Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'm 4 minutes into Bioman and I see the plaza with those funny looking columns.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=36.081927,140.113661&hl=en&sll=36.082345,140.113664&sspn=0.003924,0.004823&t=h&z=17&iwloc=near

Does Bioman have the empty warehouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
If you liked Megaforce and Supermegaforce, you have to watch Goseiger and Gokaiger. Magiranger is a lot of fun.

I've just started Dekaranger, and I really like the characters so far. My plan is to finish Dekaranger, then watch Bokenger, and then watch Gekiranger.

I've also started watching Battle Fever J and there is way less dancing than I expected. It's pretty fun, though!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dr Tran posted:

Does Bioman have the empty warehouse?

Probably, but not nearly as decrepit. I recall an interview with the dude who played Kamen Rider Black, when they brought him back for Decade, and he mentioned how they were still shooting in the same abandoned warehouse, but half of it had collapsed or something.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Don't watch Goseiger or Gokaiger if you actually want to be spoiled by whatever Gosei Knight does when he gets back (probably, it could all be original, after all) or the second half of Super Megaforce, which will just be the start/end of Gokaiger.

If you want to see the MMPR suits in a whole new light watch Zyuranger. Jetman, which aired the year before it, is also pretty cool if you can stand that point around 2/3rds of the way through where it just sort of falls into a lull for ten episodes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Probably, but not nearly as decrepit. I recall an interview with the dude who played Kamen Rider Black, when they brought him back for Decade, and he mentioned how they were still shooting in the same abandoned warehouse, but half of it had collapsed or something.

You'd think Toei would spare a couple hundred thousand yen to fix a regular shooting location up.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Gaz-L posted:

You'd think Toei would spare a couple hundred thousand yen to fix a regular shooting location up.

It probably adds to the effect - making it seem even more abandoned.

Though I do wish they'd also find some more newer locations to shoot from at times. Seeing the same stadium time and again as the background for a fight, whether its last year's sentai, this year's, or even the Kamen Rider series next door, does irritate in that small way.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think they rotate between areas as the years go on, just to try and eliminate location fatigue. Like that curved ramp Nobuo freaked out about in Akibaranger, which only recently started appearing again. Toqger was there a couple weeks back, and I think Gaim hit it up early in its run as well. They still film a ton at some stadium, but they haven't filmed in front of the doors with the circular windows in a while; those same doors were all over the shows a decade ago, however. And those weird squared-off limestone caves crop up in Kamen Rider way more often than in Sentai.

Toqger seems actually pretty good about finding, at the very least, different train stations to film at :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cliff Racer posted:

Don't watch Goseiger or Gokaiger if you actually want to be spoiled by whatever Gosei Knight does when he gets back (probably, it could all be original, after all)

I'm really hoping the rumor posted earlier in the thread isn't true, because it would make absolutely no sense. But since it's Power Rangers...it probably is.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

I think they rotate between areas as the years go on, just to try and eliminate location fatigue. Like that curved ramp Nobuo freaked out about in Akibaranger, which only recently started appearing again. Toqger was there a couple weeks back, and I think Gaim hit it up early in its run as well. They still film a ton at some stadium, but they haven't filmed in front of the doors with the circular windows in a while; those same doors were all over the shows a decade ago, however. And those weird squared-off limestone caves crop up in Kamen Rider way more often than in Sentai.

Toqger seems actually pretty good about finding, at the very least, different train stations to film at :v:

The average kid only watches Sentai for three years, they'd do better to rotate locations every year in a three year cycle than what you are proposing. Ultimately though I don't think its that big a deal, only a few places stand out as being super obvious to me (the stadium, the stage, that skylit pool, etc.) Its sort of annoying that TQGer started going to more rural locations which, ironically, made for more interesting scenery than Tokyo, but now seems to be back to what is obviously just Tokyo and its suburbs. Not surprising though I guess.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Outside of literally copying a plotline from In Space, RPM is great.

A plotline that unless you were a literal child at the time (which was possible), you knew the end result from minute one the first time around.

Semi-related: I wish Space had extended the Astronema And Shane Try Dating plot. The idea of a Power Ranger and the Bad Guy trying to sneak off together from time to time just hit my funny bone.

"Why is Astronema sending so many monsters? Are you two fighting again?"

