Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

dennyk posted:

Has Goodyear even made any new NASCAR rain tires in the last decade? I thought the Nationwide guys were still using up the leftover old surplus rain tires they churned out years ago when they were first considering using them at the road courses in Cup.

It seems silly to spend the money to make a bunch of special tires that might get used once every few years, if that, since Cup only has the two road course races and the odds of them getting rained out aren't that high, so clearly they need to add several more road course races in rainy areas to make this a viable option. :colbert:

I agree, NASCAR needs to run Pacific and Portland at least once each a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

I like the idea of Portland being used as a track again period.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

A great driver with great opinions. :allears:.

I do wonder if the Milwaukee Mile would be worth a return?

I've honestly wonder if NASCAR/RTA should create a Super Speedway/Road Course/Short Track divisions instead of the current pseudo development ladder they currently run.

we've gone from "hey this thing is forming to get a bit of sponsor money for rich dudes" to "a magical group of princes are going to make all my twisted dreams come true!" in under a week

that's gotta be some kind of record

FuzzySkinner posted:

Honestly, I would try to do this:

Cup, I would keep the same design, but have it exclusively tailored to provide good racing on tracks that are 1.5 miles and above.

Nationwide? Exclusively a road course series. The cars would be American Muscle Car-like. Dodge Charger, Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camero, etc. I would make them look very "Trans Am Series"-like.

Trucks? Keep as is. They're designed to race at tracks a mile and below.

it's almost as if Trucks and Nationwide aren't development series and are full on professional touring series at the national level

stop making posts like these

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 13, 2014

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Peanut President posted:

Make it a season finale or one of the first races. A slam dunk to have rain.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

it's almost as if Trucks and Nationwide aren't development series and are full on professional touring series at the national level.

Yes and they suck. (except when SRA is racing).

The way those three series are constructed make for absolute garbage racing right now. Hell, ARCA is more entertaining to watch then loving Nationwide. How sad is that?

Also, go back to sucking Brian France's dick, and shut the gently caress up. "DURR HIS SERIES SAVED OVAL TRACK RACING".

rear end in a top hat.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 13, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

FuzzySkinner posted:

The way those three series are constructed make for absolute garbage racing right now. Hell, ARCA is more entertaining to watch then loving Nationwide. How sad is that?

Also, go back to sucking Brian France's dick, and shut the gently caress up. "DURR HIS SERIES SAVED OVAL TRACK RACING".

rear end in a top hat.

What the gently caress trucks don't suck!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

What the gently caress trucks don't suck!

When Trucks are at Eldora, Iowa or when the great SRA is racing? Yeah, they're pretty cool. It's why I argued they should be kept the way they are for the most part.

They're pretty terrible when Kyle Busch is racing though IMO.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

All racing series are better when the Busch brothers race in them.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Fauxhawk Express posted:

All racing series are better when the Busch brothers race in them.

And bad Brad!

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Man, Peters better run. I hear he knows a guy.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BMB5150 posted:

Make it a season finale or one of the first races. A slam dunk to have rain.

I'd take Portland over Homestead anytime. Forty-degrees and pouring down rain for the finale? :getin:

FuzzySkinner posted:

rear end in a top hat.

Easy there killer. Trucks and Nationwide are not better than ARCA. ARCA is more fun to watch because everyone in it is terrible.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

rear end in a top hat.

wow look at this

"I know what will fix Nationwide, ALL ROAD COURSES :smug:"

because what you want to do to fix the two "development series" is make them as different as possible from the top series

also what crowd was bigger this weekend, show me on the doll where the attendance count touched you

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 13, 2014

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The ability to shoot paintballs in every series a la NASCAR '98 would fix everything imo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

NASCAR TV Silly Season update, with today TNT's last broadcast:

Booth:
Adam Alexander- Does other NASCAR and college football stuff with FS1. Seems like he'd be a candidate for the Truck gig next year.
Wally Dallenbach- NBC Indy color guy, I think he's made some appearances on NASCAR America. Might see him again.
Kyle Petty- Will be on TV somewhere.

Larry Mac- Continues with FOX.

Chris Neville- Does sports cars on FS1. Will probably continue there.
Ralph Sheheen- Said he's doing Barrett-Jackson and bikes the rest of the year. Also does voiceover work for NBCSN. Could be a candidate for the Truck gig in 2015.
Marty Snider- To NBC in 2015.
Matt Yocum- Continues with FOX.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Trucks are only bad when one driver is in the field, because that one driver wins. Trucks are the only series that make cookie cutters provide decent racing.

