Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ISC has reportedly told the RTA that all communication between the groups is to be done via attorneys.

Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Excellent news for the staff and partners of ISC's law firm. I'd imagine several people are already counting out their Christmas bonuses in July.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CBJSprague24 posted:

ISC has reportedly told the RTA that all communication between the groups is to be done via attorneys.

Jesus Christ.

Fuckin :laffo:

I would more expect this from SMI.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I mean, if the "Let's just skip the amicable negotiations and go straight to war" approach isn't the most France thing ever, I don't know what is, but Holy God.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/489221026450927617/photo/1

So is it confirmed that BMB5150 is Dale's secret account?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jesus Christ.
:getin:

Some people just like to watch the world bu - DAMMIT JUAN, GO BACK TO THE ICS THREAD, THATS YOUR HOME NOW

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

drat that is a hell of a distance to go to slam Logano

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jesus Christ.

itshappenining.gif

Part of me is shocked how quick it took but not shocked ISC is is straight up gently caress your alliance to stealing even a dollar of our profits. I'm hoping this RTA starts bringing in sponsors that are competitors to the official *insert thing here* of NASCAR and challenging NASCAR on that.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I've noticed he is like me in watching old races but it's the 80s he mainly watches. I'm more of a 90s guy but makes sense for him to watch poo poo that was his childhood as does mine. Well we do share the same birthdate so maybe how the stars and poo poo line up on October 10th could be something.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 16, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
joon should watch that Dover race in '81 that Junie Donlavey won with Jody Ridley

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also that looks like a second-hand version, i wonder who junior's source for old race tapes is

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

There's a NASCAR souvenir store right by the DIS with piles of old races on VHS.

Here's Pockrass' story where I got the bit about the ISC/RTA squabble: http://t.co/fkpByDUFQP

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm curious to see how the paved short tracks would do in a post-NASCAR world. They've put all of their eggs in NASCAR's basket to help sell their product, and I don't think the braintrust is there to put things right on their own.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I'm curious to see how the paved short tracks would do in a post-NASCAR world. They've put all of their eggs in NASCAR's basket to help sell their product, and I don't think the braintrust is there to put things right on their own.

USAC Silver Crown is still very much a thing, and it appears that places like Gateway and Pikes Peak were well attended.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Yeah........no.

Most of the short tracks seem to rise/fall with NASCAR, whether it be adapting NASCAR procedures, Weekly series sanctioning, talking about NASCAR races while there, etc. poo poo, find me someone, anyone that runs a 3 or 43 car in latemodels, thundercars, anything, that doesnt have the Earnhardt or Petty scheme to it.

It seems like short-track pavement fans are NASCAR fans and tie their short-track identity to that, while dirt fans couldn't give two shits and have their own, insulated culture.

Oh, and an obligatory gently caress USAC. Are they still running their CoT in Silver Crown?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

We need to get Junyer to do the goon thing and hang out in Cytube. He strikes me as the type of guy that would shoot the poo poo with random dudes online watching old racing. :getin:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Yeah........no.

Most of the short tracks seem to rise/fall with NASCAR, whether it be adapting NASCAR procedures, Weekly series sanctioning, talking about NASCAR races while there, etc. poo poo, find me someone, anyone that runs a 3 or 43 car in latemodels, thundercars, anything, that doesnt have the Earnhardt or Petty scheme to it.

It seems like short-track pavement fans are NASCAR fans and tie their short-track identity to that, while dirt fans couldn't give two shits and have their own, insulated culture.

Oh, and an obligatory gently caress USAC. Are they still running their CoT in Silver Crown?

