Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stoops
Jun 11, 2001

Junkenstein posted:

I'd say that was definitely him flashing back to a moment where he went crazy, and running around naked like a loon would be perfectly understandable for someone whose partner just vanished whilst he was inside her.

I want to believe this, haha, but the running guy doesn't have the tattoo on his back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

stoops posted:

I want to believe this, haha, but the running guy doesn't have the tattoo on his back.

Well, poo poo. Guess I'm wrong then.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I mean that and the guy in the bed was like 20 years younger than the guy running around.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

tadashi posted:

I mean that and the guy in the bed was like 20 years younger than the guy running around.

They probably hadn't cast the father when they filmed that shot of him running around naked, so it's just some generic dude's back instead of a distinct face.

Then again, most of those quick flashbacks are from behind with obscured faces.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
Welp, second episode confirmed how I felt about the first one. This show looks like another John from Cincinnati. Uninteresting characters dealing with unsolvable ***mysteries*** and other uninteresting characters.

Glad he found that bagel though.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Max posted:

They probably hadn't cast the father when they filmed that shot of him running around naked, so it's just some generic dude's back instead of a distinct face.

Then again, most of those quick flashbacks are from behind with obscured faces.

Go back and watch it again. The scene in question is a smash cut right when someone is talking about the father's incident or however they phrased it.

It's the father.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

along the way posted:

Welp, second episode confirmed how I felt about the first one. This show looks like another John from Cincinnati. Uninteresting characters dealing with unsolvable ***mysteries*** and other uninteresting characters.

Glad he found that bagel though.

Never have i seen such a wrong and stupid post

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

lifts cats over head posted:

The show implied that he was having sex when the incident occurred but I don't recall whether or not that woman (whether it was his wife or not) vanished. Also I'm pretty sure that the quick cut shot of the guy running around naked was actually his father so the two events are unrelated.
Looking at it again, he was talking about his father going insane, that was obviously an older man running around all crazy. When it flashes to Kevin himself while he's talking to the parking lot lady, he's having sex. He has tattoos. He might've just been loving his wife, because they didn't really make a conscious effort to make her look drastically different from her to really say otherwise.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

maniacripper posted:

Go back and watch it again. The scene in question is a smash cut right when someone is talking about the father's incident or however they phrased it.

It's the father.

I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying there's confusion because no one saw his face, and since it was the pilot, it's safe to assume he hadn't been cast yet.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Max posted:

I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying there's confusion because no one saw his face, and since it was the pilot, it's safe to assume he hadn't been cast yet.

Yeah well... ohhhh okay sorry :saddowns:

I got caught up in everyone missing completely apparent things and then being mad at how these meaningless questions are making them hate this super sweet television drama.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 11, 2014

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
So is it safe to presume that when the woman who Kevin had sex with disappeared, he felt compelled to report her as a missing person. That report led to his marriage breakdown, i.e. his wife confronted him and when he said well, yeah, someone I was cheating on you with had vanished, she went all sad and depressed. And then she was followed by Patty or her associates and eventually decided to leave Kevin/family for the GR?

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
I've not seen anything by Lindelof before, so bear with me if this question is idiotic. Memory flashbacks both fast and slow in the Leftovers are pretty violent, is it a typical Lindelof thing? I am sure he does it to shock the viewer, the dogs mauling the dear flashbacks were so fast & the sound so harrowing that I felt like I forgot to breath during those moments. gently caress that.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
LOL I hope someone else independently thought Kevin cheated on his wife during the rapture because I think I kinda started that one. I went back to that scene and it might be Laurie, because they obviously didn't try to make that woman (you can't really see her face) not look like Laurie (different hair colour would've been a ringer). If that wasn't the case then Laurie is the extra hosed up one who presumably ran off to the GR in that case. Or something. Kevin might just be concerned he's going insane because his father did, also presumably before the Departure.

Also no, the flashback thing is interesting because Lost did not have them. They were deliberate flashbacks with arcs and everything. I'm guessing Prometheus did not have any flashbacks. I think it's just intentionally brief and violent for whatever reason or tone they want to set. I don't know if Lost-style flashback would work really well with this show, but I argue it could have. But oh well :shrug:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

The show implied that he was having sex when the incident occurred but I don't recall whether or not that woman (whether it was his wife or not) vanished. Also I'm pretty sure that the quick cut shot of the guy running around naked was actually his father so the two events are unrelated.

But if you cum inside someone and they're raptured.. what happens to the cum?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I only approve of the Mysterious Dogman and his lust to kill my wayward brethren. Everything else in this show from the teen-sex-bdsm app party to We Are the Bagels is 100% dumb horseshit.

