Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Blasmeister posted:

With Barrett dead it's all on Adrian Neville now. :ohdear:

And Adam Rose.

Come on Adrian... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

As noted, WWE's next NBC special will air on Sunday, August 3rd and feature highlights from WrestleMania XXX. WWE issued a press release today on the special and did not mention Daniel Bryan, who won 2 matches and the WWE World Heavyweight Title that night. The one-hour special will focus on The Rock, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Bray Wyatt vs. John Cena and Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker.

:laffo:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Wow why is the WWE burying Daniel Bryan?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

No :rolleyes: big enough

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Watch them edit down Bray Wyatt's entrance for time.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Delsaber posted:

Watch them edit down Bray Wyatt's entrance for time.

probably? those NBC specials are very heavily edited because they're on an incredibly short runtime. I don't really know why they do them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sex Robot posted:

And Adam Rose.

Come on Adrian... :smith:

Adam Rose is South African.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

What the gently caress

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

And WWE wonders why people only care about their old stars and John Cena.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

Cardboard Box posted:

probably? those NBC specials are very heavily edited because they're on an incredibly short runtime. I don't really know why they do them.

How else will people that don't watch wrestling learn of the hot new WWE stars such as The Rock, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, John Cena, Brock Lesnar, and The Undertaker?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

If Bryan's career isn't over, I can't loving wait til he comes back because it sounds like we'll have a repeat of this year on our hands. WWE seriously didn't learn from the crowd openly making GBS threads on their product for the months leading to Mania? It's like they already want people to forget about him and that won't happen anytime soon.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

bradzilla posted:

If Bryan's career isn't over, I can't loving wait til he comes back because it sounds like we'll have a repeat of this year on our hands. WWE seriously didn't learn from the crowd openly making GBS threads on their product for the months leading to Mania? It's like they already want people to forget about him and that won't happen anytime soon.

Everyone already did, now people just want to know when this C.P. Munk guy is gonna show up.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bradzilla posted:

Daniel Bryan is a flash in the pan. The year long Yes chants and the open making GBS threads on their ideas only goes on to prove this because....

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Daniel Bryan is a flash in the pan. The year long Yes chants and the open making GBS threads on their ideas only goes on to prove this because....

...how dare he get injured while we're pushing him! :saddowns:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Daniel Bryan screwed Daniel Bryan, and he owes an apology to each and every one of you. (CM Punk does not because he didn't screw himself, Kane screwed him)

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

bradzilla posted:

This is going to be hilarious if they really try this when he gets back. Bryan got the biggest crowd response on Money in the Bank doing a random promo on the pre-show.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

bradzilla posted:

...how dare he get injured while we're pushing him! :saddowns:

Why can't he be more like John Cena, the Greatest WWE Champion Of All Time, who is able to heal from injuries quickly through completely natural and not illegal means?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
"So, Triple H, what do you think about your match at Wrestlemania 30?"

"I had the night off."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Daniel Bryan posted:

"So, Triple H, what do you think about your match at Wrestlemania 30?"

"I had the night off."

... "But I still went over."

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Roman Reigns posted:

Why can't he be more like John Cena, the Greatest WWE Champion Of All Time, who is able to heal from injuries quickly through completely natural and not illegal means?

Hey buddy, it's 100% legal to open up the access hatch and take a welder and soldering iron in there, I don't see no laws that say that you can't improve performance on a Wrestle-o-Matic model 01.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The NBC special is watched by like a million and a half people, it barely matters and sometimes they leave basically the whole show off except one match. Who gives a poo poo?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

remember when they replaced Taker's theme with a Katy Perry song

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

The NBC special is watched by like a million and a half people, it barely matters and sometimes they leave basically the whole show off except one match. Who gives a poo poo?

You and that other guy that were breaking down quarter hours like it was your job?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Arguably, not mentioning your guy who may be so injured he never wrestles again in a press release isn't the end of the world, if you ask me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cunny mcalister posted:

You and that other guy that were breaking down quarter hours like it was your job?

Clearly not.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

No one gives a poo poo about the NBC show. It's more that I'm interested in how they'll try to bury himkeep him out of the main event if he does come back.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Finally, we can fire Zack Ryder, because we've found someone else for the bunny suit. Just don't let him shake his head around too much or he might break something.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

bradzilla posted:

No one gives a poo poo about the NBC show. It's more that I'm interested in how they'll try to bury himkeep him out of the main event if he does come back.

