Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 3 has a really strong finish. The last 3-4 episodes are a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

Season 3 has a really strong finish. The last 3-4 episodes are a lot of fun.
I only had a problem because hey guys, Carrie is bipolar? remember? Hey Claire Danes, do that face again, because that'll get you an Emmy nom and our writers can do it next year if they want. I literally stopped I think right after they put her back into the crazy house and Saul comes to apologize or something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well yeah those episodes sucked. What a surprise that the show is a lot better when Brody is actually in it. He comes back in the latter half.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Ravane posted:

Character was 20 years old when he died. Just about a teenager.

Wrong. The character was 23 when he died. And if we're expanding the original question to include people in their twenties it becomes meaningless.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DominoDancing posted:

Wrong. The character was 23 when he died. And if we're expanding the original question to include people in their twenties it becomes meaningless.

quote:

While starring on Lost, Somerhalder was voted one of "20 Teens Who Will Change the World" by Teen People, despite being 26 years old at the time. Teen People also called him "the next Johnny Depp."

Where is your God now? :smuggo:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teen People is the leading authority on people who are teens.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Isn't that on Netflix or something by now?

Yeah, but I'd held off on binging until I get the correct episode order written down somewhere.

Speaking of which, they capped the marathon with one of the unaired episodes- which I could tell from the story arc and Chloe's characterization was from the first season and rather early to boot. ABC started loving with this show from Day One, didn't they?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, but I'd held off on binging until I get the correct episode order written down somewhere.

Speaking of which, they capped the marathon with one of the unaired episodes- which I could tell from the story arc and Chloe's characterization was from the first season and rather early to boot. ABC started loving with this show from Day One, didn't they?

Yeah, I think at least one of the episodes they aired as part of the second season was supposed to be part of the first.

Wikipedia articles are usually a good source of episode listings / orders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Trust_the_B

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 20, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Ravane posted:

Where is your God now? :smuggo:

Well, it's certainly not my fault that the guys at Teen People suffer from Dyscalculia.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Gotham is going to drive this loving forum crazy.

quote:

The setting is a mix of many different eras: characters use flip phones, but drive vintage cars and wear old-fashioned clothing.

"It's a mash-up, to use the modern phrase," Heller said. "To the degree that, if today Batman exists, then this world is the past, but it's everybody's past: an 18-year-old's past and a 50-year-old's past. In your memory, the past is all mashed up together. In this Gotham, it's a timeless world: it's yesterday, today and tomorrow all at the same time. That's the world dreams live in."

It really does sound like they know what they're doing, it's just a matter of if it's going to be embraced or not.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That actually sounds really interesting to me, going with a Tarantino-esque vague "pastness" rather than sticking to a specific era.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Haha. People are going to lose their poo poo over that. I like it, though. And yeah, it sounds like they really have an idea of what they want to do it and that's really what's most important.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That seems like an overly pretentious way to say that they just didn't want to set it in any specific era, but I like the idea.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

DivisionPost posted:

It really does sound like they know what they're doing, it's just a matter of if it's going to be embraced or not.

That's pretty much how they rolled in Batman: The Animated Series. The style was 1930s and the technology was all present day (or beyond).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It just seems like the right approach to a comic adaption. Comics live in that weird time period where Batman's been the same age for 50 years and all the major world changes still happen. Setting the show in the same kind of timeless place makes a lot of sense and gives you the same freedom comics have.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

Gotham going to be the worst thread in the fall?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hopefully several characters speak Middle English during a Skype conversation.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That is probably the best sounding thing I've heard about Gotham so far. The Joker gimmick thing is way worse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ChickenMedium posted:

That's pretty much how they rolled in Batman: The Animated Series. The style was 1930s and the technology was all present day (or beyond).

Yeah, they had VCRs but TVs were in black and white. Also they had robots!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds kind of like the aesthetic that Caprica had.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

Sounds kind of like the aesthetic that Caprica had.

Also Superman Returns.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As a result of pure happenstance a few us have stumbled upon the greatest television show ever made. We now present to you the new Official TV Series of TVIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCg26VZ0bQ

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ChickenMedium posted:

Exactly what I was thinking. I now am actually looking forward to it when before I was somewhere between anticipation and cringe.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deadpool posted:

As a result of pure happenstance a few us have stumbled upon the greatest television show ever made. We now present to you the new Official TV Series of TVIV.

