Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Twee as gently caress posted:

Am I the only one who feels sympathetic toward Leslie and feels like he's getting a poo poo edit, but getting really loving annoyed with Cutter?

I think they're trying to give Leslie a villain edit but he comes across more as an annoying doofus. I wouldn't want be friends with him, but he doesn't actually come across as a bad guy. Passive aggressive, maybe, but not worth any strong feelings.

I don't care about Cutter, but I really felt like he was on the receiving end of a completely manufactured confrontation this episode. The way the "conversation" flowed made me think that it was a lot more heavily edited than normal. And it made Joe and the rest of the judges seem more like the colossal assholes in the confrontation than Cutter.

I mean he's nowhere NEAR as bad as that racist obese beasts from philly (krissy, wasn't it?) last year and he seems much better at cooking than she ever was, too.

"Krissi is up for elimination again. Better break out another Italian themed pressure test so she can look passable."

I would have felt that Krissi was just getting a really bad edit last season if it wasn't for people finding her stuff from outside of Masterchef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Cutter made himself look like a moron(regardless of any edit) last night because he argued and tried to say the cake wasn't too sweet. Then Joe kind of lobbed him a softball by saying "Well if you think Gordon's palette is poo poo...". I'm certain that was meant as kind of a half-joke, and Cutter was supposed to laugh it off and explain how that isn't what he meant at all, etc. Instead he got all pissed off at Joe and made a whole thing out of it.

All of this was pretty straightforward, I'm not sure where the editing would have come in. But really it all starts when you argue and disagree with the judges. Its never gone well for any contestant in any reality show ever.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 15, 2014

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Basebf555 posted:

Cutter made himself look like a moron(regardless of any edit) last night because he argued and tried to say the cake wasn't too sweet. Then Joe kind of lobbed him a softball by saying "Well if you think Gordon's palette is poo poo...". I'm certain that was meant as kind of a half-joke, and Cutter was supposed to laugh it off and explain how that isn't what he meant at all, etc. Instead he got all pissed off at Joe and made a whole thing out of it.

All of this was pretty straightforward, I'm not sure where the editing would have come in.

I don't think that Joe was really putting any words in his mouth, Cutter had spent like two minutes arguing with Graham and saying that basically Ramsay (and he) were wrong and the cake was not too sweet, so I think 'You think that Gordon has a poo poo palate?' is a fair enough question

Basebf555 posted:

But really it all starts when you argue and disagree with the judges. Its never gone well for any contestant in any reality show ever.

When Gordon fuckin Ramsay tells you your cake is too sweet, you say 'I'm sorry' and you shut the gently caress up, you don't try to argue that it's actually not too sweet at all.

Only caveat is if he tells you it's too spicy, then you know it's just mild enough

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

When Gordon fuckin Ramsay tells you your cake is too sweet, you say 'I'm sorry' and you shut the gently caress up, you don't try to argue that it's actually not too sweet at all.

I love it when that sort of thing crops up on these kinds of shows.

Contestant: "I think the cake tasted fine, and that we just have differing opinions."
Judge: "Unfortunately for you, my opinion is the one that matters."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I mean just look at Cutters cake. That thing is like equal parts frosting and cake. C'mon.

Also, Hulu commenters love Courtney.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Honestly it was Graham's response that was the most surprising to me. You expect it from Joe but Graham getting visibly annoyed that Cutter was speaking to over him repeatedly really showed how tense the situation actually was.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Everyone should watch Masterchef Australia. Its really the better show and even prefer their judges over Gordon, Joe, and Graham.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Asiina posted:

Honestly it was Graham's response that was the most surprising to me. You expect it from Joe but Graham getting visibly annoyed that Cutter was speaking to over him repeatedly really showed how tense the situation actually was.

That was what was getting to me. They kept saying that Cutter was interrupting them when he wasn't. Joe or whoever would complete a sentence, Cutter would start to respond, and then he'd get yelled at for "interrupting" them. And that was with the strange, abrupt editing of that sequence.

From my perspective it was:

"This is too sweet."

"Well, what exactly is too sweet so I don't do it again?"

"Oh, you think you know better than me?"

"No, I was-"

"How dare you interrupt him!"

Cut away to other contestant: "He was completely disrespectful."

bobby2times posted:

Everyone should watch Masterchef Australia. Its really the better show and even prefer their judges over Gordon, Joe, and Graham.

It's similarly manufactured, but it's manufactured in a way that's pretty much all positive which at least gives the show a happier tone. I've watched a few other countries' Masterchef shows and Australia is the only one that I'd actually recommend to people; the other ones are much closer to the US in tone.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 15, 2014

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

That was what was getting to me. They kept saying that Cutter was interrupting them when he wasn't. Joe or whoever would complete a sentence, Cutter would start to respond, and then he'd get yelled at for "interrupting" them. And that was with the strange, abrupt editing of that sequence.

From my perspective it was:

"This is too sweet."

"Well, what exactly is too sweet so I don't do it again?"

"Oh, you think you know better than me?"

"No, I was-"

"How dare you interrupt him!"

Cut away to other contestant: "He was completely disrespectful."

