Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember his voiceovers from WWF Attitude. He had a good evil laugh, at least.

Also it's kind of funny to hear Farrooq ramble about the apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
The Brood's entrance was loving rad though.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FgN3UEM2P8

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

The Brood's entrance was loving rad though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz63YgE6dos

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Outside of the Wrestlemania disaster against Lesnar, how do people generally view Goldberg's WWE run in 2003? I'm going through it right now on the Network, and I honestly think it's not half bad. Goldberg was never the most versatile worker, but the crowd seems like it was really invested in him and he always had that exciting presence. I'm having a good time watching his big PPV matches (I'm at Unforgiven now).

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 26, 2014

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Professor Funk posted:

Outside of the Wrestlemania disaster against Lesnar, how do people generally view Goldberg's WWE run in 2003? I'm going through it right now on the Network, and I honestly think it's not half bad. Goldberg was never the most versatile worker, but the crowd seems like it was really invested in him and he always had that exciting presence. I'm having a good time watching his big PPV matches (I'm at Unforgiven now).

The Elimination Chamber match with Goldberg is one of the reasons I hated HHH for a long time. I don't know how much damage it did in the long run but it pissed me off so bad.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Professor Funk posted:

It was received well-enough at the time. Goldberg comes in, has a few big-money matches then get a World title reign. The missteps were mostly due to it happened right in the middle of HHH's reign of terror so we got crap like him retaining at SummerSlam 2003 and winning the drat thing back two months later after Goldberg was finally given it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sir Jebus posted:

The Elimination Chamber match with Goldberg is one of the reasons I hated HHH for a long time. I don't know how much damage it did in the long run but it pissed me off so bad.

Going back to the negative mark out moments, that's a good candidate for that. Also a great example of what kind of booking caused the company to fall so far. They couldn't stop cutting their nose to spite their face.

Goldberg's run can be boiled down to that one match. They had him around for a bit, had him beat Rock, put him in stupid comedy vignettes, and waited too long to pull the trigger on making him champion even though HHH was injured. He looked like a killer in the match, and you figured they had something. Then they go with the gently caress finish and there was really no going back. After that match, the buzz was gone.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Rock put him over like a million bucks too. "The Rock ain't never been beaten that fast in his life."

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

2002 and 2003 were pretty much peak "Triple H beats a guy The Rock put over to prove some childish point."

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
With all of the podcasts, shoots, and Heyman Hustles, has Heyman ever addressed the dumb idea of merging WCW and ECW during the Alliance era?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Spikeguy posted:

If I remember correctly, this was the promo that sent Matt Hardy from the hottest babyface on Raw at the time that everyone was excited for back down to some rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJL27oUb1gY

I consider this the worst single promo in the history of wrestling. Completely serious.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Bard Maddox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKzh18yGKo0

This video title says "worst promo ever" so I think this counts on a technicality except for the fact that it's an amazing promo.

I lost it after "Do you like seeing people get hosed for free?" :dong:

His face shows the moment. I swear, you can see a reaction being held back after he realizes what he just said.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
King's "oh no, oh no no no" is my favorite.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I missed the conversation about it, but yeah, Triple H over Booker T might have been the exact moment I flipped from "regular wrestling fan" to "jaded internet wrestling fan."

I even LIKED Triple H at the time. But it just made no goddamn sense. It'd be like if this year at Wrestlemania, after all that buildup, the main event ended with Batista powerbomb and pinning Daniel Bryan in the middle of the ring.

Then Batista gets a mic and goes "Yeah, I guess you WEREN'T good enough to be champion." and confetti starts raining down.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

I missed the conversation about it, but yeah, Triple H over Booker T might have been the exact moment I flipped from "regular wrestling fan" to "jaded internet wrestling fan."

I even LIKED Triple H at the time. But it just made no goddamn sense. It'd be like if this year at Wrestlemania, after all that buildup, the main event ended with Batista powerbomb and pinning Daniel Bryan in the middle of the ring.

Then Batista gets a mic and goes "Yeah, I guess you WEREN'T good enough to be champion." and confetti starts raining down.

You are forgetting the most important part of that feud, the whole racist component.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

I remember CM Punk reenacted this promo on Art of Wrestling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Zn4R4CzsE

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Except Punk wasn't able to turn off enough of his natural charisma to accurately replicate it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Blast Fantasto posted:

It'd be like if this year at Wrestlemania, after all that buildup, the main event ended with Batista powerbomb and pinning Daniel Bryan in the middle of the ring.

That would have been my favorite mark out moment!

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

I lost it after "Do you like seeing people get hosed for free?" :dong:

His face shows the moment. I swear, you can see a reaction being held back after he realizes what he just said.

