Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

AI Love You is not that great and his art was still fairly rough back then.

Even early Negima is rough compared to UQ or late Negima. There is a nice comparison where he does a spread of the classroom at the start and end of Negima and the differences are pretty interesting to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

AI Love You is not that great and his art was still fairly rough back then.

The art is another good point. If you enjoy watching someone's art style and skill really develop over time, Love Hina and Negima are great for that. Comparing early vs. late in both of those is like night and day. I don't think we're likely to see the same development in UQ since he's already got his style pretty well hammered out. But even then he's still trying to do some new stuff, like more focus on smaller character details like muscle definition.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

I don't think we're likely to see the same development in UQ since he's already got his style pretty well hammered out.

Dude, it's still really early to make that call, I mean, if we're expecting this series to top out around 100 chapters, yeah, I can see that, but if it's gonna go for the long haul then I'd be downright shocked if his artstyle doesn't change oh so gradually.

Negima was not a bad looking series starting out, he had crazy huge crowd scenes with super detailed backgrounds from the getgo, those early chapters did not look bad at all. He simply shifted his style, which is something every artist does, they refine their technique, and they don't ever stop. I have no doubt in my mind that UQ Holder 300 chapters from now will make these early chapters look weak in comparison.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Negima was not a bad looking series starting out, he had crazy huge crowd scenes with super detailed backgrounds from the getgo, those early chapters did not look bad at all.
Scenes like the Mahora morning rush were mind-blowing when I first came across them back in the day.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Dude, it's still really early to make that call, I mean, if we're expecting this series to top out around 100 chapters, yeah, I can see that, but if it's gonna go for the long haul then I'd be downright shocked if his artstyle doesn't change oh so gradually.

Negima was not a bad looking series starting out, he had crazy huge crowd scenes with super detailed backgrounds from the getgo, those early chapters did not look bad at all. He simply shifted his style, which is something every artist does, they refine their technique, and they don't ever stop. I have no doubt in my mind that UQ Holder 300 chapters from now will make these early chapters look weak in comparison.

The action is already so fluid and easy to follow, its the exact opposite of Naruto. And it still retains that sense of speed! I am very happy with the art as it is now, but if it got better I wouldn't complain. :cheeky:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
That Fate so isn't Tertium.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silento posted:

The action is already so fluid and easy to follow, its the exact opposite of Naruto. And it still retains that sense of speed! I am very happy with the art as it is now, but if it got better I wouldn't complain. :cheeky:

Even back in the Chao fight, with all its actual teleportation well, time travel Negima maintains a better more fluid fight than Naruto. Also, I forgot how cool Chao was. I am glad I decided to go back and re-read.

Edit: Also, going by the family tree that we do get to see, Negi is Chao's Great Grandfather. That'd make Touta either her father or uncle.

:v: It doesn't actually matter, but man, Chao's just really funny.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 17, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I got around to rereading Negima a month or two ago, and I'd completely forgotten how funny Rakan training Negi was.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Eternal Negi Fever is always one of the highlights of my rereads.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Especially the part where he uses it against Negi. What a great scene

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
That and his demonstration of Magia Erebea. Also the Aegis Battleship. Really just all of it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Rakan also gave us a scene of glorious Manservice. And fun interactions with Chisame.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is there an easy legal way to read Negima these days that doesn't involve buying like 50 tiny paperbacks and then having to figure out what to do with them?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Artists (usually) get better with more practice, but writers frequently do not. UQH has great art, especially during fight scenes, but the most impressive aspect is that Akamatsu seems to have actually learned from his experiences and put in effort at improving his writing. You don't become a better writer by doing the same old poo poo over and over, as so many shounen mangaka have so amply demonstrated. UQH is the result of years of Akamatsu's hard work at honing his craft on top of the awful grind of the mangaka lifestyle, and it shows.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Rand Brittain posted:

Is there an easy legal way to read Negima these days that doesn't involve buying like 50 tiny paperbacks and then having to figure out what to do with them?

They're all released/releasing in omnibus formats. That's $20 for a triple volume, meaning 13 (I think) for the whole series.

