Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
It's been long overdue, but I finally ordered a new video card primarily so I can run the game, my GTS 250 just can't quite do the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

AndroidHub posted:

It's been long overdue, but I finally ordered a new video card primarily so I can run the game, my GTS 250 just can't quite do the job.

I've been making the same posts on Facebook concerning my GTX260. Are you ready to advance 5 generations, friendo?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Can't believe I didn't notice this was semi almost sort of pre-pre-released. Bought fast and hard.

Now someone explain to me why certain sections of ground refuse to allow me to build a road on them? They look as flat as everything else, but grid view just fades out there. How can I have a pristine and perfect colony without a scientifically laid-out latticework of roadways? (Also, do roads even do anything yet outside of look pretty?)

Edit: Updated my video driver in the hopes of better fps, and now the ground is entirely black. Welp. Off to the bug reporting form I go.

E2: Restarted a few times and now it works again? :iiam:

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 20, 2014

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Congratulations to all those people who have gone out and bought new video cards to play Clockwork Empires. Earliest Access: Stimulating the Economy since 2014.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Can't believe I didn't notice this was semi almost sort of pre-pre-released. Bought fast and hard.

Now someone explain to me why certain sections of ground refuse to allow me to build a road on them? They look as flat as everything else, but grid view just fades out there. How can I have a pristine and perfect colony without a scientifically laid-out latticework of roadways? (Also, do roads even do anything yet outside of look pretty?)

a) bad shader, which I will be replacing. Same bug as farm rendering.
b) no.

Hello Sailor posted:

Is there a particular construction that needs to be built for butchering? I have all these dead fish people around, there doesn't appear to be any manual "butcher" command, and if anyone's eating corpses, I haven't caught them doing it. Pretty sure there's been a few corpses that vanished, though. Maybe they're eating them when I'm not looking.

No, everybody will basically auto-cannibalize. I think I need to change this to be more realistic, once we have a better body disposal system. People keep clicking on the aurochs to commit individualized aurochs murder, so I will probably also change how hunting works in the near future. Learning!

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just turn on hunting on everyone and any aurochs stupid enough to come into the colony is immediately blown away by seven different people.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

I just turn on hunting on everyone and any aurochs stupid enough to come into the colony is immediately blown away by seven different people.

Yep, all my food woes were solved as soon as I turned that on.

Also while I love making dumb poor laborers spend their lives cleaning up meat gibs, I think the time to clean up each individual piece ends up being too high.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Eonwe posted:

Also while I love making dumb poor laborers spend their lives cleaning up meat gibs, I think the time to clean up each individual piece ends up being too high.

Clearly someone hasn't played viscera cleanup detail. :colbert: (But yeah it does take a bit too long for my taste currently)

I've played about an hour and had to quit once the steadily dwindling performance got to be too much to bear. I think it's something about the jobs that is doing it, because I noticed when I opened my job list the game nearly ground to a halt until I could get it to close again. But there were a lot of jobs in there many times over. Maybe I'm missing something and I don't need to be clicking on each individual tree and selecting chop? Also is 'explore' supposed to be something where I have to click a whole bunch of waypoints out in the black areas? Because explore was in there for like 3 pages.

Edit: Also it would be nicer if clicking the pop-up alerts on the right brought you to more info about the event, or zoomed your camera to the nearest location to the event. And then right click would be used to dismiss the alert. That's the usual way it's handled in games of this sort. I kept mindlessly clicking the icons expecting to zoom to whatever it wanted to tell me about and instead I made it disappear.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 20, 2014

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

BobTheJanitor posted:

Edit: Also it would be nicer if clicking the pop-up alerts on the right brought you to more info about the event, or zoomed your camera to the nearest location to the event. And then right click would be used to dismiss the alert. That's the usual way it's handled in games of this sort. I kept mindlessly clicking the icons expecting to zoom to whatever it wanted to tell me about and instead I made it disappear.

The explore waypoints seem to be eventually explored by otherwise unassigned naturalists during daylight hours. After it's clear that one has nosed near one, I've been manually clearing the buggers away so they don't clutter up my board (and possibly the job list?). They do seem to permanently forget about exploring a waypoint if they get scared away by a fishmans though.

Fortunately the militia's rally points have a much faster turnaround time. I let the little guys bumble around a bit after sending them after evil for a bit, then I clear the rally and let them pick up any nearby uncollected but 'harvested' dreck and wander home. It's almost faster to use the military to look in dark map spots as long as you aren't afraid of getting jumped on the other side of the world.

