Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hey everyone is the writing in this game good? And by that I mean: how close is it in terms of being strongly executed and open to player input to Fallout: New Vegas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
This new UI

This new Color scheme

This new loading bar

It's like caramel in my mouth aaaaaaa

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Impermanent posted:

Hey everyone is the writing in this game good? And by that I mean: how close is it in terms of being strongly executed and open to player input to Fallout: New Vegas?

Why would you ask how close to mediocre it is?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

TangentEnigma posted:

Because it's better than answering a question with a question and only slightly worse than starting a sentence with "because."

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

TangentEnigma posted:

Okay.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
It's awesome and you'll enjoy it regardless of how kick-rear end New Vegas is.

Edit: Gave in and checked out the latest update for the game. There is some substantial difference in everything. Everything looks better in terms of graphics quality and the saturation slider is interesting but I think the game looks good at 100%.
Loving that perception granted dialogue options and there's some new creation options as well.
A LOT of new uses for skills like demolitons/computer/alarm disarming/etc
I haven't looked at much but the first location but there's been some alterations to terrain and such that all look really fantastic.
DEFINITE performance boost/optimization, for me that is sure.
The ZOING healing sound is gone.
New mods, new maps for encounters (night and rainy encounters thus far are the new ones but there are maps that have been changed or added, they're different enough to have started out as either)

I'm just presuming that the portrait count was reduced for some reason because there are new ones but only one or two of the previous versions options.

Donwsides? Gunshots seem really, really quiet for some reason and locations on the world map are extremely small, like... I would have missed a cache if I hadn't known it was there because the location indicator obscured it almost completely. This could possibly just be issues on my end, though.

Don't expect Angela to share any ammunition you give her. Don't give her anything unless you're fine with her not returning it to split stacks etc. She won't part with her starting rifle, either. She also seems to still have trouble deciding if she wants to harass your rangers even when they make a shot but at this point I think it's kind of funny for her to just be loving with the newbies. I'm sure that's fixed in the final release.

Her new spoken lines are very well done in my opinion. Give that VA a pat on the back.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 2, 2014

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm sad that punching seems to have been hit with the nerf hammer w/r/t armor piercing, but I'm thrilled at all the new explosives. Means I can counterbalance my 2 punch-dude/ttes with TNT.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
How complete is the game? Will saves carry over to full release? Really tempted to try this now but don't want to start a new game on full release.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Did the new patch add the second half of the game?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrManiac posted:

Did the new patch add the second half of the game?

I kind of want to see a legit retail release of a game get a patch with this in its patch notes.

Bugfix: 2nd half of the game is now accessible after being accidentally left out of gold master build.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is there a date at all for the full release? This really isn't the type of game I want to play a half-finished version of.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Is there a date at all for the full release? This really isn't the type of game I want to play a half-finished version of.

The latest Wasteland 2 update posted:

It’s pretty likely that we will slip into the first or second week in September due to fulfillment of the physical goods and discs. We will give an exact date as soon as we know it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

About a month.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:toot: Thanks, guys.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
A small gripe I have with character creation is that when I load a premade character it still resets the age to the default 20. I have no idea if the actual game saves age now but if not, I imagine its just flattering Angela by telling her she doesn't look a day over 20.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The Wasteland 2 release party had better not make me miss that Steely Dan concert in Boston :mad:

Oh who am I kidding I have not even bought tickets yet just in case it is the same weekend

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Well, a PROPER Wasteland 2 release party would have a RATT concert anyway.

P.S. RATT loving sucks.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Well, a PROPER Wasteland 2 release party would have a RATT concert anyway.

I think you spelled Judas Priest wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhY9GOhFwN4

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
It might just be the Fallout in me, but I can't imagine the wasteland without these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvwfLe6sLis

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My greatest heavy metal shame is that Turbo Lover was the first Judas Priest album I bought. Actually possibly the only one. But dude. Listen to that song. TURBO LOVER.

