Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheJoker138 posted:

Please do not talk about film production when you seem to not know anything about film production. "Decent lighting." Oh yeah, that's super easy, quick, and cheap :rolleyes:

This comes up a lot and honestly no one has actually told us people who know nothing about TV production anything about it, you shitheads just roll your eyes and go "as if you plebs know anything about it scoff scoff scoff". Clearly you're better than us and would never stoop to our level to explain anything to us knuckle-draggers.

edit:

TheJoker138 posted:

How long do you think it took for how many people to light the warehouse?

We don't know, that's why we keep asking about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

oatgan posted:

i guess you haven't watched the WWE Archives show because yes it's a guy with a camera in a decently lit warehouse that they clearly make on the cheap

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Perigryn posted:

Crosspost from TNA thread

This is a great tweet and I love Sempervive even more.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

so you're saying you haven't watched it

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Memento posted:

This comes up a lot and honestly no one has actually told us people who know nothing about TV production anything about it, you shitheads just roll your eyes and go "as if you plebs know anything about it scoff scoff scoff". Clearly you're better than us and would never stoop to our level to explain anything to us knuckle-draggers.

Lighting something, even just decently, can take literally hours, require several lights, tons of gear (light stands, extension cords, c-47s, etc.). For someone like WWE I would also assume that all of their technicians, gaffers, etc. need to be union, which adds to the cost. It's not as simple as "point light at thing, go." If you do that you get things that look like The Room or Birdemic. Lighting something properly is an art form unto itself, and even getting things to look kind of flat and boring but not absolutely horrible and jarring, like reality TV and the like, is not easy or fast.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
They have a lot of easy overhead/spot lights with the Warehouse and they stick with medium and two shots so they don't need to key Ben Brown or Joey Styles. With a sit down interview for anything like Countdown you are talking coverage, spot, key and accent lights which would require a light designer and at least several tech/grips. You can't use the same light designs for every person due to skin tone/what mood you're trying to set and what else you're wanting to have on screen. You're talking a good hour or so out of a shoot day for set up, and then constant readjustments which just tack on time.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

CVagts posted:

This is a great tweet and I love Sempervive even more.
He's still going :)

quote:

Somebody do a Leave The Memories alone video for Impact Wrestling that includes, A midget... A beatin' off... In a trash can. #ItHappened

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

oatgan posted:

so you're saying you haven't watched it

Just did. They've definitely got key lights behind the camera, and possibly overhead stuff hidden out of frames to get it lit as evenly as it is. They're also using edge lights because the people and objects stand out from the background. Either that or they have switched out all the bulbs in the warehouse with super bright film lights, possibly something like the LEDs found in an eco-punch.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Took me like 40 minutes+ to light a single office when filming a documentary and god forbid if they don't want you to black out the windows or something because that can add a ton of time, especially if the light changes and honestly the lighting wasn't even all that good

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TheJoker138 posted:

Just did. They've definitely got key lights behind the camera, and possibly overhead stuff hidden out of frames to get it lit as evenly as it is. They're also using edge lights because the people and objects stand out from the background. Either that or they have switched out all the bulbs in the warehouse with super bright film lights, possibly something like the LEDs found in an eco-punch.

I'm guessing an eco-punch because the kind of bulbs you'd have to replace the overheads with would be stupidly expensive given the short time period/little reward.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I'm guessing an eco-punch because the kind of bulbs you'd have to replace the overheads with would be stupidly expensive given the short time period/little reward.

That's what I'd guess too. They've probably got a couple of them up in the rafters out of the shot.

In the episode about the ring you can also clearly see when they stop spending so much time on lighting, which is when they go outside. They're using, I'd guess, all natural sunlight there, and it's all worse looking than the inside stuff.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Thank you, honestly. I mean, I can google what an eco-punch is, but it's a lot harder to do a search on "how do you light a show in a warehouse" and not get something that is either complete bullshit, or seventeen pages of intricacies. Much better to get it boiled down by a technical person in the business.

The only thing I know about lighting is that when you're lighting up a drill-rig at night, more=better until the generator truck is at capacity.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
And here's another thing: We're only talking lighting.

Even with the advanced workflow WWE has it's going to take forever to get decisions made about pre-pro, graphics, transitions, footage choices, sound mixing and possible dubbing. With the cuts WWE is doing, I can't see a producer going to Vince or Kevin Dunn and trying to get the staff/money to make another show. I wouldn't be surprised if they take more of this youtube stuff and use it as interstitials however.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

And here's another thing: We're only talking lighting.

Even with the advanced workflow WWE has it's going to take forever to get decisions made about pre-pro, graphics, transitions, footage choices, sound mixing and possible dubbing. With the cuts WWE is doing, I can't see a producer going to Vince or Kevin Dunn and trying to get the staff/money to make another show. I wouldn't be surprised if they take more of this youtube stuff and use it as interstitials however.

God, even thinking about how loving hard it must be to get useable sound in that warehouse is giving me a headache...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Great White Hope posted:

If they took live PPVs off the Network, that'd probably be about as good as dumping it.

UFC is able to bring in hundreds of thousands of subscribers with their back catalog and C shows. WWE should be able to run a profitable online subscription service with their back catalog and NXT specials. It would be more difficult because they went with the PPV model first, but in theory people have shown a willingness to pay for that kind of service. (They aren't changing the Network model this year.)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

UFC is able to bring in hundreds of thousands of subscribers with their back catalog and C shows. WWE should be able to run a profitable online subscription service with their back catalog and NXT specials. It would be more difficult because they went with the PPV model first, but in theory people have shown a willingness to pay for that kind of service. (They aren't changing the Network model this year.)

