Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

davebo posted:

Could be, or I may just be misremembering some photoshop concept of a CLA hatchback. I'm always disappointed with the lack of wagons in America and people are always photoshopping them into existence. My life would be a fair amount more convenient if my Optima SX suddenly had a D pillar.

Acura Kia TSX Sport Wagon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Nohearum posted:

Acura Kia TSX Sport Wagon

I would buy the crap out of one.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Hyundai's really hosed up or they need to learn to drive if they can't break 18mpg in a Genesis sedan, let alone the coupe. The Mustang GT with the slushbox does better than that in town.

Is it really that crazy? Gen coupe v6 is rated at 16mpg city and im assuming the giant staggered wheels on the track make it worse on has. Its just what they get economy wise.

Edit: By Track I mean the top trim level.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 30, 2014

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yikes. Even my dad's 5.0 averages 19-20 with a 93 octane tune, intake and exhaust.

He drives like the old man he is though.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
My sixer Stang only manages 19 with a 15 minute commute. So the 18 number for the Genesis sounds about right for somebody with a shorter drive to work.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

My sixer Stang only manages 19 with a 15 minute commute. So the 18 number for the Genesis sounds about right for somebody with a shorter drive to work.

I'm averaging 26mpg lifetime on my V6 mustang, but my commute is pretty highway heavy. Is yours stick? 3.31 gears? I've never seen economy that bad, and I definitely have a heavy foot and a/c on all the time.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Big V6s aren't especially efficient engines. Just look at how bad the figures tank on a new Legacy with the V6 for an extreme example. 18mpg doesn't surprise me from a relatively powerful 6 in a sporty car.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm averaging 26mpg lifetime on my V6 mustang, but my commute is pretty highway heavy. Is yours stick? 3.31 gears? I've never seen economy that bad, and I definitely have a heavy foot and a/c on all the time.

My 2012 V6 manual 'stang (stock, whatever the basic gears are, run the a/c 'cause I live in Miami) has just shy of 26 lifetime too, but I can hit 32 on the highway pretty reliably, and upshifting at 1500rpm kept me at 20mpg in town today.

I guess it's just that Hyundai is worse than Ford at making powertrains.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PeterWeller posted:

Big V6s aren't especially efficient engines. Just look at how bad the figures tank on a new Legacy with the V6 for an extreme example. 18mpg doesn't surprise me from a relatively powerful 6 in a sporty car.

The V6 Accord and Altima seem to be doing all right, I think it's easy enough to get decent fuel economy if you wanted.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 30, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

keykey posted:

This is true, it seems we never get any fun versions of any car that other parts of the world get. I would kill for a 2 door shooting brake to be sold in the states instead of bloated out pimp mobiles that homies and bro's in this area love.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

keykey posted:

I would kill for a 2 door shooting brake to be sold in the states instead of bloated out pimp mobiles that homies and bro's in this area love.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

I desperately want an 1800ES.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cocoa Crispies posted:

My 2012 V6 manual 'stang (stock, whatever the basic gears are, run the a/c 'cause I live in Miami) has just shy of 26 lifetime too, but I can hit 32 on the highway pretty reliably, and upshifting at 1500rpm kept me at 20mpg in town today.

The Genesis is rated 18/29 for a full-size luxury car vs. 19/29 for the Mustang, probably real-world they'll see similar results dependign on driving habits with the full-size probably getting slightly less due to its weight.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

The Genesis is rated 18/29 for a full-size luxury car vs. 19/29 for the Mustang, probably real-world they'll see similar results dependign on driving habits with the full-size probably getting slightly less due to its weight.

They are talking about the coupe.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 30, 2014

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

Twerk from Home posted:

Is it really that crazy? Gen coupe v6 is rated at 16mpg city and im assuming the giant staggered wheels on the track make it worse on has. Its just what they get economy wise.

Edit: By Track I mean the top trim level.

