Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Sending a notification when the app is closed is basic poo poo you can do in ios just like anything else. Being able to see and respond to an attack immediately vs. only getting the notice 10 minutes later when it's long dead is a significant advantage; there is no excuse for denying an entire platform something that basic and vital because :effort:

Anecdotally, today I happened to have gmail open right when somebody took a swipe at the portals next to my apartment and I was able to get out there and restock them before they took out the whole thing; they saw someone actively fighting them and bailed. I probably wouldn't have been able to take them back judging by how many XMPs I chewed through just to kill the one they fully powered.

How does glyph hacking work? I draw the glyph it shows me and most of the time it doesn't accept it. What is the trick?

Javid fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It could be that they're rolling out features gradually so it doesn't overwhelm their servers. I can see that as the reason they've not given the ability to submit portals yet.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, I just assumed these features didn't make it in because they were on a deadline and some features had to get cut out.

I worked on the iPhone and Android versions of my company's app. We did the iPhone one first. The Android one had some features de-scoped for the first release and didn't do everything the iOS one did, because we just didn't have the resources to get it all done and getting something out that hit 85% of everything was more important. It wasn't platform favoritism or anything like that, it was just a function of resource availability and that "'better' is the enemy of 'done.'" Now we're shipping incremental updates to get it up to feature parity.

I'm not aware of any Apple content policy rule that would preclude you from using in-game passcodes to get in-game items. No money is changing hands, so it's not like they're getting cheated out of their 30% cut (which is what they care about).

And there was a time when there were no Ingress push notifications on Android, either :v:

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

It would be nice if there was at least a way to submit portals and codes through the website for iOS users. For real-time notifications I was thinking about setting up a filter for emails from Ingress to forward to an email address that is only used for that and set up push notifications for that account, but :effort:.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
None of the lack of functions in IOS is a gently caress IOS users thing. It's because the IOS users are using the version that was submitted months ago by google when they first tried to get approved. Google has been trying to push updates, and apple is dragging their feet, like they do with all other google aps. It's just phone politics.

edit: Also phone notifications suck even on android, they can be delayed by 10 minutes are more sometimes too.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 30, 2014

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I can definitely see this as an issue.

I worked for a company that made a mobile version of their app for Apple - and it took nearly a month for it to get accepted. We finally had to submit an 8 page document )which I got to write) for Apple on how to run the application, and the technical details of it, before it got accepted. :psyduck:.

But then, they supported it, and pushed updates to the app in a timely fashion. Maybe an update for you iOS users, that fixes these issues, will come quickly.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
According to what I read, 700mu was reached, so portals won't degrade so quickly.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MisterBibs posted:

According to what I read, 700mu was reached, so portals won't degrade so quickly.

Boooo.

Qu Appelle posted:

I can definitely see this as an issue.

I worked for a company that made a mobile version of their app for Apple - and it took nearly a month for it to get accepted. We finally had to submit an 8 page document )which I got to write) for Apple on how to run the application, and the technical details of it, before it got accepted. :psyduck:.

But then, they supported it, and pushed updates to the app in a timely fashion. Maybe an update for you iOS users, that fixes these issues, will come quickly.

Yeah, and a update did come that added things like multi recycle and such. That was one of the big signs about how long it had been in approval limbo. There was an ingress report image that showed some bit about the app going through the final approval and then a bunch of updates came out to the client. A month later ios shows up and it's got the feature list from a month and a half ago, before a lot of the quality of life stuff was put in. Still not sure why ios is missing on pass codes and submissions, but a lot of the other stuff is just them having to play catch up.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

I agree, as a level 2 I can't really attack anyone's portals, I like to see them turning grey on their own.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Chernobyl Prize posted:

I agree, as a level 2 I can't really attack anyone's portals, I like to see them turning grey on their own.

If there's no shields, you should be able to take down a lvl 3-4 portal as long as you stand on each resonator as you're attacking.

Does the ios version have the glyph hack? If you're on the portal screen, hold down the hack button and a memory game pops up. You can get extra gear when hacking.

Another tip for new players, when attacking, hold down the attack(whatever it's called) button. There's a circle that shrinks down to where you're attacking, over and over. When you get it zoomed in as much as the circle can, let go and you do extra damage.

Sair
May 11, 2007

How long does a dropped key last?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

chemosh6969 posted:

Does the ios version have the glyph hack?

Yes, but it seems to only accept a correctly drawn symbol some of the time. It's really annoying.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sair posted:

How long does a dropped key last?

If you drop an item it will vanish after around 12 hours.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Sorry-- glyph hack?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Sorry-- glyph hack?

Hold down the hack button instead of just tapping it. There's a minigame that lets you win more items - if you lose you just get the same amount as if you tapped.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Guardian hunting is alive and well among New England Enlightened. Just had someone drive past many blue portals to come take mine out, and getting anywhere from the portal required driving past many more blue portals. I was at 83 days.

In the past 83 days, it has only had one drive by attack.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Mr. Powers posted:

Guardian hunting is alive and well among New England Enlightened. Just had someone drive past many blue portals to come take mine out, and getting anywhere from the portal required driving past many more blue portals. I was at 83 days.

In the past 83 days, it has only had one drive by attack.

Who are you?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Carticket

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Actually I probably should have asked who took it out

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Actually I probably should have asked who took it out

Nymble

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'm not in the NH group so I can't know for sure - but based on stuff I've seen him post, you're probably right, though I still don't think people have any way of knowing what the day was other than the old google docs spreadsheets (or his own) that are probably still being updated

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm not in the NH group so I can't know for sure - but based on stuff I've seen him post, you're probably right, though I still don't think people have any way of knowing what the day was other than the old google docs spreadsheets (or his own) that are probably still being updated

So, do you think I'm safer taking a new portal? I think the last one I took before the Intel API change, but maybe not.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

So, do you think I'm safer taking a new portal? I think the last one I took before the Intel API change, but maybe not.