I just love the really contrived way he puts his fists up and then goes "I'm gonna gently caress him up. I'm gonna gently caress him up."

Also that the level of his voice doesn't change once.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I sort of remember someone talking about why Ziggler doesn't really get pushed. What was it that happened again? I love the Zigster :(

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

HogX posted:

I sort of remember someone talking about why Ziggler doesn't really get pushed. What was it that happened again? I love the Zigster :(

He's seen as injury-prone and it makes creative nervous.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also never underestimate WWE's spite for a guy getting over with the crowd when they didn't specifically want him to get over.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Spikeguy posted:

If I remember correctly, this was the promo that sent Matt Hardy from the hottest babyface on Raw at the time that everyone was excited for back down to some rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJL27oUb1gY

Wow. Not only was that really poorly performed, but the way he talked about Edge's death sounded really creepy to me, he didn't sound like a babyface at all.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

bartok posted:

You are forgetting the most important part of that feud, the whole racist component.

also

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It wasn't THAT long. He hooked the leg before the second plane hit.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

My MSPaint!! :aaaaa:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

oh god I'd never seen this hahahahaha

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Is there some reason that wrestlers in the 80's tended to use orchestral music in their intros, beyond the fact that they were probably cheap / free to use? I'd assume there isn't. I'd totally forgotten that Macho Man came out to "Pomp and Circumstance" and it does not make any loving sense to me.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

Is there some reason that wrestlers in the 80's tended to use orchestral music in their intros, beyond the fact that they were probably cheap / free to use? I'd assume there isn't. I'd totally forgotten that Macho Man came out to "Pomp and Circumstance" and it does not make any loving sense to me.

He used Pomp and Circumstances because he was a big fan of Gorgeous George and that's what he used. George was one of the first wrestlers to use an entrance theme.

As far as the other well known example, I assume Flair simply used the first part of Also Spracht Zarathustra because it was a very famous piece of music with an epic feel. Apparently Elvis used it as an intro theme as well which I didn't know until literally a minute ago.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 27, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I learned something today.

I always just thought that Macho's gimmick was he's smart and dangerous (And also manly and macho), and to reflect that he wore gloriously bedazzled graduation gowns and came out to Pomp and Circumstance.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

This is random but...why doesn't anyone do Russian Leg Sweeps anymore (in WWE)? I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Almost positive I've seen Sandow break one out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Professor Funk posted:

This is random but...why doesn't anyone do Russian Leg Sweeps anymore (in WWE)? I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Tyson Kidd did a second rope russian leg sweep at Nxt Takeover

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Sandow does one in nearly every match; I remember because he never actually hooks the leg, which always irritates me.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Sandow does one in nearly every match; I remember because he never actually hooks the leg, which always irritates me.

Ah, well that settles that, I guess I just don't pay attention for the two minutes a week that Sandow actually wrestles. :smith:

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Ambrose paid hommage to Sandman by doing a White Russian Leg Sweep to Cesaro on Smackdown this week as well.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'm trying to introduce my friend to wrestling since he's a big fan of bad anime about people winning fights with the power of heart and burning conviction so he seemed like a good target. The one thing he was wondering (and I know it happens a lot more in Puro) is if wrestling has a version of a very common trope from those kind of anime:

Basically its a fight with two faces in it, where whatever the situation is (tournament with random matches, heel organizing the bookings to pit his biggest enemies against each other, etc) you have two guys who are both honorable, by the book combatants and they neither of them turns heel to win. The drama is obviously tied up in how these good guys don't want to fight other good guys but still do because of honor, respect, etc

I was thinking of saying Rock/SCSA as a prime example, but in that case one of them was supposed to be a heel they were both just so over that people were going to scream like it was a Beatles concert no matter what anyone did.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I'm trying to introduce my friend to wrestling since he's a big fan of bad anime about people winning fights with the power of heart and burning conviction so he seemed like a good target. The one thing he was wondering (and I know it happens a lot more in Puro) is if wrestling has a version of a very common trope from those kind of anime:

Basically its a fight with two faces in it, where whatever the situation is (tournament with random matches, heel organizing the bookings to pit his biggest enemies against each other, etc) you have two guys who are both honorable, by the book combatants and they neither of them turns heel to win. The drama is obviously tied up in how these good guys don't want to fight other good guys but still do because of honor, respect, etc

I was thinking of saying Rock/SCSA as a prime example, but in that case one of them was supposed to be a heel they were both just so over that people were going to scream like it was a Beatles concert no matter what anyone did.

Bryan/Cena from Summerslam 2013 was face/face and had a subtheme of honourable fighting spiritu, complete with mutal face slaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You gotta show the promos in the weeks leading up to it, though, particularly the one that the slaps call back to.