Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

There's been a lot of hate in the thread recently for people who don't indicate but how about some for the ticking time bombs who are the idiots who indicate but don't actually look.

On my way home today, I passed a freaky part of the road where the exit from a mall's parking lot intersects a bus stop, inevitably a lot of people end up using the bus stop for a waiting lane to pull out. As I passed it some guy who was clearly indicating but not looking just pulls out of the idiot lane in front of me. Brakes on, no big deal, it's only the second time it's happened today. Then he indicates to pull into the right (for :911: imagine it's the left) hand lane but he hasn't been looking there either and a van had already been fast approaching and our blind idiot almost pulls into the side of the drat thing. They're only inches apart when our van's frantic honking catches the idiots attention and they both brake to a stop, then so do I and I'm just glad everyone behind me did too otherwise we would have had quite the little pile-up. (literally, as most of the cars involved were kei's :v:)

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

lavaca posted:

I live in Seattle, city of four-way stops. This commercial adequately characterizes the local driving experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdohA-4tQ0

I prefer the Portlandia version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaXMTtykHfE

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I saw something new today. Wish I had a dashcam.

There was a car driving beside a horse. When I got closer it was a little more than that. The lady driving the car had one hand out the window, holding the horse's reins.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

I saw something new today. Wish I had a dashcam.

There was a car driving beside a horse. When I got closer it was a little more than that. The lady driving the car had one hand out the window, holding the horse's reins.

Maybe I've just lived in a lot of rural places, but I've DONE that. When you lose a section of fence a have a few horses scattered about sometimes it's the easiest way to deal with it on your own.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see the city version all the time.. lazy asses walking their dog while coasting on a bike.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
The Palm Springs version is dog walking with a golf cart.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Burn Palms Springs to the ground. IMO.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Chinatown posted:

Burn Palms Springs to the ground. IMO.

Feels like it is every summer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xzzy posted:

I see the city version all the time.. lazy asses walking their dog while coasting on a bike.

Saw a guy walking his dog while driving his car once in a forest preserve parking lot. It was a tiny dog and he could barely see the little guy from where he was sitting, so I kept expecting the dog to get run over.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
Last year I saw a trophy wife in a Lexus suv following her little girl as she rode her bicycle (with training wheels) down my street.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

Maybe I've just lived in a lot of rural places, but I've DONE that. When you lose a section of fence a have a few horses scattered about sometimes it's the easiest way to deal with it on your own.

Same here but I've never seen that. Your reason is sound though. That never occurred to me. Location was a little odd though. She was maybe 100-200m from the edge of town heading towards it.

Hermaphrodite posted:

Last year I saw a trophy wife in a Lexus suv following her little girl as she rode her bicycle (with training wheels) down my street.

I've seen this too. Pretty regularly. Can't recall the vehicle though. Just idling along beside the kid. Lucky there's next to zero traffic because most people just walk here.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Hermaphrodite posted:

About a year ago I saw a video on Facebook of a Dad driving behind his grade school age kid while the kid was running. The Dad was screaming poo poo about how the kid was slow and he would never make the team if he didn't speed up. I tried searching Google for this video but couldn't find anything.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Hermaphrodite posted:

This is like all the parents I've seen that idle their car at the end of the driveway while waiting for the school bus. Not long driveways or particularly bad weather either.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

This is a bit of a rant, so please forgive the long windiness. With my new job, now every weekday morning and evening I take the A249 as part of my commute to and from work. The A249 is not a safe road, in fact, its one of the most dangerous roads in Kent, which makes driving on it each day a mini adventure in its own right. Why you might ask?

Well there are many reasons, lets start looking at a few.

The national speed limit for dual carriageways in the UK is 70mph, unless signposted otherwise. Now keep that in mind, and imagine you are coming off the road on the left here and wanting to merge onto the road, or worse still, go across to the other side.

Oh hey, you want to join the A249? See that nice little arrow? Thats how much room you have to get up to 70mph, no sliproad for you buddy!

