Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Louis CK can sum up my feelings on this matter far better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEY58fiSK8E

Gets relevant at 1:25.

Anyway, now having seen their ads after buying the phone I got last week, gently caress them, I'm glad I had miraculously insulated myself from advertising leading up to my phone purchase (there's nothing on in the summer and I use my DVR heavily in the first place, so I've been way out of it). I can't really fault them that strategy since it works, but the execution is obnoxious.

Just don't turn this into a brand war and disparage the actual product's quality because you seem to REALLY hate Samsung for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

Your criticisms also seem to boil down to poo poo that's easily remedied by just removing preloaded software...something that makes me want to punch a baby every time I hear it, having worked repairing PCs and heard, "Omg this computer I just bought is a piece of poo poo, it's so SLOW," too many times to count. Just gently caress most people in regards to technological illiteracy.

Which segues into probably the most rage-inducing commercials I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9m2s6QG1Q0

Does it take more than THREE SECONDS for your email to load?

Well maybe you're an impatient, entitled gently caress who needs to calm down and let the hiccup in your local DNS resolve itself before assuming your $1200 facebook machine is at fault. That's my gut reaction every time I see his smug loving face saying that.

The adjective "slow" needs to be banned from use by IT clients and is ALL over any sort of advertising for these sorts of services. It's a relative descriptor rear end in a top hat. Is it slow relative to your expectations or have you documented that the load time on a program has increased over time? If you can answer with the latter, you probably know enough to fix this yourself.

Whoa dude, I'm echoing the prevailing opinion in most Android circles, not getting in a brand war here. Take a step back. I was explaining a theory as to why Samsung chooses to advertise the way they do. I'm not saying that using a Samsung phone instead of using an Apple or an HTC or LG is akin to torture or anything. I'm saying it doesn't have the features necessary to differentiate itself from the rest based on merit so they have to go a different direction.

I love that Loius CK bit, but I don't think it's particularly relevant to what I was saying at all. It is ridiculous for people to complain that something that is amazing isn't 100% perfect. Not at all what I was saying.

As for specifics, Samsung phones are based on a framework called Touchwiz which is pretty universally hated (check the Android thread on this very website where the attitude is that people who use Samsung phones are pretty much uninformed about what's good and assume Samsung's software is the same as all other Android phones because Samsung is the one they've heard of the most), and it's not always just a matter of "removing preloaded software" because the deficiencies of Touchwiz are baked deeply into the version of Android installed on the phone and the alternative to using Touchwiz based software on an Samsung phone is to flash a custom ROM on to the phone that has that stuff removed (Which many people do)

So no, I don't have a vendetta against Samsung. I have a Samsung TV that I spent a lot of money on, it's great. Their phone software leaves much to be desired and is hard to advertise for it based on merit. That's it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

There is an ad for a car dealership that plays on every channel in the Madison, WI TV market during just about every commercial break. It stars two jackasses in pickle costumes screaming about their NICKEL PICKLE SALE!!

And at the end it looks like they hold up rubber disembodied heads and I don't know what the gently caress...

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U8t5JiOpTI

I was driving through Madison last week and saw their sign about their "World Famous" Nickel Pickle Sale.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

GutBomb posted:

Whoa dude, I'm echoing the prevailing opinion in most Android circles, not getting in a brand war here. Take a step back. I was explaining a theory as to why Samsung chooses to advertise the way they do. I'm not saying that using a Samsung phone instead of using an Apple or an HTC or LG is akin to torture or anything. I'm saying it doesn't have the features necessary to differentiate itself from the rest based on merit so they have to go a different direction.

I love that Loius CK bit, but I don't think it's particularly relevant to what I was saying at all. It is ridiculous for people to complain that something that is amazing isn't 100% perfect. Not at all what I was saying.