I think this was on the same time as Beetleborgs. Man there were a lot of bad power rangers rip offs.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I remember that. It was pretty rad and very, very 90's.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gonz posted:

I remember that. It was pretty rad and very, very 90's.

We may be doing a TVIV superfriends simuwatch of this masterpiece of television in the near future. Stay tuned!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think this was on the same time as Beetleborgs. Man there were a lot of bad power rangers rip offs.

Seeing as how Mystic Knights and Beetleborgs were both made by Saban, its hard to call them ripoffs.

Mystic Knights was the first attempt by Saban to do a Ranger style show without Japanese tokusatsu footage, though.

If you're going for actual ripoffs, though, you best go right for the king :magical:

http://youtu.be/qmhRKU5zBS8

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

We may be doing a TVIV superfriends simuwatch of this masterpiece of television in the near future. Stay tuned!

Truly our greatest achievement as a forum, if not as a people.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Deadpool posted:

I think I still have an action figures of the main dude lying around somewhere. I think I bought it at Walmart way back when.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MrAristocrates posted:

That actually sounds really interesting to me, going with a Tarantino-esque vague "pastness" rather than sticking to a specific era.

Doesn't sound that different from what they did with Batman TAS. (beaten, naturally)

Somehow I think that will be the least of the problems with Gotham.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

Nolan sure loved the Gotham train that Thomas Wayne brought to the city, so borderline steampunk is par for the course, I guess.

And Batman is still steep in 20s imagery, and it's not likely to change soon.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

raditts posted:

Doesn't sound that different from what they did with Batman TAS.

Except self-appointed BTAS nerds will irrationally hate it when Gotham does it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Also from the TCAs, this amazing quote:

@sepinwall: “There’s not really a shark to jump, because in the pilot, we kicked the shark in the teeth.” -Sleepy Hollow star Tom Mison #TCA14

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

VDay posted:

That seems like an overly pretentious way to say that they just didn't want to set it in any specific era, but I like the idea.

To be far if you don't over explain the premise like that you'd have a bunch of obnoxious nerds screaming that it didn't make any sense.

DivisionPost posted:

Also from the TCAs, this amazing quote:

@sepinwall: “There’s not really a shark to jump, because in the pilot, we kicked the shark in the teeth.” -Sleepy Hollow star Tom Mison #TCA14

I'm up for whatever Sleepy Hollow is going to do. As long as they don't kill the captain.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 21, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deadpool posted:

It's magical ancient Ireland, but it's also a 90s kid show so... a black guy!

The best thing about Big Bad Beetleborgs was how they fired the girl main character but didn't really feel like making up a reason for her to be replaced. So instead they just recast her by saying a magic spell changed how she looked and then added a new magic spell that made everyone else see her as the original person.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Seeing as how Mystic Knights and Beetleborgs were both made by Saban, its hard to call them ripoffs.

Mystic Knights was the first attempt by Saban to do a Ranger style show without Japanese tokusatsu footage, though.

If you're going for actual ripoffs, though, you best go right for the king :magical:

http://youtu.be/qmhRKU5zBS8

Ahaha what the gently caress?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Batman sounds like the Archer mode of current time(s).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

I hate how the actors all look like off-brand movie stars. The girl is a dead ringer for young Jennifer Garner and the black guy looks like every black guy who has ever been on Doctor Who. Its such a weird uncanny valley effect.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

It's magical ancient Ireland, but it's also a 90s kid show so... a black guy!

The best thing about Big Bad Beetleborgs was how they fired the girl main character but didn't really feel like making up a reason for her to be replaced. So instead they just recast her by saying a magic spell changed how she looked and then added a new magic spell that made everyone else see her as the original person.

Yeah I thought that was pretty loving stupid back then too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Shageletic posted:

Not being in the comic doesn't mean a thing for an adaption, I think. And even if he isn't a lead, I guess I've been burned by hokey teenage plots in other TV shows before. Can anyone think of the last teenage supporting castmember whose plots were ACTUALLY an interesting part of their respective shows?

Kenny Wangler on Oz
all the kids on The Wire

• Locked thread