My 370Z got around the same thing city. I tended to average around 20, going up to 25/26 if I had to do some highway driving. While I loved the VQ series, V6 engines don't really make a whole lot of sense anymore.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

My grandfather had one in the late 70's. I loved that car almost as much as he did. Then he decided to drive home from a bar after a few beers one night. He didn't cause the accident that totaled it but I believe if he hadn't also been tipsy he'd have been able to avoid the drunk driver that sideswiped him. Cops found the other guy at fault and my grandfather got a stern talking to from the cops. The 70's were a different time in regards to driving a bit impaired.

Looked a lot like this one.

The first time I saw a C30 I recognized the nod to the rear glass design of the 1800 immediately.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

My wife's 2009 Mazda 6S with the 3.7L V6 gets about 19-20 mpg with her driving. She has a short commute of 6 miles, including going one exit down the interstate and a shitload of stoplights, so it's the perfect recipe for shitbarn fuel economy. On our trip to Missouri a couple of months ago, we averaged 25.5 mpg on the way there and 27 mpg on the way back.

In my 2000 4Runner with the 5VZ and over 230,000 miles, I average about 20 mpg on my commute, which is about 15 miles of mostly highway. Driving like a dick in the city will return 18.5 mpg and cruising at 65 on the interstate will net you about 22-23 mpg. It's pretty tough to make it get much better or worse than 20 mpg, which is great for a 14 year-old, truck-based SUV. It managed almost 16 mpg pulling a 3,000 lb trailer down the interstate at 65 mph, which surprised the hell out of me since I was expecting 12 mpg or so.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

They are talking about the coupe.

Looked it up and apparently the Genesis Coupe now makes 50 more hp than the v6 mustang, that probably accounts for part of it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Looked it up and apparently the Genesis Coupe now makes 50 more hp than the v6 mustang, that probably accounts for part of it.

By that math, shouldn't the V8 Mustang get worse fuel economy than the V6 Genesis Coupe because it makes 70hp more? Somehow the V8 Mustang is rated 2 mpg city better. Also, price wise you really need to compare 4cyl GenCoupe to V6 Mustang, and V6 GenCoupe to V8 Mustang. The 4cyl gen coupe is rated at 17 mpg city, what the christ.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33409&id=34586

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I don't get the hatred towards the CLA's back seats. I went and sat in the back of a CLA45 and it wasn't terrible. Not roomy, certainly, but certainly more usable than some of the 2+2 back seats (or a Mustang's back seats, lol)

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

BMW Z3/Z4 coupe or Ferrari FF?

Only ones sold in the US that immediately jump to mind. :(

The Z4 M-coupe has always been the best looking BMW. It wasn't long-lived though.

Twerk from Home posted:

The 4cyl gen coupe is rated at 17 mpg city, what the christ.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33409&id=34586

My lifetime MPG on my (obviously 4cyl) STi is right at 18.3. This is about a 50/50 mix of city and interstate driving.

My wife has an 8-speed 3.8 Gen Coupe track ed, and she sits around 20MPG.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's pretty bad. I drive a v8 luxobarge like an rear end in a top hat, and can't force it under 20mpg.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kill-9 posted:

The first time I saw a C30 I recognized the nod to the rear glass design of the 1800 immediately.

Such a handsome little hatch, but the problem is, they are (were?) quite little. And the rear glass is wee. I test-drove one a few months before I bought the Speed and I still wonder if I would have enjoyed life if I'd got one of those and chipped it. I don't do that with FoSTs or GTIs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You guys loved the GLA, right? Because you'll really like this as well:

Say hello to the Q3, yours for about 32k!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fuel economy is DRASTICALLY influenced by terrain.

I average about 3mpg better in VA when I've driven down to DC than I do in western PA. Hills take their toll.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kill-9 posted:

My grandfather had one in the late 70's. I loved that car almost as much as he did. Then he decided to drive home from a bar after a few beers one night. He didn't cause the accident that totaled it but I believe if he hadn't also been tipsy he'd have been able to avoid the drunk driver that sideswiped him. Cops found the other guy at fault and my grandfather got a stern talking to from the cops. The 70's were a different time in regards to driving a bit impaired.