Actually "Out in the Cold" was really my jam.

Where am I/

HotCanadianChick in case you did not know, he mentioned RATT due to the RATT reference in the original Wasteland. But, as we discussed earlier in the thread, it may not necessarily be such a bad thing if RATT does not make it into this game (as much as I would kill to run into the elderly new wavers from the first game still demanding to hear RATT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5vQsHjHins

Featuring (relevantly) a jukebox and (less relevantly) Milton Berle.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

quote:

It’s pretty likely that we will slip into the first or second week in September due to fulfillment of the physical goods and discs. We will give an exact date as soon as we know it.

Why? Every physical copy comes with a digital bonus copy, doesn't it? There's no 'physical only' tier. Why wouldn't they just send out all the codes and tell people the physical goods are in the mail? Why delay the actual game over what amounts to some bonus goods? :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fintilgin posted:

Why? Every physical copy comes with a digital bonus copy, doesn't it? There's no 'physical only' tier. Why wouldn't they just send out all the codes and tell people the physical goods are in the mail? Why delay the actual game over what amounts to some bonus goods? :(

MAybe people bought the physical copy for themselves and want to give the bonus copy to someone else?

I don't know. I'm kinda with you on it, but it doesn't really matter to me.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Drifter posted:

MAybe people bought the physical copy for themselves and want to give the bonus copy to someone else?
Im one of those.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's funny, I've got two PCs, the WL2 beta's never worked on my desktop, and a terrible texture glitch (pitch black everything!) kept me from advancing into the first quest area on my laptop, now with the new patch I'm getting CTD on my laptop like I've always experienced with the desktop (I've sent bug reports on both, going back to the first release of the beta, but whatever hardware issues are causing it seem unresolved). I don't have a lot of confidence that I'm even going to be able to play this game for the foreseeable future. What I've heard sounds good though!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's funny, I've got two PCs, the WL2 beta's never worked on my desktop, and a terrible texture glitch (pitch black everything!) kept me from advancing into the first quest area on my laptop, now with the new patch I'm getting CTD on my laptop like I've always experienced with the desktop (I've sent bug reports on both, going back to the first release of the beta, but whatever hardware issues are causing it seem unresolved). I don't have a lot of confidence that I'm even going to be able to play this game for the foreseeable future. What I've heard sounds good though!

Just out of curiosity, what are you computers' main parts? Some people have really old computers and it's like they're trying to pour gasoline up a horse's rear end and are upset when it won't drive them down the freeway.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

No, the laptop is a 2013 Thinkpad that has no problems running much of anything, the desktop doesn't have anything more than 2 years old plugged into it.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I had a lot of troubles running the very early beta stuff so I'm 50/50 on having to build a new computer to run WL2. I kind of need to, I've got a 2010 lenovo laptop and I'm just kind hoping it holds on until I can put together a desktop. It handled Bioshock Infinity well enough though.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Basic Chunnel posted:

No, the laptop is a 2013 Thinkpad that has no problems running much of anything, the desktop doesn't have anything more than 2 years old plugged into it.

Integrated graphics?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The laptop does, an intel HD 4000, but that's high end as laptop graphics go (it certainly has no problems running, say, Skyrim + ENB) but as I said, it was running fine before. The intro area ran very smoothly, the map travel was fine, but once you got to the first quest area, everything was black, except for the dust blowing vfx, which came in fine. You could crank the gamma and see faint outlines of characters and objects, but no features of the terrain. I clicked randomly and ended up getting into an argument with an invisible raider, who I talked my way past, but I couldn't go any farther without vision.

With the newest patch, it crashes on startup. Same with the desktop, but the beta has never worked on the desktop. I believe that's running a GTX 660.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Will saves 100% not carry over?

