Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Thanks, can we hug this out?

Consider it hugged out.

Y'know, I'm fine with the show not exploring the mystery of why/where are they now, but it will be kind of lame if they don't ever cover the actual moment of disappearance in more detail at some point.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Holy Wayne is Black Sybok. He wants to share his knowledge of Sha Ka Ree. Hug style.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This episode was great.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

Consider it hugged out.

Y'know, I'm fine with the show not exploring the mystery of why/where are they now, but it will be kind of lame if they don't ever cover the actual moment of disappearance in more detail at some point.

It appears that there are some important details relating to what was going on in different people's lives leading up to the departure that they are unveiling as the series rolls on, like the fact that Laurie and the head of the GR knew each other before the event or that the chief appears to have been having an affair leading up to the event, and I expect we'll see more of those details revealed. I don't expect they will ever attempt to explain why the departure happened or why certain people disappeared, though. That's just so far from the point of the show.

I feel like that was the episode they really needed at this point in the show. Well played, HBO.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 4, 2014

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Nora really shouldn't shack up with Garvey since she just found out both her husband and Garvey are cheaters.

But he is hot so.

The weird snuff/masochistic need-to-feel-alive intro was creepy as hell, as is buying fresh non-eaten groceries for 3 years either just in case her kids come back or because she refuses to let go.

The entire episode seemed like it was being filmed through a yellow filter, and with the behavior of the hotel staff, it gave off a vibe of an unreliable narrator/camera, that maybe Nora was going crazy as much as Garvey is.

Wayne's acting was great. Making out with the surrogate corpse was funny too.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

tadashi posted:

I don't expect they will ever attempt to explain why the departure happened or why certain people disappeared, though. That's just so far from the point of the show.

Oh yeah, totally fine with that!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sober posted:

Wow, Carrie Coon is only 33? She kinda looks a bit older on the show for some reason but I think she's still pretty drat hot.

Looks like she did theater for years with just small roles on TV. I thought she was Molly Parker (House of Cards, Deadwood) all the way up until this episode. Coon is a much better actor.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Another great episode. I know once they start to get a little more explanatory it will likely fall apart, but aside from (I think it was the) third episode, it's been pretty strong.

Lrigwoc
Aug 16, 2007
Reverse

IMB posted:

Another great episode. I know once they start to get a little more explanatory it will likely fall apart, but aside from (I think it was the) third episode, it's been pretty strong.

The third episode was as good as (if not better than) this episode. Well, in my opinion at least. That was a Matt-centered one.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
That was some beautiful television.

I hope the final line of the whole series is "It was high-sugar cereals the whole time."

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Lrigwoc posted:

The third episode was as good as (if not better than) this episode. Well, in my opinion at least. That was a Matt-centered one.

Yeah, I was wrong. It was the one after the Matt episode that wasn't any good. For some reason I thought Matt's episode was episode 2.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
So is Wayne for real or just a charismatic dude, good at reading people, taking advantage of a world where people are a lot more likely to believe in magic?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

JayMax posted:

So is Wayne for real or just a charismatic dude, good at reading people, taking advantage of a world where people are a lot more likely to believe in magic?

Most likely they'll leave that ambiguous forever.

We're shown that he is for real, and it plays with our bias towards skepticism in the real world.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

JayMax posted:

Nora's experience leads me to believe that Wayne is for real. The episode gave us a glimpse into the intensity of the pain that she had been feeling ever since her family's departure and, based on what we saw, I think that if he she had chosen to work through it with an actual therapist, accepting what happened and feeling "OK" might have taken her years. A single session with Wayne and she's fine. Along those lines, it's important to note that she didn't come to Wayne as a believer; he worked his magic and she was suddenly able to let everything go.

