Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

I'm enjoying that someone just slapped a...Bulgarian(?) flag over the very noticeably Chinese warrior. Seems a bit random.

There are several other changes, too--G20 changed to G7, Japan changed to Canada, the blue-and-white (?--possibly Israel, although it isn't part of the G20?) neck on the left changed to Italy, and a star of David added (for that added antisemitic touch). Doesn't quite make sense as the G7, since it only has six heads (apparently the far-right person that changed the picture is least pissed at Japan). I'm not sure how the apparently original G20 image works either, though, since Russia and China are part of the G20.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

The loading screens in Spec Ops: The Line are kind of grim.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 31, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Volcott posted:

Everything about Spec Ops: The Line is grim, and it is better for it.

I'm partial to this 51 state design

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Volcott posted:

Spec Ops: The Line is also a very subversive take, and critique on modern military shooters games.
And I would not want it any other way.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElMaligno posted:

Spec Ops: The Line is also a very subversive take, and critique on modern military shooters games.
And I would not want it any other way.

It's also a really boring game. I couldn't get through it because the gameplay is so bland :negative:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFd8jVrbf0A

:smithicide:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Notorious QIG posted:

That flag is the emblem of the Three Percenters, who are the militia arm of the Oath Keepers, a far-right nationalist organization that believe it is their sworn duty to protect the Constitution from the government. The name comes from an unsubstantiated statistic that only 3% of the colonial population physically took up arms against the British. This is their flag:

The mask is a video game mask, but I can't place it offhand.

My dad works with a guy who does all that three percenter bullshit on FB. Usually I ignore it but the one time he trotted out the three percent stat and said it should have been a hundred percent and I had to point out that if one hundred percent of the population is fighting a war then they will probably starve to death soon enough since the whole economy has been abandoned.

Best part is how he espouses all this government takeover poo poo while simultaneously going on about our great and heroic military. Plus he works for a defense contractor. I can't imagine living with that much cognitive dissonance.

have some stupid poo poo

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Chief Savage Man posted:

My dad works with a guy who does all that three percenter bullshit on FB. Usually I ignore it but the one time he trotted out the three percent stat and said it should have been a hundred percent and I had to point out that if one hundred percent of the population is fighting a war then they will probably starve to death soon enough since the whole economy has been abandoned.

Best part is how he espouses all this government takeover poo poo while simultaneously going on about our great and heroic military. Plus he works for a defense contractor. I can't imagine living with that much cognitive dissonance.

have some stupid poo poo

Ask him if that 3% included these guys:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeroisanumber posted:

Ask him if that 3% included these guys:

Is that a French soldier? Because without them America isn't winning poo poo.

Behold, the glorious 3 percent:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

It's also a really boring game. I couldn't get through it because the gameplay is so bland :negative:

I liked it, game play is average the story and plot owns. Also Hunter S Thompson reference. :swoon:

A new game coming out sometime called This War Of Mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH_tYB_Ntlg

quote:

This War Of Mine is a game that provides an experience of war seen from an entirely new angle. For the very first time you do not play as an elite soldier, rather a group of civilians trying to survive in a besieged city. During the day snipers outside stop you from leaving your refuge, so you need to focus on maintaining your hideout. At night you get a chance to scavenge nearby locations for items that will help you stay alive.
Make life-and-death decisions driven by your conscience. Try to protect everybody from your shelter or sacrifice some of them to endure the hardships. During war, there are no good or bad decisions; there is only survival. The sooner you realize that, the better.

Terraria meets The Sims meets the brutal realities of war.

