Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Daniel Bryan posted:

3 years ago today.

This remains one of my favorite, most surreal and wonderful memories of WWE :allears:

Paulocaust posted:

John Cena is not a good wrestler.

Correct, he is a great wrestler.

Shine posted:

My girlfriend stopped watching wrestling before Kurt Angle debuted, and I want to show her some good Angle stuff, with the big "YOU SUCK" entrance, a heel promo with the usual boasting, and a great showcase match, preferably from after he shaved his head. Any suggestions? I also never watched PPV's back in the day, so holler if there are any hella good PPV matches I can catch on The WWE Network Which You Should All Purchase Today, It's A Great Value Like Netflex, But Better Maggle.

Chris Benoit vs Kurt Angle at Royal Rumble 2003 is probably the best wrestling match I have ever seen in my life (the LOSER of the match got a standing ovation from the crowd for God's sake). For added hilarity, watch the HHH/Steiner match that precedes it as it is probably one of the WORST wrestling matches I have ever seen in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I just watched this for the first time and goddam it's a fantastic match. Maybe just because it was my first Kurt Angle match, but I was blown away by the storytelling (a word I never really understood before that match) of the way they worked each other over. It made me mad all over again at how bad this year's UT match was.

Just watch one of the other Taker/Brock matches and pretend that was WM30. Especially their Hell in a Cell.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
John Cena the Undertaker

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Remember when loving Billy Gunn and Road Dogg held the tag titles in 2014? That was a lovely loving time for everyone involved.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

NienNunb posted:

Remember when loving Billy Gunn and Road Dogg held the tag titles in 2014? That was a lovely loving time for everyone involved.

Uh actually it was the best the tag division has been since the Attitude Era, if you listen to the commentary team

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NienNunb posted:

To be fair, it eventually lead to them trying to relive their glory years as enforcers for HHH and getting MURDERED by The Shield at Wrestlemania, which was absolutely perfect.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Supreme Allah posted:

Just watch one of the other Taker/Brock matches and pretend that was WM30. Especially their Hell in a Cell.

Watch Lesnar's entire first championship run, from F-5'ing The Rock, to beating the poo poo out of The Undertaker, to
1!
NOT LIKE THIS
2!
NOT LIKE THIS
3!
DAMNIT

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

birdlaw posted:

To be fair, that wasn't exactly on purpose. I'm sure they would have told a better story if Taker hadn't been knocked loopy in the first 5 minutes.

I'm not mad at anyone in particular, just mad it sucked. Like, if somehow everyone just skipped halloween one year.

Supreme Allah posted:

Great, which ones should I watch, keeping in mind I wouldn't touch a Bikertaker match with a dead dog's dick.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Sky Shadowing posted:

Was about to ask if Rusev had done something dumb, then read the headlines. Jesus, that's tragic :( .

I can't find anything by googling "wrestling news" and checking every site on the first page of results. What did Rusev do?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

rusev was on the malaysian air flight that was shot down

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Great, which ones should I watch, keeping in mind I wouldn't touch a Bikertaker match with a dead dog's dick.

You'll hate me for saying it, but Brock Lesnar vs Undertaker at No Mercy 2002 is their best match against each other but is also during Taker's Biker/American Badass phase. It's REALLY good though, and proof that a Hell in a Cell doesn't need crazy spots. It would have been a far better Wrestlemania match than the one they ended up having (as Supreme Allah says).

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Apple Craft posted:

I can't find anything by googling "wrestling news" and checking every site on the first page of results. What did Rusev do?

I don't think he shot down a Malaysia Airlines passenger jet, but:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/18/world/europe/malaysian-airlines-plane-ukraine.html?_r=0

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
The separatists launched Rusev at the plane and he put it in the camel clutch?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Too bad because you're missing out on a loving amazing Hell in the Cell match between them at No Mercy 2002, along with a lot of cool matches Undertaker had that year. I will admit he sucked every other year as Bikertaker but he had some cool matches in 2002.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Apple Craft posted:

A Malaysian airliner just got shot down over Ukraine, 255 dead with Ukraine & Russia pointing fingers at each other. Now people are wondering if Swagger will go over at Battleground and Rusev gets the Hassan treatment.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Ragnarok the Red posted:

A Malaysian airliner just got shot down over Ukraine, 255 dead with Ukraine & Russia pointing fingers at each other. Now people are wondering if Swagger will go over at Battleground and Rusev gets the Hassan treatment.
Wrestling Matters

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

swagger and rusev will face off at battleground in an inferno match set within a boeing 777

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Some Other Guy posted:

swagger and rusev will face off at battleground in an inferno match set within a boeing 777

Peak :russo:

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Rusev better come out with an rpg at battleground

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Too bad because you're missing out on a loving amazing Hell in the Cell match between them at No Mercy 2002, along with a lot of cool matches Undertaker had that year. I will admit he sucked every other year as Bikertaker but he had some cool matches in 2002.

