Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Oddhair posted:

DrPain, you've helped me again already. A coworker came out of the office yesterday evening while I was wrenching on my project car, and he kind of danced around basically asking me "Should I recharge my AC blindly?" Only from reading through this thread did I even have the knowledge (well, memories of shredded compressor bits by the handful) to explain why it was a bad idea. I have since found Motronic's AC thread, and I was able to better articulate to him his best course of action. Since he has zero cooling I figure we'll test with the gauge kit I'm going to pick up tomorrow just in case it provides any useful info, but he's likely going to be taking this Lexus GS to a shop.

Also, in case anyone is interested, my coworker and her Mustang "Harry" also have an honest shop. The ECU didn't fix the hesitating issue or the code, and the owner isn't going to charge for any of that labor or shipping, or of course the part. We'll see how they do in the end, it's clear they don't have the diagnostic acumen that your shop does.

That's a shop to stick with.

Also, I'm glad I'm not alone in the "hey I bought this recharge kit with a 25 cent chinese pressure gauge and snakeoil leakfix included, should I use it?!" questions from coworkers :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
We've come off our busy spell, and are back into manageable workflow territory. However, I loving threw my back out this morning moving 5gal water bottles around and so I'll be going on hiatus for a few days.

I'll leave you with these teasers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even with all of the signs that it's owned by someone without the slightest bit of sense (tonneau cover, wheels, sketch-as-hell accessory drive, no fan shroud, hilariously wrong-sized hose clamp, and what I fear might still be four-wheel drum brakes)... a C10 is still a good looking truck. :allears:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Oddhair posted:

the owner isn't going to charge for any of that labor or shipping, or of course the part

How does a business that does this survive?

e: What I mean to say here is that are all automotive problems so exact of a science that your average shop should be able to exactly pinpoint the cause of a problem without spending some labor to diagnose and replace parts that could be causing the issue?

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 17, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Extra posted:

e: What I mean to say here is that are all automotive problems so exact of a science that your average shop should be able to exactly pinpoint the cause of a problem without spending some labor to diagnose and replace parts that could be causing the issue?

Except in pretty rare cases, yes. A good mechanic should be able to figure out exactly what is causing the problem without just shotgunning parts at it. In many shops if a tech fucks up they eat the parts bill personally, which also gives incentive to get it right the first time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even with all of the signs that it's owned by someone without the slightest bit of sense (tonneau cover, wheels, sketch-as-hell accessory drive, no fan shroud, hilariously wrong-sized hose clamp, and what I fear might still be four-wheel drum brakes)... a C10 is still a good looking truck. :allears:

Don't forget the plugged PCV port on the carburetor! It might have one of those tubes that creates vacuum from a header, but... I doubt it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Extra posted:

Any good shop has a good working relationship with the local part stores (generally Napa, CarQuest, and O'Reillys in my area - AutoZone if they're desperate). A good shop can usually return parts without a restocking fee, the parts store just picks them up the next time they drop off parts. There's usually a couple of distributors involved too, for stuff like batteries. If it's a parts failure on a part the shop replaced, some distributors will reimburse the shop for the labor, but this isn't always the case. My regular mechanic generally eats the labor on warranty stuff; he CAN get reimbursed on it from his regular suppliers, but being a very busy 1 man operation, he claims the paperwork to get reimbursed often takes more time than actually doing the work. i.e., the time to fill out the paperwork is time he could be spending doing work (he bills $80/hr @ book rate, which is at the high end of an indie shop in the area, but IMO the quality of work he does is more than worth what he charges - and regulars get a bit knocked off of book).

I know my mechanic mostly orders from Napa and O'Reillys. They both stop by at least once a day to drop off parts; they pick up cores, defects, and "well poo poo, I misdiagnosed that" parts at the same time. The last part of that is pretty rare for him. His battery guy usually swings by once or twice a month unless he needs a battery he doesn't usually stock (he carries Continental as his main line).

