Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

Good news, America! You can now trust your retirement savings are safe in the hands of Dick Morris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkSiDM8Wh6s

Hahaha. In the video description, it says 'Internationally renowned political insider, Dick Morris'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Pope Guilty posted:

Close, it was actually "When Genocide Is Permissible". Slight change of meaning there.

You are right. And the scumbag who wrote it said he never meant to suggest people should get hurt, once the shitstorm started.

Me thinks the Times of Israel is going to crank up the editorial control over their blog section. I can't believe a piece with that title actually made it onto the website.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nancy got a little upset last night when Tom Marino (R-PA) criticized her record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRyEqV4gvoc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

richardfun posted:

The Times of Israel had a lovely blog post up on their website yesterday titled 'When is genocide permissible?'

The Times of Israel is online only and was created 2 years ago. It has a blogs section that is similar to the Forbes sites thing - anyone can create one and presumably makes money off the number of hits (ad impressions) they drive just like Forbes sites. I imagine they're rethinking that setup now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

hobbesmaster posted:

The Times of Israel is online only and was created 2 years ago. It has a blogs section that is similar to the Forbes sites thing - anyone can create one and presumably makes money off the number of hits (ad impressions) they drive just like Forbes sites. I imagine they're rethinking that setup now.

The author of that piece was the founder's son, sooooooooo

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm not American so sorry if this happens a lot but did one of your major parties just sue the sitting president for something that I've never even heard about in any major international news outlet :psyduck:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm pretty sure you can't actually sue the President. Sovereign immunity or somesuch.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Pope Guilty posted:

The author of that piece was the founder's son, sooooooooo

Nope, different newspaper.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Xandu posted:

Nope, different newspaper.

Ah, whoops.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm not American so sorry if this happens a lot but did one of your major parties just sue the sitting president for something that I've never even heard about in any major international news outlet :psyduck:

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't actually sue the President. Sovereign immunity or somesuch.

There is executive privilege, and the Nixonian, "When the President does it, that means it is not illegal." But the larger problem for the House in this lawsuit is that courts have routinely rejected suits from members of Congress against administrations arguing that they don't have standing and that Congress shouldn't even need to sue the administration because it can just pass a law if it doesn't like what the President is doing. The closest to a successful suit from Congress against an administration is the Senate suit against Richard Nixon to produce the White House tapes, but a compromise was reached in that case, after the Saturday Night Massacre.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
The Constitution was written such that the President was implicitly protected from civil/criminal proceedings while in office. The President is vested with the powers of an entire branch of government and the last thing the nation needs is for an entire branch of government to be disrupted by taking a single individual to court. An example of why it would be necessary to provide such temporary immunity to the President can be understood if you imagine a local, insular group of people who dislike the results of an election using trumped-up local charges to take the President to court and prevent him/her from doing their job and effectively nullifying the operations of the Executive branch.

If Congress truly feels that the President is guilty of some high form of misconduct, they have a venue to address their grievances in the process of impeachment. GOP grandstanding is almost always dumb, but this is just... impressively so.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

There is executive privilege, and the Nixonian, "When the President does it, that means it is not illegal." But the larger problem for the House in this lawsuit is that courts have routinely rejected suits from members of Congress against administrations arguing that they don't have standing and that Congress shouldn't even need to sue the administration because it can just pass a law if it doesn't like what the President is doing. The closest to a successful suit from Congress against an administration is the Senate suit against Richard Nixon to produce the White House tapes, but a compromise was reached in that case, after the Saturday Night Massacre.

Attempting to force the turn over of evidence for an impeachment or trial proceeding is probably the only case a court would allow to proceed against the president.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Joementum posted:

Nancy got a little upset last night when Tom Marino (R-PA) criticized her record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRyEqV4gvoc
It's both amusing and terrifying that 'do the research/I did the research' has become the right wing's universal catchall for making poo poo up. It's like your drunk racist uncle has transitioned to embarrassing himself on the House floor instead of just at holidays.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I love this little exchange between Netanyahu and Obama(officials), if it's confirmed to be true -- Netanyahu tells the Obama administration "not to ever second guess me again" on Hamas.

I detest everything Israel has done in this engagement in Gaza, but I personally find it funny that Netanyahu just doesn't care about his standing anymore because he can get away with it. the US is and will continue to be his ally, yet he still feels like telling administration officials to fall in line.

Of course, I have no doubt the administration will stand firm...and continue to capitulate to Israel's grandstanding.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zeroprime posted:

The Constitution was written such that the President was implicitly protected from civil/criminal proceedings while in office. The President is vested with the powers of an entire branch of government and the last thing the nation needs is for an entire branch of government to be disrupted by taking a single individual to court. An example of why it would be necessary to provide such temporary immunity to the President can be understood if you imagine a local, insular group of people who dislike the results of an election using trumped-up local charges to take the President to court and prevent him/her from doing their job and effectively nullifying the operations of the Executive branch.

If Congress truly feels that the President is guilty of some high form of misconduct, they have a venue to address their grievances in the process of impeachment. GOP grandstanding is almost always dumb, but this is just... impressively so.

The President is not immune to civil suits while in office, as Clinton discovered.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I love this little exchange between Netanyahu and Obama(officials), if it's confirmed to be true -- Netanyahu tells the Obama administration "not to ever second guess me again" on Hamas.

I detest everything Israel has done in this engagement in Gaza, but I personally find it funny that Netanyahu just doesn't care about his standing anymore because he can get away with it. the US is and will continue to be his ally, yet he still feels like telling administration officials to fall in line.

Of course, I have no doubt the administration will stand firm...and continue to capitulate to Israel's grandstanding.

