Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

What do you guys think of the man with the dogs that told Kevin "don't investigate the murder too closely"?

That, like pretty much all the rest of Mapleton, he hates the GR and doesn't care about them dying/thinks the murder was a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah, I doubt he was involved as you'd have to be pretty stupid to implicate yourself like that. Unless he was trying to threaten him, but I don't think Kevin would take being threatened very well (he'd go on a violent drunken rampage)

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
drat, when Laurie was blowing that whistle in Matt's face as he was trying to pray, that was some crazy eyes she was giving. That is someone who has crossed the line and will do anything for the cause. I was imagining spittle shooting out of the whistle there.

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

Before Laurie walks outside to go whistling, there was a sign inside that seemed to read "Up In Smoke." Probably explains why the GR smoke cigarettes all the time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Wallet posted:

I'm pretty sure all of the stuff going on with the guy hunting wild dogs is supposed to be illuminating Garvey's predicament with the GR. The prevailing sentiment is that they've gone rabid and should be put down, but that's hard to swallow when your wife is one of them.

I could be way off base, but every episode after the first has in some way advanced that conflict, so I suspect it's the centerpiece of this season's plot.
I'm curious to see where Tommy/Wayne's cult are going. Because it's pretty obvious the Mapleton GR Chapter is pretty indicative of "cult should be put down" sentiment (dog guy, ATFEC/the government, the general public) versus people who still think these cultists are still people (Kevin, Matt, etc) who can be brought back. Obviously the spread of cults seems to have ballooned so much (in the wider sense) in the past three years that it's hard for anyone to give a poo poo about a cult or the people in them anymore as anything but a nuisance.

Obviously Wayne is just another charlatan who thinks his underage Asian wife is giving birth to some prophet, but to the rest of the world he's probably just another cult leader who thinks he's worth something. Since they have only planned for the one season I'm certain they'll go somewhere with it rather than tease it out for another season, but that story there seems a little aimless, since last I checked it seems pretty well set that Tommy is gonna stay on their path and he isn't in Mapleton or near anyone that could even possibly pull him out of it (except himself for a while last episode).

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

This show is really good. Except for Liv Tyler.

You're in luck, looks like she's done speaking forever. This show needs more Matt and Nora Durst.

Book chat: Was Garvey balls deep in someone who beamed away and if so does the book explore this? That would be an absolute mind gently caress. If Garvey wasn't pre-disposed to going nuts before he sure as poo poo would be then.

My theory on what happened to the 2%: really in was 98% that absconded and what we're watching is purgatory. Somewhere off screen 140 million people are freaking the gently caress out.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 29, 2014

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sober posted:

I'm curious to see where Tommy/Wayne's cult are going.

Yeah, that's the real mystery. Purely speculation, but I feel like they're planning to have something awful happen to Tommy or the wife to ratchet up the pressure on Garvey to reclaim whoever remains. For the first few episodes I thought it was probably going to be the wife, because Tommy is wandering around god-knows-where, but between the attention they've been paying to the wife, and Tommy doing a 180 from decent but gullible to a huge cock in episode 4, I suspect he's on the way out. The little scene where he was waiting for the bus was his last chance.

It could go completely the other way, of course, largely for the same reasons.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 29, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

BeerMarket posted:

Before Laurie walks outside to go whistling, there was a sign inside that seemed to read "Up In Smoke." Probably explains why the GR smoke cigarettes all the time.

They've got a bunch of signs about smoking. It was one of the first things we saw in the cult house. I'm not sure what the deal with unless they're trying to die faster without actually killing themselves or something.

So any theories on the actual main mystery? Rapture? Aliens? Glitch in the matrix? It seems like most of the people taken have either been objectively bad people, or at least in some way unwanted. There's all the people the priest has been documenting, and then you have the annoying baby in the opening, the woman with the dead dog who didn't care about her husband, the cop who calls his disappeared brother in law a dumbass. Very few people seem really bummed out by losing someone close to them. The one exception is the woman who lost her whole family but I'm guessing there's more going on there. So my theory is that when the event happened, the people that were taken were the ones who had more people wanting them gone than wanting them around. The Guilty Remnant kind of figured it out, which is why they make such a big deal about not honouring the taken. The name reflects that the people still on Earth are the guilty ones since they basically voted those people out.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

They've got a bunch of signs about smoking. It was one of the first things we saw in the cult house. I'm not sure what the deal with unless they're trying to die faster without actually killing themselves or something.
It's just an attention-getting way of demonstrating that they don't care about anything anymore, including their own health.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The head cult lady talking about burning up seemed like the first clue we've gotten about the smoking poo poo. I thought the end of it might be a quote from something, but all I can find is a couplet by a long-dead Turkish poet that goes:

Upon the Road to the Beloved, you burn until you are but ash.
Though in a day I burn a thousand times, I will not turn away.