When I was up there the other day, he had a pretty big misdiagnosed issue with the a/c on a Civic. System was clogged to poo poo, he tossed a bunch of new parts at it based on the pressure readings he was seeing... with no improvement. Eventually found out the desiccant pack in the receiver/dryer had opened up and clogged the condenser. He'd swapped the evaporator core and expansion valve before realizing what had happened; he'd only run into it once before on that generation Civic. He charged the customer for the receiver/dryer + labor on that.... he probably lost 10+ labor hours on that car, but told the customer what happened, what he did, and that it was pretty rare for that particular issue (thus explaining why he had it for 2 days). He was finishing it up when I showed up - the air coming out of the vents was goddamned ice cold, and it was a 98 with nearly 200k. The customer was happy when they got it, and nearly fell over when he told them how much time he actually spent on it (especially compared to the final bill, which was basically a new dryer + labor to blow the desiccant poo poo out of the condenser). I've also never seen a Civic interior go back together so quickly, he'd just started putting the dash back in when I showed up. I was there a bit over an hour, it was fully assembled (and he'd also worked on an Accord, and my Ion, in that time).

Funny thing is, while I was there, a much newer Accord rolled in with a complaint of the a/c not cooling well. Exact same results on the gauges (those exact results I don't remember exactly, but...). Apparently it's a much more common issue on 04+ Accords than most stuff he works on though. It was fully charged when he recovered the refrigerant.

He's a one person shop, so it's not as big of a hit on his shop finances when he misdiagnoses something, in some ways. But it comes straight out of his wallet when he loses labor. That said, he does great work and generally has a waiting list of at least a day or two to even do an oil change. I've known him since 1998, and he's worked on every car I've ever owned except for my first one (1980 Ford).

Taking mom's car up there to get :420: smoked out soon (it's throwing 2 evap leak codes, and he has a smoke machine). Taking mine back up there soon to just get the a/c topped off; pretty sure mine's down to almost nothing, and he has a sexy RobinAir machine sitting there. He's not even in the same area code as me (or county), but between knowing him for so long and knowing how honest he is, I'd much rather make the 35 mile drive and toss him money to fix it (instead of finding some random shop that may or may not be terrible or awesome). He's let me work out payment plans when I'm in a tight spot, but I've only done that once with him (and I really hate doing it; I'd rather pay upfront whenever possible).

tl;dr: he's the same level as shop owner as DrPain, IMO.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 17, 2014

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Man, I wish I could find a local mechanic like that... I've been fairly fortunate thus far in that everything that has gone wrong with my vehicles I've been able to diagnose and fix myself, but I know that one of these days I'll be completely stymied by something and have no idea where to turn.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

OSU_Matthew posted:

Man, I wish I could find a local mechanic like that... I've been fairly fortunate thus far in that everything that has gone wrong with my vehicles I've been able to diagnose and fix myself, but I know that one of these days I'll be completely stymied by something and have no idea where to turn.

I've got a freaking fantastic one in my rear end-end-of-nowhere town. He's a loving wizard, and doesn't charge enough. I always pay him more than he's asking, since he so severely undercharges I worry that he won't stay in business. Guy works on everything from lawn mowers to snow blowers to cars to dump trucks, and if its a mechanical device, he can fix it. Its all word of mouth - so just find people who seem to know cars, and start asking them who's good in town. Eventually you'll find gold.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

Don't forget the plugged PCV port on the carburetor! It might have one of those tubes that creates vacuum from a header, but... I doubt it.

It's got a combo breather/oil filler cap setup and yet the valvecover doesn't seem to be slathered in oil (hard to day) so even though it's puking whatever blowby it has to the atmosphere, it's probably not massive.

The 350 I had in my truck before the LS1, especially with the Vortec heads bumping compression? That thing had some massive blowby. PCV vacuum feed on one valvecover, push-in breathers in both, and it would still ooze oil everywhere. Before I did the dual push-in it would pop the dipstick out!

I put something like 20-30k on it like that :v:

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Let's talk about this C10 for a moment.

The owner has spent a ton of money restomodding it, but he's done it all wrong.

He gave us this high torque starter to install, but none of the shims to make it engage the flywheel correctly. I tracked down the shims for the starter at speed shop so it could get installed.

If you're good at eye-spy you can see the old steering column here on a very cluttered work bench. His complaint with the column was that the gear shifter was very hard to get out of park. That problem could have been repaired without replacing the column entirely, but he had it towed in with a gofast aluminum steering column in the passenger seat.

So we installed it.

The engine has no oil dip stick. The tube broke off in the block, but luckily it has a port for a tube on both sides of this engine, so we attempted to install the customers supplied dipstick.

Emphasis on attempted to. The tube he gave us was so cheaply made it broke apart attempting to install it.

The accessory brackets are all, all wrong. He's got a gofast water pump installed that sits too far forward, and the crank pulley looks to be installed incorrectly as well.

Long story short, it's a loving mess.

