Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Evidently Jalopnik got a sneak peek at what might be the 2016 Miata test mule, and surprise surprise there's a turbo under the hood. As well as carbon fiber all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

They'd better put this in an S60 or V70 or similar.

And not sell it in the US market

Because Volvo

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Augmented Dickey posted:

And not sell it in the US market

Because Volvo 'merica

Fixed that. European car companies (hell, even Ford) don't like bringing the cool toys over here. Hell even Mexico and Canada get poo poo we can't.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Devyl posted:

Evidently Jalopnik got a sneak peek at what might be the 2016 Miata test mule, and surprise surprise there's a turbo under the hood. As well as carbon fiber all over the place.

Link?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Devyl posted:

If any detail in automotive enthusiast history begs for the "One more thing..." treatment, it'd be this one.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
So fleet order sheets have verified that the Chevy SS is getting magnetic ride control and a manual transmission. The more I think about it, the more I think this car should've been a Buick. Chevrolet already has the Corvette (and Camaro, I guess) to excite people about the brand. Buick has nothing. A Grand National revival under the Buick name would be amazing, and the car would be well suited for it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Speaking of, I haven't heard much in the way of rumors about the supposed Grand National/GNX revival. Wasn't it supposed to be basically the same as the ATS-V?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Devyl posted:

How could you post this without a link?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Wheeee posted:

More like a $33k Audi TT.

:canada:

Actually, since the FWD based Audis use a stupid Haldex system instead of real Quattro I'd rather have FWD with an LSD regardless of price.

The TT-S ran C&D Lightning Lap faster than a 2011 M5. The GTI doesn't keep nearly as good company.

pre:
46 	3:04.6 	AUDI R8 	LL3 	8/07
66 	3:08.3 	LOTUS EVORA 	LL3 	2/11
67 	3:08.4 	AUDI TTS 	LL2 	2/10
68 	3:08.6 	FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0 	LL2 	2/11
69 	3:08.9 	JAGUAR XFR 	LL2 	2/11
70 	3:09.2 	LOTUS ELISE 	LL2 	11/06
71 	3:09.3 	CHEVROLET CORVETTE (Z51) 	LL2 	11/06
72 	3:09.4 	DODGE CHALLENGER SRT8 392 	LL2 	2/12
118 	3:18.6 	SUBARU BRZ 	LL1 	2/13
120 	3:19.0 	SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI HATCHBACK 	LL2 	11/08
121 	3:19.3 	VOLKSWAGEN GTI MkVI  	LL2 	2/10
122 	3:20.6 	CHEVROLET COBALT SS SUPERCHARGED 	LL1 	11/06
123 	3:20.8 	DODGE CALIBER SRT4 	LL1 	11/08
124 	3:20.9 	FORD MUSTANG GT 	LL1 	11/06
125 	3:21.4 	FORD FOCUS ST 	LL1 	2/13
Stupid or not, adding a haldex AWD system and 60 HP to a GTI makes a huge difference.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

The TT-S ran C&D Lightning Lap faster than a 2011 M5. The GTI doesn't keep nearly as good company.

pre:
46 	3:04.6 	AUDI R8 	LL3 	8/07
66 	3:08.3 	LOTUS EVORA 	LL3 	2/11
67 	3:08.4 	AUDI TTS 	LL2 	2/10
68 	3:08.6 	FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0 	LL2 	2/11
69 	3:08.9 	JAGUAR XFR 	LL2 	2/11
70 	3:09.2 	LOTUS ELISE 	LL2 	11/06
71 	3:09.3 	CHEVROLET CORVETTE (Z51) 	LL2 	11/06
72 	3:09.4 	DODGE CHALLENGER SRT8 392 	LL2 	2/12
118 	3:18.6 	SUBARU BRZ 	LL1 	2/13
120 	3:19.0 	SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI HATCHBACK 	LL2 	11/08
121 	3:19.3 	VOLKSWAGEN GTI MkVI  	LL2 	2/10
122 	3:20.6 	CHEVROLET COBALT SS SUPERCHARGED 	LL1 	11/06
123 	3:20.8 	DODGE CALIBER SRT4 	LL1 	11/08
124 	3:20.9 	FORD MUSTANG GT 	LL1 	11/06
125 	3:21.4 	FORD FOCUS ST 	LL1 	2/13
Stupid or not, adding a haldex AWD system and 60 HP to a GTI makes a huge difference.

