Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

If you want AWD only the Sienna has it, it's a real full time center differential with viscous coupling too, like an old manual trans WRX, because obviously that's what the modern Sienna driver demands.

Other than that I think you'll be well served with either a Dodge Caravan or Chrysler Town & Country. Just ask for service records like you would with any other car and avoid units that obviously look like they've been used to tow trailers, like if it has a trailer hitch and whatnot, because significant percentages of minivan owners are nutjobs who like to use their already overweight FWD car based vans to tow poo poo that really needs a diesel truck and the transmissions are usually on their last legs by the time the warranty runs out.

Thank you, this is helpful. I won't be towing anything myself, so I'll steer clear of anything that already has the towing package.

Anyone have any thoughts on Kias or Nissans? I figure we'll go check out all the different minivans, since there's only like 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

A Jupiter posted:

Guess I have some more research to do

EDIT: Actually, ignoring my suggestion since that was just something that I came across online, what type of cars should I be looking into? Is reliability, mileage, PLUS style a rare combination?

How bout this one?
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Mazda/MAZDA3/Toronto/Ontario/5_18715806_ON20071121105641045/?showcpo=ShowCPO

It's at the top of your budget, but given the snow in the pictures they've had it for a while so you should be able to get them to come down to something a bit more reasonable

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Thank you, this is helpful. I won't be towing anything myself, so I'll steer clear of anything that already has the towing package.

Anyone have any thoughts on Kias or Nissans? I figure we'll go check out all the different minivans, since there's only like 5.

I don't know how it is now, but you used to be able to get a bangin deal on a Kia minivan. The Nissan is a pretty good drive, but I have heard the interior isn't as nice as Honda/Toyota or as cleverly designed as the T&C.

You can't really go wrong with any of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Proposed Budget: I dunno, $15-20K?
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Small car, coupe, sedan, hatchback WHATEVER
How will you be using the car?: My girlfriend will be driving to and from work with 2 monthly 400 mile trips. We will probably take the car on vacation once a year as well.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? gently caress that poo poo.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, ease of use, low maintenance.

The loving Beetle is going to do soon, my girlfriend deserves a car that won't be a nightmare/deathtrap. We will be receiving substantial assistance in the purchase of this vehicle from my mother. The only requirements she has are 1) Automatic transmission. 2) Power windows. 3) Unleaded/cheapest fuel option. 4) High mpg.

I suggested a Mazda 2 or 3. My mother suggested a Civic, Corolla or CR-Z. Which of these cars will cost the least out the door if purchased 15 days from now?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

How will you be using the car?: My girlfriend will be driving to and from work with 2 monthly 400 mile trips. We will probably take the car on vacation once a year as well.

The loving Beetle is going to do soon, my girlfriend deserves a car that won't be a nightmare/deathtrap. We will be receiving substantial assistance in the purchase of this vehicle from my mother. The only requirements she has are 1) Automatic transmission. 2) Power windows. 3) Unleaded/cheapest fuel option. 4) High mpg.

I suggested a Mazda 2 or 3. My mother suggested a Civic, Corolla or CR-Z. Which of these cars will cost the least out the door if purchased 15 days from now?

Didn't you just buy the Beetle? Why so glum?

Mazda3 is the newest one if you are buying new, otherwise how about a 2.slow Jetta? Those things have IRS now and you can still get them new for like $15k so a used one must be worth very little.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Throatwarbler posted:

Didn't you just buy the Beetle? Why so glum?

Mazda3 is the newest one if you are buying new, otherwise how about a 2.slow Jetta? Those things have IRS now and you can still get them new for like $15k so a used one must be worth very little.

The Beetle is the worst car I've ever been exposed to and I was against buying it to begin with. I never want to even ride in a VW based on my experience with that car.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
My faithful '91 Toyota 22RE pickup is staring at a transmission replacement along with it leaking exhaust and weird electrical problems so I'm looking at getting something else rather than fix it and have something else go when I hit 300k miles.