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Reason posted:

I think it's safe to say the save would have some possibility of loving up over some kind of conflict with now and the final product.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

The laptop does, an intel HD 4000, but that's high end as laptop graphics go (it certainly has no problems running, say, Skyrim + ENB) but as I said, it was running fine before. The intro area ran very smoothly, the map travel was fine, but once you got to the first quest area, everything was black, except for the dust blowing vfx, which came in fine. You could crank the gamma and see faint outlines of characters and objects, but no features of the terrain. I clicked randomly and ended up getting into an argument with an invisible raider, who I talked my way past, but I couldn't go any farther without vision.

With the newest patch, it crashes on startup. Same with the desktop, but the beta has never worked on the desktop. I believe that's running a GTX 660.

Try updating your drivers maybe? I have a laptop with intel 4000 graphics and had no problems with the beta.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Quarex posted:

My greatest heavy metal shame is that Turbo Lover was the first Judas Priest album I bought. Actually possibly the only one. But dude. Listen to that song. TURBO LOVER.

Not their best, but it's underrated. Yes, it's kitsch-y at hell, but seriously, they're Judas Priest, why is that a problem?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Reason posted:

Always assume that saves from a non-final version of the game won't work in the final version.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Not their best, but it's underrated. Yes, it's kitsch-y at hell, but seriously, they're Judas Priest, why is that a problem?

Turbo Lover and Out In The Cold were the two songs that got me into metal \m/

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Why people listen to Judas Priest when you have Black Sabbath is beyond me. :colbert:

Discuss.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

I watched that garish motorcycle Turbo video and it's 80's synthpop, something you'd encounter in a disco or a gay bar.
Sorry your younger self mistook that for metal :unsmith:

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Basic Chunnel posted:

Intel HD 4000 has been problematic for us since the start, I think it's technically below spec but it's been working for people with the latest drivers

btw I run a GTX 660 on my home system and it runs fine for me. Are all your graphic drivers up to date?

If you keep having problems with everything up to date please send your crash logs and/or player.log file to us at support@inxile.net, we'll want to see what's causing it

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Oh I totally dig it, do not get me wrong. Kitschiness and cheesiness are concepts that fundamentally cannot be used to discuss heavy metal, as either all metal or no metal appears kitchy/cheesy depending on your inclinations towards metal. Well, ManOwaR could be the exception to thinking no metal is cheesy I suppose.

Furism posted:

Why people listen to Judas Priest when you have Black Sabbath is beyond me. :colbert:

Discuss.
Pretty much agreed. Not long after buying Turbo Lover I heard "Black Sabbath" for the first time AT A LIVE-ACTION VAMPIRE GAME and after the first note hit, I turned literally open-mouthed to the person operating the stereo and said WHAT THE HELL IS THIS??? and I pretty much decided in the years since that Black Sabbath is the only pre-1980s band that deserves to be called heavy metal.

I realize KISS probably never actually believed they were the heaviest band in the world, but KISS is to Black Sabbath as Justin Bieber is to ... Black Sabbath :smug:

HotCanadianChick posted:

Seeing Metallica's "One" video on MTV and then having my friend loan me his Overkill mix tape(!) in a short span of time did it for me, but those two songs are what showed me that Judas Priest did have something to offer ...

sauer kraut posted:

I watched that garish motorcycle Turbo video and it's 80's synthpop, something you'd encounter in a disco or a gay bar.
Sorry your younger self mistook that for metal :unsmith:
... and given that my favorite band is the Pet Shop Boys I also think your opinion makes perfect sense.

All right, there we go; Wasteland 2 discussion complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Quarex posted:

Oh I totally dig it, do not get me wrong. Kitschiness and cheesiness are concepts that fundamentally cannot be used to discuss heavy metal, as either all metal or no metal appears kitchy/cheesy depending on your inclinations towards metal. Well, ManOwaR could be the exception to thinking no metal is cheesy I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77j6RIZy8KI

I have no idea what you could possibly be talking about.

• Locked thread