I suspect this is completely unrelated to the show, but I thought it was interesting how close it is to what they were talking about.

Dr_Amazing posted:

So any theories on the actual main mystery? Rapture? Aliens? Glitch in the matrix? It seems like most of the people taken have either been objectively bad people, or at least in some way unwanted. There's all the people the priest has been documenting, and then you have the annoying baby in the opening, the woman with the dead dog who didn't care about her husband, the cop who calls his disappeared brother in law a dumbass. Very few people seem really bummed out by losing someone close to them. The one exception is the woman who lost her whole family but I'm guessing there's more going on there. So my theory is that when the event happened, the people that were taken were the ones who had more people wanting them gone than wanting them around. The Guilty Remnant kind of figured it out, which is why they make such a big deal about not honouring the taken. The name reflects that the people still on Earth are the guilty ones since they basically voted those people out.

It seemed like the priest's point was that people who were assholes shouldn't be honored alongside the decent folk who disappeared, and by extension that the people who poofed weren't selected based on any recognizable characteristic. He wants people to understand that it wasn't some sort of rapture, because otherwise his religious convictions are obsolete. A lot of people are wandering around acting loving insane and/or nihilistic, presumably in part because they think the score has already been tallied and it doesn't matter anymore what they do on earth, at least from a priest's perspective.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 29, 2014

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Is True Blood really an option? Find a good book.

Valid point. I've been reading a lot lately

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dr_Amazing posted:

So any theories on the actual main mystery?

The Leftovers is set in a crazy fictional universe where, get this- terrible things happen and people lose loved ones for seemingly no reason at all.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

"The actual main mystery" is clearly not even in the same conceptual galaxy as the point of the show and lmao that it's still being seriously discussed by more than zero people

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I really thought the True Detective thread was the bottom of the barrel but here we are.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I liked the newest episode, much better than the previous, not as good as the one with the priest.

There are so many characters that I have no idea who is who so when you guys talk about people by their names I have no idea who you're talking about.

I think the Agent -> Unknown caller thing was just them dropping the ball, but I really do think the voice did change. I was thinking that the agent would actually turn out to be that guy who shoots the dogs.

My favorite part was "I say gently caress too."

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

I am. gently caress this show.

Okay...so I gave it the old 5 episode try to see what critics were raving about, but apparently they judge a shows quality based solely on how many people weep onscreen, because I just don't see it.

First of all, who am I supposed to root for? Who am I supposed to identify with?

Justin Theroux's character is just an angry bully. He's nothing but a walking powder keg, and that's just exhausting.

Amy Brenneman is a quivering ball of pure, unrelenting crazy. No clue whatsoever is given for her motivations or thought process, she just keeps doubling down on the GR screed for absolutely no discernible reason.

Their daughter is just a lovely, nihilistic teenage fuckwit.

Their son is on an ill-conceived roadtrip with a cult leaders baby mama, even though he has no character-driven reason for being there.

Am I supposed to sympathize with the Guilty Remnant? Okay then! I'm going to go find people who lost family members in a plane crash and try to guilt them about searching for closure, because people don't deserve to move on with their lives (/sarcasm).

I'm not on the side of any of the characters; the show has done nothing to service the central mystery or mythology of the world and doesn't look like it's going to start. So what are the stakes exactly, and why should I care? What is there for me to sink my teeth into other than misery tourism? So far, this show has been nothing but "The Everybody Feel Bad Hour! Brought to you by Poor Coping Mechanisms".

So gently caress it. I'm just going to read up on the book and find out what happens.