Proposed Budget: 10-18k with some wiggle room.
New or Used: Either.
Body Style: I need something with decent cargo space. My parents have a Yaris that I was pretty impressed with in terms of having a cavernous cargo compartment when you fold the rear seats. A hatchback I guess?
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, mostly short trips sometimes a long commute, but also hauling "stuff" for my business (mostly sterilite-bin-sized things, hence the need for cargo space)
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Don't care.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style): Reliability and ease of/cost of maintenance are priorities for me, but I also like having a smallish car with good mileage.

NickBlasta fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 26, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I don't normally recommend the last gen fit because it gets a touch pricey for what it is, but it will make your parents yaris hatch look tight.
That said, for 18 grand, you can pull off a new mazda 3 hatch and that is bigger and probably the best compact on the market.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, the Yaris is pretty underpowered and not that good on space for a compact (also toyota tax). The Fit and Mazda 3 hatches are great cars and you'll probably get better value out of a Mazda unless you're planning on reselling in the relatively near future. There's also always the Focus but I feel like they're a bit smaller on the inside.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
Thanks for the recommendations, any opinions about the Honda CRZ?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

NickBlasta posted:

There are a lot of opinions about the CRZ, just not any favorable ones. It's pretty bad at everything it's supposed to do - it's not sporty, it's not very fuel efficient, it's got no room in back even though it's a hatchback. Not to mention that it's only got 2 seats and an awkward hole in back where they didn't put in the back seat.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NickBlasta posted:

It is stupid and not as fun to drive as people think. Also, way less useful than any car you've mentioned.

The Honda hybrid system is also pretty epically unreliable. Battery replacements at 80k for $2000 ($3000+ install at a dealer). You know all those fake things people claim about the prius batteries? They came from Hondas. Particularly the manual transmission ones (which seems to be their only appeal over toyotas). Don't buy any hybrid Honda (they also get poo poo fuel economy compared to Toyotas).
Really, if you want a low/mid-priced hybrid, if it doesn't say Toyota on the back, you're not buying the right one.

nm fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 26, 2014

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

NickBlasta posted:

Go look at any Honda dealer, and see how many they have on lot. They don't keep more than 1 around, they can never sell them. They are poo poo at everything they try to do. Too heavy to be quick or fun, too little and laden with batteries to hold anything.

Don't even test drive it.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004
I need your guys' help again. I'm finally getting around to buying the car I asked about several months ago in this thread. As a refresher, I'm looking for a lightly used sports sedan, with a budget of ~$25k. I want something that first and foremost fun to drive, but also has the modern amenities, like bluetooth, keyless entry/ignition, and whatnot. I test drove a 2011 BMW 328i, which had amazing handling, and was fun to drive, but I didn't really fit in the car (I'm 6'3" with long legs), and I was underwhelmed by the technology in it. I also test drove an 2012 Infiniti G37x, but I didn't like the loose steering and high amount of lag when I hit the gas pedal. Someone recommended a Jaguar XF previously, but it ended up being out of my price range.

Help! What should I look at instead? I'm open to any brand, but it has to have 4 doors and be an automatic (so my wife can drive it too).

Edit: fixed a few things based on Throatwarbler's post below.

swenblack fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 27, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

swenblack posted:

I need your guys' help again. I'm finally getting around to buying the car I asked about several months ago in this thread. As a refresher, I'm looking for a lightly used sports sedan, with a budget of ~$25k. I want something that first and foremost fun to drive, but also has the modern amenities, like bluetooth, keyless entry/ignition, and whatnot. I test drove a 2011 BMW 328i, which had amazing handling, and was fun to drive, but I didn't really fit in the car (I'm 6'3" with long legs), and I was underwhelmed by the technology in it. I also test drove an 2012 Infiniti G37x, but I didn't like the loose steering and high amount of turbo-charger lag. Someone recommended a Jaguar XJ previously, but it ended up being out of my price range.