It's similarly manufactured, but it's manufactured in a way that's pretty much all positive which at least gives the show a happier tone. I've watched a few other countries' Masterchef shows and Australia is the only one that I'd actually recommend to people; the other ones are much closer to the US in tone.

Watch it again. Graham tries several times to talk and Cutter speaks right over him half way through his sentence. He also does it with Joe, but him and Graham are talking at the same time multiple times when Graham started speaking first.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Asiina posted:

Watch it again. Graham tries several times to talk and Cutter speaks right over him half way through his sentence. He also does it with Joe, but him and Graham are talking at the same time multiple times when Graham started speaking first.

Also there's no way in hell you can watch that scene and think that Cutter was just innocently asking what exactly is too sweet so he can do it better next time. He had a nasty attitude and no amount of backpedaling or editing could cover that up.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Cutter got nasty, no argument there, but I understand why considering he's been on the chopping block several times now, rarely from his own doing, and almost every time has been some kind of baking challenge where they zero in on the fact that he sucks at baking. Plus you've got Leslie, arguably the reason the team lost, laughing his rear end off at the idea that he was to blame, and being told his cake was the best (which, true or not, has to be annoying.)

If this were his first pressure test and he was throwing a tantrum about having to bake on a show called Masterchef, then sure. But this constant barrage of other contestants putting him in that position and having to do the one thing he isn't great at cooking, basically having to prove himself time and time again, has to be wearing on him. Not saying it's totally justified, just saying I understand.

If you buy into the suggestion that Krissi kept getting Italian challenges to throw her softballs, you might also suggest that Cutter is currently in the role of the sacrificial lamb here, constantly getting singled out as the fall guy in a baking challenge (not that they don't do way too much dessert in the first place.)

And like I said, it's hard not to kinda root for the guy when he's fighting back so hard, compared to contestants like Elise, who have done next to nothing to prove themselves.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I really wish we had seen the auditions now, because I want to see was Elise had made to get an apron. I mean, she was having trouble putting together a sandwich.

And yet, for some reason, I still fell sympathetic towards her.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
I'm not that fond of Cutter, and he's really a middle of the pack cook, but he's from Texas, and his cake looked like every other red velvet cake I've seen from Texan home bakers. Both my mother and grandmother frost the poo poo out of their cakes, and their justification is that the sweet is gonna be cut with the half gallon of coffee you're going to drink while eating it. I can't really give my opinion on it, though, since I don't particularly like cream cheese.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lol yeah I forgot about Elise squashing all those clubs while cutting.

Yo, you don't have to apply 500 PSI of downward force to hold a sandwich in place while cutting it in half, hope this helps. Jesus Christ how do you gently caress this up.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
but you don't understand. A sandwich has lettuce, a tomato, some bacon, cheese, some more lettuce, and mayonnaise It's loving HARD.

I'm surprised she just didn't quit the show just then. They ask too much.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm hoping for a true short order cook challenge.

"Gimme two chicks on a raft, wreck the eggs, and a bowl of cold mud!"

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm hoping for a true short order cook challenge.

"Gimme two chicks on a raft, wreck the eggs, and a bowl of cold mud!"

Is that chicken and waffles, scrambled eggs, and chocolate milk?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Between last nite and Ahran a few weeks back I think I just realized its Joe getting the villain edit.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

That's as it should be.

I wonder if they've been doing some focus groups on the hosts and decided that they'd like Graham more if he got skinny and would really like for everyone to take the piss out of Joe.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

deadicons posted:

Is that chicken and waffles, scrambled eggs, and chocolate milk?

Scrabled eggs on toast and a bowl of chocolate ice cream. They were just the most fun diner lingo things I could think of. My all time favorote is still "scrape the griddle" for hash.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Speaking as an irl line cook/expediter, I give a poo poo. Working the line means knowing how to do a specific set of things for a long shift and do them consistently well, which Leslie poo poo the bed on hard. Eggs are easy as gently caress and dude couldn't put two fried egg plates in a row that looked a.) the same or b.) good, e.g. not drenched in olive oil which has no place in diner-style egg preparations.

Now Willie, I get. If you've never expedited before you have no idea how much you're in control of and how specific you have to be and how discerning you must be. To be suddenly tasked with telling a hard working person "not good enough!" is overwhelming if you're a sweet dude like Willie clearly is. Daniel was up to the task, but Willie made the right choice taking Leslie off his station. I'd have told him to go home instead of putting him in charge of burning bread. His attitude is dogshit and has no place on a line, and it speaks to his inability to lead (you know, like everything else we've seen from him all season.)

Yes, it's a bullshit reality TV show, but if you can't cook you shouldn't be called a chef. The producers of the show know this. If you fail at the 101 you have no business telling anyone else what to do.

I still don't understand how any of these skills are required to write a cookbook?

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Elise is infuriating in her mediocrity.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Grin and Tonic posted:

Elise is infuriating in her smug mediocrity.

ftfy

I really hope they drop her dead weight soon, she deserves to be there less than anyone else that we've seen aside from maybe Cutter and we keep getting her talking about how she doesn't deserve to be in a pressure test because she's a special snowflake, a little humility goes a long way. Her little thing after her and Francis dodged one and she was like at least we were creative. And who really can't put a sandwich together?

