Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Dantu posted:

Ummm....wtf?

please don't kinkshame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

LmaoTheKid posted:

please don't kinkshame

Is that an actual fetish?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Do you believe...?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
SHOOT ME WHILE I LISTEN TO METAL.

these divorce proceedings are loving weird. I really like the Nora
Character.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Welp this episode went from mega depressing to full-on wtf in about 30 seconds flat. Nora-centric? :getin:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Hmmmm, the hand grenade scene was neutralized very suddenly

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I'm on a five minute delay due to laughing uncontrollably at true blood. I like this show a lot. Nora is awesome and smoking hot.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Take Nora back to the bartender. "Is this the woman who broke the mirror? No? You are free to go."

Lame side-plot easily resolved in minutes.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Larry David has proof.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
Professional basketball player Mike James hugs away peoples sadness

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Enjoyed it as much as the Matt episode, loved seeing Wayne's session.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
Holy Wayne: Bringing a new definition of "let's hug it out, bitch" to HBO programming.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That was a pretty enjoyable episode.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Enjoyed the episode. I am ready for hot cop to start banging Nora

Edit: I really like this show and enjoyed the episode. Next weeks episode looks loving weird.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 4, 2014

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

THE LEFTOVERS: Literal Magic Negro (maybe [I hope so {god please, anything}])

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The episodes that focus on a single character have been so much better than the other ones. Hoping the next episode is just Kevin and his dad, which is what it seems like from the preview.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Eukodol posted:

Take Nora back to the bartender. "Is this the woman who broke the mirror? No? You are free to go."

Lame side-plot easily resolved in minutes.

Not like they work in shifts or anything. But yeah I was pretty much wondering "security footage?" during that whole bit. Certainly a hotel like that would have ample security cameras in their bar. Anyway, quibbling aside, thought that was a great episode. Also,

ChadSexington posted:

Holy Wayne: Bringing a new definition of "let's hug it out, bitch" to HBO programming.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ruddiger posted:

THE LEFTOVERS: Literal Magic Negro (maybe [I hope so {god please, anything}])

This would push the show into the stratosphere.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing an unintended reaction here, but I find this show soooo morbidly dark that it's come full circle to being hilarious. After the shoot me/speed metal bit I had to pause for a full minute to just chuckle to myself, and the cops face as he walked away from Nora (oh gently caress your daughter) was amazing.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Strangest use of a Slayer song in a TV show ever.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dirt posted:

Strangest use of a Slayer song in a TV show ever.

I dunno, it's up there with South Park where they drilled through a horde of hippies with giant machine to run up and hijack a PA system to disperse Woodstock with Raining Blood.

I loved the episode though. Norah is a great character and the Hug Prophet is so bizarre.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
So Matt the Priest is Norah's brother or perhaps in-law? The (2?) character-centric episodes thus far have been a lot better than the rest and they were about Matt and Norah. Didn't Lost primarily consist of character-centric episodes or was that just later seasons?

The worst parts of the show so far have all been related to the Garvey's son plot so hopefully it is about to connect with the "main" plot in a meaningful way...

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 4, 2014

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

thathonkey posted:

So Matt the Priest is Norah's brother or perhaps in-law? The (2?) character-centric episodes thus far have been a lot better than the rest and they were about Matt and Norah. Didn't Lost primarily consist of character-centric episodes or was that just later seasons?

The worst parts of the show so far have all been related to the Garvey's son plot so hopefully it is about to connect with the "main" plot in a meaningful way...
Brother. They mentioned "mom and dad" at one point.

One thing that's thus far unclear to me is what it looked like when someone departed. Did they literally just vanish while other people were looking at them? Is there camera footage, somewhere, of departures? It makes me wonder a little bit because I'd think that very point would have come up in the show, but we haven't seen anything to that effect.

With regards to science and departures, I think people vanishing, while being observed, without any other fanfare is well beyond the realm of potentially-explainable-this-century and into Clarke's "indistinguishable from magic" regime. Once we rule out mass psychosis, (IE: all those people died and our fragile brains expunged the traumatic evidence) the conservation of mass/energy issues alone pose an intractable problem.

From this perspective, I understand the cults. If 2% of the people on the planet just vanished at the same instant, I'd be looking for some supernatural force to believe in too, because our most basic understanding of physics just got flushed, otherwise. Might as well not believe in gravity or electricity than believe in a physical process that instantly disappears a human-sized object.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Having gone through lengths NOT to touch on that subject, I'm guessing they're saving those juicy details until the right moment.

When Norah is making her way through the protestors to enter the hotel, you can overhear a bit about "human matter disappearing" or something like that which could be taken to imply that non-human matter such as clothing remained. The closest we've seen to the actual act of disappearing was in the first episode though. The woman at the laundromat turns away and back to see her baby, clothes included (right?), vanished.

But yeah, if enough dogs witnessed disappearances to form wild packs in a single small town then the statistics would also favor plenty of humans witnessing disappearances.

If it turns out that Garvey was cheating on his wife with somebody at the moment they disappeared, maybe that is how we, the viewer, will be shown.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 4, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Wow, Carrie Coon is only 33? She kinda looks a bit older on the show for some reason but I think she's still pretty drat hot.