Nationwide is beyond hope.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 13, 2014

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I think both series can be made viable semi-independent series again, but it would take more time, effort, money and patience than all but a select few (between teams, tracks, sponsors and the sanctioning body) would put into it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That won't happen until the TV deal doesn't include them, and if it ever does happen they won't have a TV deal.

"Live from a track you don't know, 40 guys you've never heard of battle it out! Here, only on Fox Sports 7 1/2!"

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I like the trucks. I don't always watch but when I do I am entertained.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

VikingSkull posted:

That won't happen until the TV deal doesn't include them, and if it ever does happen they won't have a TV deal.

"Live from a track you don't know, 40 guys you've never heard of battle it out! Here, only on Fox Sports 7 1/2!"

I hate to tell you this, but that is exactly how things are already for the majority of the population, including those who have already forgotten that time they watched NASCAR in the early 2000's because it seemed to be a hot topic at the office.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

You just described the Cup series, friend.

The tracks are all so similar now that I have trouble telling which one they're at this week (and I'm sure most other fans are the same way), and in 10 years so many drivers have came in and gone out of Cup that there are only 14 drivers who were around in 2004 and are still going. And only 4 of them (Johnson, Gordon, Biffle and Edwards) are still with the same team.

So yeah let's go watch the Sprint Cup Series! Where the points system changes every year, the only constant in the schedule is the northern swing in June, and 39 entries are completely different every year! But don't you even dream of changing Nationwide or Trucks.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 13, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

because what you want to do to fix the two "development series" is make them as different as possible from the top series

Let's rewind to what you just said, because obviously you have you can't read with your head up on your own rear end.

VikingSkull posted:

it's almost as if Trucks and Nationwide aren't development series and are full on professional touring series at the national level

Yes, they are not DEVELOPMENT SERIES ANYMORE. BRIAN FRANCE HAS EVEN SAID THE SAME THING.

It's something NASCAR has truly hosed up honestly. You ever read racingnomics? He has a good break down of how NASCAR has hosed up their driver development program across the board.

So the gently caress is the point of the nationwide series? the gently caress is the point of the truck series? Wouldn't it be FAR BETTER to treat the three like separate series with all three going to a National Championship-points system?

Also go take the "DURR ATTENDANCE" comments and shove them up your rear end.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 13, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

What's better: 5000 people showing up to watch a busch race at Kansas or 5000 people showing up to watch a busch race at Memphis? Choose wisely.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
Make all truck races figure 8 races. Hail satan

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Trucks are amazing except when some guy whose 2 series up comes in and whoops everyone's rear end. Usually I'd prefer watching trucks over cup especially if it's at a cookie track.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Peanut President posted:

You just described the Cup series, friend.

The tracks are all so similar now that I have trouble telling which one they're at this week (and I'm sure most other fans are the same way), and in 10 years so many drivers have came in and gone out of Cup that there are only 14 drivers who were around in 2004 and are still going. And only 4 of them (Johnson, Gordon, Biffle and Edwards) are still with the same team.

So yeah let's go watch the Sprint Cup Series! Where the points system changes every year, the only constant in the schedule is the northern swing in June, and 39 entries are completely different every year! But don't you even dream of changing Nationwide or Trucks.

I acknowledge the teams are generally the same, but that's better than the turnover rate for NFL and NHL rosters.

E: Fuzzy, I get your point about nns and trucks supposedly not being development tours, but that's lip service when the same source gives out licenses to vastly under qualified and unproven drivers.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 13, 2014

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Peanut President posted:

What's better: 5000 people showing up to watch a busch race at Kansas or 5000 people showing up to watch a busch race at Memphis? Choose wisely.

5000 people showing up to watch a busch race at Iowa because CORN.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Larry Mac owns, smokes a cigar on live TV because what are they gonna do, fire him?

FuzzySkinner posted:

Let's rewind to what you just said, because obviously you have you can't read with your head up on your own rear end.

Yes, they are not DEVELOPMENT SERIES ANYMORE. BRIAN FRANCE HAS EVEN SAID THE SAME THING.

