Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

That lady is about two inches of fabric away from overalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ravane posted:

I don't deny that there aren't undiscovered classics like the ones you have listed, but considering that they have not made it into mainstream fame like the original Star Wars and the new Star Trek films, they're considered unsuccessful in my opinion. I've never even heard of those movies.

Aren't you the guy who didn't know who Alfred Hitchcock was? Maybe you shouldn't pretend to be the world's leading authority on what is and isn't part of popular cinematic history.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What are you even trying to do, Ravane? You already pulled out the whole puppetmaster thing, you're not fooling anyone.

e: ^ Really not helping my case, dude

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

you're not fooling anyone.

Word? 'Cause it looks like a whole bunch of people are arguing with him in earnest.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Into Darkness was a rushed clusterfuck of a production thanks to studio meddling. Whether or not this excuses a bad half-finished product depends entirely on whether or not the person who got screwed over is somebody the hivemind likes or dislikes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

Word? 'Cause it looks like a whole bunch of people are arguing with him in earnest.

I assumed people could remember that far back. I was wrong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like the original Star Trek show because it had giant Abraham Lincoln in space and stupid time travel episodes. I know people who like the newer shows and I do not understand why. They are loving boring. And Data is a dumb character. Patrick Stewart wasted so many years on that poo poo. :mad:

e: it would be like if Sir Ian McKellan had been on 9 seasons of Stargate or something

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Into Darkness was a rushed clusterfuck of a production thanks to studio meddling. Whether or not this excuses a bad half-finished product depends entirely on whether or not the person who got screwed over is somebody the hivemind likes or dislikes.

I don't care about Abrams one way or the other, I just think that movie sucks.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Into Darkness didn't suck. It just wasn't as good. I like Abram's movies (lens flare and all), but Into Darkness was my least favorite of them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I liked Into Darkness and all my friends did and so did critics and audiences in general and it made a poo poo ton of money and the only people I've seen bitch about it are internet dorks on these here fora.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Like, I guarantee you that if Rian Johnson put out a clunker of a sci-fi blockbuster thanks to having to shoot without a finished script and losing the actor who played the villain it would be nothing but back-patting apologism. But people who are still bitter that JJ Abrams didn't give a rational scientific explanation for why the magic island on Lost was magic aren't going to let an excuse to make lensflare jokes get away that easily.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's times like these when i'm glad I never watched a single episode of Lost. It sounds like it was more trouble than it was worth.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

I like the original Star Trek show because it had giant Abraham Lincoln in space and stupid time travel episodes. I know people who like the newer shows and I do not understand why. They are loving boring. And Data is a dumb character. Patrick Stewart wasted so many years on that poo poo. :mad:

e: it would be like if Sir Ian McKellan had been on 9 seasons of Stargate or something

You mean it would have been really super awesome and good?

Because Stargate and TNG were both really super awesome and good, well, not so much the replicators and Tasha Yar. But you take that poo poo back about Data.

Also Q owns so hard how can you not like Q?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gonz posted:

It's times like these when i'm glad I never watched a single episode of Lost. It sounds like it was more trouble than it was worth.

Only when you read/post on a message board about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gonz posted:

Lost was fine it just ruined internet TV discussion forever and ever.

IRQ posted:

You mean it would have been really super awesome and good?

Because Stargate and TNG were both really super awesome and good, well, not so much the replicators and Tasha Yar. But you take that poo poo back about Data.

Also Q owns so hard how can you not like Q?

TNG is like half good episodes and DS9 is 75% good episodes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Like, I guarantee you that if Rian Johnson put out a clunker of a sci-fi blockbuster thanks to having to shoot without a finished script and losing the actor who played the villain it would be nothing but back-patting apologism. But people who are still bitter that JJ Abrams didn't give a rational scientific explanation for why the magic island on Lost was magic aren't going to let an excuse to make lensflare jokes get away that easily.

People make plenty of excuses for why Elysium sucks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
TNG has maybe 20 total "good" episodes and most of them involve Q and also holodecks so they barely count as Star Trek episodes since they're cheating to do Sherlock Holmes In The Holodeck or Film Noir In The Holodeck or whatever.

Maybe more bad shows should have a holodeck.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DS9 is the only Star Trek I can stand. I only like 4 episodes of TNG. Riker is a creep and I loving hate Wesley.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Everyone hated Wesley, although Riker was awesome.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

zoux posted:

Lost was fine it just ruined internet TV discussion forever and ever.

I wonder how well-regarded Lost would have been if it aired in the 90s. No show- past or present has been as heavily scrutinized as Lost.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only reason why Lost got the attention that it did is because it was one of the first genre shows that somehow managed to attract a mainstream audience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

DS9 is the only Star Trek I can stand. I only like 4 episodes of TNG. Riker is a creep and I loving hate Wesley.