Gonna have to try to figure out what the heck roads do and if I can make them do anything other than put down broken white stripes. Also I have to figure out how to balance housing, food, and jobs even a little bit. Right now it's just chaos as I throw up random houses and pray I don't end up with too many people bed- or table-less and doing nothing useful while important building and gathering tasks go undone for days.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I am really enjoying the game so far. As has already mentioned it is still rough around the edges - early access etc - but it is shaping up well and I hope once it gets all the polish it needs it'll be a really fantastic game.

I've played a few games and so far haven't had any terrible fishman attacks, but i've been rallying my soldiers around to explore and they seem to be able to kill anything that tries to attack. Is there any way to kill those bulls and dodo birds? I have had one bull get stuck inside a house i was building.

As far as bugs issues, there are a few but i think they'll get sorted easy enough.
- if i quit to menu and start a new game, it crashes within minutes
- can't undo building, or destroy built constructions
- the text is impossible to read at 1080 resolution
- any time you place a building the game freezes a while, i guess path calculations?
- the icons on the right side of the screen aren't very useful. Like if a fishman attacks, clicking the icon should move my view to the fishman, instead it makes the icon disappear. Similarly i didn't realize that the "colony supply request" icon was meant to be clicked and missed it a few times.

Still i am having fun and slowly getting to the point of a lasting colony. Made it to 8 days last time.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

ThaGhettoJew posted:

The explore waypoints seem to be eventually explored by otherwise unassigned naturalists during daylight hours. After it's clear that one has nosed near one, I've been manually clearing the buggers away so they don't clutter up my board (and possibly the job list?). They do seem to permanently forget about exploring a waypoint if they get scared away by a fishmans though.

Fortunately the militia's rally points have a much faster turnaround time. I let the little guys bumble around a bit after sending them after evil for a bit, then I clear the rally and let them pick up any nearby uncollected but 'harvested' dreck and wander home. It's almost faster to use the military to look in dark map spots as long as you aren't afraid of getting jumped on the other side of the world.

Gonna have to try to figure out what the heck roads do and if I can make them do anything other than put down broken white stripes. Also I have to figure out how to balance housing, food, and jobs even a little bit. Right now it's just chaos as I throw up random houses and pray I don't end up with too many people bed- or table-less and doing nothing useful while important building and gathering tasks go undone for days.

Yeah only naturalists can 'explore' at the moment. If you place them one at a time per naturalist you have once they are sufficiently looked at the beacon will go away but if you have too many beacons they seem to wander between them. I submitted a bug report and possibly a fix but I haven't tested it yet because I'm tired. The interruption issue seems to have slipped through the cracks when they fixed everything doing that. I included that in my bug report along with what I think the fix is but again tired.

The issue of rally being a better exploration option than explore is known. I suspect once the military in general gets some love using rally might have a drawback over setting patrols and the like.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No one has posted any pictures her since the (Earliest) release. Is there any rules against it?

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Met posted:

No one has posted any pictures her since the (Earliest) release. Is there any rules against it?

Some Things are best left Unseen...

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Met posted:

nvining posted:

See the commentary in the Seekrit Testing Forum. You can basically talk about the game now! But don't talk about WHAT CAME BEFORE.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Arrrrghhh! I accidentally deleted my Key webpage and the Clockwork Empires Key is missing from the humble bundle resent keys list. I swear I bought it! Wanna play that game. :gonk:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
But I have this email. *minimises photoshop*

Literally though, I'm having to restrain myself from buying it again.

Tactical Grace fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 20, 2014

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Tactical Grace posted:

Arrrrghhh! I accidentally deleted my Key webpage and the Clockwork Empires Key is missing from the humble bundle resent keys list. I swear I bought it! Wanna play that game. :gonk:

My dog ate my key as well, please send me one so I can re-access it TIA

Orv
May 4, 2011

Met posted:

Here's some pictures!

It begins.

The first foundations of sustainability.

A carpentry workshop and a kitchen go up.

The finished carpentry.

The plans for a prolehouse.

The first supply option, wherein I take the materials to finish the last oven.

Queuing up cooking for the upcoming cabbage apocalypse.

The finished kitchen, replete with half an aspen.

A fishman slaughters two idiots while the bigger idiots of the military sleep off their poorness.

The first immigration wherein I take the choice that gives me more overseers with no people to work for them.

I put up some unnecessarily extravagant middle class housing given the amount of wood I have to work with.

The plan for a ceramics factory. Ceramics factories are (or at least will eventually be) important if you want to build your own metal production chains, otherwise you'll have to continue relying on supply drops. Of course when half the embarks I've had have no clay to be found for miles...

