Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!
I'm still kind of disappointed there hasn't been any sort of ceremony involving the Undertaker with the Streak being broken. With how big it was hyped over the years, the fact that Taker hasn't even made an appearance since WM30 sort of makes it underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

The Undertaker died that night. They don't want you to know.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

I wonder what the oldest guy has been to main event in a major organization?

I'd assume either Flair or Funk. Hogan/Rock wasn't a main event, was it?

I'd wager it was Lou Thesz, he was UWA champion in his 60s. If you limit it to the US maybe Gagne during one of his "comes out of retirement to teach the young punks a lesson" tag matches. I imagine one of those had to main event a major AWA event in his middle 50s.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Why, Sandow... Why..

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nowadays Undertaker depresses me because even if Taker/Sting happened tomorrow, Taker would still noticeably look worse physically.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

But who would have the better hair?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I'm watching some old London/Kendrick matches and getting sad. They were starting to get over just based on their movesets, since they weren't really given any sort of character by the WWE.

I'm still really bitter aboout HHH Pedigreeing them both after they helped him :(

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Shima Honnou posted:

It beats the current actual last Undertaker match where he got concussed within minutes and spent the rest of it laying out a piece of poo poo that sucked.
I don't remember his match with Punk going that way.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Sting took 14 months off prior to Starrcade 97 and showed up pasty and out of shape.

If the match happens I imagine he'll show up in good shape for a 56 year old and the match will be pretty good but Sting's track record is not good.

I think the actual match would be pretty bad but I'm still all in favor of it. No one's going to expect Taker vs. Sting in 2015 to carry a card and the buildup, general atmosphere, and entrances should all be cool. If we get a ** match with ***** entrances I'll be happy.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Thauros posted:

I think the actual match would be pretty bad but I'm still all in favor of it. No one's going to expect Taker vs. Sting in 2015 to carry a card and the buildup, general atmosphere, and entrances should all be cool. If we get a ** match with ***** entrances I'll be happy.

My thoughts exactly. If Sting/Taker would be expected to carry the card that'd be poor planning on WWE's part, but the match itself happening would be cool since it's one of a handful of never before seen dream matches WWE could do.

Fat CM Punk vs Ancient Stone Cold at Wrestlemania 40, now that's going to be sad looking.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
WCW Uncensored 2000 finished off with the amazing and beloved Yappappi Strap Match featuring a 51 year old Ric Flair and a 46 year old Hulk Hogan.

I thought that was Flair's last show-ending singles match, but turns out Taboo Tuesday 2004 was main evented by Ric Flair (54) losing to Randy Orton (24).

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Thauros posted:

All I ask is that UT's last match feature him doing his usual spots, but he doesn't look like a concussed old fool the entire time. I still feel sad when I think about his wobbly sad attempts at the "old school" at WM30.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
There's every chance that he can't reliably walk the ropes (not that he has no chance of doing it, but it'd be hit-n-miss) and he sure isn't going to be diving over the ropes or doing the flip clothesline, either. The guy was doing one match a year and still having to ice his knees and was left with a wrecked body every time.

One more match would be great, especially with Sting, but don't expect it to be the likes of his matches with HBK, let alone anything he was doing 15+ years ago. His legs are so buggered, even doing the tombstone probably hurts like hell.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Make it a submission match with no ropes on the ring.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He got clever with it in the Punk match, looking like he was going for the plancha but Heyman kept cutting him off.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
It would probably be a really good idea if UT is going to wrestle again, that it not be against a dude whose entire style involves a) throwing dudes around and b) being thrown around. Sting is probably a good pick.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Although given Taker's propensity for murdering himself in his one match per year, there will probably be a plancha met with a baseball bat to the head.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It will be Surfer Sting vs. Biker Taker.

And it will be awesome.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Angular Landbury posted:

It would probably be a really good idea if UT is going to wrestle again, that it not be against a dude whose entire style involves a) throwing dudes around and b) being thrown around. Sting is probably a good pick.

Taker'd have a rough time taking the AA, the Protoplex... Honestly, the majority of Cena's offense. The diving Fameasser, too. A match with Cena would require Cena bouncing off Taker like a pinball and lots of STF/Hell's Gate trading.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Sting has bad matches and Undertaker can't carry him. I want Sting and Jhon Cena as the new Blade Runners.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Daniel Bryan posted:

Valeyard peeing himself itt

Well even though he's not on the cover I'm assuming the Cena/Punk matches MUST be on this, right? Because how could Cena's best matches ever not be?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

rotinaj posted:

Taker'd have a rough time taking the AA, the Protoplex... Honestly, the majority of Cena's offense. The diving Fameasser, too. A match with Cena would require Cena bouncing off Taker like a pinball and lots of STF/Hell's Gate trading.

Wait why are we talking about Cena.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Angular Landbury posted:

Wait why are we talking about Cena.

Because he's the other big "Taker's Last Match" name people are always throwing around. I'm trying(poorly) to say that Sting'd probably be a better last match for Taker.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Jerusalem posted:

Well even though he's not on the cover I'm assuming the Cena/Punk matches MUST be on this, right? Because how could Cena's best matches ever not be?