You're never "safe" - but as far as I know no one has a way of tracking when a new portal was captured without doing a massive IITC scrape daily

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've set up guardians after the change and they still got found, so they're still scrapping the data.

edit: And as far as them knowing how old the portal is it's relatively simple if you're scraping the data to get a gauge of things. I don't think everyone is doing it because I've seen people target really young guardians.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 31, 2014

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have a work around: winter + foot access only.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That'll do it, but don't put too much stock in it. After all, we've all heard the helicopter story before.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

That'll do it, but don't put too much stock in it. After all, we've all heard the helicopter story before.

Pretend I haven't (I haven't).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Or just an unemployed nerds with what seems like infinite time and money. Basically 95% of this game's player population.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There's been a number of times where obvious spoofing has taken down hard to reach portals. I think the original helicopter story was actually at an anamoly back in beta. The excuse was they had a helicopter.

Edit: Basic lesson is don't get attached. No portal is fool proof, and definitely nothing is spoof proof. Be glad we're mostly Americans. It's bad in Europe.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

"Renting a helicopter" is usually the joke people make about trying to gain access to hard to reach portals
It's happened 2 or 3 times for real (usually posted in the ingress community with pictures)
It's also been the "excuse" that spoofers use many more times than that

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Overnight resistance set up a field with points in New Hampshire, Vermont... and Bermuda. :stare:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, not every helicopter story is just spoofing. There's a lot of cool chartered boats and planes stories.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So as a plucky level 2 enlightened lone wolf, is there anything I can do to take down these high level portals? With my lv2 xmp bursters and that holdown release trick I'm only doing 1% damage to resonators.

Also, what determines a portal level?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Snuffman posted:

So as a plucky level 2 enlightened lone wolf, is there anything I can do to take down these high level portals? With my lv2 xmp bursters and that holdown release trick I'm only doing 1% damage to resonators.

You need to level up before attacking is worth a drat. Pull up the Intel map and find portals to deploy on and link to gain AP for now.

Portal levels are determined by the amount and levels of deployed resonators on that portal. Take a read through Decode Ingress's manual.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Snuffman posted:

I'd go to https://www.ingress.com/intel and set the filter on the bottom right of the screen to 25%. That should give you a good starting point for where you need to go. At your level, make sure there's no shields on them unless you have some ultra strikes to use.

If you're looking for a quick way to level up, learn how to layer your fields.

http://decodeingress.me/2013/06/22/ingress-onion-fields-overlap-multi-mu/
http://decodeingress.me/2013/06/27/ingress-onion-fields-part-2-4-with-4/
http://decodeingress.me/2014/01/04/ingress-onion-fields-pt-3/

If you have the gear, layered fields are also the best to destroy because you get so many points for each link and field you take out. You don't even really need to worry about completely taking out the portal. As long as you get it down to 2 resonators, the links and fields will fall. If you have the gear though, go ahead and take it all the way out.

I like to check the intel map before I go home and if I see something good, I'll stop by to take it down. A couple weeks ago I hit a good portal that got me around 14k.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The short version is that it's an average of all the resonators on the portal, with blanks being counted as 0.

So an 8/1/1/1/1/1/1/1 portal would be 15/8 = 1.875, a level 1 portal. But put a single level 2 resonator on it (8/2/1/1/1/1/1/1), and you've got 16/8 = 2 a level 2 portal.

I'd say by level 4ish, you can start taking down level 8 resonators with the hold-down trick fairly well. Of course, if the portal has shield mods, that'll be a lot more difficult.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

You also get lots of AP for both capturing a portal, and finishing off a portal.

So, if there's a bunch of up captured ones in your area, and you don't have a lot of gear, just throw one reso on them for the capture, and move on. Alternatively, if you find a bunch of portals with 1-3 open slots, fill them in. You get a bonus for completing the portal.

Also hack absolutely everything in sight.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

"Renting a helicopter" is usually the joke people make about trying to gain access to hard to reach portals
It's happened 2 or 3 times for real (usually posted in the ingress community with pictures)
It's also been the "excuse" that spoofers use many more times than that

The DC Metropolitan Area Enlightened have a member who owns a helicopter and has a pilot's license. On the underside, she's painted their local faction logo.

She was at Gettysburg with her agent ID on her shirt, the back reading "Aerial Guardian Hunter", and I asked why. Apparently the DC Resistance hate her.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 31, 2014

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snuffman posted:

Adding to the chorus of "at this point your objective is to level up." Hack everything you see, especially enemy portals -- you get a bit of AP for doing that, and at low levels it can add up to a noticeable amount. Put resonators on anything with open slots (especially gray unclaimed portals), place shields and other mods, link anything that's close enough, and if you can, link them into triangles to make some fields. Anything to keep accumulating that sweet sweet AP. Level 4 or so is about where attacking stops being completely hopeless. By level 6 you're becoming a powerful asset to your team.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: Die, enlightened scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Oh yeah, almost forgot: Die, enlightened scum.

Thanks for the tips. :)

Yeah. Saskatchewan is weird as far a portals go. Most are pretty entrenched but a bunch just got added at the mall near me so I snatched them up.

I want to see if I can link them to a portal I grabbed in another town for some hot cross-province field action.

• Locked thread