Aaaand it turns out the book never actually explains what happened to the people who disappeared. It's about everyone just feeling lovely and coping with loss. With the amount of time I invested watching 5 episodes of this series, I could have just watched "The Big Chill" again and then baked a cake. Which begs the question: why are these characters orbiting a big, strange supernatural mystery? The event could have just as easily been a train crash, and there would have been a satisfying conclusion. Now I see why this story attracted Damon Lindelof though; interesting premise, compelling mystery, 0% chance of gratiying payoff in the end.

Thank god someone else agrees. Me and my girlfriend are done wit this show after episode 5. I regret giving it that long.

I didn't even care about the big mystery rapture. I expected it to never be answered and just sort of be the setting. But I was hoping maybe there'd be some sort of after effects aside from people dealing with loss in a lovely destructive way. Like maybe if you saw the rapture you go literally crazy, not just mopey.

But nope. It could have just been a loving train crash. Maybe if they showed the global impact or some poo poo, making it centered around this disappearance would make sense, but so far we're only seeing this tiny local town where the stakes are a plastic baby doll and some white shirts.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm personally going to give this show the season. I think the pastor character is interesting, and his episode was actually very good. Everything else so far has been middling, but not so bad I can't watch. I have doubts I'll watch a season 2, but to me it's good enough to see through for this year. I can't bear to watch True Blood anymore and there's not a whole lot else on television that interests me right now, except Drunk History.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

thathonkey posted:

I think you're onto something. Also can we please cease all stupid speculation about the phone call with the ATF agent. Nothing about the tone of the show suggests that there is anything suspicious going on there.

Wait, what? How about the fact Garvey's dad went insane, we had a whole story arc suggesting Dog Blaster was a figment of his imagination, him questioning his sanity with deer/bagel/shirts?

E: Wait, sorry if you were just kidding.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Tennis Ball posted:

Like maybe if you saw the rapture you go literally crazy, not just mopey.
I don't think you've been paying attention. The chief is cracking up, his father appears to be schizophrenic, his wife is full on clinically depressed, his son joined a cult led by a man who claims to have magic powers, the ATFEC is full of psychos, several townspeople just stoned a woman who was pleading for her life to death like it was nothing, and so on. There are a lot of diagnosably "crazy" people in this show. The possibility that some of them are actually correct about supernatural happenings doesn't change the fact that their behavior appears insane.

edit: removed part of post, thought better of it.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 29, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Peta posted:

"The actual main mystery" is clearly not even in the same conceptual galaxy as the point of the show and lmao that it's still being seriously discussed by more than zero people

Sorry man. When someone tells me there's a show where millions of people suddenly disappear, the first thing I think is "well what happened". Maybe that makes me shallow or something, but I can't help it. You don't have to make it like Flashforward where the focus was on the investigation, but I can't just turn off that part of my brain that's trying to put it together.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
whats the theory ron was talking about? About life being a hologram from another planet? Or was it just rambling?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Tennis Ball posted:

Thank god someone else agrees. Me and my girlfriend are done wit this show after episode 5. I regret giving it that long.

I didn't even care about the big mystery rapture. I expected it to never be answered and just sort of be the setting. But I was hoping maybe there'd be some sort of after effects aside from people dealing with loss in a lovely destructive way. Like maybe if you saw the rapture you go literally crazy, not just mopey.

But nope. It could have just been a loving train crash. Maybe if they showed the global impact or some poo poo, making it centered around this disappearance would make sense, but so far we're only seeing this tiny local town where the stakes are a plastic baby doll and some white shirts.

Not sure if you're aware, but there are insane cults popping up everywhere, biblical style stonings, mass nihilism, and a brutal government agency happily killing people and incinerating their corpses for mysterious reasons. Seems like society went pretty appropriately crazy to me.

Also this show is never, ever going to answer what happened to the disappeared. That's not what it's about.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dr_Amazing posted:

Sorry man. When someone tells me there's a show where millions of people suddenly disappear, the first thing I think is "well what happened". Maybe that makes me shallow or something, but I can't help it. You don't have to make it like Flashforward where the focus was on the investigation, but I can't just turn off that part of my brain that's trying to put it together.

It's not just you.