Help! What should I look at instead? I'm open to any brand, but it has to have 4 doors and be an automatic (so my wife can drive it too).

That's pretty interesting since the G37 doesn't have a turbocharger? Also the X version is AWD, I get that you drive what's on the lot but the AWD version of the BMW is a bit different too.

I suggested you look at the XF (not XJ which is a different car).

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

That's pretty interesting since the G37 doesn't have a turbocharger? Also the X version is AWD, I get that you drive what's on the lot but the AWD version of the BMW is a bit different too.

I suggested you look at the XF (not XJ which is a different car).

Ok, I suck at cars. I'll edit my original post. By turbo-charger lag, I mean when I hit the gas pedal hard, the engine revved but the car didn't actually accelerate for about half a second. I hate that, and I always thought that phenomenon was associated with turbochargers.

swenblack fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 27, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So I bought that 2014 Altima S I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's pretty nice for my needs, I'm very happy with it. I just wanted to ask about maintenance. At this point whenever my :spergin: dad would buy a car he would take every single screw and bolt off and carefully apply thread-lok to them and disassemble the rest of the car and make sure all the parts were put in right and then carefully reassemble the whole thing because he's insane. I assume I don't have to do that, but is there a recommended best practice in terms of maintenance / schedule for maintenance that will keep my car running well as long as I can?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just follow the scheduled maintenance in the manual. Your dad is a lunatic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

Just follow the scheduled maintenance in the manual. Your dad is a lunatic.

Beyond a lunatic. It's drat near impossible to improperly torque something in a modern factory anyway - nearly anything that needs it, gets a pre-set air ratchet that stops at the desired torque.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rhyno posted:

2014 Mazda3.

It'll go nice with the ND you're getting when you trade in your NC.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Don't buy an automatic 2. Half the fun is the shifter (the other half is steering and lightness) and it still has an ancient 4-speed.
The 2 is not really a good car for the average person, it has no toys, is a bit underpowered and the fuel economy is not as good as you'd think (32-33mpg 75% hwy) and the terrible auto makes those last two things worse. They also stopped making it in green.
Because of the steering, lightness, and actually a decent suspension, it is a poo poo ton of fun to drive, but most people don't care about that. I do, so I bought one (in green). It is basically if lotus made an FWD penalty box.

It will, however, be the cheapest, but it isn't the best deal for most people.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Beyond a lunatic. It's drat near impossible to improperly torque something in a modern factory anyway - nearly anything that needs it, gets a pre-set air ratchet that stops at the desired torque.

I wish I could say I was exaggerating a lot but no he seriously goes and gets his calibrated wrench and thread-lok and carefully takes the car apart and puts it back together and we can't actually drive it for like a few days until he's approved it.

He's also got lots of fun arbitrary rules to keep things from breaking, like if you're switching the A/C unit between recirculate the air and outdoor vent you have to turn the A/C fan off first because otherwise the switch will generate a momentary back pressure which will very slightly strain the fan which might make it break one femtosecond sooner than it would have anyway.

So yeah my dad's a lunatic and I'm mostly keeping him away from this loving car. I figured I could just use the maintenance manual but wanted to make sure there wasn't some "oh you should go get xxx done to it" trick I didn't know about, thanks!

EDIT: I mean to his credit his last car lasted something like 30 years and was only finally done in by a chunk of propellant from an exploding rocket landing on top of it and melting it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtkhYzIkCR0

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 27, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
To be fair not too long ago cars could be pretty god drat sketchy. It blows me away how much better they are put together on the whole these days. To say nothing of the enhancements in safety and technology!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

2014 Mazda3.

It'll go nice with the ND you're getting when you trade in your NC.

Yeah, only if I sell the 6.