I'd bet money that absolutely nothing is explained, ever. The plot is going to wade into a giant fog of dreary fartclouds, everyone's going to be a mopey rear end in a top hat who's emotionally retarded and the show's going to draw lazy metaphors with household objects. Here let me predict a future scene: Oh no I dropped the bar of soap and now I'm uncontrollably crying and punching the tiles because the soap represents my wife, it's all white like the clothes she wears and my dropping it is my losing her and the shower is steamy and the steam is like the smoke from her cigarefffffffffffffffuck this show.

Why AV Club rates this highly is beyond me.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

the posted:

But if you cum inside someone and they're raptured.. what happens to the cum?

Same as if you squat over them and drop a deuce on their chest and they raptured I would imagine.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
You guys, what if not knowing the cause/explanation of the not-rapture intentionally puts us in the same frame of mind as the characters - the unsettled feeling of unanswered questions that makes you doubt your scientific and/or religious beliefs.

Why would anyone even think this show would explain the not-rapture? Why do people automatically think this show is Lost 2.0?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

It's only been 2 episodes jesus christ calm down

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Eukodol posted:

Same as if you squat over them and drop a deuce on their chest and they raptured I would imagine.

Having a PhD in raptureology I can confirm this, in my expert opinion, to be the case.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

It's only been 2 episodes jesus christ calm down

Also this.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

frenchnewwave posted:

You guys, what if not knowing the cause/explanation of the not-rapture intentionally puts us in the same frame of mind as the characters

It didn't, because the characters are unsympathetic sad-sacks with nebulous motives who behave ~mysteriously~ and/or like idiots.

Liv Tyler, for example, became a lumberjack in the second episode. It took its entire run of eight seasons for Dexter to become that silly.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

True Detective and Fargo have ruined me. I'm digging this show, but to hear that it's not a limited-run series with a set ending... uuuugghhhh.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So is the guy that is hunting the dogs actually real, or is he a figment of Kevin's mind?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Zotix posted:

So is the guy that is hunting the dogs actually real, or is he a figment of Kevin's mind?

Well, his daughter and his daughter's friend interacted with the dogman, so unless the show is pulling a Fight Club and he's straight-up imagining poo poo to cover for his imagined poo poo, I'd say dogman is real.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
This probably came up in this thread but I just started watching and skipped to the last few pages but:

When Kevin is talking to the dogman he's wearing a shirt with the acronym MPD (multiple personality disorder) which of course stands for Mapletown or whatever Police Department. I pretty sure that's a red herring but I thought it was a neat "clue".

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fateo McMurray posted:

Doesn't mean he was looking at her

I checked: he isn't looking at her, they're in Missionary and his head is over her shoulder in the pillow. She vanishes and he drops onto the now empty bed.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

frenchnewwave posted:

You guys, what if not knowing the cause/explanation of the not-rapture intentionally puts us in the same frame of mind as the characters - the unsettled feeling of unanswered questions that makes you doubt your scientific and/or religious beliefs.

I hate it when people say this, "science" is not a believe system and even such an event doesn't change what science is about.
Besides that is a "not-rapture" not needed for the stories we have seen so far. To me it seems like the show wants to have its cake and eat it too (having a mystery but not really wanting to explore it and if that's the case then you better get rid off it in the first place because it's only a distraction).

quote:

Why would anyone even think this show would explain the not-rapture? Why do people automatically think this show is Lost 2.0?

I don't think that but I can understand why the average viewer would think so. Like I said, why introduce a mystery if you won't want to explore it further. This way it's just a lazy tool for writers to have their drama and maybe that COULD be okay if the drama would actually be interesting or show us some good stories.
People probably wish it would be Lost 2.0 but not because of LOST's mystery, it's the great characters/stories that made Lost an entertaining show and the mystery was just the catalyst for it. There were for sure a lot of people who obsessed over the mysteries but to me it seems like this part of the show gets overrated on SA.com/the internet and so many around here simply watched Lost for the wrong reasons which doesn't surprise me too much but should be pointed out.
The Leftovers would actually benefit from a focus on the mystery because so far the rest doesn't really convince me and I fail to see where this show is going if they don't explore the mystery despite retreading old ground over and over again.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

frenchnewwave posted:

You guys, what if not knowing the cause/explanation of the not-rapture intentionally puts us in the same frame of mind as the characters

The characters are all bored as hell and waiting for something (anything) to happen too? :rimshot:

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

LinkesAuge posted:

I hate it when people say this, "science" is not a believe system and even such an event doesn't change what science is about.

Oh come on, you're getting hung up on how I worded that phrase. It's an event that can't be explained by physics or religion and therefore people are in crisis.