Sober fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 4, 2014

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Sober posted:

Wow, Carrie Coon is only 33? She kinda looks a bit older on the show for some reason but I think she's still pretty drat hot.

Sometimes actors lie about their age…

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After dropping this POS show two weeks ago was told to watch the cold open of this episode and HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA god drat this is such a self-important goddamn stupid-rear end show for idiots

You all really should spend your Sunday nights watching Masters of Sex instead of this total pile of crap

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Corte posted:

So who do we think stoned the GR lady? Personally I felt the episode does a lot to suggest it was the GR:
-the initial scene between glasses(Gladys) and Patti where we see her nod
-Gladys pleading with those stoning her
-the flashback Lori has
-the conversation between Patti and Lori which also showed they don't always wear white or remain silent

The way Patti talked about Gladys' issue after her son's death and her commitment to the cause also seem to suggest she may have been willing to martyr herself. I enjoyed parts of the episode, the opening sequence was very powerful. I think we might see Lori try to leave the GR at some point, I'm interested to see how that is handled.

Another clue is that that the assailants are silent during the entire attack.

Bown posted:

I'M MAD ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE WATCH ON TV

Nice meltdown.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Bown posted:

After dropping this POS show two weeks ago was told to watch the cold open of this episode and HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA god drat this is such a self-important goddamn stupid-rear end show for idiots

You all really should spend your Sunday nights watching Masters of Sex instead of this total pile of crap

Why do you get so angry at people liking a TV show?

Anyway, this was my favorite episode so far. I was hoping for more Nora and it was even better than my expectations for the character, something just so adorable about her.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

thathonkey posted:

If it turns out that Garvey was cheating on his wife with somebody at the moment they disappeared, maybe that is how we, the viewer, will be shown.

We have literally already seen that in the second episode.

This episode was pretty good TV, great compared to past episodes. They should just do LOST-style single character focused episodes like this one (but please not on the GR).

Notice that they best episodes don't have Liv Tyler in them?

Also that grenade thing was crazy. That would get the GR shut the poo poo down pretty quick.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

We have literally already seen that

We see a quick cut to him having sex with a woman that is done in a way that could imply that is where he was at the moment of the departure iirc... so literally, no, we havent seen a departure.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yes we did.

He was on top of her and then he fell down into the space she was in.

Edit: Wait, I get what you mean. You're right, we haven't directly witnessed a person disappearing, as in camera on them and they're gone next frame.

But she 100% vanished when they were having sex.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 4, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Let's just report all the threadshitters. I still think this show is ok

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

thehustler posted:

Let's just report all the threadshitters. I still think this show is ok

Haha that's actually pretty dumb. People are allowed to post their opinions if they have problems with a mediocre show.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Bown posted:

:smug: my superior opinion :smug:

...Anyway, I think we can all agree that the character-centric format is a winner. This is what Lindelof seems to be best at. As an added bonus, it allows the show to completely ignore its lovely parts (Liv Tyler, the Garvey son/pregnant Asian girl subplot/whatever else you don't like about the show) for a while. If the show gets a second season, hopefully they'll be able to tune it so that all of the episodes are done this way. It still managed to advance the "plot" plenty. I put plot in quotes because there's not much of one right now.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 4, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The character specific episodes have been legit awesome, the rest of the show very hit and miss. I hope it's a case of them not really knowing how to play to the show's strengths just yet, and it'll keep getting better as we go along, but right now I definitely don't think it's bad or mediocre, it just isn't living up to its potential.

Really though, "You are not going to get an explanation" should be the loving thread title.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

thathonkey posted:

...Anyway, I think we can all agree that the character-centric format is a winner. This is what Lindelof seems to be best at. As an added bonus, it allows the show to completely ignore its lovely parts (Liv Tyler, the Garvey son/pregnant Asian girl subplot/whatever else you don't like about the show) for a while. If the show gets a second season, hopefully they'll be able to tune it so that all of the episodes are done this way. It still managed to advance the "plot" plenty. I put plot in quotes because there's not much of one right now.

Hakkesshu posted:

The character specific episodes have been legit awesome, the rest of the show very hit and miss. I hope it's a case of them not really knowing how to play to the show's strengths just yet, and it'll keep getting better as we go along, but right now I definitely don't think it's bad or mediocre, it just isn't living up to its potential.

I just reported both of you for thread-making GBS threads. Stay the gently caress out.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I had to go back and watch that part when Garvey is asked where he was during the departure. It's ambiguous at best... there is a very brief moment at the end where he appears to drop down into a space where the woman would've been though. Missed that the first time through. That is a good catch.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

thathonkey posted:

I had to go back and watch that part when Garvey is asked where he was during the departure. It's ambiguous at best... there is a very brief moment at the end where he appears to drop down into a space where the woman would've been though. Missed that the first time through. That is a good catch.

Thanks, can we hug this out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Professor Shark posted:

Haha that's actually pretty dumb. People are allowed to post their opinions if they have problems with a mediocre show.

Reasons why they think it's dumb are absolutely fine. But we're beyond that.

• Locked thread