wanting to avoid the modern format altogether anyway? There's plenty of reasons to play it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Nostalgia purposes? Wanting to play a pretty good TCG without investing money into the modern format? Wanting to avoid the modern format altogether anyway? There's plenty of reasons to play it.
Playing a bad game for nostalgia purposes is kind of sad, and there are a million ways to play Pokemon TCG without buying cards nowadays.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Might have meant zero reason to play because this exists: http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/

Definitely not my favorite TCG, but I still got a lot of playtime out of playing the free online version.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
My brother and I still have our old rear end Pokemon decks from back in the day, myself with a Rain Dance deck, and him having a Haymaker. Throwing down Professor Oaks one after another and trying to end games in under three turns. Good times. You know a card game is good when it only lasts like five minutes tops.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

homeless snail posted:

Playing a bad game for nostalgia purposes is kind of sad, and there are a million ways to play Pokemon TCG without buying cards nowadays.

It wasn't a bad game though? If playing bad games for fun or nostalgia is sad then you might wanna go close down the LP forum. The free online version is alright, but you really do have to sink some cash into it to have much fun with it.

I'm gonna download it and enjoy it anyway, just wish it had link-up :unsmith:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

homeless snail posted:

It's not a bad game unless you don't like the trading card game itself, if you do then it's a perfectly functional and enjoyable version of that.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I tend to think that Untold's story gets entirely too much hate. It's stock anime to a fault with some cringe worthy scenes. I almost quit early on but as the game progressed I found that story mode enhances what can be a very dry experience. They have a few fun twists on the typical archetypes as well. Don't reject Untold because it's "too anime".

That being said you will want to pick up EO4. Subclassing wasn't a mechanic until the third game. The replacement grimoire system fails to be anything more than grinding RNG.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Doing anything for nostalgia is bad.

I replayed Super Mario Bros 3 last month and it was a very nostalgic experience but the game is still really great. I enjoyed it well beyond the warm and fuzzy feeling of remembering what it's like to be a kid. Playing the NES version of The Rocketeer would likely spark a similar feeling of nostalgia in me but gently caress that.

TEHJOE posted:

Don't reject Untold because it's "too anime".

I don't reject Untold because it's too anime, I reject it because it's bad anime. And not just bad anime, but bad anime that supercedes a lot of the gameplay mechanics that make Etrian Odyssey an interesting game in the first place.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I picked it up with coins and played through a bit, and I'd say it's pretty okay for the price of coins, maybe not for actual dollars though.

Thanks for the writeup! I might check it out.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
Get EO4, but if you want more game go ahead and buy Untold. Untold is a bit of a step back if you go from 4 to it, but ignore Sarchasm's whining about anime that somehow ruins the gameplay, sometimes you read some text and there's a cutscene if you decide to play the "read some text and there's cutscenes" mode.

$15 is a great, great price for both of them anyway, but 4 would be a better starting point.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

katkillad2 posted:

Might have meant zero reason to play because this exists: http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/

Does the online version have a kickass soundtrack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Sudoku posted:

Get EO4, but if you want more game go ahead and buy Untold. Untold is a bit of a step back if you go from 4 to it, but ignore Sarchasm's whining about anime that somehow ruins the gameplay, sometimes you read some text and there's a cutscene if you decide to play the "read some text and there's cutscenes" mode.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but using their prefab characters means you have no control over party composition, which is a big part of what makes Etrian Odyssey interesting. So yes, opting into their awful (awful) story mode obliterates a big chunk of gameplay.

I agree, however, that if you've already played EO4 that Untold makes a decent followup. That said, Persona Q is coming out in a few months and appears to be a similar experience, so you might want to wait on Untold anyway.