As for specifics, Samsung phones are based on a framework called Touchwiz which is pretty universally hated (check the Android thread on this very website where the attitude is that people who use Samsung phones are pretty much uninformed about what's good and assume Samsung's software is the same as all other Android phones because Samsung is the one they've heard of the most), and it's not always just a matter of "removing preloaded software" because the deficiencies of Touchwiz are baked deeply into the version of Android installed on the phone and the alternative to using Touchwiz based software on an Samsung phone is to flash a custom ROM on to the phone that has that stuff removed (Which many people do)

So no, I don't have a vendetta against Samsung. I have a Samsung TV that I spent a lot of money on, it's great. Their phone software leaves much to be desired and is hard to advertise it based on merit. That's it.

Your points about touchwiz are valid, but you might want to reread your original post. It comes across as, "gently caress Samsung, they make an irredeemably lovely product and only sell it by tearing down my hero Apple." I stand by the relevance of the Louis CK bit, but that's another debate entirely.

Don't want to start an argument over it, we're mostly on the same page (I agree that touchwiz is crap but it's not that important to me...I'm also someone who would go to the point of flashing a custom ROM onto my device). My point is just that the original post doesn't sound the way you thought it did, it sounds like the usual crappy brand loyalty rant, and I can't stand that poo poo.

Side note: My last phone was a Galaxy Nexus. It was absolute poo poo, I don't think it ever lasted a full day sitting idle on its battery. Just bought an S5, went in blind to test drive then did reserach for a few days after. I was rather close to going with HTC instead, but so far I'm very impressed with this device (so nice that with my normal mild use it will last 3-4 days on a charge). Phones aside, I've never had a problem with my Samsung laptops, they've been universally amazing for me (had one screen crap out on me under warranty and their service department is the exact opposite, but that's customer service with computers anywhere lately).

Anyway, actual relevant content:

http://www.appliancedirect.com/bebo.html

There's no youtube version, sadly, so you have to view it on their site...but jesus christ. I don't miss many things about Florida, but I miss the ridiculousness of Appliance Direct.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Your points about touchwiz are valid, but you might want to reread your original post. It comes across as, "gently caress Samsung, they make an irredeemably lovely product and only sell it by tearing down my hero Apple." I stand by the relevance of the Louis CK bit, but that's another debate entirely.

Where? The tone you claim to detect (which I have bolded above) is in no way referenced in the post which I've conveniently quoted for you to look over again. In it you'll notice I used fairly benign terms like "not a pretty good product" in a response to that exact phrase, "not a lot of visual flair" which I suppose could sting if you were the designer, "poor build quality" which is pretty factual and still not close to "gently caress Samsung" or "irredeemably lovely", and "among the slowest of Android phone manufacturers to update their software" which is, you know, quantifiable by looking at software updates from them and other manufacturers.

GutBomb posted:

The thing is, that in the world of Android phones Samsung does not have a pretty good product, they just have the marketing budget. They have a bloated version of Android on their phone that doesn't have a lot of visual flair, they have poor build quality, and are among the slowest of Android phone manufacturers to update their software, but everyone knows Samsung makes "the best phones" because of their marketing budget. They don't have enough merit to advertise on so they have to advertise with the tone of "we're the Apple alternative" and are trying to get the message across that there are only two choices, Samsung and Apple and you don't do that by touting features that every other Android phone has or will have with it's next release. You do it by tearing down Apple and Apple users and not acknowledging the products that are actually very close in feature-set and compatibility, and that are in most cases better products than the ones you sell.

Where am I saying anything even resembling brand loyalty? How about reading my words instead of assuming you know what I'm talking about.

Again, just to be clear, a question was asked why Samsung doesn't advertise their products based on merit, I answered the drat question. If anyone is getting super defensive about brand choices it's you who jumped to the defense of your purchase after I so deeply besmirched Samsung's good name.

PS: while I use an iPhone now I deeply regret trading in my HTC One for it. No brand loyalty here, dude.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 7, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

GutBomb posted:

Where?

Where am I saying anything even resembling brand loyalty? How about reading my words instead of assuming you know what I'm talking about.

