Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but

TieTuesday posted:

This is amazing! How did this even happen how can I make this happen?

Through the power of Ubisoft Abstergo engineering!

Read: It's a glitch, and I wish I knew how to recreate it. Seems to happen when you load a new area while on the boatship.:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

TieTuesday posted:

This is amazing! How did this even happen how can I make this happen?

It just randomly happens sometimes. Usually when you load into a new scene or respawn. I had it happen during the credits (where you get to pilot the boat underwater), once when I was standing on the boat for a mission and once at a dock (where the boat doesn't appear and there is a negative space in the water), several crew members ascended to heaven on both of those days.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It is important to remember reality was very unstable during much of the 18th century, it was not until the latter half of the 19th century that industrialization began to pin space-time down enough to stop it from occasionally turning inside out.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
Earth Overclock Alpha
Free action roguelike reminds me of footage I have scoped of the Binding of Isaac

::tubular::Gamingo - EarthOverclocked Alpha::tubular::

Best Regards,
RG

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3 (New!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPIcYx_r9ps

Today on Let's Chill to Dark Souls 2 we make our way to the Iron Keep, then tie up a few loose ends. With this video I tried making the audio a little quieter as a whole, let me know if you like it this way. I think Explosions in the Sky might be a little too 'intense' for the atmosphere I'm going for so I don't think I'll be using them again. Probably more Tycho next time, who knows.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Part 5
It happened, within the first 5 minutes of this video, it actually happened.
I can die happy.

TieTuesday fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 26, 2014

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3 (New!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPIcYx_r9ps

Today on Let's Chill to Dark Souls 2 we make our way to the Iron Keep, then tie up a few loose ends. With this video I tried making the audio a little quieter as a whole, let me know if you like it this way. I think Explosions in the Sky might be a little too 'intense' for the atmosphere I'm going for so I don't think I'll be using them again. Probably more Tycho next time, who knows.

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying this.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

TieTuesday posted:

Part 6
I can die happy.
This...this is the true glory of our time.

There is nothing that can be greater than this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really hope you keep on the boating until the ending where Kenway explains the difference between a ship and a boat. It's just... perfectly fitting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mister Xenophobe posted:

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying this.

Thanks, I'm glad. :) I haven't gotten very many comments on it in the places I've posted it but I guess that's to be expected since it's kind of a niche thing. I was gonna make a thread for it since I'm doing quite a bit more editing than this thread demands, but I don't know if it's worth its own because I'm sorta ignoring the story.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Catswooooooooorth. You're makin me mad with these lack of DS2 updates.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

anilEhilated posted:

I really hope you keep on the boating until the ending where Kenway explains the difference between a ship and a boat. It's just... perfectly fitting.

I'm like 95% sure that little bit of dialogue only exists because the devs knew that people would be making boat jokes constantly throughout the game.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Scaramouche posted:

Catswooooooooorth. You're makin me mad with these lack of DS2 updates.

Sorry! In addition to my usual guests either not being busy or just seeming to get tired of it I've been working 72 hour weeks so finding time to stream has been difficult. Wish I could tell you I'd be able to pick it up soon but I don't have any real estimate unfortunately.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TieTuesday posted:

Part 5
I can die happy.

A note on forts: the forts in AC4 are if anything underequipped with weaponry. While smaller coastal fortresses would maybe only have a few dozen cannons larger fortifications could sprout hundreds of cannons of various sizes as well as multiple mortars and were more than capable of fending off a siege from even small armadas for a considerable length of time.

Forts also often used hot shot; cannonballs heated until they were searing hot and then fired. The inherant danger of hot shot and the ease at which you could gently caress it up and blow yourself up meant that hot shot was too accident-prone to be easily used on ships. Forts though tend not to pitch and roll about in combat and are usually made of less flammable materials than a boat so hot shot works great for them. In general in the Age of Sail if you really wanted to take a fort you either showed up with some serious boat firepower or you went overland (which had its own issues).

Forts in AC4 are laughably pathetic and it's pretty easy to just run around and capture all the non-plot important ones that the game will let you capture right after your first round of ship upgrades (profitable too). I will admit however that boat battles in AC4 are quite complex and require you to pay attention to lots of things at once so I don't blame you for being terrible at it with those co-commentators distracting you :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4 (New!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLrzkmzPf9Q

Today on Let's Chill to Dark Souls 2 we explore the Iron Keep and then kill one of the baddest monsters that exists with only a lightning toothpick. Do note that I may encounter problems with copyright stuff on this video, because it features Tycho's newest album in the background. To get around WMG I slow the music's audio track down to 105% of its normal speed, which is almost inaudible at the volume level the music is at, but sometimes things slip through. If it disappears and then reappears with different music, that's why. Enjoy, and please feel free to subscribe to me if you want my videowhatsits delivered straight to your cyberspacebox. :)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Neruz posted:

Forts in AC4 are laughably pathetic and it's pretty easy to just run around and capture all the non-plot important ones that the game will let you capture right after your first round of ship upgrades (profitable too). I will admit however that boat battles in AC4 are quite complex and require you to pay attention to lots of things at once so I don't blame you for being terrible at it with those co-commentators distracting you :v:
Agreed, the forts are very easy so long as you have a good handle on speed and after upgrading the first round of stuff. I knocked out all the forts before I was even halfway through the main game and I only ever died once because of weather patterns.