By the customer's own admission "I CAN DO AN OIL CHANGE, BUT I JUST FEEL LIKE I'M IN OVER MY HEAD ON THIS PROJECT".

And how. :allears:

He's also a 49ers fan. Bleh. I hold a special grudge against the Niners because they drafted known rear end in a top hat Colin Kaepernick out of that school in Reno. I worked in the athletics department all through my time at UNLV, and it is my personal opinion that Kaep wouldn't have been an NFL prospect if UNLV had managed to field any kind of defense against that fucker who padded his stats by running up the score every loving time we played them and lost. I was forced to watch each and every one of these woodshed beatings live from the sidelines when I was working football season. College rivalries never die. I had hoped he would fade away into nothingness but nope, the goddamn Niners had to go and draft him and then give him the starting QB job! Dick. Jerks. Ask me how I really feel. To hell with the Niners and to hell with Kaepernick. You don't know the heartache of watching your friends and classmates get decimated by a showboating jerk running a gimmick offense for 4 straight years only to be kicked in the teeth when the world's greatest sports league rewards him with a starting position. Richard Sherman is the truth. When he tipped that awful pass to force the game winning interception in the NFC Championship Game last season I went off. Whenever I'm sad I just pull up that clip on youtube.

If my football rant didn't put you to sleep like newguy the other day:

Then I'd like to continue on with some other jobs we've been handling lately.

A 2003 Hyundai Elantra came in with complaints of A/C inop.

Step one: Open the hood. Step two: Open your eyes.

What I mean by that is before addressing the A/C complaint, make note of things like this upper radiator hose leaking through the layers.

And this leaking fuel muffler.

Or these busted rear end strut towers.

While it's true that none of these things have anything to do with the customer's A/C complaint, it's checkered maintenance history and solitary A/C complaint on a driving appliance deserve a thorough inspection to prevent a break down in the future.

The system was completely devoid of refrigerant upon arrival, so we connected the A/C machine and shot a pound in for testing. It held pressure and began to cool.

We've got this goofy thing called a sniffer, which I didn't manage a picture of, but looks like this.

We used the sniffer on the system, which makes space invader noises in the presence of refrigerant. Indeed, it did make these noises down around the A/C compressor, but not at the front seal or seam.

This compressor utilizes a manifold plate which both the suction and discharge tubes attach to, and then allow refrigerant to flow into and out of the compressor. The gasket on said manifold plate, number 97710C in that diagram, is a common failure item. So we replaced it!

That's the new gasket. We reinstalled the compressor with new manifold plate gasket, charged the system to capacity, started the vehicle and took it on a test drive. The test drive was a success, the system cools as intended, and we parked it in front of the shop to let it idle. After about 20 minutes a large hissing noise began to emanate from the vehicle and the A/C stopped cooling once more. Further testing & inspecting led to the culprit, the seam in the compressor itself had began to leak. gently caress.

The seam and manifold plate are pictured here on the old compressor, which eventually got removed and replaced with a new part. Unfortunately, sometimes when an A/C system is left empty for so long and then suddenly cranked up and ran it can cool initially, but eventually some other part of the system will let go. In this case, the seam on the compressor decided to wait just long enough to gently caress us. The result of this lagging failure being we got to do the job twice, but only get paid for it once. In an effort to save the customer from purchasing a new compressor the first time around, and only replace that manifold gasket, we ended up making more work for ourselves.

That really sucked. :(

Meanwhile, one of my landscapers trucks was struck by thieves in the dead of night. A 97 GMC W4 flatbed.

It's got a locking fuel cap to deter siphoning.

But that doesn't mean anything when the fuel filler neck is exposed directly behind it. The thieves unscrewed the hose clamps on the filler neck and siphoned a bunch of fuel out of it. There's not much we can do to prevent this from happening again unfortunately, so we were only able to replace the filler neck. loving assholes took it with them, they could have at least left it on the back of the truck bed, goodness.

We also finally got the DIY timing mess done on that 06 Frontier.

The chain tensioner that he replaced is meant to move in one direction, and has a locking spring to keep it from slipping backwards. That was the spring the idiot had left over, pictured here.

The tensioner is driven by oil pressure, and as the guides wear down, that notched rod extends further outward to keep good tension on the chain. The spring locks into each one of those notches on the rod as it extends outwards. Without that spring installed, the tensioner would flop backwards when the engine is shut off and oil pressure is not present. That's Bad­™. Furthermore, the knucklehead got the timing marks on the main chain and cam gears misaligned, resulting in valve timing being just under 180 degrees out. Somehow it miraculously ran that way and did not destroy the valvetrain.