Yeah even IF they did that and oh, I dunno, put PPVs on the Network on a 30 day delay like they do with other poo poo, I'd probably still hold onto it, but I would be very very sad. :(

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MassRafTer posted:

I think the providers would be willing to have the PPVs back but it's going to be on their terms & a lot weaker WWE cut if they were to take them off the Network. Wasn't it near 50-50 or 55 WWE/45 Providers before?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Enough about lighting, let me tell you how poo poo everybody is at white-balancing

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Mob posted:

Enough about lighting, let me tell you how poo poo everybody is at white-balancing

motherfuckers think they can get away with a towel like ROH did back in the day dammit gabe pay 20 bucks and get a white balance card

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Please do not talk about film production when you seem to not know anything about film production. "Decent lighting." Oh yeah, that's super easy, quick, and cheap :rolleyes:
Dude chill I wasn't saying that took literally no effort I'm just saying that it clearly takes less time and effort than something like Legends House or Total Divas, which requires massive amounts of editing, writing, filming, etc.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

motherfuckers think they can get away with a towel like ROH did back in the day dammit gabe pay 20 bucks and get a white balance card

Todd Sinclair's towel owned.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

Dude chill I wasn't saying that took literally no effort I'm just saying that it clearly takes less time and effort than something like Legends House or Total Divas, which requires massive amounts of editing, writing, filming, etc.

Yeah, I was snippier than I needed to be there, and I apologize. The sentiment is just something I see all over (not just here) and as someone who actually works in film it drives me crazy.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I don't know, obviously WWE wants a professional product, but I don't think the fans/subscribers would care as long as they got the content. As long as I can see it and it doesn't look like somebody filming a movie screen, I'm good. Zack Ryder got himself over using youtube equipment after all.

Meanwhile, over on twitter....

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Please sign Great Power Uti, WWE.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

OmegaBR posted:

I don't know, obviously WWE wants a professional product, but I don't think the fans/subscribers would care as long as they got the content. As long as I can see it and it doesn't look like somebody filming a movie screen, I'm good. Zack Ryder got himself over using youtube equipment after all.

Meanwhile, over on twitter....

How does anybody know what Kidman's twitter is, he always gets cut off before he has a chance to say it!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yeah even IF they did that and oh, I dunno, put PPVs on the Network on a 30 day delay like they do with other poo poo, I'd probably still hold onto it, but I would be very very sad. :(

I would probably cancel. I only turn it on once a month for the PPVs plus maybe 1 or 2 random times to watch something. If they canceled the PPVs and then tried to keep everyone locked in for 6 months I would expect a lawsuit. I know most of you guys probably watch it a lot, but I bet a lot of people are like me and just watch the PPV + maybe one or two random shows a month.

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

I would probably cancel. I only turn it on once a month for the PPVs plus maybe 1 or 2 random times to watch something. If they canceled the PPVs and then tried to keep everyone locked in for 6 months I would expect a lawsuit. I know most of you guys probably watch it a lot, but I bet a lot of people are like me and just watch the PPV + maybe one or two random shows a month.

Its really not worth it honestly other than the PPVs.

Sure its a good novelty and all, but you can pretty much get your old school show fix whenever you want on youtube. When i want to watch say some old Rock matches or WCW i just search youtube. Its a once in a while fix, not something i'd pay 10 bucks a month for when i only do it once or twice a month.

the PPVs are the only real draw. The subject matter is just way to narrow. Hell netflix has to constantly renew its content to keep viewers and they got all kind of genres to reel in as many as they can.

The network was a bad idea from the start from a business sense. Way too narrow of a market. The only people who marked about it were Wrestling fans and once they realized that "o wait, i can watch this poo poo on youtube" it kind of fizzled.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I suppose they could drop the 6 month commitment to a lower number too, like 3 months. I can't see them doing it month to month though, unless they put something in place to stop people from resubbing and canceling constantly.

TheJoker138 posted:

God, even thinking about how loving hard it must be to get useable sound in that warehouse is giving me a headache...

If we're talking about an empty warehouse, acoustics are a bigger issue. But the warehouse segments are usually done with lav mics. Anything else can be covered by sock boom and a minute of room tone for each wing of the warehouse they visit, but they'd probably only use that for safety at best.

A wrestling TV production thread would probably be really cool, actually.

Jayou
Mar 14, 2007

Sparkly Vampires are Wrestlicious!
Ethan Carter III is taking it well.

EC3 posted:

I'm still rich.

https://twitter.com/ethancartertna/status/493752307268341762

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

I miss Derrick Bateman. Hope he returns now that his hair better.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
EC3 is definitely someone I want to come out of this alright. Wrestler and gimmick both.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

EC3 is awesome but he'd need a good few months to pass a wellness test

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

EC3 is awesome but he'd need a good few months to pass a wellness test

Dude, they just signed Devitt and got PAC last year.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thauros posted:

Dude, they just signed Devitt and got PAC last year.

EC3 is like first run Masters levels of juicing and both of those guys had plenty of time to get off anything they were on.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Dammit rovert, the poor bastard's still grieving!

https://twitter.com/RichardsWesley/status/493761975621398529

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Davey did make one good point at least in regards to giving smarks a bad name

Davey Richards posted:

they do an incredible job of that by themselves.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dave Meltzer posted:

Hogan wanted to piledriver Elizabeth but Bischoff said no figuring the word may get to Ted Turner and they'd all wind up in trouble. [9/96]

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hogan used a piledriver? Was it less terrible than various Hoganplexes?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wit mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

Davey did make one good point at least in regards to giving smarks a bad name

I am keyboard warrior not a smark