Seriously, slip roads are for pussies, you only need a few metres to effectively merge into 70mph traffic.

OK, you get a sliproad with this one, but its very tiny, and not signposted clearly, or at all really.

Now one stretch of the road has a speed limit of 50mph for reasons soon explained, so you might think some of these junctions and roads might get a big easier yes? Nope, gently caress you.

Now the reason part of it has a 50mph speed limit is because Detling Hill is quite a steep hill, although it is considerably gentler going up than it is down, but even so is signposted because there are huge rear end slow HGVs having to slowly crawl up the entire way. Going down I would daresay is a 20% gradient in places, and has lots of nice twists and turns.

So going down an already very steep and turny hill, you also have to contend with HGVs going way too fast right next to you, or alternatively some idiot in an Audi tailgating because hurtling down the most dangerous part of the most dangerous road in Kent just isn't fast enough for him.

Oh, and did I mention that the A249 also played host to a 130 car pileup?

So why is this in the people you share a road with? Because without fail at least once a week, someone will get impatient with the HGVs climbing up the hill, and will do something stupid and end up blocking or partly blocking the road. Which jams up the A249. Which jams up junction 7 on the M20 motorway. Which jams up the motorway because no one can get off the junction, which also jams up the roads exiting Maidstone, all because some fucker couldn't wait a few minutes.

Or someone (usually an Audi for some reason) goes flying down the hill, realises that the corners are far too sharp and steep for their speed, and end up slamming their brakes on, or swerving over and crossing lanes, which scares the poo poo out of everyone behind them.

Or alternatively I am heading up the road at 70mph, and see a couple of people joining the A249 on one of those lovely non sliproads, and I'll move over to the right lane to give them room to merge and get up to speed. Except the second person merging decides that the first person merging isn't accelerating fast enough, and decides to switch lanes without indicating causing me to have to brake as hard as I can without locking the wheels up. You want to change lanes? Thats fine, but you don't loving do it at 30mph when there is a car coming up next to you at 70mph.

I mean christ people, this road is dangerous enough already, you don't need to act like retards and make it worse.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Ludicro posted:

*short as gently caress entrance ramps*

I see that and raise you the Merritt Parkway in CT, or Route 15. Hurray for going from a dead stop into 65mph+ traffic in about 5 yards!* :suicide:

*disclaimer: this is fun with AWD, Boost, and a nice launch.

View from the entrance ramp:

View from highway:

Wikipedia posted:

Due to its age, it was originally constructed without the merge-lanes, long on-ramps, and long off-ramps that are found on modern limited-access highways. Some entrances have perilously short and/or sharp ramps; some entrances even have stop signs, with no merge lane whatsoever; this leads to some dangerous entrances onto the highway.

As crazy as it is, the Merritt is a really great road to cruise on.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 17, 2014

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

GramCracker posted:

When it's not deer season

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
It's always deer season in Connecticut.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Saw an old bearded moron lane splitting here (so cal) on a loving Goldwing 3-wheeler during rush hour traffic.

What a loving idiot.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I guess Left Lane Blockers have been a problem for longer than I realized.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I always got a kick out of the stop sign onramps on the Parkway. They were way more fun in my old supercharged TSX than they are in my Grand Cherokee, I assure you of that.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wamsutta posted:

I always got a kick out of the stop sign onramps on the Parkway. They were way more fun in my old supercharged TSX than they are in my Grand Cherokee, I assure you of that.

The best worst part is literally almost 90% of the on/off ramps are like that between the CT/NY boarder and Middletown.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

This morning I was behind a Ford F150 and they were driving a bit erratically. Swerving a bit out of their lane, nothing terrible but kinda riding the yellow line. Pretty obvious they were on their phone. Whatever. What takes the cake is when we come upon an intersection (we're southbound) that is controlled by cars existing in the perpendicular lanes. There's a Trailblazer waiting to turn left (to join us in traffic) when the light turns yellow for us, and then red. We're a good distance away so I start easing on the brakes, but Distracted Dan here runs the light and doesn't even realize it. The Trailblazer is moving forward but sees the jackass and stops in the middle of the intersection. The Ford swerves out of the way and I'm not even sure they realized they hosed up.