Like I said in my thread in AI, she doesn't feel comfortable taking that much money towards a car and is leaning towards used cars now. She found a 2012 Fiesta for $12500 that she likes. And a 2009 Corolla that she also likes for some reason.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Maybe you guys can help me, I'm searching for a sedan in Germany.

Proposed Budget: max 20k €
New or Used: Preferable new, our lightly used
Body Style: 4 door sedan, I might live with a good looking hatchback, but most look like silly alienmobiles.
How will you be using the car?: Mostly commuting. I have to commute 90km per day. This commute includes a bit of city driving, about half of it is Autobahn/Highway. Some shopping and on rare occasions hauling drunk friends around. I take all the gizmos I can get, but the only important thing is an automatic climate control.
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, due to ridiculous fuel prices over here, and reliability not only of the engine, but all the other stuff that can break as well. Also preferable are low taxes and insurance for the car.
Also, I'm living in Germany, central Bavaria, Ingolstadt - this will probably make finding a sedan difficult.

Cars I tried in the last few weeks:
Ford Fiesta - that's the car I currently drive, the engine is lacking and almost killed me a few times while trying to get on the autobahn. Also there is poo poo breaking in this car almost every week, climate control (two times), the door, the radio, the gearstick, the stick for the handbrake. It's mostly small things that break and I only had the car for three month but I'm fed up. Continuing to drive it is an option, but not the one I prefer.
Ford Focus - I tried the hatchback, not the sedan (because that one is only available in northern Germany). I had the feeling that the engine of that thing was too weak for it's weight, despite 125PS. It's the first car I have ever driven, where I have to downshift to the 1st gear regularly, because the engine would die if I try to take a corner in 2nd. My parents would prefer if I get this car, but I don't like it, also it is over my budget (29k €).
Seat Toledo - Nice looking car, but the one I tried was in a poo poo condition despite being almost new. Stuttering at 80km/h upwards. If others do not have that problem it might be an option. Costs about 15k€.
Skoda Rapid - The outside is a bit worse looking than the Seat, but the interior is exactly the same. This car had no stuttering and a extremely good acceleration for 105ps. But it has a color I don't like (white). It's the only car in this list which is a diesel. Would cost 16k €.
Honda Civic - Tried the hatchback and a hybrid sedan of a friend. A really nice car to drive. Also the hatchback looks really silly and the sedan is pretty rare (the hybrid sedan even more, don't know how much that one would cost). Would cost 16k €.

Happy Litterbox fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 27, 2014

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Proposed Budget: < $20k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: 60 mile daily highway commute at the moment. 600 mile trips a few times a year.
What aspects are most important to you? Longevity, reliability, mileage.

My old 03 Vibe got totaled, so I need to find a car and I think it would be best to get new. I'm looking for something I can drive for a long time. Hatchback because I'm used to having a cargo area, but I don't want an SUV or CUV size. I'm a bit over 6' so driver space / sit matters too.

I spent this weekend researching and trying out the Ford Focus, Mazda3, Subaru Impreza, and '15 Honda Fit. The Fit impressed me the most in style and general feel. I know it's a new redesign, are there any issues with that or the CVT transmission? The main downside right now is that it might be hard to get one.

I might also take another look at the Focus because the manager offered them with a nice discount.

e: vv
Yeah, automatic most likely. Too lazy to stick in traffic.

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 28, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Automatic? Avoid the Ford focus, and its wonky transmission.

I, and most of AI it would seem, think the Mazda 3 is loving awesome. It gets great fuel economy too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Does anyone know of anything to watch out for (outside the usual any used car checks) with the automatic bk series Mazda 3 sp23s most of the ones I can find from the 06-08 date range have done just under or around 100,000 kms. I'm looking for ones that have good service history but just thought I'd see if there were any gremlins with these.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BlindSite posted:

Does anyone know of anything to watch out for (outside the usual any used car checks) with the automatic bk series Mazda 3 sp23s most of the ones I can find from the 06-08 date range have done just under or around 100,000 kms. I'm looking for ones that have good service history but just thought I'd see if there were any gremlins with these.