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 13, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

MisterBibs posted:

A plotline that unless you were a literal child at the time (which was possible), you knew the end result from minute one the first time around.

Semi-related: I wish Space had extended the Astronema And Shane Try Dating plot. The idea of a Power Ranger and the Bad Guy trying to sneak off together from time to time just hit my funny bone.

"Why is Astronema sending so many monsters? Are you two fighting again?"

This needs to happen in Dino Charge to explain where Purple is all the time.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Adjunct Cheesecake posted:

Now that that's all done and there's a bit of time before Megaforce comes off of hiatus, are there any Sentai seasons I should watch the translated versions of online? 2-4 different Sentai seasons would probably be enough to keep me occupied.

I just got into Sentai a few months ago and I'm currently on my third season. I've generally hewed pretty close to "MMPR nostalgia" when it comes to Sentai. Zyuranger is great for the nostalgia factor (the TyrannoRanger/DragonRanger plotline alone is worth the watch), but it's not the best season of what I've seen. Jetman is easily the high water mark of the seasons I've watched; I'm only 7 or so episodes in, and every last episode has been entertaining. Dairanger starts off pretty slow, but the conclusion is epic; way better than Zyuranger's season ender arc.

I've had a little trouble finding translated seasons that are completed. I've found a great Youtube channel with a lot of episodes but only a handful of completed seasons, PM me if you want the details.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Your Sledgehammer posted:

I just got into Sentai a few months ago and I'm currently on my third season. I've generally hewed pretty close to "MMPR nostalgia" when it comes to Sentai. Zyuranger is great for the nostalgia factor (the TyrannoRanger/DragonRanger plotline alone is worth the watch), but it's not the best season of what I've seen. Jetman is easily the high water mark of the seasons I've watched; I'm only 7 or so episodes in, and every last episode has been entertaining. Dairanger starts off pretty slow, but the conclusion is epic; way better than Zyuranger's season ender arc.

I've had a little trouble finding translated seasons that are completed. I've found a great Youtube channel with a lot of episodes but only a handful of completed seasons, PM me if you want the details.

I think Toei did a YouTube crackdown a few months ago - the channel I was using to watch Kyurenger got gutted the day after I watched the final. They're rebuilding now but it's still hard to find, say, Go Busters.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

I think Toei did a YouTube crackdown a few months ago - the channel I was using to watch Kyurenger got gutted the day after I watched the final. They're rebuilding now but it's still hard to find, say, Go Busters.

I understand Toei wants to protect its copyright, but have any translated versions of Sentai been released in the States? If not, then Youtube crackdowns strike me as overkill.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Here's a list of fully subbed sentai and appropriate search terms

Sun Vulcan (Gao Soul Forever)
Maskman (Grown Ups in Spandex / GUIS)
Liveman (GUIS)
Jetman (GUIS)
Zyuranger (GUIS)
Dairanger (Hikari Senshi)
Megaranger (Million Fold Curiosity)
Gaoranger (Gao Soul Forever)
Go-Onger (Go-Anonger)
Goseiger (Million Fold Curiosity)
Gokaiger (Over-Time)
Go-Busters (OT)
Kyoryuger (OT)

Shows in progress with a good chance of getting finished
Bioman (GUIS)(English dub exists on youtube in awful quality)
Carranger (Harorangers)
Kakuranger (GUIS)
Abaranger (Imagination Station)
Shinkenger (OT)

Shows with subs you should avoid unless completely desperate
Dekaranger
Magiranger
Boukenger
Gekiranger

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Don't worry, you can still find plenty of fan videos of BoukenBlack with I Stand Alone playing overtop.

Dr Tran posted:

Shows with subs you should avoid unless completely desperate
Dekaranger

Eh, just avoid Dekaranger in general. There's some okay parts to it, but it's a seriously inept series whose only saving grace were some fun monster designs and Kinoshita Ayumi.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 13, 2014

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

I understand Toei wants to protect its copyright, but have any translated versions of Sentai been released in the States? If not, then Youtube crackdowns strike me as overkill.