I lost sight after I got a red at the next intersection but the Trailblazer was tailing the Ford pretty hard so I like to think some words/fists were exchanged.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Wamsutta posted:

If you drive a Kei car like I do right now it's like your Grand Cherokee on the parkway every time you pull out onto a main road. :smith:
With under 65hp and the aerodynamics of a cardboard box it accelerates the same way no matter how far I push the pedal so you've really got to wait for a nice big gap in traffic if you don't want to soil anybody's pants. :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

no matter how far I push the pedal so you've really got to wait for a nice big gap in traffic if you don't want to soil anybody's pants. :v:

Sounds like the 4 cylinder S10 I have. The pedal doesn't make it go any faster, it just makes it noisier or quieter.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GramCracker posted:

I see that and raise you the Merritt Parkway in CT, or Route 15. Hurray for going from a dead stop into 65mph+ traffic in about 5 yards!* :suicide:

*disclaimer: this is fun with AWD, Boost, and a nice launch.

View from the entrance ramp:

View from highway:

Ugh. The "onramp" to 15S from Hamden (can't remember the exit number) was the cause of my only at-fault accident. At the time I was driving a 2001 Wrangler with the four banger which is abominably slow on a good day, so to get anywhere up to speed I basically had to redline it through third gear. There's this Hyundai SUV in front of me at the stop sign, sees an opening (traffic was very light) and starts to merge. I turn my head left to make sure I had enough time to also merge, see that there's plenty of space, and gun it. For some reason the 800 year old lich driving that SUV decided for some reason not to proceed and had stopped again, so I'm dumping the clutch at 5000rpm and accelerating directly into her rear bumper. Mashed in her rear end a little, broke a couple turn signals, and ruined my fog lights. I guess it was my fault overall but get the gently caress off the roads, old people.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

The Midniter posted:

Ugh. The "onramp" to 15S from Hamden (can't remember the exit number) was the cause of my only at-fault accident. At the time I was driving a 2001 Wrangler with the four banger which is abominably slow on a good day, so to get anywhere up to speed I basically had to redline it through third gear. There's this Hyundai SUV in front of me at the stop sign, sees an opening (traffic was very light) and starts to merge. I turn my head left to make sure I had enough time to also merge, see that there's plenty of space, and gun it. For some reason the 800 year old lich driving that SUV decided for some reason not to proceed and had stopped again, so I'm dumping the clutch at 5000rpm and accelerating directly into her rear bumper. Mashed in her rear end a little, broke a couple turn signals, and ruined my fog lights. I guess it was my fault overall but get the gently caress off the roads, old people.

This is almost precisely how my only accident happened. In my case, there wasn't just "an opening" — there was very literally no traffic in either direction for at least half a mile. I remember it pretty clearly, and it's further evidenced by the fact that I ended up knocking the lady clear into the middle of the road and she was able to stop, get her bearings, back up, recover and pull over without impeding any traffic.

Totally my fault for not looking forward once more before accelerating, but what the hell, lady.

On the bright side, she was the nicest person you'd ever want to meet and was extremely kind about the whole thing. Even refused to get insurance involved because I was "just a young thing" (I was about eighteen, I think) and she could see I was terrified. Ended up paying her for the minor damage to her back bumper and that was the end of it.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Alarbus posted:

No dash cam, but on 476 south this morning, I watched the older lady in the white neon (which appeared to generally be in good shape) weaving in her lane. This resulted in her bouncing off the guardrail, and her head popped up in surprise. She kept weaving a while longer, too. I guess she's pretty lucky construction and traffic only had her going 40ish.

I'm just happy she hit the guardrail and not someone else. I'm not happy she didn't learn from it.

What up, Blue Route Buddy?