Well. Evaluate what you see on Raw and tell me what's going to happen.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Clearly not.

Can I ask the difference then? Why is it that 80 people that represent X people going to bed during a show is more important than the promotional material put forth by the company?

I find concern that they need to rely so much on the past in every segment mentioned. I understand the need to have familiar faces in pieces like this, but if it goes as listed the only up-and-coming star to be featured will be shown in a losing effort. It comes off as an infomercial for the past instead of the present.

And as I type it out, I apologize. It's an ad for the network this year, not the product itself.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

oatgan posted:

that was actually awesome

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bradzilla posted:

I thought WWE got it right, though. They strung out the build to the point where people were frothing at the mouth for Bryan to win. Then the feud with Kane looked like the first step in a long program against The Authority. Thankfully they were smart enough to have all the Shield guys looking strong enough for main event status to cover while Bryan's out on injury.

But yeah, they really did waffle around on Bryan up until the night after the rumble.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tidbit on Yoshi Tatsu from the Observer in the middle of his piece on the KENTA signing:

quote:

PYoshi Tatsu had a good look, could wrestle very well, and learned English. But because he didn’t speak English like an American, he was portrayed as a child-like character, a role that limited him to prelims and eventually to nobody caring about him. He wasted the prime of his career and his best earning years making one-third of what he was already making when he left Japan. Unlike KENTA, he also had decent size.
:smith:

That's what sucks, people have talked about how KENTA knows basic English and is eager to learn more, but it ain't going to matter as long as he has a "funny accent".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cunny mcalister posted:

Can I ask the difference then? Why is it that 80 people that represent X people going to bed during a show is more important than the promotional material put forth by the company?

I find concern that they need to rely so much on the past in every segment mentioned. I understand the need to have familiar faces in pieces like this, but if it goes as listed the only up-and-coming star to be featured will be shown in a losing effort. It comes off as an infomercial for the past instead of the present.

And as I type it out, I apologize. It's an ad for the network this year, not the product itself.

Well when you have proper sampling it isn't a question of 80 people going to bed. Even there TV ratings don't matter that much, last year it was just one of the only data points that could be analyzed because it was actually available and people. They also tend to be the thing people bring up more than buyrates which to me were more important.

In this case Bryan is injured and they have Summerslam to promote, so I don't really have a problem with putting their focus on the two Summerslam main eventers and then a bunch of big stars that probably appeal to NBC. It's an hour of video packages airing in front of what I think is usually less than half of Raw's weekly viewership, I don't think it's something that really shows what WWE's future direction is and if it does if it actually matters in influencing viewers. I seriously think Smackdown is viewed by more people than these specials. In the end I don't really see any harm in putting the focus of the special on your SS main eventers (and if HHH vs Reigns hasn't been pushed back not bringing up that HHH has lost every match this year.)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cunny mcalister posted:

:lol:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

oatgan posted:

And one year it was a Johnny Cash song. What other pop music have they used to promote his matches?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Short version: Cesaro's big face turn is basically on hold because now Reigns is going to be the new babyface star. They'll turn him face eventually but it's basically "eh, whenever" once Reigns' push to the top is done.

quote:

If you’re wondering why Cesaro has been kept as a heel and has cooled off so much even with Heyman as manager, it’s been somewhat intentional. Obviously, as noted in plans on who was going to be pushed, Cesaro was slated to be on the verge of a major face push late this summer. The decision was made, and this was before Bryan went down, that Reigns would be getting the big focused face push to the top with Cena, Bryan and Sheamus (who has also cooled down greatly because the way they book their secondary champions almost inherently does so) as the key guys. Cesaro is slated for a face push, but no time soon. The idea is “when we need it,” which would likely be after the big push for Reigns has already fully established him and they need the next rising star. The danger is Cesaro may have cooled off by that point, and really already has. It’s not like if they turn him and push him he doesn’t get over, but whether he reaches the level he could have had they taken advantage of the timing and momentum he had a few months ago, that’s the question.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

And there's the real big problem: why only push one guy at a time?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Sockser posted:

And there's the real big problem: why only push one guy at a time?

Well why would we ever need more than one? I mean what could possibly go wrong? :downs:

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Sockser posted:

Adam Rose is South African.

I learned something new today :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Suben posted:

Well why would we ever need more than one? I mean what could possibly go wrong? :downs:

See, this is the type of forward thinking that keeps you from working in the WWE, Suben :colbert:

• Locked thread