It's loving dumb too because Hamas is held responsible for anything that happens, as if they have total control over Gazans. If it were to come out that some people who don't answer to Hamas broke the ceasefire there would be zero fucks given by the US or Israel. Until one side is wiped out this poo poo's never going to end though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Nearly nine years in Thailand tells me from the photo that this man is sextourist.jpg.

EDIT: Hahaha, blind guess was 100% correct. Insert missionary joke.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReindeerF posted:

Nearly nine years in Thailand tells me from the photo that this man is sextourist.jpg.

Incredible. :golfclap:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Now that's a skill.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

ReindeerF posted:

:vince:

I christen it the Rushdar.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
e:nm

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 2, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I should be fair. Dude could be a completely legitimate guy who just happened to have some bad opinions and so on and just looks exactly like a Patch Adams-style sex tourist. It is a pretty strong label to slap on someone. Still, it was the very first thing I thought of when I saw him.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to go to Thailand because the food looked good on Andrew Zimmern's show and they have cheap sits but I don't want to be stereotyped as a sex tourist. Is this possible?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's loving dumb too because Hamas is held responsible for anything that happens, as if they have total control over Gazans. If it were to come out that some people who don't answer to Hamas broke the ceasefire there would be zero fucks given by the US or Israel. Until one side is wiped out this poo poo's never going to end though.

Are you implying that HAMAS might not be as bad as made out, that they are some mis-understood organization, totally aboard the cease fire and the true welfare of Palestinians in their heart?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I want to go to Thailand because the food looked good on Andrew Zimmern's show and they have cheap sits but I don't want to be stereotyped as a sex tourist. Is this possible?

Do you look like a goon?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DarkCrawler posted:

The whole thing is basically the Republican leadership throwing a bone to the Tea Party Republicans, who wan't Obama impeached. Everyone know that actually trying to impeaching him will end badly for the Republicans.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Look up Thai restaurants in your state/country. There's this one place I found recently that has amazing dishes that are amazingly spicy and delicious. :kimchi:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Look up Thai restaurants in your state/country. There's this one place I found recently that has amazing dishes that are amazingly spicy and delicious. :kimchi:

There are like eight Thai places near me I should try sometime. New things are scary :ohdear:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

evilweasel posted:

The President is not immune to civil suits while in office, as Clinton discovered.

On the other hand, Nixon v. Fitzgerald states that the President does have absolute immunity to civil suits regarding actions taken in the capacity of the office; a finding that Clinton v. Jones explicitly declined to overturn insofar as that case was regarding actions taken outside that capacity.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 2, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Thai food is amazing, and this is coming from a guy who otherwise could live on nothing but pizza and Pepsi Throwback

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Here is something I have been thinking about minimum wage. What prevents a company that operates in a state where the Min. Wage is higher than the federal rate to pay it's employees only the federal rate?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BigRed0427 posted:

Here is something I have been thinking about minimum wage. What prevents a company that operates in a state where the Min. Wage is higher than the federal rate to pay it's employees only the federal rate?

It's literally illegal?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

BigRed0427 posted:

The state law.

Is this a trick question?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BigRed0427 posted:

The employer has to obey both laws and does so by paying the wage set up the state. Federal supremacy would only come into play if the state min. wage was lower at which point the employer has to pay the federal rate.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MariusLecter posted:

My friend in Upstate NY (Saratoga Springs area) hasn't been able to find good thai food. He told them "I want it as hot as you can make it" which here in Austin where there are many many Thai places run by expats means "I want you to hurt me" but there apparently meant "warmish".

BigRed0427 posted:

29 U.S. Code § 218(a):

(a) No provision of this chapter or of any order thereunder shall excuse noncompliance with any Federal or State law or municipal ordinance establishing a minimum wage higher than the minimum wage established under this chapter or a maximum work week lower than the maximum workweek established under this chapter, and no provision of this chapter relating to the employment of child labor shall justify noncompliance with any Federal or State law or municipal ordinance establishing a higher standard than the standard established under this chapter. No provision of this chapter shall justify any employer in reducing a wage paid by him which is in excess of the applicable minimum wage under this chapter, or justify any employer in increasing hours of employment maintained by him which are shorter than the maximum hours applicable under this chapter.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I've had a lot of Thai food. In fact, I lived in Hawaii where it's better than most places.

The curry I had in Thailand was the most delicious but also simultaneously face-melting I've had and has yet to be rivaled anywhere I've been.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Thai food is amazing and this is coming from a guy with a peanut recipe. My local place is one of two places near me that understand "can you make it hot?" is actually code for "I enjoy making terrible life choices."

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

DarkCrawler posted:

Yes. Welcome to 2014 American Politics, please enjoy the fact the US has vast amounts of influence all over the world, almost certainly including wherever you live. I would advise you to report to the chat thread for drink suggestions.

Oh wait hey, you're DarkCrawler, you're the one who gave me (and others) a crash course on the history of I/P conflict in the previous I/P threads; you're already familiar with the feeling of existential horror and sadness that comes from watching I/P literal slaughters happening in real-time. Also seriously thanks for your effortposts on I/P, I can follow the current horrors much better now.

:smith::hf::smith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Robviously posted:

Thai food is amazing and this is coming from a guy with a peanut recipe. My local place is one of two places near me that understand "can you make it hot?" is actually code for "I enjoy making terrible life choices."

Can you share your peanut recipe with us? I know this isn't GWS but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Shifty Pony posted:

My friend in Upstate NY (Saratoga Springs area) hasn't been able to find good thai food. He told them "I want it as hot as you can make it" which here in Austin where there are many many Thai places run by expats means "I want you to hurt me" but there apparently meant "warmish".

Sukhothai on Lark Street in Albany is pretty good, and there's a surprisingly good Thai/Chinese place at the very northern end of Troy that I walk to sometimes. Thai Spice is the name. I don't know what they do in Saratoga, though.

• Locked thread