Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

triplexpac posted:

Vince has the weirdest announcing voice. I don't even know how to describe it, it's just so different from the way anyone would actually talk, especially his own speaking voice.

It's like he raises the pitch of his voice and kind of yells but without really making his voice louder.

Steve at OSW Review did a perfect "Vince on commentary" impression one time and it was pretty much exactly that, yeah. He would just get progressively more nasal instead of louder, and when he's really going it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

Also, while I don't mind "UNBELIEVABLE" I found that I quickly got tired of "ONE TWO HE GOT HIM THAT'S IT FOLKS RICKY STEAMBOAT JUST PINNED TED DIBIASE WITH AN ARMDRAG IN THE SECOND MINUTE OF THIS MATCH THANKS FOR WATCHING AND GOOD NIGHT"

"...........NO HE DIDN'T"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Gonzo McFee posted:

He announced like he was constantly caught of guard during a yawn.

Haha yeah that's actually pretty accurate

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gonzo McFee posted:

He announced like he was constantly caught of guard during a yawn.

That's the best description of Vince's announcing I've ever heard. Especially considering that he hates sneezing.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm another one of those weird people who actually quite liked Cole/Tazz in the early part of the 2000s. I've always felt that Cole has a good voice for simply presenting things (and for speaking more strongly when the situation calls for it, not that it always works out), while Tazz, with his tougher-sounding wrestlespeak, veered towards heel but still suitably condemned Heyman/Vince/another authority figure when they were, say, punishing wrestlers by feeding them to Lesnar or Big Show. Maybe this is down to Heyman's alleged re-recording of their stuff, or maybe it's just nostalgia (as it's some of the stuff I grew up with).

Either way, they don't topple my first commentary team love of JR/Heyman. I still think their pairing in 2001 is underrated, from what I read online. I know people hate The Invasion, but they could actually make it very entertaining.

(watching, I think, RVD/Jericho at Unforgiven 2001 in a hardcore match; JR has just brought up how barbaric the match is)
Heyman: I think it's great!
:bahgawd: : Have you ever been in a hardcore match, Paul?
Heyman: ... I promoted a bunch of 'em! :haw:
(JR audio-facepalms)

I feel like Heyman was good for the "what makes a good heel commentator?" question too. Despite representing the heels in a long, all-encompassing storyline, he still put both sides over.

EDIT:

Solomonic posted:

Steve at OSW Review did a perfect "Vince on commentary" impression one time and it was pretty much exactly that, yeah. He would just get progressively more nasal instead of louder, and when he's really going it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

One of my favourite all-time OSW Review moments! For anyone who's not seen it, I think it's around the 68 minute mark of their Summerslam 1992 review. Should be on Youtube/Vimeo.

"OHMYGOOOOODDDDDOWWAAAAAAAA!!!"

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 17, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I distinctly remember this one Raw where Cole was doing his usual Oh My excitement thing, but the commentary desk was in the camera shot and you could see Cole looking elsewhere with a disinterested expression while Oh My-ing and doing his 'excited' voice. It was creepy

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

fatherdog posted:

Bobby or Jess: <Ridiculous heel tirade>
Gorilla: Would you stop!
Both announcers: <move on to a different topic>

JBL: <Ridiculous heel tirade>
Cole: Oh, come on!
JBL: <Berates Cole for five minutes>

It's insufferable and the #1 worst thing about the commentary right now.

The worst part about this is that when JBL and Cole were the commentators on Smackdown back in like 2008 or whatever, JBL still acted like he hated Cole, but he wouldn't just loving fixate on it the way he does now.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Ventura put over the face talent as a heel commentator, which JBL rarely does and heel Cole NEVER did. At MitB 2011 Cole just screamed NERRRRD whenever focus shifted to Bryan. Ventura would've objected to made-up unfair advantages but would also talk up ability and heart, etc etc. I was watching a steamboat/macho man bout the other day and that's basically what Ventura did, praise Steamboat while fearmongering about how unsafe his striking style was.

