Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bob Morales posted:

What about that poo poo where they would make people cut up potatoes and if you were too slow or couldn't make the same size pieces they sent you home

They dropped that along with the audition episodes.

Does anyone remember when they did elimination challenges like "Identify this cut of meat" and "How may strange ingredients can you name?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Zero One posted:

Does anyone remember when they did elimination challenges like "Identify this cut of meat" and "How may strange ingredients can you name?"
Or "try to identify all of the ingredients we used to make this pot of chili." I would praise them for making the eliminations less arbitrary but at least with those challenges the audience knew if the person lost legitimately or not.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
You better save yourself.

Edit: Idiot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you can't tell chicken from pork or beef... Gordon does that on kitchen nightmares too

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The other Francis is gone, you don't need to keep calling him Scottish Francis.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The "recreate this dish" challenges are at least interesting.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Oh boy, another dessert.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
gently caress you for putting that on my screen when I'm on a diet. :argh:

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Oh look it's another dessert challenge I'm so surprised.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Another complaint I have with this show: Nearly every pressure test is a dessert.

efb

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

"Decorative art on the top"?

MasterChef logo!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Is that cake batter or rubber cement?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Ghostpilot posted:

Is that cake batter or rubber cement?
Velvet Concrete Cake.

:yum:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cutter is so irritating

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

"They don't decide who the next MasterChef is. We do!"

I didn't know Joe was a producer too.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

"The outside of the cake looks like a hairy back."

Best Ramsay insult in awhile.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A little cake with your frosting?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Those are :patriot: ratios, Gordon!

And wow, this Cutter is fuckin' smug.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ha ha wow, it really does have a very backhairish pattern to it.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Has anyone said Danny McBride yet?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

This is approaching "I ain't no bitch, chef!" levels of backtalk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

He does have a point this isn't MasterBaker

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Hahaha... Joe was totally putting words in his mouth and someone finally stood up to that rear end.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Cutter is forgetting the golden rule every Master Chef contestant should know:

"Joe Bastianich hates your loving guts."

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Oh now they give a gently caress about integrity. Every time a person hasn't saved themselves, they rag on them ruthlessly about it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Has Dan made anything good yet?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Oh look, the Ramsay salmon challenge.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Baker girl faints and dies because she couldn't figure out how to make salmon cupcakes.

ON THE NEXT: MASTERCAKE

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Beetroot risotto, with horseraddish & beetroot icecream.

loving hell.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ded posted:

loving hell.

Nothing about it sounded or looked good but I still want to try it.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Ghostpilot posted:

Oh now they give a gently caress about integrity. Every time a person hasn't saved themselves, they rag on them ruthlessly about it.

The Operative posted:

That is a trap. I offer money, you'll play the man of honor and take umbrage; I ask you to do what is right and you'll play the brigand. I have no stomach for games.

I'm surprised they showed people who approved of what he did. Usually, if someone saves themselves, they're a selfish coward who has no problem with throwing others under the bus. If they don't save themselves, they're a moron who put some pathetic sense of 'honor' before winning the drat prize they're supposedly trying to compete for. :suicide:

Chalking this up as another telegraph that he's going to win it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I like how everyone was like :aaa: when Cutter was trying to stand up to Joe of all people.

Also Courtney's pink lipstick looked trashy as gently caress.

I'm convinced Leslie is gonna be in the finale. He's annoying and an antagonist for literally everyone. You can't drop someone like that, plus he seems really competent except for when he has to do team challenges.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

1st AD posted:

I like how everyone was like :aaa: when Cutter was trying to stand up to Joe of all people.

Of all the judges to get talked back to Joe is easily the weakest.

-Ramsay, 14 Michelin stars.
-Elliot, bootstrapped himself up to 2 stars.
-Joe, rode his momma's coattails and piggybacked world-class chefs.

I'm surprised the producers are allowing it, but if the season continues with contestants making GBS threads over Joe this could be the best season ever.

Also, I loved that they show Courtney dissing Willie for not saving himself. She's definitely being slowly cast as the "evil bitch" likely to last to the final 4 at least.

The noise Willie made when they revealed the layered cake was hilarious. It's like the judges asked him to make a PB&J sandwich and everyone else to make a 3 star meal.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 15, 2014

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ded posted:

loving hell.

This made me very, very curious about savory ice cream. I thought the gelatin layer to separate hot from cold was clever as hell.