Again, just to be clear, a question was asked why Samsung doesn't advertise their products based on merit, I answered the drat question. If anyone is getting super defensive about brand choices it's you who jumped to the defense of your purchase after I so deeply besmirched Samsung's good name.

PS: while I use an iPhone now I deeply regret trading in my HTC One for it. No brand loyalty here, dude.

I was referring to the repeated mention of Samsung attacking Apple, which come across as defensive. But whatever dude, there's nothing to be gained trying to convince each other of anything here, end of derail.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rahonavis posted:

"Good morning
Red bird.
"Good morning
Red bird."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKww9ZULdnk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAmu8_h4WW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lFfT5SVIIQ

Nabi, you're a dick. I don't want you playing with my kids. I don't have any kids at the moment, it's the sentiment that counts.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I have to find or record for myself this motorcycle accident attorney here in Michigan. It starts off, "If you ride a motorcycle, sooner or later you WILL go down!"

The first time I saw it I was like :stare: is that a threat?

"You're going to drop your bike, EVEN IF WE HAVE TO DO IT OURSELVES."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mahoning posted:

Sure it's a legit point. Almost every commercial has some sort of legit point. That's not what makes it bad though. They spend the whole ad showing people using their competitor's product. And to make it worse, most of them seem happy to be plugged into the wall, not miserable. What has always bothered me about Samsung ads is they spend the entire commercial talking about Apple and nearly forget that they have a pretty good product on their hands.

I'm sure that it helps create a bit of brand loyalty with the people who are already Samsung users, but I doubt you're going to convince many others with that strategy.

Do they still have that depressing, meandering violin music through the whole thing? That's what I hate most about those commercials.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
I was reading through this entire conversation and I automatically assumed at first that you were all talking about that one song in the new commercials where it sounds like the person's yawn-singing repeatedly

because that poo poo's annoying

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Timett posted:

I don't have a problem with their commercials in general but I wish rosetta stone would stop acting like giving away a free demo was a huge event

The one I hate is the one where it's supposed to be someone calling in for the free demo, and he asks "What's the catch?" I used to take these calls. The 'catch' is that you have to get past no less than THREE attempts to get you to whip out the credit card and buy the full program. Once you get past this, then we get your shipping info to send the demo. I think it's jumping through all the hoops is what makes the demo giveaway an "event".

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I can't believe Vonage bought back the annoying "Woo Hoo Woo Hoo" song in their ads. It's a shame that song from Kill Bill is forever ruined by being associated to a crappy phone company.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Retail Slave posted:

There is an ad for a car dealership that plays on every channel in the Madison, WI TV market during just about every commercial break. It stars two jackasses in pickle costumes screaming about their NICKEL PICKLE SALE!!

And at the end it looks like they hold up rubber disembodied heads and I don't know what the gently caress...

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U8t5JiOpTI

We have a guy who does pretty much the exact same commercial here in Arizona: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIon6KBIpac

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rirse posted:

I can't believe Vonage bought back the annoying "Woo Hoo Woo Hoo" song in their ads. It's a shame that song from Kill Bill is forever ruined by being associated to a crappy phone company.
Why can't you believe it? They paid money to use it once, why not twice? It wasn't a good song in Kill Bill though. In fact, it isnt a good song at all!

Cage fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 9, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ElTacoGato posted:

We have a guy who does pretty much the exact same commercial here in Arizona: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIon6KBIpac

Same exact script too, wow. Who's getting the royalty payments for that glorious bit of sketch comedy?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cage posted:

Why can't you believe it? They paid money to use it once, why not twice? It wasn't a good song in Kill Bill though. In fact, it isnt a good song at all!

Thank you. There are some good songs on the Kill Bill soundtrack, that isn't one of them.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Same exact script too, wow. Who's getting the royalty payments for that glorious bit of sketch comedy?