:fuckoff:

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
The thing that's annoying me the most lately is how they emphasize " at least one competitor is going home" every challenge but still have scenarios where a bad dish "survives" because someone else happened to gently caress up a bit more. Cutter should have been dumped two weeks in a row now.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Random Stranger posted:

I would have felt that Krissi was just getting a really bad edit last season if it wasn't for people finding her stuff from outside of Masterchef.

oh God I completely forgot about Krissi. My favorite moment of hers was the family reunion episode, and no-one came for her. The judges explanation "Your son was... busy... with school... stuff."

Haha you can hire her to cater a meal for you look at these amazing dishes
http://rotundchef.yolasite.com/

look at this amazing ummmm brown thing she can make for you
http://i.imgur.com/ffzYvsw.jpg

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

Bob Morales posted:

Also, Hulu commenters love Courtney.

It's funny, because the men are acting like they wouldn't drop literally everything in their lives just for a chance to gently caress her, and the only woman agreeing with them looks like the type to complain about being unable to drop her "baby weight" for the next twenty years.

Courtney is many things, but ugly is not one of them. It's like when Cutter tried to poo poo on Leslie for being a "one-trick pony;" first, he's clearly not, and second, Cutter you don't even have any tricks. Who are you to talk?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

TrekBek posted:

Courtney is many things, but ugly is not one of them.

Its tragic that you lost your sight in that horrific accident, but in the next decade we will hopefully have the technology to restore it so that you can finally be aware of just how hideous Courtney appears. Sure, part of it is her odious personality, the very memory of which taints forever not just her features, but the face of every human you will ever know. Granted, another element is the twisted and vacant expressions she adopts, as if driven by palsied madness brought on by nightmare visions of Satan's sulfurous pits. Disregarding these factors, though, from a sheer physical standpoint her face closely resembles some mutated cross between a neon fish and my grandfather's wood splitting maul.

Its really bad.

OmegaBR posted:

Cutter got nasty, no argument there, but I understand why considering he's been on the chopping block several times now, rarely from his own doing, and almost every time has been some kind of baking challenge where they zero in on the fact that he sucks at baking. Plus you've got Leslie, arguably the reason the team lost, laughing his rear end off at the idea that he was to blame, and being told his cake was the best (which, true or not, has to be annoying.

It is pretty bullshit that so many of these pressure tests have been baking and desserts.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Actually she's attractive and is playing her tv role very well.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

LeJackal posted:

Its tragic that you lost your sight in that horrific accident, but in the next decade we will hopefully have the technology to restore it so that you can finally be aware of just how hideous Courtney appears. Sure, part of it is her odious personality, the very memory of which taints forever not just her features, but the face of every human you will ever know. Granted, another element is the twisted and vacant expressions she adopts, as if driven by palsied madness brought on by nightmare visions of Satan's sulfurous pits. Disregarding these factors, though, from a sheer physical standpoint her face closely resembles some mutated cross between a neon fish and my grandfather's wood splitting maul.

:stare:

Did Courtney break up your parents' marriage or something?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

smg77 posted:

:stare:

Did Courtney break up your parents' marriage or something?

Every breath she takes kills a little piece of humanity's capacity for love and nobility.

Forever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TrekBek posted:

It's funny, because the men are acting like they wouldn't drop literally everything in their lives just for a chance to gently caress her, and the only woman agreeing with them looks like the type to complain about being unable to drop her "baby weight" for the next twenty years.

You sure are able to divine a lot of information from internet comments. How can I learn your ways?

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

LeJackal posted:

That's sure a lot of words just to say, "I really wanna bone her."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LeJackal posted:

Its really bad.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a funny post.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Rudager posted:

I still don't understand how any of these skills are required to write a cookbook?

Fair point, honestly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Courtney is a reasonably attractive woman with some positive and some negative features. If she wasn't on your T.V. screen she wouldn't stand out as particularly ugly or particularly hot, she'd walk right by you on the street without being noticed. What's happening with her is combination of the internet being terrible, and the way the producers are portraying her(constant close ups of her legs and shoes, etc.).

She's far from the first reality show contestant to pose a certain way when standing on set in front of the cameras, that can't be the cause of all the hate.

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.
Cutter had a bad attitude but the judges were so obnoxious in how prissily outraged they became that he would DARE talk back to them. Maybe it's just because it seems very obvious that Cutter was cracking under the significant pressure of the competition, all the baking challenges and the embarrassment of failure etc. and they were acting more like he seriously thought he knew better than them.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Honestly, I'd rather eat the cake with the most frosting between layers. :btroll:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
It's like waiting for Cutter to crack and eventually, finally, get eliminated is the current narrative while they weed out some of the ancillary cooks like Dan and probably Elise.

Back to HK, I still can't believe Joy quit like that.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Look at all the fake Secret Service agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

OmegaBR posted:

Back to HK, I still can't believe Joy quit like that.

That is the MOST.

Dignitaries...or their families.