We ended up replacing all the main chain guides and tensioner, replacing the secondary cam chain shoes, resetting valve timing, reassembling the front of the engine, and taking it for a test drive. No check engine lights, all emission monitors set, and smog check performed. Whee!

This '04 Frontier is in slightly better shape. Slightly. It came in with complaints of coolant leak, check engine light, and failed smog. Our diagnosis has confirmed that the coolant leak is coming from under the intake, and the check engine light is illuminated for a knock sensor code, also under the intake. I would bet that knock sensors don't do well when soaked with coolant, and that one failure led to the other.

Pull that fuckin' intake off!

Some people don't understand what we mean by "it's under the intake". Lots of things are under the intake, engineers do this for what I can only assume are packaging reasons, or maybe they just hate mechanics, I don't know.

The fuel pressure regulator was also found to be leaking, and it's getting replaced along with the knock sensor at the top of this picture. I don't know why knock sensors are so stupid expensive, this one I found for $102, for what amounts to a very simple microphone. The PCM checks for certain sound frequencies being reported from the knock sensor to determine if the engine is knocking, and then adjusts timing to compensate for that. Why a simple 2 wire sensor is $102 seems beyond ridiculous to me.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 24, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wait, what the gently caress is going on here? Did the bushing liquefy?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
^^Hi Temp RTV!

The M120 Mercedes v12 has 4 of em under the intake.

You have to remove the cylinder heads to replace them because its a 30* v12.
While that Nissan is a huge bitch of a job, it ain' poo poo compared to what Germany can mill out.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wait, what the gently caress is going on here? Did the bushing liquefy?

It's on the opposite side of the frame which was cut to accomodate the mickey mouse headers, so to answer your question, yes.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 24, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sensors are a volume and engineering cost item, like most things.

Aftermarket companies IIRC basically have to reverse engineer the factory part and make one that fits the same specs. So a new vehicle is going to have an expensive sensor because they're still trying to make their engineering costs back. Also, because a new vehicle is unlikely to pop a sensor (in an ideal world... :v:) so volume is low, which brings me to the other point, if you aren't selling many of a sensor, your labor and machinery costs compared to materials costs are higher, so you have to sell em for more per unit to make it worthwhile.

Also, the fewer vehicles on the road use that sensor, the lower your volume is as a manufacturer, so the worse things get.

So a Standard Motor Products KS168 knock sensor is quite literally $13 because it fits four quadrillion Chryslers/Jeeps/Dodges from this century and some VWs and they can produce ten thousand of them and expect them to sell in the next few years, while a KS87 is loving $272 because it only fits 4 years of Nissan 300ZXs from the 80s, and gently caress you we don't want to do another 50-quantity production run of this drat thing because we are NEVER going to sell the rest of them. And both took the same amount of time to engineer.

(Thanks for provoking me to look into this, because now I know that the KS168 is super cheap and I already know where I can order the connector it plugs into for pennies uncrimped, it's just the same Junior Power Timer connector BMW/VAG love to use and Bosch puts on half their sensors and some fuel injectors. Gonna use those on all my projects that need knock sensors from now on :v:)

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 24, 2014

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I thought he had used that red brake grease to keep it from squeaking.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DrPain posted:

He's also a 49ers fan. Bleh. I hold a special grudge against the Niners because they drafted known rear end in a top hat Colin Kaepernick out of that school in Reno. I worked in the athletics department all through my time at UNLV, and it is my personal opinion that Kaep wouldn't have been an NFL prospect if UNLV had managed to field any kind of defense against that fucker who padded his stats by running up the score every loving time we played them and lost. I was forced to watch each and every one of these woodshed beatings live from the sidelines when I was working football season. College rivalries never die. I had hoped he would fade away into nothingness but nope, the goddamn Niners had to go and draft him and then give him the starting QB job! Dick. Jerks. Ask me how I really feel. To hell with the Niners and to hell with Kaepernick. You don't know the heartache of watching your friends and classmates get decimated by a showboating jerk running a gimmick offense for 4 straight years only to be kicked in the teeth when the world's greatest sports league rewards him with a starting position. Richard Sherman is the truth. When he tipped that awful pass to force the game winning interception in the NFC Championship Game last season I went off. Whenever I'm sad I just pull up that clip on youtube.

While I don't care about football, I feel that there is only one appropriate response to this.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

While I don't care about football, I feel that there is only one appropriate response to this.