Yeah, the listing has Punk.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

"This 3-disc compilation features some of the biggest matches in Cena’s impressive career and showcases why his legacy will forever be cemented in sports entertainment, with an in-depth interview with Cena himself.

Features matches against CM Punk, Randy Orton, Edge, Batista, Eddie Guerrero, Shawn Michaels, The Rock and Triple H among others."

Unironically excited for the fake Cena interview.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yeah, the listing has Punk.

Then all is right with the world.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Unironically excited for the fake Cena interview.

"You know, they just couldn't see me. I'm the champ baby, the champ! *rifles through his pockets* Take a look at these photos, look at 'em"
"Cena...these are baby photos with your opponents heads photoshopped on"
"That's right. That's because my opponents just couldn't see me, like a baby can't see me behind my hands. They were all too poopy, they just couldn't win. They didn't have the hustle, loyalty, or respect that I have"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stealthed Zombie posted:

"You know, they just couldn't see me. I'm the champ baby, the champ! *rifles through his pockets* Take a look at these photos, look at 'em"
"Cena...these are baby photos with your opponents heads photoshopped on"
"That's right. That's because my opponents just couldn't see me, like a baby can't see me behind my hands. They were all too poopy, they just couldn't win. They didn't have the hustle, loyalty, or respect that I have"

Randy Orton has no object permanence which is why he keeps losing the belt.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Randy Orton has no object permanence which is why he keeps losing the belt.

He might have had object permanence at one point but then a ladder broke his skull and Roman Reigns dug around in it.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

rotinaj posted:

Because he's the other big "Taker's Last Match" name people are always throwing around. I'm trying(poorly) to say that Sting'd probably be a better last match for Taker.
The other thing is that most of the logic of Cena/Taker falls apart when you take the streak out of it. The whole concept was that it was believable enough that WWE would give the streak to Cena, because, John Cena, hence building up real suspense.

I kinda don't care about Sting much myself but I get it's a dream match for a lot of people so sure why not.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
As long as they build it up right and make it something the crowd is gonna get excited for then it doesn't really matter how good the match is or who wins. That's why I'm glad Brock Lesnar broke the streak so now the Sting match can mean something else if they do it. It would be cool for them both to have their last match there like someone else said and it would be fun to see Sting at WM in a WWE setting. I want to see it.

edit: Look at the Rock vs Hogan in 2002. The match wasn't even very good! But it got a great crowd response and it's well-remembered for that alone. So that's what WWE needs to strive for. A WM crowd has a chance to give these guys that sort of reception especially if it's the last match for both.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 20, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kawalimus posted:

As long as they build it up right and make it something the crowd is gonna get excited for then it doesn't really matter how good the match is or who wins. That's why I'm glad Brock Lesnar broke the streak so now the Sting match can mean something else if they do it. It would be cool for them both to have their last match there like someone else said and it would be fun to see Sting at WM in a WWE setting. I want to see it.

edit: Look at the Rock vs Hogan in 2002. The match wasn't even very good! But it got a great crowd response and it's well-remembered for that alone. So that's what WWE needs to strive for. A WM crowd has a chance to give these guys that sort of reception especially if it's the last match for both.

Yea if Brock breaking the streak this year means Taker/Sting in the next WM can actually be its own story instead of a streak thing, I'm down.

Like, yea I want to see Sting at Wrestlemania for the WWE, that's something that makes me go 'oh ok, I'm in', in itself, give it a decent story and a proper match and I'm probably gonna have a good time.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Frankston posted:

I hope it is Sting vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania, only it's surfer Joker Sting.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

A Sting-Undertaker match would be bad enough for me to be excited about it

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
The Scorpion Death Drop is the most boring finishing move in wrestling history, so watching Undertaker kick out of that repeatedly would be exciting to say the least.

Edit; I'm mostly just excited for the moment where Undertaker announces he's retiring and they cut to Sting in the rafters pointing a bat at him and that's about it.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 20, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Professor Funk posted:

The Scorpion Death Drop is the most boring finishing move in wrestling history, so watching Undertaker kick out of that repeatedly would be exciting to say the least.

Edit; I'm mostly just excited for the moment where Undertaker announces he's retiring and they cut to Sting in the rafters pointing a bat at him and that's about it.

I kinda feel like WWE might avoid the whole rafters thing, you know. They wouldn't want to push it over the edge.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

I kinda feel like WWE might avoid the whole rafters thing, you know. They wouldn't want to push it over the edge.

Too soon, bro.

I don't think they'd have him come down from the rafters, but I could see him standing up there, hanging out.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Holy poo poo, Battleground is tomorrow. I didn't even realize until just now because the build has been garbage.

Sting WM dream entrance: army of Stings comes out from gorilla, Undertaker backs off a bit, real Sting hits 'Taker with a chair from over the barricade and takes his mask off to reveal Surfer Sting.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Cena is being held off of Raw this Monday for some reason. Does that mean he drops the title tomorrow? Hell if I know, but still, that's unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gonz posted:

Cena is being held off of Raw this Monday for some reason. Does that mean he drops the title tomorrow? Hell if I know, but still, that's unusual.

It means he retains then Lesnar comes out and loving destroys him, setting up Summerslam.

• Locked thread