It's something NASCAR has truly hosed up honestly. You ever read racingnomics? He has a good break down of how NASCAR has hosed up their driver development program across the board.

So the gently caress is the point of the nationwide series? the gently caress is the point of the truck series? Wouldn't it be FAR BETTER to treat the three like separate series with all three going to a National Championship-points system?

Also go take the "DURR ATTENDANCE" comments and shove them up your rear end.

You seem angry.

AirborneSpore
Mar 2, 2014

That one bounced.
Rain could be a factor in the race today. It's pretty close to me and I'm not that far from the track. Also, no I didn't want to go to the race today. That track is getting pretty crappy. It should be removed from the schedule.

AirborneSpore fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 13, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Ken Squier :3:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

E: Fuzzy, I get your point about nns and trucks supposedly not being development tours, but that's lip service when the same source gives out licenses to vastly under qualified and unproven drivers.

Yeah.

What I'm saying is it's just kind of dumb to have say, Kansas X3 be a thing during a race weekend honestly.

Especially when Kyle Busch shows up to all three races and wins two of them.

VikingSkull posted:

You seem angry.

Go Cavs.

:). I'm actually kind of excited honestly.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well you were the one that said pseudo-development, man, I don't (and have never) viewed them as such.

So if they aren't a development series, and are more or less professional by themselves, then it makes sense that NASCAR would set them up in such a way as to maximize their TV exposure at the lowest cost. That means racing all 3 series at the same weekend at the same track as much as possible.

Setting it up as you suggest would kill both the Trucks and Nationwide.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Well you were the one that said pseudo-development, man, I don't (and have never) viewed them as such.

So if they aren't a development series, and are more or less professional by themselves, then it makes sense that NASCAR would set them up in such a way as to maximize their TV exposure at the lowest cost. That means racing all 3 series at the same weekend at the same track as much as possible.

Setting it up as you suggest would kill both the Trucks and Nationwide.

I understand that, I just feel it would it be quite a bit cooler to see such a thing.

Not that I want to kill Stock Car racing, but I just think running at tracks like Myrtle Beach again would be pretty awesome.

Peace? Don't like fighting lol, I don't hate ya man.

AirborneSpore
Mar 2, 2014

That one bounced.
Biffle and Johnson already having problems. Goodyear at it's best.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Man Goodyear may have a good day today.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

I understand that, I just feel it would it be quite a bit cooler to see such a thing.

Not that I want to kill Stock Car racing, but I just think running at tracks like Myrtle Beach again would be pretty awesome.

Peace? Don't like fighting lol, I don't hate ya man.

I don't get mad at anyone here, even when they get me probated.

Also let's blame Goodyear for tire problems despite teams running 0 PSI in the left rears. gently caress you, Goodyear, make a tire that we can reliably run out of spec :mad:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Also let's blame Goodyear for tire problems despite teams running 0 PSI in the left rears. gently caress you, Goodyear, make a tire that we can reliably run out of spec :mad:

It's getting to the point Goodyear needs to make a wider tire just to compensate for the cars having more aero and thus being faster in the corners. Loads on them are just getting more and more intense and this year has had a rash of these problems. Does Goodyear have a track record of producing poo poo tires, yeah lets go back to 05 - 08. But NASCAR didn't do them favors with more aero for this year so I can't blame them too much but could have had much more preparation for thisrace.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The fact that a 15x10 tire can hold up to the forces generated as much as they do is an impressive feat of engineering, so much so that the tire tech might be the most impressive part of a NASCAR.

There's plenty to get mad at occasionally, but tbh at a place like Loudon, most of the tire problems that we see are usually due to aggressive setups more than they are bad tires. I'll guarantee that if there's a rash of tire issues today, they'll focus mainly on the fastest teams, and if it was a manufacturer issue the problems wouldn't discriminate. That's the easiest way to tell if the issue is tire or setup based.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BTW, Viking drove by the USAC World HQ (which is like a short walk from IMS actually).

Was kind of shocked it's so small honestly. They DID however have a big rear end sign promoting a partnership with them and Honda though.

Apparently they were running Quarter Midgets in the IMS parking lot over the weekend though.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Isn't that where the Sprint Car Hall of Fame is, too?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I was in Speedway.

I do wish I was in Knoxville though because that museum sounds bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I believe that's in Knoxville. Certainly not in Indy.

• Locked thread