Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

Explosions and sound and fighter dogfights in space are departures from reality we accept because they're cool. They also follow an internal logic: fighter battles in Star Wars resemble dogfights from WWII with formations, looping maneuvers to get on the other guy's six, etc. A hand falling through a planet's atmosphere and not burning up is just straight up calvinballing so you can tell your stupid story your way. They are not at all the same thing: your uncritical acceptance is as bad as the worst Wookiepedian sperging about TIE fighter engine loadouts and would let the writers off the hook for lazy bullshit.

It's pretty cool that your opinion about a Star Wars movie that hasn't even come out yet is correct and non-spergy, and an opinion you disagree with is incorrect and also spergy. Really very convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I said "as bad," not "as spergy." Please do not misconstrue my argument, Benedick Cuckold

e: Also I haven't even guessed as to what the final movie will be like. I read a small possible-spoiler about the opening and said it sounds monumentally stupid. There are many monumentally stupid things in, say, Star Trek 09 but it's still a fun well-made movie.

ee: Also I might as well point out, ST09 gets away with its biggest plot hole (there's no reason for Spock to have been marooned on the same world Kirk gets marooned on) because it's jammed between the second and third act in a fast-paced story and the film (cleverly) doesn't give you time to go "hey waitaminute." We're talking about the very opening of Star Wars VII here. No prior momentum to paste over the stupid.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 21, 2014

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
My mistake, Harime Nui. For the record, I, too, think a severed hand floating through space and falling through the atmosphere of a planet relatively unscathed is pretty dumb. I just don't think we need to go so far as to compare people here to Wookieepedians. There's no need for that kind of language.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I remember hearing that Carrie Fisher insisted on donning the Jabba Palace slave outfit at least once in the film. Does anyone know if she got in shape for this? I guess I could just cover my eyes.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Harime Nui posted:

If you hinge the entire premise of your movie on some wacky bullshit that violates the laws of the universe as we know it, you had drat well better explain it.

The explanation is its a movie set in a fictional world that is not real or realistic.

That is, if this leaked info is legit. I can't imagine that it is.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Yes, I know it's a made up not-real movie. More importantly it's a story, and it's a bad storyteller who provokes natural questions and then goes "well, just because." You can get irritated when a movie throws some old bullshit at you without being a fun-hating poindexter.

e: I agree it probably isn't even true, but I'm speaking broadly because it's a trend I've noticed in this forum that people use terms like tactical realism and wookiepedian as band-aids for lazy or poorly communicated storytelling

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 21, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

More importantly it's a story, and it's a bad storyteller who provokes natural questions and then goes "well, just because." You can get irritated when a movie throws some old bullshit at you without being a fun-hating poindexter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1WSD_cnRbA

quote:

e: I agree it probably isn't even true, but I'm speaking broadly because it's a trend I've noticed in this forum that people use terms like tactical realism and wookiepedian as band-aids for lazy or poorly communicated storytelling

That opening would be good at communicating that the movie is not set in a real or realistic world.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope the hand slaps the main character in the face as it falls to the ground with a whacky sound effect

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

I hope the hand slaps the main character in the face as it falls to the ground with a whacky sound effect

Sam Raimi is only directing Episode Nine.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Star Wars: Hand-Shaped Spaceships

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

That's a good monologue but not really what I was talking about. In the films that he listed that I've seen, none of those questions are implicit or obviously provoked by the film ("why is E.T. brown?") Star Trek gets away with having a gap in its backstory because it doesn't encourage you to stop and think about it.

A good storyteller knows how to direct an audience's attention. That's why in an expertly paced film like Aliens, we don't stop and wonder why the Company only sends a platoon of marines in a ship obviously built for far more. It's easy to beat on inarticulate nerds when they try to pick apart a movie, but often what that means is the movie failed to keep their attention, failed to be entertaining.

Storytelling is basically selling a lie: the best lies don't get bogged down in a lot of naggly details but they don't provoke further questioning either.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wrong "Star" movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I knew what this was going to be before I even read all of your post. :3: Fuckin' masterpiece.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Red posted:

Please, God, let this be the last post about the science of a hand floating in space.

Lord, I know Goons are a spergy lot, but this thread tests even my patience.

I wasn't even referring to a hand floating in space, what the gently caress are you talking about dude?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

That's a good monologue but not really what I was talking about. In the films that he listed that I've seen, none of those questions are implicit or obviously provoked by the film ("why is E.T. brown?") Star Trek gets away with having a gap in its backstory because it doesn't encourage you to stop and think about it.