It certainly hasn't in Australia. Without a YouTube recommendation for Go Busters vs Go Busters I may never have gotten into that show at all.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

this may surprise you but Japan knows how to use youtube. btw those periodic crackdowns annoy the hell out of me because I just want to look up transformation sequences. I'm a sucker for seeing a dude wave a phone in the air and get replaced by a different dude in spandex.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm gonna just plug another project I'm on real quick...if anyone here is going to be attending Motaku (anime convention this august in the Kansas City area), I'll be putting on a Sentai/Power Rangers panel that Saturday.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Eh, just avoid Dekaranger in general. There's some okay parts to it, but it's a seriously inept series whose only saving grace were some fun monster designs and Kinoshita Ayumi.

What did you find inept about Dekaranger? Like, I can understand people shying away from subs given the quality of the translation, but to just not like the show itself is surprising.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
To be honest, I found the characters other than Red/White/early Pink to be really bland. I can't honestly remember a thing about them as individuals instead sort of just gelling together into one hazy guy who loved Kujaku, fought the Three Stooges and... whatever Yellow's deal was. And then a lot of people just can't wrap their heads around the ending. I felt that it really "jumped around" a lot too. The begining (up to the Really, Really Bad Dude being introduced,) middle and end all feel like completely different shows. Of the shows I've seen I'd say it had a lot of individual high points, especially with the miniature effects but had huge down periods to go along with it. Not one of my favorites.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Potsticker posted:

What did you find inept about Dekaranger? Like, I can understand people shying away from subs given the quality of the translation, but to just not like the show itself is surprising.

"Avoid" might have been overly strong, but it feels like a very aimless series and the Dekarangers aren't actually all that good at being detectives. Tetsu especially is a complete waste of spandex; he arrives on Earth hunting a super-criminal aaaaaand it's someone random, not the actual main villain of the series, who no one even knows exists until he outs himself to them in episode 40 or something ridiculous. I know they were going for this arch-pulp quality, which is why everyone has a really broad personality, but it's also really lovely as a result. These guys are supposed to be the best, the elite, and they had to be spoonfed pretty much everything.

While we're on about "the quality of the translation", is this a TV-Nihon slam? I like their subs, but for whatever reason the internet has this ridiculous hate-boner for them.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think the majority of the stuff I've seen has been from them and the only issue I've had is them using a lot of Japanese attack names with tiny sub-subtitles at the top of he frame. But honestly in a series about samurai, fair e-loving-nuff.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

While we're on about "the quality of the translation", is this a TV-Nihon slam? I like their subs, but for whatever reason the internet has this ridiculous hate-boner for them.

Because their translations are notably bad. Occasionally completely missing the actual point of a sentence or leaving Japanese words in when they could be translated. The honorifics are mostly harmless but occasionally really bad.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 13, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I guess if you think the Malaysian dubs are perfect english translations, Nihon deserve no hate.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

Because their translations are notably bad.

It takes a special :spergin: kind of hatred to monomaniacally comb through a group's entire output to find poo poo to bitch about.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

It takes a special :spergin: kind of hatred to monomaniacally comb through a group's entire output to find poo poo to bitch about.

It's not combing when every one of their releases is littered with untranslated Japanese and incredibly poor translations.

Considering there were the only game in town from 2004 to 2010 or so, they have a very long resume to point to.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's not so much a slam as it is an acknowledgement of the hate-boner. Some of TV-N's work is better than others, but the overall quality is low enough that that tumblr exists. I think some of the entries there are pretty nitpicky, but they had at least enough content on hand or submitted to them that kept it going for a while.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Potsticker posted:

It's not so much a slam as it is an acknowledgement of the hate-boner. Some of TV-N's work is better than others, but the overall quality is low enough that that tumblr exists. I think some of the entries there are pretty nitpicky, but they had at least enough content on hand or submitted to them that kept it going for a while.

And then there's Magenta's occasional blog posts about TVN's Gaim which end up boiling down to "they could be so much better but they're not."

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm
I ended up starting Jetman ... I'm only 4 episodes in, and this is already great. If only Saban/Disney/Nickelodeon/whoever would have plotlines involving someone leaving someone at the altar and then stealing a motorcycle so they can go fight.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They kind of did that in RPM. (Edit: Except I'm a complete idiot and am completely mis-remembering her origin. But, in my defense, Summer would totally have left some doofus at the altar to ride away on a yellow motorcycle, and it would have made her that much better.)