I actually like this show a lot, but I have the same problem with it that I did with the book: there's a huge mismatch between the premise of the show and the themes that it wants to explore. 2% of the world's population vanishing is just too big, too unprecedented, too wrong. It's not something that we'd be looking for closure on three years later. It's something that would be considered a defining event in human history for centuries, if not longer. The show and the book both try hard to handwave the "why?" and "how?" away to the point where it's actually distracting, and I think that's a lot of why some people are reacting kind of badly to it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm calling it now that the season ends with people starting to come back.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Paradoxish posted:

It's not just you.

I actually like this show a lot, but I have the same problem with it that I did with the book: there's a huge mismatch between the premise of the show and the themes that it wants to explore. 2% of the world's population vanishing is just too big, too unprecedented, too wrong. It's not something that we'd be looking for closure on three years later. It's something that would be considered a defining event in human history for centuries, if not longer. The show and the book both try hard to handwave the "why?" and "how?" away to the point where it's actually distracting, and I think that's a lot of why some people are reacting kind of badly to it.

Hmm. I've just started reading through the book, but are people really looking for closure (in the sense you're implying)? To be sure, the sudden departure would call into question our understanding of the physical universe and I can't see the scientific establishment ever letting that go until somebody figured out some drat thing about something. But our story follows Joe Boob. Joe Boob is just some chump; a blue-collar worker, a loan officer; a police chief. It's been three years since the departure, nobody knows anything and there's poo poo-all Joe Boob can do to help. After three years of that, what else are you going to do except get on with some semblance of your life while you wait for an answer that may or may not ever come?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm calling it now that the season ends with people starting to come back.

Fine by me so long as long as they dont start posting in this thread again.

(But seriously doubt this is how theyll play it.)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

thathonkey posted:

Fine by me so long as long as they dont start posting in this thread again.

(But seriously doubt this is how theyll play it.)

Yeah I can't see that happening at all. Part of me thinks its a neat idea, because now these miserable people have to suddenly deal with the fact that they've lashed out at the world for nothing, and they can't just switch that off. For instance what happens with the GR et al when all of a sudden the status quo is returned? But I don't think the show is interested in looking at that.

The thing I'm wondering now is how far can this show go? If they get a Season 2 is it just 10 episodes of the same thing or do they change things up a bit?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Count me in the camp that believes the phonecall with the agent was on the level and not Garvey having a schizophrenic moment. It also turns the super-cliche crime-TV situation of the local cops getting pissed off 'cuz the arrogant federal agency is taking over their big case into something new, with the locals instead not wanting the feds to take over because they're just a huge, scary gang of psychopaths operating above the law now, and who knows what insane poo poo they'll perpetrate while they're in town.

I know stoning is a Biblical type of punishment/execution. I think the most well known reason for it is adultery. Are there any other well known reasons or stories involving stoning that would fit well with Matt's group doing it, or the GR being the ones really responsible?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

savinhill posted:

Count me in the camp that believes the phonecall with the agent was on the level and not Garvey having a schizophrenic moment. It also turns the super-cliche crime-TV situation of the local cops getting pissed off 'cuz the arrogant federal agency is taking over their big case into something new, with the locals instead not wanting the feds to take over because they're just a huge, scary gang of psychopaths operating above the law now, and who knows what insane poo poo they'll perpetrate while they're in town.

I know stoning is a Biblical type of punishment/execution. I think the most well known reason for it is adultery. Are there any other well known reasons or stories involving stoning that would fit well with Matt's group doing it, or the GR being the ones really responsible?

I am assuming the cop who was so keen to pass on the information to the federal agency is somehow involved in the GR attacks, because he is aware that the feds aren't actually investigating GR/other cult related deaths, they're just burning the bodies and going in guns blazing to arrest or kill the cult leaders?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
There are a couple oddities about the phone call from the agent:

* it takes garvey 3-4 tries to disarm the security system (although that could just be because it is new)
* the agent only got one message (presumably the first) though we saw garvey leave 3

Doesnt mean it was some schizo moment. I think in classic Lindelof fashion there are lots of things in this show that feel a little off and that gives it this mysterious vibe.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
One minor detail I noticed was during the conversation between Lori and the head GR lady. At the very end when the head lady seems to be making some sort of confession she asks Lori something to the effect of "Do you remember what you told me to do during our last session?". My guess is Lori was her therapist before the rapture. I'm not really sure where it will go beyond that but that can make for an interesting bit of background on their relationship.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