I also have a lot of memories of Bobby Heenan screaming "WHAT A MATCH!" and selling how exhausted he was just watching certain matches, even if they involved people that he would normally talk poo poo about on commentary. Watch Bulldog/Bret from Summerslam 92, after a certain point in the match you wouldn't even know Brain is a heel commentator anymore.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

I distinctly remember this one Raw where Cole was doing his usual Oh My excitement thing, but the commentary desk was in the camera shot and you could see Cole looking elsewhere with a disinterested expression while Oh My-ing and doing his 'excited' voice. It was creepy

Cole's blatant phoniness drives me nuts. He's like nega-J.R.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Heenan single handedly added a lot to Heel Doink's character, always stressing that Doink was clearly a very good wrestler throwing people off with the clown stuff. It was also fun how Heenan could *almost* piece together that he recognized him as Matt Bourne, but not quite.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

HulkaMatt posted:

as bad as commentary is now that period with heel cole is some of the worst poo poo. It had some funny moments but he would never shut up.

Heel Cole would have been a great manager, but lead announcer on every TV show was the worst possible place for that schtick.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
JR and Heyman either actually didn't like each other, or were both REALLY good at pretending they didn't. I remember how much it genuinely sounded like they got on each other's nerves whenever they had to call together, and Heyman often pushed the envelope so far that he probably did piss off JR occasionally anyway.

As far as heel Cole, I remember hearing Cole say something ridiculous and stupid, and Booker on the Smackdown desk at the time would basically just facepalm because he wasn't allowed to argue even though you could tell he really wanted to. Booker wasn't a very good announcer in the first place but he knew how bad of a gimmick it was, and he knew it was even worse that nobody could say anything against him because the gimmick was protected until their big money moments.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 17, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sticklefifer posted:

As far as heel Cole, I remember hearing Cole say something ridiculous and stupid, and Booker on the Smackdown desk at the time would basically just facepalm because he wasn't allowed to argue even though you could tell he really wanted to. Booker wasn't a very good announcer in the first place but he knew how bad of a gimmick it was, and he knew it was even worse that nobody could say anything against him because the gimmick was protected until their big money moments.
Let me axe you something stickle, how do you think Regal would fare on the Raw commentary desk?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Some people have said his voice is too light or subdued for main event stuff. I think he could bring it though, dude can still cut a fine promo when he wants to. Regal's hard to hate though, so rather than heel commentary I'd rather he replace Lawler.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What was the context of Mae Young giving birth to a hand?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Halloween Jack posted:

Let me axe you something stickle, how do you think Regal would fare on the Raw commentary desk?

I think Jason Albert OR William Regal would be excellent replacements for JBL, I've loved the Heel Color Commentator work they've done on NXT.

Then replace King with Rene Young and you've got a much better show.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

She was dating Mark Henry, announced she was pregnant, and later gave birth to a hand. I think that's about all the relevant context there is to it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I think in a hypothetical future world Regal would be a decent commentator on RAW. In the actual world, he stammers a bit just trying to get his thoughts out on regular commentary; with a constant secondary soundtrack of Vince screaming in his ear I don't think he'd do very well.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

http://youtu.be/NBxbP-AmWYA

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Bring Don West to the Raw announce table and everything will be 10000x better

Edit: Also that ROH on HDNet guy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Diabolik900 posted:

She was dating Mark Henry, announced she was pregnant, and later gave birth to a hand. I think that's about all the relevant context there is to it.

I remember reading that Russo originally wanted her to give birth to a douchebag but the USA censors turned that down. I'm glad they did.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Dean Ambrose is fantastic on commentary, because his rambling droning still manages to call the match, insult who needs insulting and praise those who are on his side.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

sticklefifer posted:

JR and Heyman either actually didn't like each other, or were both REALLY good at pretending they didn't. I remember how much it genuinely sounded like they got on each other's nerves whenever they had to call together, and Heyman often pushed the envelope so far that he probably did piss off JR occasionally anyway.

The best example of this (which sadly isn't on the network) is after Austin vs Angle at Summerslam 2001. JR is absolutely fuming pissed off at the world and Paul just stonewalls him and plugs Excess or whatever show it was totally straight-faced.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Other people have already pointed out the plot context, but I think the implication is that it was a hand shaped sex toy.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

jscolon2.0 posted:

Other people have already pointed out the plot context, but I think the implication is that it was a hand shaped sex toy.

It also led to the joke afterwards where everyone in the room "gave Mae a hand".