Actual ship combat is incredibly fun but also requires a lot of focus when handling the big boys. Gunboats are no hassle, they're flies. Schooners are like guys with little daggers all running around to stab you while you try and fight the big one. Bigger ships well...you saw how well that went.
Mortars work best via the Space Invaders rule. Shoot at where they are going to be, not where they actually are.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
poo poo, I think that was almost two months since the last video or something. Anyway, part 4 is ready!

Since it's has been so long, a refresher: If you just want the video, scroll down to the end of the post.

Some links to the older parts:

Homeworld: Cataclysm 01 - The training

Homeworld: Cataclysm 02 - Space War in Space

Homeworld: Cataclysm 03 - The Search for Trouble

What the hell is a Kiith?

Kushan society is organized along loose family associations. An extended family grouping is called a Kiith (plural: Kiithid) and most anthrocists agree it is a social artifact that probably dates back before our arrival on Kharak itself. Interpretation of ancient legends and translations of texts found in the ruins of Khar-Toba suggest that over generations, all social structures except the most basic family bonds have broken down.

A Kiith has a loose hierarchy based on one’s social position within the family. Originally this was based primarily on seniority, but as technology has changed the face of life on Kharak, the Kiithid too have changed, and now family ranking is based more on wealth or personal influence than simple age. Organization within the Kiith is recursive in nature, and models that of a core family unit. Where a single family has a Primary leader, a secondary and then a group of dependants, the next level of Kiith organization is based on the same system. There is a Primary family who makes policy decisions, a Secondary family which hears disputes and makes recommendations, and a number of families of lesser power that have sworn allegiance to the Primary.

The Primary family for a Kiith is called the Kiith-Sa. This structure is not static by any means, and, while it is not a trivial matter, families are free to change their primary allegiances as they see fit. A family’s position within the Kith rises and falls with how many swear allegiance to them. Although it is much more rare, from time to time a family will move from one Kiith to another or even feel the need to begin a full Kiith of their own.

In ancient times, a Kiith-Sa could direct the entire Kiith to war, demand all families dedicate time and finances to special projects, or even move the Kiith to another region. In modern times, the Kiith-Sa is a political and financial leader only in that it acts on the wishes of the entire Kiith as established by referendums. The Kiith-Sa from all over Kharak meet in the Great Daiamid located in the capital of Tiir to debate global policy and resolve legal conflicts between Kiiths.

Traditionally, Kiiths usually concentrate their power in one or two disciplines and gather families under their banner by being the best place to find advancement in a particular field. For example, Kiith Sjet has been associated with the sciences on Kharak for over a thousand years, and is known to have the most advanced computer labs in the world. Bonded couples interested in the field often apply to a S’jet family associated with such labs. Alliances between Kiith are also based on mutual interests, and they often lead to closer ties or complete reorganizations. Never has the Kiith system faced such upheaval than during the years following our people’s arrival on Hiigara, the homeworld.

And now that this really important question has been answered, onward with part four of the LP:

Homeworld: Cataclysm 04 - Minesweeper Advanced

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 27, 2014

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

(Click banner for playlist)

Magical Hat

A brief look back at the game that became DecapAttack. (Mild de-sync attack towards the end; gently caress it, 2007, etc.)

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Iron Chitlin posted:

I have no words, here's Rogue Ops...

Mission 1: La Casa Negra

I just started watching this, but I swear that russian bad guy looks like Krieger from Archer

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Part 6, I'm doing some sidequests (they are much better) before the next big section. So no worries I don't hate the game.
I will maintain that the stealth/following is bad till I D-I-E though.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Neruz posted:

I was skimming the thread and saw this, and for a second when I read "Forts in AC4" I thought that there was an Armored Core 4 LP I'd managed to miss and you were talking about Arms Forts. Then I read the rest of the post and was pleasantly surprised to learn fort facts!

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 28, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

TieTuesday posted:

Part 6, I'm doing some sidequests (they are much better) before the next big section. So no worries I don't hate the game.

BTW this has been amazing to watch while I've been writing stuff up, keep it up man

Killer Emcee
May 19, 2010

"Looks like your angel has misplaced her halo."