The local track near me dropped their NASCAR association years ago because they weren't getting anything out of it supposedly. They've been fine from what I can tell. The big boy modified series doesn't go there anymore since they aren't NASCAR sanctioned but there are plenty of others touring series that roll through.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Nascar weekly sanctioning as-is works for lazy promoters.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

CBJSprague24 posted:

We need to get Junyer to do the goon thing and hang out in Cytube. He strikes me as the type of guy that would shoot the poo poo with random dudes online watching old racing. :getin:

This would rule, providing folks don't turn into total :spergin: over it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

Thanks for the input Viking "nascar shouldn't run short tracks" Skull.

more like Viking "Nationwide shouldn't be a road course series" Skull

also eagerly awaiting the union busting to commence

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

FuzzySkinner posted:

USAC Silver Crown is still very much a thing, and it appears that places like Gateway and Pikes Peak were well attended.

Gateway and Pikes Peak went bankrupt.

VikingSkull posted:

more like Viking "Nationwide shouldn't be a road course series" Skull

Ret-conning already I see.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

For reference this is what the rumblings were like the last time an "RTA" like organization almosthappened:

quote:

Now, in the mid '90s, there was undercurrent talk in the NASCAR garages that a CART-like organization of powerful team owners might arise, to take advantage of an upheaval in track ownership and demand higher purses.

Standing under umbrellas in the rain at Talladega one weekend, in an otherwise deserted garage area, one powerful team owner had posed an intriguing question to me privately.

"How much would you pay for NASCAR right now?" he asked, amid rumors that giant corporations such as Rupert Murdoch's NewsCorp, or even Disney, might be interested in buying.

"You mean if I were Murdoch? Oh, $2 billion, $3 billion, I don't know," I said.

"Now then," and here the owner pointed to the haulers of NASCAR's top six or seven teams, "if those rigs were suddenly gone, those teams were out, how much would you pay for NASCAR?"

"Oh," I mused, "about $1.99."

"Exactly," he said, and walked away in the rain.

The point was, without its major teams and stars, NASCAR would be worthless. This came precariously close to the thinking that had started CART.

What had started the NASCAR rumblings, in parallel to the Indy car conflict, were the activities of O. Bruton Smith. A longtime France family rival, Smith was chairman of Speedway Motorsports Inc., a track conglomerate he'd taken to Wall Street as a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange.

The France family, which owned NASCAR outright and controlled International Speedway Corp., another track conglomerate, was watching Smith closely as he gobbled up tracks with built-in NASCAR race dates. He already owned the tracks at Charlotte and Atlanta, bought existing tracks such as Las Vegas and Bristol, and planned to build new ones, his crown jewel-in-progress being Texas Motor Speedway.

Smith was acquiring tracks so fast, and had disagreed with the Frances so much for so long over how NASCAR should be run, that there was much conjecture that he might start a rival stock-car series.

Then Smith, not yet able to get a Cup race scheduled for his yet-to-open Texas track, hinted that he might just run a non-sanctioned or "outlaw" race, after the NASCAR season was over, with an enormous purse.

That got the attention of the NASCAR owners, and that in turn fueled rumblings of a CART-type council of team owners to sell their services to the highest-bidding series.

Amidst all this, Bill France Jr., second czar in the NASCAR dynasty, publicly postured himself as neutral in the Indy car conflict

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?id=5195237

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 16, 2014

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

The only thing that surprises me about this RTA thing heating up is that it didn't happen sooner.

If Big Bill France were in charge, it would've been squashed before we ever heard about it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LASTCAR posted:

If Big Bill France were in charge, it would've been squashed before we ever heard about it.

Big Bill France would already be in jail if he was running NASCAR 2014 like he did back then, ha.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

LASTCAR posted:

The only thing that surprises me about this RTA thing heating up is that it didn't happen sooner.

If either Bill France were in charge, the sport wouldn't be run based on whatever bong-rip fueled ideas Brian had on any given day.

I don't think the RTA is going to go CART, but they can use that as a nuclear option to try to get NASCAR back on track.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Harveygod posted:

If either Bill France were in charge, the sport wouldn't be run based on whatever bong-rip fueled ideas Brian had on any given day.

I don't think the RTA is going to go CART, but they can use that as a nuclear option to try to get NASCAR back on track.