We don't take kindly to your kind 'round these parts.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 24, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I, too, wish for an unreconstructed racist hillbilly to be my beloved mascot.

By the way can you make a trip up north to fix the a/c on my Benz thanks

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I, too, wish for an unreconstructed racist hillbilly to be my beloved mascot.

By the way can you make a trip up north to fix the a/c on my Benz thanks

Better than a pair of furry dingos.

I'd like to, but no.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

DrPain posted:

...the frame ... was cut to accomodate ... headers...

Jesus christ :ughh:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That guy has done everything wrong on that C10. It makes me sad for the truck but also for the guy. It seems like he really likes it but got all of his ideas for it from 90s era issues of Popular Hot Rodding and a Summit catalog. If he just had one friend that was actually into cars that could help him he could have avoided all those mistakes :(

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Fart Pipe posted:

That guy has done everything wrong on that C10. It makes me sad for the truck but also for the guy. It seems like he really likes it but got all of his ideas for it from 90s era issues of Popular Hot Rodding and a Summit catalog. If he just had one friend that was actually into cars that could help him he could have avoided all those mistakes :(

The customer states his "ASE Master Tech" friend from The Bay was helping him with the new engine install but had to go back home, so yeah. I think he's just really determined to make a terrible restomod.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That poor Elantra. How many miles are on it? I've never seen an upper rad hose split like that before, but it doesn't surprise me that they can.

Upselling seems like it's a tightrope to walk, when you see something that legitimately needs to be fixed you have to try and sell to the customer without them going :byodame: THE MECHANIC TRIED TO SCAM ME INTO BUYING ALL THIS STUFF THAT WASN'T BROKEN!! I BET A RADIATOR HOSE ISN'T EVEN A THING.

Not to mention that getting caught up on the maintenance would probably total that car out. It's a good thing the AC compressor broke while it was in your care.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's actually a bit of a bitch to find longtubes that clear these trucks for some reason but... yeah that's clearly someone not thinking at all. Especially since those aren't even longtubes, nor do they even seem to interfere with the frame at all.

I'd bet good money that go-fast column is one of the scores of cheap, awful Chinese columns that a lot of the truck boards love. New Zealand has banned them for good reason.

It's why I paid about the same amount for an actual GM van column that someone else had already cleaned up - even if it was in poo poo shape, the tilt joint in it is still a fail-safe design. The steering will go sloppy as poo poo but it will still work.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd bet good money that go-fast column is one of the scores of cheap, awful Chinese columns that a lot of the truck boards love. New Zealand has banned them for good reason.
This was some good reading. I'm not used to a government office having this level of actual technical knowledge, our highway act for motor vehicle compliance still has bits for horse drawn cars. They would never go so far as to do a publication about the state of steering yokes or collapsible-tilt functionality in a steering column.

Gonna have to track down more of these.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That poor Elantra. How many miles are on it? I've never seen an upper rad hose split like that before, but it doesn't surprise me that they can.

Upselling seems like it's a tightrope to walk, when you see something that legitimately needs to be fixed you have to try and sell to the customer without them going :byodame: THE MECHANIC TRIED TO SCAM ME INTO BUYING ALL THIS STUFF THAT WASN'T BROKEN!! I BET A RADIATOR HOSE ISN'T EVEN A THING.

Not to mention that getting caught up on the maintenance would probably total that car out. It's a good thing the AC compressor broke while it was in your care.

141k according to the invoice.

The way I approach upselling (and I hate to call it that, because the only upselling we do is always necessary other work, but whatever) is to diagnose the original customer complaint, put an estimate together for that, and also write up individual side estimates for the other jobs and present them in order of importance. This allows me to present our whole estimate to them as a kind of "restaurant menu" of services because everyone is familiar with ordering at a restaurant.

"Good evening and welcome to DP Repair. Your appetizer today will consist of a $50 diagnostic fee salad, followed by a $630 entree of A/C repair, and I highly recommend the $70 upper radiator hose and $60 fuel muffler side dishes. If you're not tapped out by that point, we are also serving a delicious gourmet roasted strut mount desert at an additional cost of $315, plus tax."

Not exactly like that, of course, but breaking up the estimate and listing order of importance really helps to avoid sticker shock and close sales that were not the original complaint. The other benefit of this being if a customer can afford one but not the other, giving them the choice to say yes or no to each add on job individually takes the "rip off" factor out of it. If the customer cares enough to get into a discussion of failure modes, then I'm happy to have that talk with them too, but most people don't and the normal response is, Whatever Just Fix It™.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's actually a bit of a bitch to find longtubes that clear these trucks for some reason but... yeah that's clearly someone not thinking at all. Especially since those aren't even longtubes, nor do they even seem to interfere with the frame at all.