Riker is the only man I know who looks equally bad with and without a beard. His face just can't win. He always looks like a smug rear end in a top hat.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

bull3964 posted:

The only reason why Lost got the attention that it did is because it was one of the first genre shows that somehow managed to attract a mainstream audience.
Even if you wanna argue Lost got mired in "mysteries that create more mysteries and answers that just post more questions" at least it didn't get mired in stupid sci-fi technobabble. That stuff scares mainstream audiences away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sober posted:

Even if you wanna argue Lost got mired in "mysteries that create more mysteries and answers that just post more questions" at least it didn't get mired in stupid sci-fi technobabble. That stuff scares mainstream audiences away.

I don't think there's anything particular about Lost that kept it from scaring the audience away. I think it just happened to be at the right place at the right time and they introduced the supernatural elements of the show slow enough that people got invested in the show and didn't want to stop watching.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Or "audiences hate sci-fi" is wrong and people actually like fantastic elements in their movies/tv shows, which would explain the success of Avatar, Gravity, The Big Bang Theory, Superhero movies and Game of Thrones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I agree with Joe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Irish Joe posted:

Or "audiences hate sci-fi" is wrong and people actually like fantastic elements in their movies/tv shows, which would explain the success of Avatar, Gravity, The Big Bang Theory, Superhero movies and Game of Thrones.

Point of fact, every example you gave (barring the broad category of Superhero movies) was post Lost, but that's not really the point I was trying to make. There have always been scifi blockbusters and there have even been high rated genre tv shows before.

Let's boil this down a bit more. Lost was the first high profile scifi/fantasy show in the post internet era that gathered a mainstream audience. That led to much more widespread discussion and media exposure. There wasn't anything special about it that made it a mainstream success and there's nothing that really warrants the level of discussion that surrounds it compared to other shows. It just happened to show up at the right place at the right time to embed itself in the culture.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 23, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd say "heavy serialization" was a bigger factor in its success than "genre".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zoux posted:

That's what I figured. Lost seemed like one of the first network shows to take full advantage of serialization in the DVD age, and that's what initially attracted people.

Cable shows had been doing it, but cable shows had much more limited reach.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

24? Came out 3 years before Lost. I know it's the first show that I ever binge watched. I felt crappy but it was so addicting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zoux posted:

I agree as well. I wasn't saying anything about genre being a factor in the success, only about the level of discussion it raised.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Turns out, everyone loves a soap opera.

The British figured this out decades ago.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mu Zeta posted:

24? Came out 3 years before Lost. I know it's the first show that I ever binge watched. I felt crappy but it was so addicting.

Yeah, 24 was another one.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Like, I guarantee you that if Rian Johnson put out a clunker of a sci-fi blockbuster thanks to having to shoot without a finished script and losing the actor who played the villain it would be nothing but back-patting apologism.

Dude, I want so badly to agree with your main point, but you are giving way too little credibility to people who want to be on the cutting edge.

It's this simple: We build idols up, then people find reasons to knock them down, legit or otherwise. Before Abrams, it was Whedon. Now it's happening with Christopher Nolan, and it can absolutely happen with Rian Johnson, regardless of whether or not he crushes VIII.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
It would be nice if people stopped constructing idols so normal people could have reasonable discussions without a bunch of reactionaries screaming about how we're tearing someone or something down for 'street cred.'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Dude, I want so badly to agree with your main point, but you are giving way too little credibility to people who want to be on the cutting edge.

It's this simple: We build idols up, then people find reasons to knock them down, legit or otherwise. Before Abrams, it was Whedon. Now it's happening with Christopher Nolan, and it can absolutely happen with Rian Johnson, regardless of whether or not he crushes VIII.

Oh Star Wars is hosed. Internet "critics" made so much hay out of skewering the prequels that they and every wannabe youtube star is slavering at the chance to be the next RLM that they are going to go after it hard no matter what.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We don't have to worry about normal people and reasonable discussions here.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Into darkness was a great summer action movie. Perfect amount of action, worth 10 bucks. I understand if you hate it because you're a longtime trek fan but your version of the franchise is long dead and nothing will ever revive it.

Yes I was talking about the dragons tail stuff before, didn't realize that they were after the bombs, bummer.

People who parrot RLM are the worst. RLM did to opinions what lost did to discussion.

Lost still rules though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't remember anything about Star Trek Into the Moon. I think San Francisco blew up and Sherlock pretended to be some other guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I distinctly remember Heroes Chat being quite a bit worse than LOST Chat.

Then again, people who like comic books are terrible and broken as a general rule.

• Locked thread