I'll always love that angle, if only because Mae's pregnancy led to Kurt Angle saying in a promo, completely straight faced, that "Just because last week I suplexed an 82 year old pregnant woman, doesn't mean I can't still be your Olympic hero".

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Bring Don West to the Raw announce table and everything will be 10000x better

Edit: Also that ROH on HDNet guy

hogewood was unironically great

commentators endlessly bickering is one of my biggest turnoffs when watching wrestling and is a large part of why i havent watched any wwe in a while

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sanguinia posted:

I think Jason Albert OR William Regal would be excellent replacements for JBL, I've loved the Heel Color Commentator work they've done on NXT.

Then replace King with Rene Young and you've got a much better show.

No no leave Renee Young and Regal on NXT so I can listen to them flirt with each other on commentary without Vince ruining it. Those two are adorable.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CombineThresher posted:

No no leave Renee Young and Regal on NXT so I can listen to them flirt with each other on commentary without Vince ruining it. Those two are adorable.

But if she moves to Raw then we'll see more of her explosive sexual chemistry with the Titty Master whenever he stops in to do color.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

TL posted:

It also led to the joke afterwards where everyone in the room "gave Mae a hand".

I'll always love that angle, if only because Mae's pregnancy led to Kurt Angle saying in a promo, completely straight faced, that "Just because last week I suplexed an 82 year old pregnant woman, doesn't mean I can't still be your Olympic hero".

Haha what? Is there video of this promo?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TL posted:

It's also amazing that it's not the most outrageous heel promo he's cut. Even if you just limit it to WWE.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I love mike hogewood. Slap the porpoise!

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

It's also amazing that it's not the most outrageous heel promo he's cut. Even if you just limit it to WWE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjvFMjPD5zg
You're welcome.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Jesus. Never. Tapped.

I know because the Green Ranger said so.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

sticklefifer posted:

The impression I get is that JR went to bat for Heyman after Lawler left and that he enjoyed himself with him, though that's pretty much all speculation going off of slight comments they've both made.

I know folks don't like bickering commentators - I don't either usually - but coming back to those two, I actually think their bickering adds a lot to Survivor Series 2001. The Invasion wasn't really a proper WWE vs WCW/ECW storyline, but that event was the big pay-off with the "winner takes all" match. They ramped the pressure up, Heyman arrogantly yelling, "I look forward to personally firing you tomorrow night on Raw, JR!" and JR responding with "Aw, screw you Paul!" in various ways. Made it seem important I thought.

Then this happened (skip to 3:20). :allears:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Stallion Cabana posted:

Jesus. Never. Tapped.

I know because the Green Ranger said so.

Not with his hands nailed there he didn't.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

TL posted:

Having just rewatched No Way Out 2000, it was admirable how sincerely both JR and King sold Mae's pregnancy. For all the complains about internet smarks, the commentary team today is every bit as ready to poo poo over the product and not give anything a chance.

Mae giving birth to a hand stumped me for ages. I was determined to work out what it was supposed to reference.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Did Scott Hall ever injure anyone with a razor's edge?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TL posted:

Not with his hands nailed there he didn't.

I know it's blasphemy, but I preferred when Austin did that angle. The heel turn Jesus did with the money changers was just so half-assed, and just to set up the double-turn with Judas.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
This Nation of Domination talk has got me wondering. What happened to him after WWE? And what is everybody's opinion of him? I found him entertaining and always looked forward to his matches. I loved it whenever he did his bobblehead thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

iLikeMidgets posted:

This Nation of Domination talk has got me wondering. What happened to him after WWE?
Which one?

quote:

And what is everybody's opinion of him? I found him entertaining and always looked forward to his matches. I loved it whenever he did his bobblehead thing.
Oh, that guy. He was okay. I didn't like that WWF had 3 guys all doing the frog splash and calling it different names. Secretly I am Lance Storm.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know you can count D-lo as doing the frog splash at that time. If a wrestler splashes on Velocity and no-one sees it, did he take a bump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
D-Lo had a fun TNA run as a world champion contender. I recall him having a real good cage match vs AJ Styles.

I always loved him slightly cheating with the chest protector doing the Lo Down. And that he had two finishers with the cool Sky High powerbomb too.