But, like, don't watch the show if you don't like it? I am intrigued enough to watch another episode, especially because Eccleston.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
The police chief was found standing over a pile of dead dogs. No one notices the deer or another guy with a rifle and no one believes the police chief when he mentions them. Neither the chief, nor the mayor, no any other person in the station thinks to check the bullets in the pile of dead dogs and just let the guy get back to work as long as he promises to see an insufferably smarmy therapist. Also no one but a teenager and a gun toting yokel are even aware that multiple packs of feral dogs are all over the place.

This is a town where people stalk gun owning trauma survivors for literally no reason though, so maybe the big twist is that there's a huge mercury contamination in the water supply or something. Or maybe they'll just reset the magic island like its a modem.

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009

Yudo posted:

Having a PhD in raptureology I can confirm this, in my expert opinion, to be the case.

Bart's been raptured and his crap's been craptured!

Watching this series reminded me of the MH370 and all the nutty theories about the missing flight. I'd imagine if 2% of the world's population it would be that crap times a million. So not too unbelievable.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

LinkesAuge posted:

I don't think that but I can understand why the average viewer would think so. Like I said, why introduce a mystery if you won't want to explore it further.

I disagree with your characterization of the not-rapture as a mystery, at least in terms of the narratives. Just because something isn't explained doesn't make a mystery.

Imagine it was a story where characters are struggling with what happens to people when they die. Would that be introducing a "mystery" that has to be solved?

Like, the various cults - Wayne and the Guilty Remnant - I would say those are mysteries. We're meant to wonder what they're about, and they're introducing both new answers and questions about them. Same with the Dog Dude. We're probably going to learn more about what's going on with them eventually.

But the not-rapture hasn't really been portrayed in the same way. So far it's just been presented as a stand-in for, I guess, something like the fundamental uncertainty of the universe. Like, they could have just as well have used the afterlife, instead, but they're using a fantasy element to distance the story from the real world a little bit so they can discuss things without stampeding over people's personal beliefs.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Looks like the Pope has a theory on The Leftovers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28282050

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

XboxPants posted:

I disagree with your characterization of the not-rapture as a mystery, at least in terms of the narratives. Just because something isn't explained doesn't make a mystery.

Imagine it was a story where characters are struggling with what happens to people when they die. Would that be introducing a "mystery" that has to be solved?

Like, the various cults - Wayne and the Guilty Remnant - I would say those are mysteries. We're meant to wonder what they're about, and they're introducing both new answers and questions about them. Same with the Dog Dude. We're probably going to learn more about what's going on with them eventually.

But the not-rapture hasn't really been portrayed in the same way. So far it's just been presented as a stand-in for, I guess, something like the fundamental uncertainty of the universe. Like, they could have just as well have used the afterlife, instead, but they're using a fantasy element to distance the story from the real world a little bit so they can discuss things without stampeding over people's personal beliefs.

Well said. I am less interested in an explanation of the not-rapture (because ultimately that would be a disappointment no matter how you spin it) and more interested in the motivations behind Wayne, the GR, etc.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Tofu Injection posted:

The police chief was found standing over a pile of dead dogs. No one notices the deer or another guy with a rifle and no one believes the police chief when he mentions them. Neither the chief, nor the mayor, no any other person in the station thinks to check the bullets in the pile of dead dogs and just let the guy get back to work as long as he promises to see an insufferably smarmy therapist. Also no one but a teenager and a gun toting yokel are even aware that multiple packs of feral dogs are all over the place.

This is a town where people stalk gun owning trauma survivors for literally no reason though, so maybe the big twist is that there's a huge mercury contamination in the water supply or something. Or maybe they'll just reset the magic island like its a modem.

There is a lot of apathy going around. If you are a religious person on the show, I imagine the subtext would be that you weren't good enough for God, so what's the point - if you aren't religious, everyone else is crazy, so still, what's the point?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I got the impression that the lack of "policework" being done re: the dogs was maybe due to everyone just being pretty sure it was the Chief and not feeling the need to go through the motions of an investigation.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

imperialparadox posted:

There is a lot of apathy going around. If you are a religious person on the show, I imagine the subtext would be that you weren't good enough for God, so what's the point - if you aren't religious, everyone else is crazy, so still, what's the point?

The pastor (played by Christopher Eccleston) has been going around almost making the opposite point; a lot of the people taken weren't good enough to go to Heaven so it couldn't have been a Rapture event. Tonight's episode is supposed to focus on him so I'm pretty excited to see what happens there.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

If a pregnant woman is raptured does the baby go too.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Junkfist posted:

It didn't, because the characters are unsympathetic sad-sacks with nebulous motives who behave ~mysteriously~ and/or like idiots.

Liv Tyler, for example, became a lumberjack in the second episode. It took its entire run of eight seasons for Dexter to become that silly.
Man, i wonder what could have caused them all to be sad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yaoi Mandel posted:

Man, i wonder what could have caused them all to be sad...

Lost.

edit: oh you don't mean the posters in this thread

• Locked thread