Also MC Aussie makes a loving mockery of the American version, in case the rest of the thread couldn't tell, yet.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I always hated these things on this show, this isn't Hell's Kitchen. Like who gives a poo poo if Leslie is a bad line cook or Willie doesn't know how to expedite.

Speaking as an irl line cook/expediter, I give a poo poo. Working the line means knowing how to do a specific set of things for a long shift and do them consistently well, which Leslie poo poo the bed on hard. Eggs are easy as gently caress and dude couldn't put two fried egg plates in a row that looked a.) the same or b.) good, e.g. not drenched in olive oil which has no place in diner-style egg preparations.

Now Willie, I get. If you've never expedited before you have no idea how much you're in control of and how specific you have to be and how discerning you must be. To be suddenly tasked with telling a hard working person "not good enough!" is overwhelming if you're a sweet dude like Willie clearly is. Daniel was up to the task, but Willie made the right choice taking Leslie off his station. I'd have told him to go home instead of putting him in charge of burning bread. His attitude is dogshit and has no place on a line, and it speaks to his inability to lead (you know, like everything else we've seen from him all season.)

Yes, it's a bullshit reality TV show, but if you can't cook you shouldn't be called a chef. The producers of the show know this. If you fail at the 101 you have no business telling anyone else what to do.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
It's kinda funny, the duality of how we react to people. Here you have Cutter, who gets frustrated with constantly being in the pressure test, most of the time having to bake, biting back at Joe's suggestion that he said Gordon had a bad palette. Not that I agree with the old "everyone has different taste" line, but normally I'd be chastising him for not keeping his mouth shut, and in this case, I understand it fully.

And then you have Leslie the villain back right on cue, and how everybody's just waiting for him to be a big baby when things don't go his way. Which is actually unfair, since he seems pretty docile and makes an attempt not to rustle feathers for the most part. But then when push comes to shove, he does just that, playing into their expectations and whining about the situation (not to mention laughing his rear end off at Cutter's suggestion that he go home.)

Really though, I think the person who annoys me the most right now is Elise. She doesn't seem to be good at anything, even her own supposed signature dishes, and it really feels more and more like her place in the competition was a pity vote. I know we're just burning through contestants right now, but I'm starting to feel pretty bad for Cutter, knowing he's likely eventually going to be one of them.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Speaking as an irl line cook/expediter, I give a poo poo. Working the line means knowing how to do a specific set of things for a long shift and do them consistently well, which Leslie poo poo the bed on hard. Eggs are easy as gently caress and dude couldn't put two fried egg plates in a row that looked a.) the same or b.) good, e.g. not drenched in olive oil which has no place in diner-style egg preparations.

Now Willie, I get. If you've never expedited before you have no idea how much you're in control of and how specific you have to be and how discerning you must be. To be suddenly tasked with telling a hard working person "not good enough!" is overwhelming if you're a sweet dude like Willie clearly is. Daniel was up to the task, but Willie made the right choice taking Leslie off his station. I'd have told him to go home instead of putting him in charge of burning bread. His attitude is dogshit and has no place on a line, and it speaks to his inability to lead (you know, like everything else we've seen from him all season.)

Yes, it's a bullshit reality TV show, but if you can't cook you shouldn't be called a chef. The producers of the show know this. If you fail at the 101 you have no business telling anyone else what to do.

I guess I don't really see why their competency at that job matters for what this competition is supposedly about. This one was particularly uninteresting because they didn't even have to come up with their own ideas for what to make or anything. We've learned Leslie doesn't have a future cooking eggs in a diner but that's not why he's there, dude's not looking for a job leading a brigade in a kitchen. He wants that cookbook deal and prize money. In the individual cooking competitions, which seem more relevant, he's been pretty consistently good. If I wanted to see people flounder in a restaurant environment I would watch Hell's Kitchen.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Am I the only one who feels sympathetic toward Leslie and feels like he's getting a poo poo edit, but getting really loving annoyed with Cutter?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Cutter is dumb and should've been cut a long time ago, but Dan Wu and Elise Hodor are even dumber.

I'm not sure Leslie is getting a bad edit really, it's clear he's good at cooking and baking and bad at teamwork and not being abrasive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I think he's getting a bad edit in the sense that we seem to see him more reacting to poo poo than actually instigating anything. Like when Daniel started to poo poo on him and he got all huffy. I don't think he goes out of his way to be a dick, he's probably just annoying and ended up being the one that everyone picked on.

I mean he's nowhere NEAR as bad as that racist obese beasts from philly (krissy, wasn't it?) last year and he seems much better at cooking than she ever was, too.