It's why I paid about the same amount for an actual GM van column that someone else had already cleaned up - even if it was in poo poo shape, the tilt joint in it is still a fail-safe design. The steering will go sloppy as poo poo but it will still work.

According to the packaging, I believe it's one of these.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 24, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This was some good reading. I'm not used to a government office having this level of actual technical knowledge, our highway act for motor vehicle compliance still has bits for horse drawn cars. They would never go so far as to do a publication about the state of steering yokes or collapsible-tilt functionality in a steering column.

Yeah, it's remarkably in-depth and well done - especially when this would only apply to older customized vehicles since on nearly anything newer it's easier to get a factory tilt column than it is to get an aftermarket one.

DrPain posted:

According to the packaging, I believe it's one of these.

I'm impressed, then, since the rest of that truck screams cheap solutions. ididit columns are damned nice, and they're quite spendy. drat near $1k once you factor everything in. The cheap Chinese deathtraps go for between $200-$300 usually.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It seems to make sense until you find out that you can apply for an exemption to pretty much any rule in the book if you have enough money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

It seems to make sense until you find out that you can apply for an exemption to pretty much any rule in the book if you have enough money.

I suspect if you had that kind of money, though, you could just buy a not-poo poo column instead.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm all for such in-depth legislation until:

1) Approval is only ascertained by testing at their designated facilities. Give me a spec to work to, tell me what I must do, and confirm I did that if you want to? Fine, not a problem. Insist that I can only do this if I submit samples to your test lab, and pay you several grand to do testing which I have facilities available to do myself - for something that's a one-off for me, not something I want type approval for selling - then that's just cuntish behaviour.

2) It descends into "well we're engineers and we say so". Yeah? Well, I'm an engineer, and I say otherwise. Bring it. Tell me what the spec I need to meet is. gently caress your appeal to authority poo poo, put numbers on paper.

I don't mind rules and regulations over what may and may not be done, but I expect them to be based on actual facts, and be applied as a standard you must meet, not a process you must go through. It's the difference between having an exhaust sniffer test you have to pass at a given level, and being told you can't change certain things in case they affect the emissions, but not actually testing the emissions to check.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Glad you're feeling better Dr!

:rock:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

When I see things like this I wonder why all filters (fuel filters especially) are not clear for easy diagnosis.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

When I see things like this I wonder why all filters (fuel filters especially) are not clear for easy diagnosis.

Ease and cheapness of construction, not of maintenance.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Panty Saluter posted:

How many regular end users do you think are going to give anywhere close to a gently caress about whether they can see inside the fuel filter? I can almost guarantee that the vast majority of car owners don't even know a car has a filter for fuel.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Don't all plastics degrade with constant fuel contact? Those little filters see maybe 7psi, the one in my turbo car sees 70psi. Hell no I wouldn't trust a plastic filter.

I have used those filters on the inlet side of old FI cars with rusty tanks.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Left Ventricle posted:

How many regular end users do you think are going to give anywhere close to a gently caress about whether they can see inside the fuel filter? I can almost guarantee that the vast majority of car owners don't even know a car has a filter for fuel.

I just want the option :smith:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I'm all for such in-depth legislation until:

1) Approval is only ascertained by testing at their designated facilities. Give me a spec to work to, tell me what I must do, and confirm I did that if you want to? Fine, not a problem. Insist that I can only do this if I submit samples to your test lab, and pay you several grand to do testing which I have facilities available to do myself - for something that's a one-off for me, not something I want type approval for selling - then that's just cuntish behaviour.

'Straya, mate.

The whole steering column thing reminded me of something weird on the Fairlane. It has a wad of that heat insulating tape wrapped around a chunk of the steering column. I found out that was recall work. That was their solution to the header heat cycling the metal and causing the steering to snap. Top notch work there. Yep.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

IOwnCalculus posted:

After years of hassle trying to fit V8 tube headers in a truck not made for it, I figured out the ramshorn manifolds are just as good almost all the time, with almost none of the packaging concerns.

What exactly is a fuel muffler? Googling isn't bringing up anything meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's called a fuel pressure damper or fuel pulse damper, does exactly what it says on the box.

• Locked thread