Inspiried by true events and Paper, Please. Hopefully it won't be as mind numbing repetitive and dull as Paper, Please.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 31, 2014

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Couple pages ago but Stewart Lee's bit on Top Gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The best evidence, however, is found in the nature of the war itself. Many years later General Robert E. Lee correctly pointed out that the American Revolution had been a true civil war, for the population in virtually every area reflected a division of opinion, whereas the Civil War was much more of a sectional conflict. Recent historians of the Loyalists, such as William Nelson, have estimated them at no more than a sixth of the population. If that estimate is correct, the only alternative to a massive American majority is a very large neutral group. But if that were so, how can the collapse of the legitimacy of British institutions even before the outbreak of fighting, which will always tend to polarize the neutrals, be explained? Further, the patriots managed not only to subdue the internal Loyalist opposition, which had the support of the British army, Hessian mercenaries, and Indian allies, but also to mount an assault on Canada

From the trailer of upcoming game The Sun Also Rises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF_56QMocE0

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nibbles141 posted:

Couple pages ago but Stewart Lee's bit on Top Gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc

Couple of pages ago and also that video was already posted.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

so so sad, I wonder how Israel feel about this UN employe-Israel’s UN Ambassador Calls for ‘Immediate’ Suspension of UNRWA Spokesman Chris Gunness

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

The Berlin Olympic Stadium got transformed into a giant polling place for the Turkish elections.

Is this only a thing in Germany or does it happen elsewhere, too? For instance Mexicans in the USA?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Honj Steak posted:

Is this only a thing in Germany or does it happen elsewhere, too? For instance Mexicans in the USA?

I think if there was a giant stadium devoted to Mexican expatriots voting you'd see some kind of giant uproar. However, it does happen on a smaller scale for various nationalities. I had a coworker who had duel US and Belgian citizenship, and he would go to a local school or something where they had set up a voting center for Belgian expats.

French soldiers harassing a German citizen during a military funeral in the aftermath of WWI.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

As usual, comments are completely rear end posted:

Gunness was responsible for the false claim that Israel hit a school during Cast Lead, and had desroyed warehouses full of food.

Mad Mad Gilbert was guilty of posting fauxtographs of himself with purportedly dead children.

The two make a lovely pair.

Mad Mads Gilbert in another "fauxtograph". Look at all those lens flares. Obviously the work of JJ Abrams

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Yeah it's so obviously fake, you never see glare like that from a high vis jacket

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I dunno, the devil sounds like a pretty rad guy.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Verisimilidude posted:

I dunno, the devil sounds like a pretty rad guy.

Sometimes I wonder if Christians were historically persecuted for being lame, boring fucks.

Content:

Should've seen it coming.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

LeeMajors posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Christians were historically persecuted for being lame, boring fucks.

Actually, yes. The early Christians faced a lot of persecution in Roman times because they didn't go to the circus, the public baths, the theater, or any of the popular diversions of the day because of their invocations of "false idols" and so on.

For an example of how Theater was objectionable to the early Christians, it was common for stories told at the theater to be wrapped up with an icon of one of the gods descending upon the stage to explain how everyone lived happily ever after (or likely not, as in the case of the countless dramas), as seen here:

It's what we get the term and concept of "deus ex machina" from, though in those days it was not seen as a lazy writer's tool so much as just the typical storytelling praxis.

But yes, early Christians were seen as a bunch of weirdo sticks in the mud, and that's why they were disliked in Roman society.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 31, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

emfive posted:

One of my kids is in DC sightseeing and he just texted me with advice to google "anonomobile"

More info conveniently available from anonomobile.com
Hahahahaha this is an amazing mixture of right-wing Bible quoting and 4chan Anonymous chest thumping.

The best part:

quote:

Overthrowing the United States government is legal as long as you don’t advocate or use violence, so don’t let anyone convince you otherwise.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Early Christians were disliked and persecuted by the Roman elites because they were a sect that refused to partake in the imperial religion which (by veneration of the emperor for example) was an important factor in maintaining the status quo. They also mostly could be found in the poorer strata of society, and some scholars maintain that at least for the first century or so, Christianity was mostly a religion of the Greek-speaking people of the Empire, i.e. a "foreign" minority in the western half of it. All this and the missionary bent of early Christianity was what made the Roman elites see them as a threat - while Jews were seen as suspect and weird, they were mostly tolerated. Being "sticks in the mud" had nothing to do with it, it were instead the same mechanics of repression and persecution that can be seen from the earliest times until today.

The "Alexamenos graffito", scribbled on a wall in Rome probably around 200. The text is written in poor Greek and (probably) reads "Alexamenos worships [his] God". A possible riposte was found in the next chamber, where "Alexamenos is faithful" was written on the wall.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

oh, do tell how your parents created you without the use of sexuality :allears:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Little laborer kid in Iran.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Volkerball posted:

Little laborer kid in Iran.