I was coming off the PA Turnpike going eastbound on 76 at a section (near the Gulph Mills exit for those in the know) where it's two lanes and barely any shoulder. This dude in a 2000 or so retired Crown Vic Interceptor, driving gangster-lean (the seat was seriously back at a 60 degree angle), comes flying past me in the left lane, tries to pass the car in front of him by swerving into the right lane, but failed to notice the car already in the right lane, forcing the car in the right lane to swerve towards the near non-existant shoulder and then the car in front of him in the left lane towards the concrete divider once he noticed he almost hit the first car and swerved back left, nearly causing the two cars he almost hit to earn Darlington Stripes. So, he did the right thing of course by braking and letting the cars in front of him get back into their lanes, right? No... He brakes, sees his error, and then slams on the gas and needles through the two of them on the center line nearly causing a four car-pile up as the other two cars swerve even harder and hit the brakes causing the two cars behind those respective cars to nearly rear-end both. And then holmes in the Crown Vic speeds away.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 17, 2014

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Just saw this happen as I was stopping to wait in line for a left turn. There's a hubcap on the side of the road which the car in front of me runs over. Typical oblivious driver right? Except he runs it over in such a way that it pops up and onto the center median, clearing it from the road.

I am going to choose to believe that he meant to do this. Good looking out, bro.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I do that when I get the chance.

Except if there's someone tailgating me, in which case, I run over it so it spits up at them :unsmigghh:

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012
A dump truck driver I know figured out that if he drives close enough to a row of orange construction barrels on the highway, eventually one is loose enough to get sucked into the aerodynamic hole behind his truck, which he reserves for the most obnoxious tailgaters. Don't tailgate dump trucks.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Meat Mitts posted:

A dump truck driver I know figured out that if he drives close enough to a row of orange construction barrels on the highway, eventually one is loose enough to get sucked into the aerodynamic hole behind his truck, which he reserves for the most obnoxious tailgaters. Don't tailgate dump trucks.

I'm pretty sure someone could die if he did this on purpose. That's a pretty bullshit thing to do.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So I guess this is one way to park?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Meat Mitts posted:

What about dump trucks tailgating you and flashing his high beams while going 80 mph in a 65 zone with a moderate amount of traffic going at about 70 mph? I admit I was a bit of a dick by brake checking him by using my hand brake lightly so my tail lights went on while maintaining speed. I may be a little too easy to anger but I'm not a complete idiot or have a death wish. The brake pads for the hand brake might hate me even more, though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Edward IV posted:

What about dump trucks tailgating you and flashing his high beams while going 80 mph in a 65 zone with a moderate amount of traffic going at about 70 mph? I admit I was a bit of a dick by brake checking him by using my hand brake lightly so my tail lights went on while maintaining speed. I may be a little too easy to anger but I'm not a complete idiot or have a death wish. The brake pads for the hand brake might hate me even more, though.
Does brake checking with the handbrake satisfy the man holding the gun to your head?

GramCracker posted:

So I guess this is one way to park?

Not defending this guy at all, but apparently it's assigned parking, and the neighbor with that car had just left for a week's vacation, and they had exchanged words about it before.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That car is in a really lovely parking spot, if he stayed inside the lines he literally wouldn't be able to get out of the car. I guess if he didn't reverse into the spot that would be better but it's still a really tight fit to be cramming a giant truck and a giant sedan into two tiny spots.

It looks like the truck's spot has plenty of gap on the left side too. He's just being a dick and I hope they throw the book at him.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Edward IV posted:

So ...

Do you not know that your handbrake doesn't turn on the brake lights?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Krakkles posted:

So ...

That was my first thought, too.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Why would anyone tailgate a dump truck? That's just asking for a broken windshield and chipped paint. gently caress that.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Krakkles posted:

So ...

I thought they turn on while you pulling the lever but not while the lever is locked. I can't check by myself right now until it gets dark.

Bah, who needs hand brake pads since I drive an automatic. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Depending on your car they might just be your regular rear brakes.