If I liked dogs and yards I wouldn't own a cat and a condo.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

NienNunb posted:

Wrong. It lead to that hilarious Usos squash match and it was glorious.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

John Cena did what Triple H, Jeff Hardy, Bobby Lashley, and Shawn Michaels could not do and had a 20 minute match with Umaga that was really really good.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
There's no reason to be upset at beltpillows.

Added bonus of it broke up Cody Rhodes & Goldust and brought us a much better tag team.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Remember that time Cena got pinned by Tensai (mist in the eyes, so not saying it happened cleanly depending on your definition of "clean")

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

John Cena did what Triple H, Jeff Hardy, Bobby Lashley, and Shawn Michaels could not do and had a 20 minute match with Umaga that was really really good.

Jeff and Umaga had a bunch of fun matches. Umaga worked better in gimmick matches.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerusalem posted:

Chris Benoit vs Kurt Angle at Royal Rumble 2003 is probably the best wrestling match I have ever seen in my life (the LOSER of the match got a standing ovation from the crowd for God's sake). For added hilarity, watch the HHH/Steiner match that precedes it as it is probably one of the WORST wrestling matches I have ever seen in my life.

The juxtaposition of these two matches is surreal. If you told me it was planned, I would almost believe you except for the fact that no-one booking the WWE then, before, or since, is that savvy to the meta-narrative.

gently caress me that HHH-Steiner match sucked. Actually, I'm not sure what was worse: the match, or the terrible build to it. Push up competition? Bench press? I think there was even some arm wrestling?

And then they had an 18 minute match that consisted of about a trillion belly-to-belly suplexes and not much else.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Remember that time Cena got pinned by Tensai (mist in the eyes, so not saying it happened cleanly depending on your definition of "clean")

Cheating to blind somebody is not clean, IMO. Also why did they bring back Albert and make him Japanese?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Shine posted:

Cheating to blind somebody is not clean, IMO. Also why did they bring back Albert and make him Japanese?

Albert after his first run went to Japan as Giant Bernard and improved his ring work incredibly, becoming a pretty well known name over there. Ace brought him back and the rest is poo poo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Xenoletum posted:

Albert after his first run went to Japan as Giant Bernard and improved his ring work incredibly, becoming a pretty well known name over there. Ace brought him back and the rest is poo poo.

What was his work like with Brock over there? I wasn't watching Japanese stuff at the time.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

Jeff and Umaga had a bunch of fun matches. Umaga worked better in gimmick matches.
Oh poo poo I forgot all about those. Agreed, those were really fun to watch.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

I've gotta go back and watch those. All I can remember of Jeff/Umaga was Jeff doing that twisting somersault off the top of the cage and killing Umaga with it

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Xenoletum posted:

That sucks. I might be the only one, but I always thought Albert was dope, with all his yelling and the Baldo Bomb.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I enjoyed his very short AJPW run with Voodoo Murders, which was all around a pretty solid stable, especially during the RO&D feud. Just a shitload of ex-WWE guys plus TARU yelling at each other in multiple languages, bringing out body bags and steel pipes and Masahiro Chono.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Atticus Finch posted:

My favorite spot from, and I think it was the same One Night Only/Extreme Rules show with Cena vs Khali, was Jeff ridding something down a stairwell rail to just clothesline Umaga. Also Jeff sold Umaga's spinning side slam really well.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Rusev over Swagger on Sunday with a missile dropkick?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Shine posted:

Cheating to blind somebody is not clean, IMO.

It's not cheating if it's an extreme rules match!

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

This is why I cringe when WWE tries to apply it's cartoon overlay to current wood events because something will always happen that will make it so loving uncomfortable.
But knowing WWE either Rusev will disappear from the show or Lana will introduce him next raw with a badly photoshopped image on the Titantron of him highfiving Putin over a still smouldering piece of wreckage.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Sex Robot posted:

Lana will introduce him next raw with a badly photoshopped image on the Titantron of him highfiving Putin over a still smouldering piece of wreckage.

I would buy the network immediately.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

NienNunb posted:

The only reason it was lovely is that it led to Usos, Tag Team Champions.

I honestly really enjoyed NAO's "poo poo we're kinda too old to be here" schtick during it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Isn't there going to be a predictions thread for battleground?

• Locked thread