A good storyteller knows how to direct an audience's attention. That's why in an expertly paced film like Aliens, we don't stop and wonder why the Company only sends a platoon of marines in a ship obviously built for far more. It's easy to beat on inarticulate nerds when they try to pick apart a movie, but often what that means is the movie failed to keep their attention, failed to be entertaining.

Storytelling is basically selling a lie: the best lies don't get bogged down in a lot of naggly details but they don't provoke further questioning either.

I haven't said anything about "inarticulate nerds". But as for that trend you're referring to, holding fictional stories to these standards of reality is silly and fruitless because it means holding them to a standard they can never really meet; fiction is fundamentally not real. Criticizing a piece of fantasy fiction by cataloguing its many lapses in realism is as foolish as criticizing Michelangelo's David by listing its many failures as a watercolor painting. In both cases the work fails in so many ways at being what the critic wants it to be because it is entirely not that at all. A lie will never be true. If a viewer is simultaneously wanting to accept a film's lie and looking for reasons not to that their own confusion, not a flaw of the film. Instead of trying to accept a lie as truth you can just accept that fiction is fictional.

Anyway, what you're saying there now doesn't seem relevant to the supposed leak. We don't know how that sequence would be paced in the actual film, but the way its described it sounds like the movie just runs with it and doesn't encourage the audience to stop and think about it.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 21, 2014

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Can't believe nobody posted this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQduN315etk

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Disney must have seen my Addams Family/Star Wars crossover fic.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

If you play it right you could do the hand falling from space in a non-stupid way. Just have it fall inside some kind of spaceship debris that burns up around the hand and as it lands the hand is tossed out of the burning debris. The landing debris is what causes the youngsters to go out and search what has happened.

Ads a little more plausibility to the situation even if it's still outlandish and far-fetched.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

the hand comes into focus. it is jar-jars. it extends a middle finger. cue credits

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

zVxTeflon posted:

the hand comes into focus. it is jar-jars. it extends a middle finger. cue credits

Jar-jar also emerges from the wreckage, reattaches his hand, and proceeds to walk like this around various Star Wars locales for the next two hours. Score by Danny Elfman.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

zVxTeflon posted:

It's Jar Jar's hand allright, still attached to his arm. But the arm has been shoved up his rear end. Jar Jar's final scream of pain and horror frozen forever because he was kicked out an airlock, condemned to be floating forever in space.

Audience cheers, voted best Star Wars film ever.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If Empire Strikes Back were coming out today, advance nerd reaction would be devastating.

'Luke spends half the film alone in a swamp with a funny-talking handpuppet??'

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If Empire Strikes Back were coming out today, advance nerd reaction would be devastating.

'A snow planet? Way to be original, Lucas. :jerkbag:'

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 22, 2014

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Let's be clear: at the time, people did say that. The universal acclaim for ESB didn't gel until later.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Madurai posted:

Let's be clear: at the time, people did say that. The universal acclaim for ESB didn't gel until later.

Exactly. Of the Star Wars films that exist, Empire is easily the least 'Star-warsy' - moreso than any of the prequels. For example: a large chunk of the plot involves sentient buildings, and sentient vehicles. This is never brought up again. The trippy vision quest scene? Nothing surreal like that will ever happen again, in the entire series.

Moreover, the basic approach to the Force is quite different. You have the introduction of telekinesis, and the theme of animism that courses through the whole thing. In Empire, everything is alive - from a ships to caves. A New Hope, on the other hand, takes place almost-entirely in barren deserts and the void of space. It's the difference between saying everything is magical and saying everything is poo poo.

This has lead to a situation where the vocal majority of Star Wars fans really don't like Star Wars very much.

In this thread, for example, compare the amount of hate for the prequels to the amount of praise for Empire. Nobody is willing or able to articulate what is actually good about Star Wars. People fixate on how the prequels aren't Star Wars, but 'Star Wars' - as they define it - never existed.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Star Wars: Handjob talk

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm pretty sure people complained about realism in many old movies. There's the "Rosebud" thing from Citizen Kane, or the dangling chains on the Nostromo in Alien. Over the years, their complaints eventually gets drowned out.

jeeves posted:

Star Wars: Handjob talk

Star Wars Episode VII: Cold Hand of Luke: Skywalker Eat The Eggs.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Star Wars: Episode VII:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

Star Wars: Episode VII:

:stare:

Please no

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

a large chunk of the plot involves sentient buildings, and sentient vehicles.