They're also $11 each (again, for the omnibuses) on Amazon if you'd prefer them on the Kindle.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
And if you're looking to save a little money you could probably skip that first omnibus.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'd say the first omnibus is worth it for the introduction to Eva and the first real battle in Negima, even if it is obviously nowhere near the scale of later battles.

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams
They're also available digitally on Kindle/Nook/Play/iEverything, at least through about Vol. 28 or so - Kodansha should have it all up by the end of August.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Allarion posted:

I'd say the first omnibus is worth it for the introduction to Eva and the first real battle in Negima, even if it is obviously nowhere near the scale of later battles.

This is true. Disregarding the quality of the first two volumes, volume three was the start of fights and the death of love hina 2.0.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Rand Brittain posted:

Skychrono posted:

They're all released/releasing in omnibus formats. That's $20 for a triple volume, meaning 13 (I think) for the whole series.

They're also $11 each (again, for the omnibuses) on Amazon if you'd prefer them on the Kindle.

Yeah, there's 38 volumes (most of which I own because the omnibuses hadn't come out yet), so 3 volumes to an omnibus means 13 volumes. The earlier volumes had some dodgy translations, but the rereleased omnibuses have the Nibley twins working on them, and their translation of the later volumes a little before Kodansha decided to release the volumes in English themselves via an American subsidiary instead of going through Del Rey have been pretty good.

Looking through my collection, it seems like I never picked up the last volume of Negima, nor Volume 36, along with the parts of the series that cover the intro to the Kyoto arc before the final confrontation there, nor the stuff before the Festival arc kicked off in earnest or the Festival Arc stuff before the tournament kicks off. Might want to fix that, probably by picking up the second omnibus or something. Probably held off of getting them because I didn't like the harem bullshit that was going on during that part of the manga. Held off of the last volume for the same reason, even if that means that I don't have the ending of the series. Oh well, maybe I'll decide to get it later or something...

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Did anyone point out the similarities between Chaos' magic tattoos that turn her soul into magical power, and Magica Erebea, which consumes the soul to enhance one's powers?

Hmmm

Also, I just got past the Rakan fight, and man, i forgot how funny it was when he was like 'FINAL ATTACK' and then no that wasn't his final attack. Wait, a new final attack? Nope, it was a trick. Ah, the true final attack!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KittyEmpress posted:

Did anyone point out the similarities between Chaos' magic tattoos that turn her soul into magical power, and Magica Erebea, which consumes the soul to enhance one's powers?

I thought that they explicitly mentioned that at one point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Hmmm

Also, I just got past the Rakan fight, and man, i forgot how funny it was when he was like 'FINAL ATTACK' and then no that wasn't his final attack. Wait, a new final attack? Nope, it was a trick. Ah, the true final attack!

The weird part is how magia erebea seems to be hereditary, but Chao didn't inherit it. I suspect that in her original timeline Negi remained human.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

PerrineClostermann posted:

I thought that they explicitly mentioned that at one point.

Not so far. They have mentioned that 'oh my god, Chao is from the magical world, which is Mars', but that's all that has been mentioned so far.

To be fair, my memory of the last 50 or so chapters of Negima is lacking. Really, everything past the Akira flashback I sort of forget (except things like Zazie)

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

KittyEmpress posted:

Not so far. They have mentioned that 'oh my god, Chao is from the magical world, which is Mars', but that's all that has been mentioned so far.

To be fair, my memory of the last 50 or so chapters of Negima is lacking. Really, everything past the Akira flashback I sort of forget (except things like Zazie)

They didn't even mention the magical world being on Mars when Chao showed up. I specifically remember going back when that was revealed and realizing how smart Chao's lie about being from Mars actually was. I think most people assumed she was saying she came from Mars cause, hey, time traveler. But to actually be from Mars because the magical world is over there, I think a lot of people assumed Akamatsu didn't plan that and it was a nice coincidence.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Robviously posted:

They didn't even mention the magical world being on Mars when Chao showed up. I specifically remember going back when that was revealed and realizing how smart Chao's lie about being from Mars actually was. I think most people assumed she was saying she came from Mars cause, hey, time traveler. But to actually be from Mars because the magical world is over there, I think a lot of people assumed Akamatsu didn't plan that and it was a nice coincidence.