Jesus, how much faster is the TT-RS going to be then?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
People always seem to post "Haldex LOL" but isn't their latest stuff pretty good?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Devyl posted:

That's from 10 weeks ago and the mule had a Chrysler VIN.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

So fleet order sheets have verified that the Chevy SS is getting magnetic ride control and a manual transmission. The more I think about it, the more I think this car should've been a Buick. Chevrolet already has the Corvette (and Camaro, I guess) to excite people about the brand. Buick has nothing. A Grand National revival under the Buick name would be amazing, and the car would be well suited for it.

Buick is supposively getting a ATS-V based grand national revival. Turbo v6 and rear wheel drive and all that.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

oRenj9 posted:

The new TTS has been bumped from the current 268 HP to 320 HP.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
At least on the old TT-RS there are aftermarket Haldex controllers that can control the front/rear bias. People were up in arms when Audi released an ECU update that changed the bias more toward the front on the TT-RS, the aftermarket controller did a pretty good job of moving more power to the rear.

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/product_haldex.html

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Sorry everyone, I thought I hyperlinked it in the post. Here it is: http://jalopnik.com/step-inside-the-ugliest-little-2016-mazda-miata-mule-in-1571275617

Phone posted:

That's from 10 weeks ago and the mule had a Chrysler VIN.

If you look close enough, the first two digits are for Mazda Japan.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If that big red circle wasn't in the way we could read the chassis code. It looks like it starts with an N...

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
They can keep the carbon fiber. That's just going to drive the price into 40-50k territory.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Devyl posted:

Sorry everyone, I thought I hyperlinked it in the post. Here it is: http://jalopnik.com/step-inside-the-ugliest-little-2016-mazda-miata-mule-in-1571275617

Like I said, from 10 weeks ago and it's still a Chrysler mule.

Still not seeing the turbo on the ND, though. :P

The Mazda is getting a hotter 2.0 Skyactiv, the Fiat/Alfa is getting the 1.4L Abarth motor.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
That Mazda2 would probably sell like hotcakes if they offered the Demio EV model here (NA), electric motor + small rotary engine powering a generator for when you run out of battery. Best of both worlds; battery for everyday, gas for when you occasionally do more than drive from home to work and back again.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The 2015 SS has options for a manual transmission and magnetic shocks. Once again making me annoyed they don't sell it in Canada. :canada:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Phone posted:

Like I said, from 10 weeks ago and it's still a Chrysler mule.

Still not seeing the turbo on the ND, though. :P

The Mazda is getting a hotter 2.0 Skyactiv, the Fiat/Alfa is getting the 1.4L Abarth motor.

If that's true then barring a major price discrepancy I can't see why you'd want the Mazda.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Devyl posted:

Same way both the FR-S and BRZ have Fuji (JF...) VINs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wheeee posted:

If that's true then barring a major price discrepancy I can't see why you'd want the Mazda.

I'd take the N/A every time - never been a fan of how power gets delivered on those small capacity turbos, and Skyactiv should give fuel consumption that is at least in the same ballpark.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

dissss posted:

I'd take the N/A every time - never been a fan of how power gets delivered on those small capacity turbos, and Skyactiv should give fuel consumption that is at least in the same ballpark.