The imbeciles at large finally begin the deforestation of the only nearby wood source.

The completed exterior of the ceramics workshop, moments before I decide I don't want to deal with this lack of trees nonsense and start a new embark.

This has been your first ten to fifteen minutes in a currently playable game of Clockwork Empires.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 20, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Foraging for berries is a good source of food early-game when you're still setting up farms.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just set up and immediately allow the six cabbage farms to be planted because no-one will die before the first crop comes in. That does lead to a minor problem however come the next cabbage cycle where people will have just eaten raw cabbage and it's basically infinitely sustainable but not efficient. Though at this point there's very little reason (without some content modding) to play beyond 25 people or so, even if it doesn't slow to a crawl by then.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I pretty much do the same thing, but rush getting a kitchen set up so the next time people are ready to eat I have some cooked auroch meat. It really depends on whether the person who claimed the kitchen is a lazy rear end in a top hat or not though.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
I rush a kitchen, and waste far too many of my starting bricks/pipes on ovens. A large part of my strategy relies on finding clay.

My bottleneck always seems to be lazy-rear end colonists not wanting to chop trees down, and preferring to forage berries or pick cabbage. Maybe I need to create fewer jobs at a time...

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
The kitchen is the first building I construct. Even foraged/hunted foods become 3-4x more filling by using it, and you start off with enough materials to build a kitchen with 2 ovens in addition to a carpentry workshop and refinery.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Hey, Daynab! I've just read the RPS article. I want in on this Colonial Duty stuff. Tell me where I sign up for a trip to the heavenly Royal Colonies.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Is there a smoother way to manage the kitchen supply chain rather than glancing at the stockpile and then ordering them to cook a bunch of whatever's in it?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

LotsBread posted:

Hey, Daynab! I've just read the RPS article. I want in on this Colonial Duty stuff. Tell me where I sign up for a trip to the heavenly Royal Colonies.

Not Daynab, but http://clockworkempires.com/ . Scroll down under the video and find the 'Buy Now!' section.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Am I missing the option for 1920x1080? It doesn't seem to be in the list anywhere and other people seem to be playing at that resolution. Highest I have is 1366x768.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Remember that none square houses Please the Geomatries.

Just don't make a Donghouse. I have been Warned against that.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Just don't make a Donghouse. I have been Warned against that.

I think the Many Angled Ones might be cool with it though (as long as it's in 5 dimensions).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Reason posted:

Am I missing the option for 1920x1080? It doesn't seem to be in the list anywhere and other people seem to be playing at that resolution. Highest I have is 1366x768.

Is it incorrectly reading your second screen as your only available resolutions? (Assume that's a possibility at all.)

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Some how I got a double-house. A house is on top of a house. Probably hard to tell in the picture but I have 1 of the doors highlighted, and if you look at the steps there's actually 2 of them, one right on top of the other.

The 2 workers are stuck in there with the job 'drop tool'. They eventually starved to death but they still showed up in the Work Crews menu as 'The late <name>'. I arranged for sudden promotion of one and they came back to life but still not moving. She seems to be immortal now as she hasn't ate for 3 days.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Is it incorrectly reading your second screen as your only available resolutions? (Assume that's a possibility at all.)

I've only got one screen.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Reason posted:

I've only got one screen.

What are your specs like?

Danith posted:

Some how I got a double-house. A house is on top of a house. Probably hard to tell in the picture but I have 1 of the doors highlighted, and if you look at the steps there's actually 2 of them, one right on top of the other.

The 2 workers are stuck in there with the job 'drop tool'. They eventually starved to death but they still showed up in the Work Crews menu as 'The late <name>'. I arranged for sudden promotion of one and they came back to life but still not moving. She seems to be immortal now as she hasn't ate for 3 days.

Yeah there's nothing preventing you from building stuff overlapping right now.

Met posted:

No rule at all! We do live in the age of video though, if you look on Youtube you'll find a bunch of gameplay already.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Voting game of the year, all the years.

First game, I had multiple "heavy cult activity, time to panic" pop ups by day 3 and all my workshops got renamed. Last game, people would just cry standing in front of the kitchen. Can't wait for the updates to come :getin:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Duckbill posted:

I rush a kitchen, and waste far too many of my starting bricks/pipes on ovens. A large part of my strategy relies on finding clay.

My bottleneck always seems to be lazy-rear end colonists not wanting to chop trees down, and preferring to forage berries or pick cabbage. Maybe I need to create fewer jobs at a time...