No, but in the chapter where the 'reveal' of Mars being the Magical Country (or the other way around) Negi goes 'And doesn't something we all remember make it even more believable?' and then Setsuna goes 'Oh yeah! Chao Lingsen claimed she was from Mars! Wait, what does this mean?'

Edit:

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 18, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

No, but in the chapter where the 'reveal' of Mars being the Magical Country (or the other way around) Negi goes 'And doesn't something we all remember make it even more believable?' and then Setsuna goes 'Oh yeah! Chao Lingsen claimed she was from Mars! WAIT WHAT.'

I didn't remember that they outright acknowledged it. There we go then.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not sure whether I'd be more impressed by the story having been all planned out from the start or Akamatsu pretty much flying by the seat of his pants and still making something more coherent and internally consistent than basically the rest of the shounen genre.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well, the Mundus Magicus twist must have been planned at least as early as the first map of the world we got, considering how it's a modified map of Mars. Which is really clever, when you think about it. Did anyone figure it out early?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, the Mundus Magicus twist must have been planned at least as early as the first map of the world we got, considering how it's a modified map of Mars. Which is really clever, when you think about it. Did anyone figure it out early?

When did we get the first map? I don't think that was until the actual magical world arc started. Which would still be a long time to plan a twist, since the incident at the gate happens in... I think chapter 162? And the revelation of Mars was in 258. Which would mean, if he never took a break it would be a twist set up two years in advance. In reality, it was probably three and a half years at least.

But it's entirely possible that it had been planned from the beginning, at least in broad strokes.

Edit: Chao comes up again when discussing with Kurt about Mundus Magicus' inevitable doom. He makes a point of narrating that he understands that will happen partially because he knows Chao's future is, at least, very bad.

So yeah, Akamatsu either planned the Mars thing and Chao from the beginning, or looked back and was like 'man that's a loving great idea lets do it'.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 18, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A quick check makes chapter 190 as the one where we first see the map of the Magical World.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

chumbler posted:

I'm not sure whether I'd be more impressed by the story having been all planned out from the start or Akamatsu pretty much flying by the seat of his pants and still making something more coherent and internally consistent than basically the rest of the shounen genre.

It will never not be amazing that he decided the loving tournament matches by DICE ROLL.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

It will never not be amazing that he decided the loving tournament matches by DICE ROLL.

It will never not be amazing that he put two tournament arcs into the manga and neither was long or drawn out.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Robviously posted:

It will never not be amazing that he put two tournament arcs into the manga and neither was long or drawn out.

Boy people complained when they were going on though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The last few chapters of Negima are so disappointing, I am glad UQ Holder eventually came out. I still laugh at Chisame's ending though "Oh yeah, she became a total recluse, and doesn't ever leave her home now."

I do like the 15-20 chapters between the end of the magical world arc and the 'end' chapters. The return to light hearted comedy was actually kind of refreshing.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 19, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KittyEmpress posted:

I do like the 15-20 chapters between the end of the magical world arc and the 'end' chapters. The return to light hearted comedy was actually kind of refreshing.

It was almost nostalgic in a way.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

The last few chapters of Negima are so disappointing, I am glad UQ Holder eventually came out. I still laugh at Chisame's ending though "Oh yeah, she became a total recluse, and doesn't ever leave her home now."

I'm a fan of his daily life chapters - ignoring the fanservice and how well choreographed his fights are, the atmosphere of the worlds he creates is where he really shines

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

pinegala posted:

I'm a fan of his daily life chapters - ignoring the fanservice and how well choreographed his fights are, the atmosphere of the worlds he creates is where he really shines

Yeah, the slice of life chapters right before the end were really cool, and one of the major reasons why I got the penultimate volume.

But I mostly avoided buying the last volume because of the cliche harem shenanigans that the last bunch of chapters devolved into with the whole "seeking Negi's lips" thing from almost the entirety of 3-A, using their Pactios while Negi had his magic sealed... That and the terrible ending as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

New chapter up on crunchyroll. Karin continues to troll Kuroumaru and a familiar location appears. I want the new soon-to-be ally to be Colonel Sanders somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Christ Karin, give it a rest.

• Locked thread