I don't recall a single sentient vehicle or building in ESB. Are you referring to the vision-cave on Dagobah? That's the closest thing I can think of.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

jivjov posted:

I don't recall a single sentient vehicle or building in ESB. Are you referring to the vision-cave on Dagobah? That's the closest thing I can think of.

Hes talking about the line were C3PO tells R2D2 not to trust strange computers (cloud city) and when he said he doesnt know how to communicate with the millennium falcon. So yeah 2 lines = huge chink of the plot :rolleyes:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

zVxTeflon posted:

Hes talking about the line were C3PO tells R2D2 not to trust strange computers (cloud city) and when he said he doesnt know how to communicate with the millennium falcon. So yeah 2 lines = huge chink of the plot :rolleyes:

I think he has a decent point. A surprisingly large part of the plot does hinge on these systems and R2 talking to them, even if it doesn't come up much in dialog.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Luminous beings, etc.

I'm almost finished with Clone Wars. It's good and everybody who likes Star Wars should watch it. Not every episode is a winner, but it reinforces and remains faithful to the prequels while addressing the formal issues that turned audiences against them. Most importantly, it actually reveals Anakin's feelings, his growing frustration and doubt towards the Jedi and the Republic, and every disillusioning event that convinces him "The Jedi are evil" except the very last one. Large parts of it read like propaganda pieces from the perspective of the eventual villains, the weak rationalizations that let the "guardians of peace and justice" live with their hypocrisy.

I'd call it basically a good version of Attack of the Clones.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

zVxTeflon posted:

Han and the gang spend the entire film trying to fix the Millenium Falcon's hyperdrive. The fact that R2D2 fixes the Falcon by 'talking to it' is fairly important.

Also, the entire end of the film takes place on Cloud City and there's a whole hacking thing going on with the Empire taking control of the security system, and then R2 hacking in to the central computer. The central computer is hooked up directly to that bald dude - it's the same kind of imagery that appears in Elysium.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Please address Lobot by his Christian name.

He definitely embodies some of the creepier aspects of the SW universe's cyborg technology though. He's pretty much a slave who got plugged into Cloud City to do IT for them. But it's ok because he finds the work really fulfilling.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Harime Nui posted:

Explosions and sound and fighter dogfights in space are departures from reality we accept because they're cool. They also follow an internal logic: fighter battles in Star Wars resemble dogfights from WWII with formations, looping maneuvers to get on the other guy's six, etc. A hand falling through a planet's atmosphere and not burning up is just straight up calvinballing so you can tell your stupid story your way. They are not at all the same thing: your uncritical acceptance is as bad as the worst Wookiepedian sperging about TIE fighter engine loadouts and would let the writers off the hook for lazy bullshit.

e: the spaceworm is something they threw into the movie because, again, it's cool. It has no significant impact on the story. It's seen for five seconds and you could cut it out completely and change nothing in the plot. If you hinge the entire premise of your movie on some wacky bullshit that violates the laws of the universe as we know it, you had drat well better explain it.

e: vvv It's literally the opening to The Gods Must Be Crazy on Tattooine. I can't envision it happening non-comedically.

Basically the whole argument devolves to "well as long as it looks cool then who cares". I'm not letting them off the hook for 'lazy bullshit' because I really don't see how it's lazy bullshit. It's a neat visual. On the one hand (fnar) you can't argue that something, no matter how wacky, is allowed in there because it just looks good, while suddenly calling out something that you don't think will look good enough.

For me it simply exists in the same realm of lightsabres and magical space wizards (Who are allowed, because they're cool). The worst thing is that I don't even like Star Wars that much, which is probably why I can easily detach myself from the whole argument. I just thought it was a novel way to open the movie and subverts expectations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I couldn't care less about the hand not buring up while entering the atmosphere. What bothers me is that the hand apparently lands on the planet without going splat and leaving pulverized bones and skin tissue all over the place.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I couldn't care less about the hand not buring up while entering the atmosphere. What bothers me is that the hand apparently lands on the planet without going splat and leaving pulverized bones and skin tissue all over the place.
Miniature parachute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Han and the gang spend the entire film trying to fix the Millenium Falcon's hyperdrive. The fact that R2D2 fixes the Falcon by 'talking to it' is fairly important.

I have always took that as (even from the age of 10) computer languages. You know it makes sense that walking computers talk computer language and R2 D2 is programmed to understand some and not all. R2 simply spoke to it by programming, its not a stretch, I 'talk' to my computers every day at work, but not in a 'Hi how are you' kind of way.

• Locked thread