Odds are it's a somewhat canned/generic deal from a national ad agency.
Also holy poo poo your av owns.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ElTacoGato posted:

drat, this makes it so much worse. Stupid local car ads done by stupid local car dealers are one thing, but there's some national agency selling people on the "Nickle Pickle" ad package.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boh3yYP0FIg
This Febreeze commercial doesn't make me want to buy the product, it makes me want to sit on that couch.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

muscles like this? posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boh3yYP0FIg
This Febreeze commercial doesn't make me want to buy the product, it makes me want to sit on that couch.

:syoon:
I'm torn between the kitty couch and doggy car. Oh what the hell, there's room in my heart for both.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that cat couch is great

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rahonavis posted:

and doggy car.

Chicks dig it.

It's the shaggin' wagon.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*takes deep breath; exhales slowly*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioBICmyDfB0

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

DJExile posted:

Thank you. There are some good songs on the Kill Bill soundtrack, that isn't one of them.

It doesn't have to be, the single uncut shot that it resides in is sweet enough that the song is just background noise.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DJExile posted:

On the other hand, it did lead to this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

raditts posted:

On the other hand, it did lead to this.

ok that's fantastic

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
More crazy car poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6v8QuYOqCY

I really can't see this thing catching very much.

A $10 dollar value! But they'll give you four for $10 (plus some probably ridiculous s&h).

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I really wanna see some statistics on how many things advertised as "patent pending" ever actually get patents approved

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

More crazy car poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6v8QuYOqCY

I really can't see this thing catching very much.

A $10 dollar value! But they'll give you four for $10 (plus some probably ridiculous s&h).

Its one of those things that's not a bad idea, but not a good enough idea to sell to people.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

skaboomizzy posted:

The Sprint framily commercial where the hamster is talking to Jeff Gordon (Gor-DON?) and rolls himself off a tool chest: that isn't a good thing to happen to a hamster, right? I've never had one so I don't know how durable hamster balls or hamster bones are.

The new one is really weird cause it ends with the hamster announcing he and his daughter or whatever are going to eat tacos and she looks really good and it's pretty bizarre. who is that actress i feel like i used to see her a lot in bad horror movies or something.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Do you mean Judy Greer?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Sash! posted:

Its one of those things that's not a bad idea, but not a good enough idea to sell to people.

I checked my car and this thing would never fit between the seat and the console.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
Because of all the miscellaneous poo poo that's fallen down there?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Grin and Tonic posted:

The new one is really weird cause it ends with the hamster announcing he and his daughter or whatever are going to eat tacos and she looks really good and it's pretty bizarre. who is that actress i feel like i used to see her a lot in bad horror movies or something.

She's been in a lot of stuff and gets that same response. She just wrote a book about it titled, "I Don't Know Where You Know Me From".

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pierce and Pierce posted:

Because of all the miscellaneous poo poo that's fallen down there?

Yeah clean out the french fries once in a while. They're probably compressing under their own weight into fry-strata.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Vicas posted:

I really wanna see some statistics on how many things advertised as "patent pending" ever actually get patents approved

It's not hard to get a patent at all. But just because you get a patent doesn't mean you will make any money.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is "patent pending" a legal protection? like, no one else can produce your product until the case is decided?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

razorrozar posted:

Is "patent pending" a legal protection? like, no one else can produce your product until the case is decided?

US Patent Department posted:

The protection afforded by a patent does not start until the actual grant of the patent.

So get out to the garage and make your own catchy thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of funny how 5 Hour Energy is doing commercials basically stating they know they taste like crap and please people at home fix it and they'll kind of give you money.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

muscles like this? posted:

Its kind of funny how 5 Hour Energy is doing commercials basically stating they know they taste like crap and please people at home fix it and they'll kind of give you money.

Buckley's "it tastes awful, and it works" slogan works pretty well.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's not hard to get a patent at all. But just because you get a patent doesn't mean you will make any money.

My dad is a patent agent, so I know a good deal about the system. It's just weird to me that every single one of these As Seen On TV type ads says "patent pending design" that makes me wonder how many even get approved, or if their creators just run out of money before the patent comes through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Target, having learned nothing from Apple's "Gigantic" ad campaign, is using "Kids In America" for a back to school sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zwOK9xlEWk