What interests me about Wayne is whatever it is that the people who see him give up in exchange for having their pain taken away. Yes, they pay him, but I can't shake the feeling that they are giving something of themselves away along with the pain, and that strikes me as being intensely creepy. Nora's episode ending with her receiving her first ever "no" response to question 121 makes me think that something within or about her has changed as a result of seeing Wayne, and not necessarily for the better.

messagemode1 posted:

Most likely they'll leave that ambiguous forever.
edit: I'm hoping that this is true for most of the "mysteries" that the show presents; ambiguity is a good thing to have in a show that deals with issues of faith.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 4, 2014

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Ersatz posted:

What interests me about Wayne is whatever it is that the people who see him give up in exchange for having their pain taken away. Yes, they pay him, but I can't shake the feeling that they are giving something of themselves away along with the pain, and that strikes me as being intensely creepy. Nora's episode ending with her receiving her first ever "no" response to question 121 makes me think that something within or about her has changed as a result of seeing Wayne, and not necessarily for the better.

And don't forget that there have been references that Wayne's baby is the "anti-christ"

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Wayne is no more real than the Guilty Remnant or Jim Jones, he just understands the nuances of how some people feel about the departures, and he can verbalize this to them. They know or understand they feel this way but they can't or won't talk about it and they're all wound up. He didn't do or say anything that even remotely suggested abilities beyond reason. If you guys mean 'real' in that he actually has an effect on people, then duh, that's kind of part of being a cult leader.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Wayne is no more real than the Guilty Remnant or Jim Jones, he just understands the nuances of how some people feel about the departures, and he can verbalize this to them. They know or understand they feel this way but they can't or won't talk about it and they're all wound up. He didn't do or say anything that even remotely suggested abilities beyond reason.

This would be my take, except this show keeps toying with random, ambiguously supernatural elements. The issue with the question on the departure form is the best example from this episode. The show actively dismisses the idea that she's influencing the respondents in some way by making it clear that she's getting 100% positive responses with no variation, and then drives the point home at the end of the episode. I doubt that's something that'll ever be addressed, just like Wayne, but the writers are pretty clearly trying to create mysteries that are open to supernatural explanations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think it's pretty obvious she was influencing the question by looking distraught/sad as she asked it, forcing the people to answer Yes for her sake, not their own. Now that she has had that weight lifted the pain isn't in her face when she asks the question and now she can receive an honest answer.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Paradoxish posted:

This would be my take, except this show keeps toying with random, ambiguously supernatural elements. The issue with the question on the departure form is the best example from this episode. The show actively dismisses the idea that she's influencing the respondents in some way by making it clear that she's getting 100% positive responses with no variation, and then drives the point home at the end of the episode. I doubt that's something that'll ever be addressed, just like Wayne, but the writers are pretty clearly trying to create mysteries that are open to supernatural explanations.
It would be interesting to see exactly if Nora is assigned people who needs the form filled out or she works in Mapleton. But I suppose it doesn't matter because the whole thesis of that part of her was supposed to say that was she kinda giving off that vibe unintentionally because of her view of the world in the wake of the departure of her entire family.

^^^ e: f;b

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I think my ideal end to this season is another rapture happens except it's like 90% of the population this time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sober posted:

It would be interesting to see exactly if Nora is assigned people who needs the form filled out or she works in Mapleton. But I suppose it doesn't matter because the whole thesis of that part of her was supposed to say that was she kinda giving off that vibe unintentionally because of her view of the world in the wake of the departure of her entire family.

^^^ e: f;b

Yeah, but 100%? There wasn't a single person that overlooked the way she asked the question? Seems a bit odd, but humanity is seemingly losing its mind, after all.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sober posted:

But I suppose it doesn't matter because the whole thesis of that part of her was supposed to say that was she kinda giving off that vibe unintentionally because of her view of the world in the wake of the departure of her entire family.