Looked a lot like this one.

Aha, you missed an iteration!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

InitialDave posted:

Aha, you missed an iteration!

I don't think the 480ES was sold in the States, and didn't it also have some awful unreliable Renault power plant as well?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

You guys loved the GLA, right? Because you'll really like this as well:

Say hello to the Q3, yours for about 32k!

I kinda like it

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

I don't think the 480ES was sold in the States, and didn't it also have some awful unreliable Renault power plant as well?

The 480 had many problems, the drivetrain wasn't one of them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

davebo posted:

Could be, or I may just be misremembering some photoshop concept of a CLA hatchback. I'm always disappointed with the lack of wagons in America and people are always photoshopping them into existence. My life would be a fair amount more convenient if my Optima SX suddenly had a D pillar.

The sister car to that, The Hyundai Elantra, has a touring model that is like that. Ever looked into it?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

YF19pilot posted:

Unless I'm misremembering, the 300 and 400 series Volvos were basically DAFs. Europe-only and with Dutch reliability, build quality, and overall characteristics instead of Swedish.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

atomicthumbs posted:

Unless I'm misremembering, the 300 and 400 series Volvos were basically DAFs. Europe-only and with Dutch reliability, build quality, and overall characteristics instead of Swedish.

Poking around, according to Wikipedia the 400 series (or at least the 480) was suppose to come state-side but didn't because

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Throatwarbler posted:

The V6 Accord and Altima seem to be doing all right, I think it's easy enough to get decent fuel economy if you wanted.

Yeah, they're not all bad, which is why I said the Legacy is an extreme example.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, stick and performance package (so 3.31 and 255 P Zeros all-around). It's just the nature of my commute. Even my Celica only returns 25mpg when I drive it to work, it used to be that I was hard-pressed to see below 30.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Coredump posted:

The sister car to that, The Hyundai Elantra, has a touring model that is like that. Ever looked into it?

The Optima is a midsize car; its Hyundai analogue is the Sonata. The Elantra is a compact.

The Elantra GT is actually based on the European i30 (I think?) and is a few inches shorter than the Elantra/Forte sedan and coupe.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Augmented Dickey posted:

The Optima is a midsize car; its Hyundai analogue is the Sonata. The Elantra is a compact.

The Elantra GT is actually based on the European i30 (I think?) and is a few inches shorter than the Elantra/Forte sedan and coupe.

Well drat I got told. I was pretty surprised when I saw one just recently. I honestly thought it was a Canadian car until I saw the plates on it since I'd never seen one before and station wagons so rare in the US.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I test drove a 2013 model and it was really nice aside from being a little underpowered (around 145hp I think).

Now they have the 173hp powerplant from the Forte Koup so I imagine they're quite a bit quicker. If I was looking for a car right now the GT would definitely be on my short list.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Coredump posted:

Well drat I got told. I was pretty surprised when I saw one just recently. I honestly thought it was a Canadian car until I saw the plates on it since I'd never seen one before and station wagons so rare in the US.

But to answer your question I did investigate a lot of compacts and hatchbacks when picking a new daily driver in 2012 and there were a lot of decent ones out there, but one requirement I had was being able to slide an 8+ foot long screen in through the trunk without it coming dangerously close to the dash, which cut down a lot of options. I don't like the looks of the Sonata nearly as much as the Optima but if they made a turbo Sonata wagon I probably would have gotten one.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, they're not all bad, which is why I said the Legacy is an extreme example.

Subaru's full time AWD is notoriously thirsty. The Legacy getting worse mileage than other cars in its class is no surprise. I think that's the reason they're tending towards CVTs lately, to compensate for the AWD drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Not totally happy with the GT86? Toyota has something for you!