You also wouldn't be seeing a lot of the tracks go under in the way we've seen them go under.

Bill France Jr. told Brian something to the effect of "We've won. Don't do anything to damage what we have" apparently before he passed away.

Welp.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

FuzzySkinner posted:

You also wouldn't be seeing a lot of the tracks go under in the way we've seen them go under.

Bill France Jr. told Brian something to the effect of "We've won. Don't do anything to damage what we have" apparently before he passed away.

Welp.

Sadly Brian heard. "We've won. Don't do anything. Damage what we have too."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

For the second week in a row, KBM's 51 truck has been penalized and fined for post-race rules violations:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Can anyone name the last time motorsports owners formed anything that made them more successful than they were prior to organizing? Or does it always end in tears?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Honestly I hope this works for them because if there's anything Hendrick/Ganassi/Penske/Roush need it's more money.

I always root for the little guy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is likely to be the only entertaining thing about NASCAR for the near future so I'm all for it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

FuzzySkinner posted:

Welp.

He also said "you're your own grandpa, Brian."

Makes u think.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Anybody been to Eldora for Trucks? Need advice on tickets, parking, how early to get there, etc. I'd be coming from Dayton.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

CBJSprague24 posted:

Anybody been to Eldora for Trucks? Need advice on tickets, parking, how early to get there, etc. I'd be coming from Dayton.

General admission, just do the gen lot across the street but be prepared to wait an hour+ to get out, get there at least 2 hours early, if not before. Next time I go, i'm just gonna plan to camp overnight, I didn't get back home until 3 AM and had to get up to work at 6. :unsmigghh:

Bring chairs, etc. They do run a couple of events like the Eldora Late models prior to / in between the truck heats. My friend and I got there a little late because I was coming from Indy, him from Cincy, so we had to sit right down at the fence in turn 4. There's not really a bad seat in the place though:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 17, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Thanks, dev. I figured you were the one to ask. The angle in your pics reminds me a lot of the one I had at IRP the one time I went there.

Is it worth going, or something that's better experienced on TV given the traffic and gently caress-all remoteness of the track?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Honestly I hope this works for them because if there's anything Hendrick/Ganassi/Penske/Roush need it's more money.

I always root for the little guy.

Because you know..smaller teams sure are thriving right now.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is likely to be the only entertaining thing about NASCAR for the near future so I'm all for it.

Yup.

I hope Brian France is out of power after all of this. Will all be worth it.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

CBJSprague24 posted:

Thanks, dev. I figured you were the one to ask. The angle in your pics reminds me a lot of the one I had at IRP the one time I went there.

Is it worth going, or something that's better experienced on TV given the traffic and gently caress-all remoteness of the track?

If you've never gone to a dirt race like this before, do everything devmd said but also be drat sure to bring some sunglasses/goggles if ya got em, and a bandana for the dust. When I was there for the 410s and midgets place got very, very badly dusty and the smart folks brought those items. I liken it to being in the middle of the noisiest sandstorm on earth

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

If you've never gone to a dirt race like this before, do everything devmd said but also be drat sure to bring some sunglasses/goggles if ya got em, and a bandana for the dust. When I was there for the 410s and midgets place got very, very badly dusty and the smart folks brought those items. I liken it to being in the middle of the noisiest sandstorm on earth

Real men eat the dirt and enjoy the feeling of it being in their eyes, Step the gently caress up man.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Personperson14 posted:

Real men eat the dirt and enjoy the feeling of it being in their eyes, Step the gently caress up man.

poo poo got in my beer man :rubshands:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I think it's bad rear end you get to race DuQuin and Springfield honestly. So much history at those places.

ARCA has the best schedule in stock car racing IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think it's bad rear end you get to race DuQuin and Springfield honestly. So much history at those places.

ARCA has the best schedule in stock car racing IMO.

Scrub tier tracks, those two

• Locked thread