At the moment actually both a ceramics workshop and carpentry workshop are pretty low priority. If you click a log on the ground you can order it to be chopped into a plank, and if you mine stones you can then click the rough stone block and order it to be made into stone bricks which work like regular bricks. Both of those are a lot slower than using the workshop job and you have to click the specific item instead of just queuing a bunch but it saves startup overhead. The real issue with a metal industry is that a refinery and metalworks both need metal pipes and plates to be made and are needed to make metal plates and pipes. The supply drop lets you avoid getting screwed but in the long run they intend for a better solution.

And hunting and foraging can get you a bunch of food early on to help you survive until the kitchen is going strongly without needing a dozen farms. This is helpful since you cannot disable a farm so if you build six and order cabbages once you get to the cooked food stage you will quickly get swamped with cabbages and waste a ton of time farming and harvesting more useless cabbages.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

LtSmash posted:

And hunting and foraging can get you a bunch of food early on to help you survive until the kitchen is going strongly without needing a dozen farms. This is helpful since you cannot disable a farm so if you build six and order cabbages once you get to the cooked food stage you will quickly get swamped with cabbages and waste a ton of time farming and harvesting more useless cabbages.

Am I missing something here, or don't you need those 'useless' cabbages to make the cooked form? Presumably the raw materials remain useful even once you build a kitchen to cook them with?

Also is there any way to speed up efficiency of a kitchen? Like does adding multiple ovens allow multiple things to be cooked at once? And are any of the decorative doodads like pots and pans or portraits on the walls actually doing anything gameplay-wise, or are they purely aesthetic?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

BobTheJanitor posted:

Also is there any way to speed up efficiency of a kitchen? Like does adding multiple ovens allow multiple things to be cooked at once? And are any of the decorative doodads like pots and pans or portraits on the walls actually doing anything gameplay-wise, or are they purely aesthetic?

A work crew in a workshop can use multiple stations, so multiple stoves can be in use at once in your kitchen. The main issue is getting them to stop loving around and actually do the cooking.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Hello Sailor posted:

A work crew in a workshop can use multiple stations, so multiple stoves can be in use at once in your kitchen. The main issue is getting them to stop loving around and actually do the cooking.

More specifically, the plan is that a worker won't have to sit around staring in front of a stove all the time, they'll just queue up the oven.

EDIT: And yeah, continuing to hunt job stalls. I thought I got most of these, but evidently not.

EDIT: It turns out that there is nothing more important to somebody after putting something in a stockpile than picking the thing up that they just found, and putting it in another stockpile.

nvining fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 20, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Daynab posted:

What are your specs like?

Geforce GTX 670
8 gigs of ram
intel i5 3.4ghz
playing with a 40inch vizio TV

1080 is my native resolution

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

BobTheJanitor posted:

Am I missing something here, or don't you need those 'useless' cabbages to make the cooked form? Presumably the raw materials remain useful even once you build a kitchen to cook them with?

Well cooked food is way more filling than raw food so once you get your kitchen going and have a steady supply of cabbage stew you need way fewer cabbages to make stew from than you would need if the colonists were just eating raw cabbage. So you go from needing 6 cabbage farms to supply your colony with enough raw cabbage to needing about 1.5 farms to supply your colony with stew. But you can't disable the other 4 farms so you just keep getting more and more stockpiled cabbages. They don't spoil or anything but they are waaay in excess of how many you need and colonist will spend time farming, harvesting, and hauling hundreds of cabbages when they could be doing something else that is actually helpful.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

EDIT: It turns out that there is nothing more important to somebody after putting something in a stockpile than picking the thing up that they just found, and putting it in another stockpile.

Dwarf Fortress simulation status attained. Put beards on everyone the cogs and ship it.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

LtSmash posted:

Well cooked food is way more filling than raw food so once you get your kitchen going and have a steady supply of cabbage stew you need way fewer cabbages to make stew from than you would need if the colonists were just eating raw cabbage. So you go from needing 6 cabbage farms to supply your colony with enough raw cabbage to needing about 1.5 farms to supply your colony with stew. But you can't disable the other 4 farms so you just keep getting more and more stockpiled cabbages. They don't spoil or anything but they are waaay in excess of how many you need and colonist will spend time farming, harvesting, and hauling hundreds of cabbages when they could be doing something else that is actually helpful.

Why do you need 6 farms? That is way too many farms unless you're making them 3x3 or something. I was easily able to feed everyone at the beginning with one 7x7 cabbage farm plot supplemented with some foraging and hunting. Even when I brought in more colonists, that one cabbage farm and a wheat field of the same size, along with the occasional aurochs or dodo that wandered over, was producing a ridiculous surplus of food for 20-odd colonists.

• Locked thread