So who do we think stoned the GR lady? Personally I felt the episode does a lot to suggest it was the GR:
-the initial scene between glasses(Gladys) and Patti where we see her nod
-Gladys pleading with those stoning her
-the flashback Lori has
-the conversation between Patti and Lori which also showed they don't always wear white or remain silent

The way Patti talked about Gladys' issue after her son's death and her commitment to the cause also seem to suggest she may have been willing to martyr herself. I enjoyed parts of the episode, the opening sequence was very powerful. I think we might see Lori try to leave the GR at some point, I'm interested to see how that is handled.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Corte posted:

So who do we think stoned the GR lady? Personally I felt the episode does a lot to suggest it was the GR:
-the initial scene between glasses(Gladys) and Patti where we see her nod
-Gladys pleading with those stoning her
-the flashback Lori has
-the conversation between Patti and Lori which also showed they don't always wear white or remain silent

The way Patti talked about Gladys' issue after her son's death and her commitment to the cause also seem to suggest she may have been willing to martyr herself. I enjoyed parts of the episode, the opening sequence was very powerful. I think we might see Lori try to leave the GR at some point, I'm interested to see how that is handled.

It could've just been random people in the town.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Garvey's shirt that he pulled out of the hamster had patches sewn on the shoulders (US Flag and MPD). I didn't see any patches on the shirts from the dry cleaners, but I don't see how he could have missed that, even as drunk as he was.

E: I'm thinking they are his shirts, and like the toaster it was just a little incident to show him doubting his sanity. I guess the dry cleaner was just being a dick because he didn't have his ticket?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

CODChimera posted:

It could've just been random people in the town.

Occam's razor. That and in the priest's episode we've already seen random townspeople throw stones at GR members.

Then theres the dude who tells Garvey not to bother investigating the death too closely. Hint: the townspeople dont think too highly of the GR.

I will be very very surprised if it was a GR attack on themselves. Less surprised but very disappointed if it is the priest's group. Best case scenario i think they just dont even address it.

I kinda liked that scene where Lori blew the whistle at the priest. Good misdirection: you thought she was going to join and mourn for the dead member of her group and suddenly - nope.

edit: Can somebody explain wtf happened at the end of the (very much one sided) diner convo between laurie and the gr leader lady? Who is Neil? Why does she start crying? What was in the bag? Why does this loving show keep creating mysteries!?!?!?!! :colbert:

I figured Neil is her son or something but i have no idea.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 29, 2014

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dantu posted:

Garvey's shirt that he pulled out of the hamster

Eww.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

poo poo, maybe I am the one going crazy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think the call was real because just a few episodes ago we saw the ATF go in and kill a large number of unarmed cult members with the huggy bald guy and the asian hookers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

socialsecurity posted:

I think the call was real because just a few episodes ago we saw the ATF go in and kill a large number of unarmed cult members with the huggy bald guy and the asian hookers.

They aren't hookers if they aren't getting paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

Occam's razor. That and in the priest's episode we've already seen random townspeople throw stones at GR members.

Then theres the dude who tells Garvey not to bother investigating the death too closely. Hint: the townspeople dont think too highly of the GR.

I will be very very surprised if it was a GR attack on themselves. Less surprised but very disappointed if it is the priest's group. Best case scenario i think they just dont even address it.

I kinda liked that scene where Lori blew the whistle at the priest. Good misdirection: you thought she was going to join and mourn for the dead member of her group and suddenly - nope.

edit: Can somebody explain wtf happened at the end of the (very much one sided) diner convo between laurie and the gr leader lady? Who is Neil? Why does she start crying? What was in the bag? Why does this loving show keep creating mysteries!?!?!?!! :colbert:

I figured Neil is her son or something but i have no idea.

We have no idea who Neil is and I think it just establishes that she did have a family - or something/someone - she left behind like Laurie and she still has some emotional attachment even though she thinks the point of the GR is to free yourself from that. It's not like her whole family died and she started a cult. She's doing what they're asking the other members to do. The diner/end scene tells us:
They knew each other pretty well before the rapture
Laurie probably wasn't just bullied into the GR and she's continuing to stay on her own free-will
They may actually have a pretty strong relationship

• Locked thread