Hmm you raise some good points, however,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Fd47g1PPU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What is the fascination of magnetic shocks? Do they handle a lot better? Track and comfort modes? Are they really expensive to fix or are they going to last forever...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Christobevii3 posted:

What is the fascination of magnetic shocks? Do they handle a lot better? Track and comfort modes? Are they really expensive to fix or are they going to last forever...

ideally, having a computer being able to adjust the shock on the fly based on sensor input is pretty neat.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

MagneRide basically makes the car handle better while making it more comfortable. It's used in most Cadillacs (depending on trim/options), all current Ferraris, and some Audis and Acuras.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Wheeee posted:

Because Mazda knows what they are doing

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Nodoze posted:

Reason 2: You can find a Mazda dealer

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Nodoze posted:

The car will still be a Mazda and probably even made on the same production lines, just with an SRT engine and if there's one thing Chrysler does better than Mazda it's engines, especially from the SRT group.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wheeee posted:

The car will still be a Mazda and probably even made on the same production lines, just with an SRT engine and if there's one thing Chrysler does better than Mazda it's engines, especially from the SRT group.

How about transmissions?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PCOS Bill posted:

How about transmissions?

Chrysler doesn't make any manual transmissions so unless you were shopping for an automatic miata it's not particularly relevent?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Should the 1.4T be considered a Chrysler engine? Didn't Fiat have it before the buyout?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Power numbers are out for the 2.7 ecoboost in the f-150, 325hp/375ft/lb

Here it is out-towing the ecodiesel ram and 5.3 V8 silverado. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n2uEx8CojE

Also, yet more evidence that the ecodiesel ram is slow as balls.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

My understanding of the engine in the Abarth is that it's been thoroughly gone over by SRT on the North American models.

Chrysler has a long history of putting out crazy poo poo, some of which is terrible and some of which is awesome, but their track record on boosted I4 engines swings heavily toward crazy awesome and from what I've read the Abarth engine is a stout little fucker.

Powershift posted:

Power numbers are out for the 2.7 ecoboost in the f-150, 325hp/375ft/lb

Here it is out-towing the ecodiesel ram and 5.3 V8 silverado. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n2uEx8CojE

My concern with the new 2.7 Ecoboost is that the Powerstroke, which uses the same block technology from what I can tell, has never been particularly reliable and that unless it's priced quite aggressively the V6 Ecoboost will just be a much more attractive option for a full-size truck.

Ford's new 2.7 Ecoboost combined with the lighter aluminum body certainly has the potential to be completely ground-breaking, but I wouldn't put my money on it over the more proven V8 or V6 Ecoboost until it's been on the market a few years. They've done their well-marketed durability tests but those don't necessarily reflect how mass-produced examples will hold up in terms of failure rate in the wild.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 23, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Chrysler doesn't make any manual transmissions so unless you were shopping for an automatic miata it's not particularly relevent?

I know this isn't a popular opinion here, but I would give my left nut for an automatic (or DCT) Abarth. My wife absolutely will not let me have a manual car, so my choices of hot hatches are limited to... uh... the MINI Cooper S, I guess?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wheeee posted:

My understanding of the engine in the Abarth is that it's been thoroughly gone over by SRT on the North American models.

Chrysler has a long history of putting out crazy poo poo, some of which is terrible and some of which is awesome, but their track record on boosted I4 engines swings heavily toward crazy awesome and from what I've read the Abarth engine is a stout little fucker.

My concern with the new 2.7 Ecoboost is that the Powerstroke, which uses the same block technology from what I can tell, has never been particularly reliable and that unless it's priced quite aggressively the V6 Ecoboost will just be a much more attractive option for a full-size truck.

Ford's new 2.7 Ecoboost combined with the lighter aluminum body certainly has the potential to be completely ground-breaking, but I wouldn't put my money on it over the more proven V8 or V6 Ecoboost until it's been on the market a few years. They've done their well-marketed durability tests but those don't necessarily reflect how mass-produced examples will hold up in terms of failure rate in the wild.

The 2.7 Ecoboost is also a V6, just a baby little one. I'd be surprised if it doesn't share some parts with the 3.5 V6 ecoboost for economies of scale.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KillHour posted:

I know this isn't a popular opinion here, but I would give my left nut for an automatic (or DCT) Abarth. My wife absolutely will not let me have a manual car, so my choices of hot hatches are limited to... uh... the MINI Cooper S, I guess?

GTI, previous WRX hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I saw my first i3 in the wild today. Goddamn is it overstyled. I find it quite ugly from the rear, front makes me throw up the normal way rather than losing it at both ends.