Chapter 1-2

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

TieTuesday posted:

Watching you try and take on Storm Fort was pretty great. Those spouts are always there, and they always follow the same pattern. You actually had the right idea on the last attempt, you just weren't out quite far enough. That said, by the time I started dealing with all the forts, I'd finished the story and had a seriously overpowered shipboat. So, there's that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Twiggymouse posted:

Watching you try and take on Storm Fort was pretty great. Those spouts are always there, and they always follow the same pattern. You actually had the right idea on the last attempt, you just weren't out quite far enough. That said, by the time I started dealing with all the forts, I'd finished the story and had a seriously overpowered shipboat. So, there's that.

You can actually clear out the forts really early into the story - I did most of the sidequest stuff before embarking on the mission to meet the mayassassins for the first time. Boat combat isn't really that complicated and forts are pretty predictable.
I still want to see the legendary boats.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

You can actually clear out the forts really early into the story - I did most of the sidequest stuff before embarking on the mission to meet the mayassassins for the first time. Boat combat isn't really that complicated and forts are pretty predictable.
I still want to see the legendary boats.

Yeah, I just never got around to them till late game. :shrug:

The legendary shipboats are pretty great, but they can be a seriously tough fight, if you're not prepared. One of the fights is actually two massive man-o-wars where the best strategy is to run between them and let them blow each other apart. I do hope Tie & Co. take them on, though, if only for the initial reactions.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Legendary Boats are super fun to fight but you really want to have a fully or near fully upgraded ship before you take them on. You can defeat them earlier but it requires exploiting bugs in the bote AI and takes forever.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Speaking of storm wizards and side quests, here's that video!
I didn't segment it so it's really long (my mistake) so I threw some bookmarks on to maybe help out a bit?

Also gently caress wizards for real.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TieTuesday posted:

Speaking of storm wizards and side quests, here's that video!
I didn't segment it so it's really long (my mistake) so I threw some bookmarks on to maybe help out a bit?

Also gently caress wizards for real.

A detailed study of human history reveals that Wizards are responsible for everything that is bad in the world.

Wizards are the worst.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair if Ubisoft was concerned with what the players actually want to do, they'd axe the assassin thing and make a game about pirates.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It is pretty funny that Ubisoft made one of the best Pirate games ever made while instead trying to make a game about Assassins. I'm really beginning to notice a pattern with AAA open world style games that have amazing sidequest stuff and terrible main stories, I wonder if it's just a coincidence or not.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

http://games.on.net/2014/06/ubisoft-game-the-review/

I feel this is relevant.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To be fair Ubisoft have gotten really good at doing open worlds thanks all that practice making Ubisoft Games :v:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

TieTuesday posted:

That fort at the end was being pretty loving bullshit about where you should have been able to dock, it SHOULD have loving told you you were RIGHT THERE but at least you got checkpointed. I tend not to get to the forts until last because then it reveals what's on the map and it kinda ruins the mystery of exploring the great ocean.

Plus it's fun going to the fort when all tooled up and loving murder everyone. On the plus side, nice work dealing with a fort while underequipped, props to ya man!

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Collapse: Episode 24 - Finale

Rodan finally reaches the end of his journey. Thanks for watching.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Part 8
I found a side quest that unfortunately requires tailing and eavesdropping and dialogue and all of my favorite things.
I did however commit the best "stealth kill" so far in my Assassin's Creed experience.

(I profusely apologize if I get a bit whiny at the end. I just don't feel like the "stealth" elements are consistent and it makes me sad/mad.)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TieTuesday posted:

Part 8
I found a side quest that unfortunately requires tailing and eavesdropping and dialogue and all of my favorite things.
I did however commit the best "stealth kill" so far in my Assassin's Creed experience.

(I profusely apologize if I get a bit whiny at the end. I just don't feel like the "stealth" elements are consistent and it makes me sad/mad.)

The stealth elements -are- consistant but they're super gamey and you keep trying to approach the stealth as if it were real stealth instead of game stealth :v:

Basically you're Assassin's Creeding wrong.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Spoiler: this isn't even the worst tailing section of the game. Anyway, the best way to cheese just about anythin stealth-related is to just hire dancers.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

anilEhilated posted:

Anyway, the best way to cheese just about anythin stealth-related is to just hire dancers.

First you get the money, then you get the women, then you get the power.
Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TieTuesday posted:

First you get the money, then you get the women, then you get the power.
Got it.

Also in boat combat when you are boarding people you can jump on a swivel gun and get a couple of shots with the gun. The shots explode violently and can be used to set off gunpowder (red barrels) on the other ship's deck and kill a number of crew to make the boarding faster. If you're careful you can often take out the entire crew of smaller boats, but on larger boats the extra casualties you can cause with the swivel gun are super useful.

• Locked thread