It has been said that they have rust issues, and seeing as you're using moon miles you're probably in a snowy area, just make sure whoever you have look at it checks for that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I currently have a 2010 VW GTI with 45k miles on it. It's comfortable, practical, sporty, reliable (knock on wood) and I have about 6k left off to pay at 2%.

Someone please tell the tiny stupid voice inside me that selling it in order to get a used mid-2000s Porsche would be a hilarious mistake and I should just wait 3 more years until I can easily afford it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know what your financial situation is, but that is a dumbass idea. I think you've just starting making the big bucks in your career, you should drive that GTI, pay it off, and keep it until you can pay cash for a used Porsche.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

skipdogg posted:

I don't know what your financial situation is, but that is a dumbass idea. I think you've just starting making the big bucks in your career, you should drive that GTI, pay it off, and keep it until you can pay cash for a used Porsche.

Yeah you're right. Thanks man.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Proposed Budget:
Body Style: Some sort of 4 door, probably midsize sedan
How will you be using the car?: Work (for my wife) primarily
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability

Full situation:
I currently live in SC with my wife, but we're moving to Hawaii. I have an '06 Miata with 33k, she has a '12 Toyota Corolla with 63k. She used to do a lot of driving for her work, but currently doesn't. However, she might again, as she has not yet found a job in Hawaii. I own the Miata outright, while the Toyota is about even as far as owed vs value. She currently has a 0% interest loan on it, approx 10.5k left. My job is paying to ship my car to Hawaii, but it'll cost about 2k to ship hers. My wife likes owning new cars due to reliability and doesn't want to be broke down on the road. She recently has considered getting rid of the Corolla. Her experience is with an '84 J body with 150k+, so she doesn't want to be stuck on the side of the road again. I'm open to either selling her car here, and getting her a new one in Hawaii, or shipping hers. Which is the better option?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Residency Evil posted:

Or I can play Devil's advocate, if you plan on starting down the usually marriage/family path soon the Window for a Porsche is closing, and you might be better off doing it now so you can enjoy it before you buy your new minivan. I had a ridiculous car in my 20's before kids and it was worth it. The BFC answer is to wait and save, the AI answer is to do it now while you can.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Or I can play Devil's advocate, if you plan on starting down the usually marriage/family path soon the Window for a Porsche is closing, and you might be better off doing it now so you can enjoy it before you buy your new minivan. I had a ridiculous car in my 20's before kids and it was worth it. The BFC answer is to wait and save, the AI answer is to do it now while you can.

Getting married and having kids doesn't mean you have to give up the fun car.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bovril Delight posted:

Getting married and having kids doesn't mean you have to give up the fun car.

Not always, but it can be hard to justify a fun 3rd vehicle sometimes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

skipdogg posted:

Got some time with this. Besides, that's what why they make the 911 right? :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

I currently have a 2010 VW GTI with 45k miles on it. It's comfortable, practical, sporty, reliable (knock on wood) and I have about 6k left off to pay at 2%.

Someone please tell the tiny stupid voice inside me that selling it in order to get a used mid-2000s Porsche would be a hilarious mistake and I should just wait 3 more years until I can easily afford it.

To pile on, mid 90s Porsches include:

Either the worst 911 ever made (996), or an early 997.
The Porsche Boxster, which is pretty good although "not a real Porsche" and the non-S versions are about as fast as your GTI.
The first gen Cayman, which had a nasty engines eating themselves problem, if I recall correctly. Also not a real Porsche.

Comedy options include the Carrera GT and Cayenne.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

And then you should buy a 993, not a mid 2000s one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

nm posted:

And then you should buy a 993, not a mid 2000s one.

Definitely, but at this time I'm looking for a daily driver (5k miles/year and I can also take public transportation).

Rationality wins out yet again.