With all the people starting Jetman, there should be a podcast or something. It's everything I wanted with MMPR nostalgia, only legitimately great.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 15, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Inkspot posted:

They kind of did that in RPM. (Edit: Except I'm a complete idiot and am completely mis-remembering her origin. But, in my defense, Summer would totally have left some doofus at the altar to ride away on a yellow motorcycle, and it would have made her that much better.)

With all the people starting Jetman, there should be a podcast or something. It's everything I wanted with MMPR nostalgia, only legitimately great.

There was one but it quickly degenerated into crap and the "veteren" watcher spoiled the main plot to the new watcher in episode one or two so that was a lot of potential ruined right from the start.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Whenever someone says TV Nihon isn't that bad all I can think of is that one episode of Shinkenger where I said "This is loving stupid," and I remember it perfectly.

Jii is talking to someone and says "We'll bring it up to our [Japanese word] tomorrow."

At the top of the screen is "Translator's note: [Japanese word] means accountant."

That's ridiculous. There is literally no excuse for that. All they had to do was put "We'll bring it up to our accountants tomorrow" and there would be no problem. But for some reason they just left the word untranslated...no, not even untranslated, because they did translate it, but not in the subtitle. What the hell is that?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I appreciate that TV-Nihon's subs allow you to enjoy the full flavour of Japan's rich culture and language. Like the way they couldn't be bothered to translate stuff like "mum" and "sis" and whatever in Magiranger.

gently caress TV-Nihon.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I get the hate with TVN, but I have a problem with AEsir's Gaim sub, mostly how they are translating the Professor's name.

They translate his last name to Warring instead of keeping it Sengoku. I can get translating the Driver name and then doing the same to his to keep it consistent for the plot but most of the time and and watching and it just irritates me they translated his name.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mateo360 posted:

I get the hate with TVN, but I have a problem with AEsir's Gaim sub, mostly how they are translating the Professor's name.

They translate his last name to Warring instead of keeping it Sengoku. I can get translating the Driver name and then doing the same to his to keep it consistent for the plot but most of the time and and watching and it just irritates me they translated his name.

This is actually kind of an inside joke.

See, with Go-busters, they translated one the Megazord, the Oh Buster or some such, as the King Buster.

And then later on in the show, a new Megazord shows up called....The King Buster.

Similar kind of thing here.

They name the Drivers the Warring Drivers because that's effectively what it translates to.

Then it turns out that they're not named after the period-they're named after a PERSON. Meaning if they keep his name the same, they'd either have to translate what he says about it wrong, IE make it seem he did not name them after himself, which would be ludicrous, change them back to his last name, leave the jarring disconnect...

OR just not give a gently caress and go full on the PROFESSOR WARRING TRAIN CHOO CHOO.

You can see what they did.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I saw a movie a few weeks ago where they had to translate the names to make the jokes work.

Something along the lines of: "Well you're name is Naoko Redtree, so you're Red"

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Hey, the movie is going forward. Roberto Orci is executive producer (Star Trek, Amazing Spider-Man 2) and the writing team is Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz (Thor, Sarah Connor Chronicles). So standard summer movie fair.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Liar Lyre posted:

Hey, the movie is going forward. Roberto Orci is executive producer (Star Trek, Amazing Spider-Man 2) and the writing team is Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz (Thor, Sarah Connor Chronicles). So standard summer movie fair.

Having Orci onboard is a plus and a minus for me, made murky by the idea that he's executive producer rather than directly a part of the writing process. Along with his usual writing partner of Alex Kurtzman, Orci is a guy who likes and can actually be bothered with continuity and incorporating the wider mythos of a franchise. This is part of what helped Transformers Prime. On the other hand, he also often likes including things - often plot important things - reliant on info in that wider mythos, rather than having it be properly established and explained within a work itself, especially compared to the timespan of a movie. This is part of what helped Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen fail.

So yeah, he's the kind of guy who might actually stop to realise the power franchise didn't just start and end with MMPR, but I am somewhat wary of the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Man, I'm mixed because Orci also does the Everything But The Kitchen Sink approach to plots, which many people say is WHY the Transformers movies and ASM 2 are bad. I'm cautious, but it does show Saban is serious about the movie by hiring professional AAA league crew.