He looks bored. Maybe he needs more work.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

rip steve this is how we will always remeber u

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Gallic rooster is a traditional symbol of the French nation.

The French national team jerseys sport the rooster

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

What's the epitome of anarchism? Being persecuted by the state more than a hundred years after your death. A police inquiry has listed Bakunin as a potential suspect after hearing his name mentioned in intercepted calls between activists accused of terrorism in Rio de Janeiro. The inquiry itself is a total clusterfuck, with a media corporation getting acess to the case files before the defendant's defense lawyers and the justification for arrest being suspicions of a future crime, basically guilty until proven otherwise, and one of the main police informants posting a video on youtube declaring his (creepy-rear end) love for one of the accused. Now that the defense has got hold of the case documents, stupid poo poo like this is likely to come to light in the coming weeks.

bonus pic:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Male Supremacy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSjBkkOyXkQ

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

karlor posted:

oh, do tell how your parents created you without the use of sexuality :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwo8qxUit00

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLmG9QSlxQQ

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Hahahahaha this is an amazing mixture of right-wing Bible quoting and 4chan Anonymous chest thumping.

The best part:
My favorite part about that bus, they have "9/11 was an inside job" on the drivers side door in small print; as if they were embarrassed to say it but feel the need to let point it out to everyone.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

i don't get it

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

You may have heard of the recent first contact with an isolated tribe living in the Brazilian rainforest, which was caught on tape and released by the Brazilian National Indian Foundation. But that video naturally only provides a short glimpse: most first contact stories don't end with, well, the first contact. What happens afterwards, and how do the natives themselves tell the story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfrDACu7g_c

:nws: for naked natives

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

System Metternich posted:

You may have heard of the recent first contact with an isolated tribe living in the Brazilian rainforest, which was caught on tape and released by the Brazilian National Indian Foundation. But that video naturally only provides a short glimpse: most first contact stories don't end with, well, the first contact. What happens afterwards, and how do the natives themselves tell the story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfrDACu7g_c

:nws: for naked natives

It's really disconcerting to see the whole "white people will come, spread their diseases, steal your land, and then laugh as you try to do anything about it" narrative play out in real(ish)-time in 2014.

A photograph taken at a mass grave dug after the Wounded Knee Massacre.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Soviet style, Tsarist values:

quote:

Vladimir Putin posted:

Now we are reviving the historical truth about the First World War, and we opened countless examples of personal courage and military skill, true patriotism Russian soldiers and officers of Russian society. Opens itself the role of Russia in that complex, fragile time for peace time, especially in the prewar period. It clearly reflects the defining trait of the character of our country, our people.

For many centuries, Russia advocated a strong and trusting relationship between the states. So it was on the eve of the First World War, when Russia did everything to convince Europe to peacefully resolve the conflict without bloodshed between Serbia and Austria-Hungary. But Russia has not been heard, and she had to answer the call to defend the brotherly Slavic people, protecting themselves and their citizens from external threats.

Russia fulfilled its allied duty. Its occurrence in Prussia and Galicia thwarted plans of the enemy, allowed the Allies to hold the front and defend Paris, forced to throw the enemy to the east, where Russian troops fought desperately, a considerable part of his forces. Russia could not hold back this onslaught, and then go on the offensive. And the whole world has heard about the legendary Brusilov breakthrough.

However, this victory was stolen from the country. Stolen by those who called for the defeat of his homeland, his army, sowed discord in Russia, eager to power, betraying national interests.

Today we restore the connection to time, the continuity of our history, and the First World War, its generals, soldiers gain a worthy place in it (as we have the saying, "better late than never"), and in our hearts that sacred memory is acquired, that rightfully deserve soldiers of WWI. Justice prevails on the pages of books and textbooks in the media, in films and, of course, in such memorials which we are opening today.

http://kremlin.ru/news/46385

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

No comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Omi-Polari posted:

Soviet style, Tsarist values:

So, Mr. Putin, you would say that something like this occurred?

• Locked thread