This is a perfectly valid interpretation, but my point is that the 100% figure serves no purpose except to leave room for a more open-ended explanation. How many interviewers are there doing this? How many people has Nora interviewed? Out of all the interviewers in the US, she's the only one getting a 100% positive response rate? You could play this out in exactly the same way by saying that she's receiving significantly more positive responses than anyone else, but instead the writers chose to use a figure that's exceptionally unlikely.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It's also interesting that it's one of the (possibly only?) opinion questions on the form that we know of. The rest seem to be asked for the sole purpose of finding a pattern. This one has no bearing on anything and is kind of like, unprofessional?

Can't tell if that's bad writing or good writing.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Tomahawk posted:

I think my ideal end to this season is another rapture happens except it's like 90% of the population this time.
I would bet instead that like 2% of the 2% departed come back, raising further questions of why did only certain people come back and where have they been.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Pedro De Heredia posted:

He didn't do or say anything that even remotely suggested abilities beyond reason.
It's not so much what Wayne does or says - it's the mismatch between what Wayne does and says and the incredible results that he's getting that suggest that something supernatural might be happening. Wayne has an apparently perfect track record of getting people from incredible pain to lastingly OK in the space of a few minutes, through nothing more than hugs and some clever and empathetic words.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 5, 2014

NihilistCanada
Sep 11, 2001

If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.

Ersatz posted:

It's not so much what Wayne does or says - it's the mismatch between what Wayne does and says and the incredible results that he's getting that suggest that something supernatural might be happening. Wayne has an apparently perfect track record of getting people from incredible pain to lastingly OK in the space of a few minutes, through nothing more than hugs and some clever and empathetic words.

He is predicting his own death, persecuted by the authorities, seemingly actually being supernatural to some extent. Where have I heard that before......

The fact that he has a "problem" with underage asian jailbait and his followers willing to kill and die for him makes him a rather interesting "Jesus" figure for our times.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
Maybe Wayne is Satan or something. Him peddling this too-good-to-be-true happy feelings and relief stuff seems suspect since it's like letting people off the hook for feeling bad about what happened and maybe allowing them to avoid reflecting on their own lives.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

NihilistCanada posted:

He is predicting his own death, persecuted by the authorities, seemingly actually being supernatural to some extent. Where have I heard that before......
To that list, we can add taking away the pains (absolving the sins?) of his followers.

along the way posted:

Maybe Wayne is Satan or something. Him peddling this too-good-to-be-true happy feelings and relief stuff seems suspect since it's like letting people off the hook for feeling bad about what happened and maybe allowing them to avoid reflecting on their own lives.
edit: I get what you're saying, but letting people off the hook without their having earned it isn't Satan's thing - it's Christ's.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 5, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tomahawk posted:

messagemode1 posted:

I would bet instead that like 2% of the 2% departed come back, raising further questions of why did only certain people come back and where have they been.

I'd rather have another 2% disappear or like messagemodel1 said, like 10% come back... or a combination of the two. I think it'd create an interesting dynamic where those that reappeared become celebrities/ hated by those who had loved ones that didn't come back. It'd at least make the GR somewhat more interesting, maybe.

I just want Gary Busey back :ohdear:

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

I want the last scene of the season to be a glimpse into the alternate realty where the other 98% of people disappeared. Seeing a world where so few people are left 3 years after the departure would be awesome.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't think that there would be much to see.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

It doesn't make that much sense for the hotel's security to be on the real Nora's rear end and not even have a visual on the fake Nora who actually threw the bottle, and is sitting at the panel. You'd think they'd look at her badge that says "Nora Durst" and identify her as a persona non grata and kick her out as well as the real Nora.

I mean the hotel making a huge clusterfuck out of everything is not completely unrealistic but it's a little dumb when your explanation is "Oh people are incompetent."

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

NihilistCanada posted:

And Jesus said to the blind man, "Do you have a Paypal account?"

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

JayMax posted:

"I don't give a poo poo about you. I've already got your money, and I'm loving exhausted."

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

JayMax posted:

Have to fund the ministry somehow. Besides have you SEEN the sort of firepower the moneychangers are packing these days?

NihilistCanada
Sep 11, 2001

If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.

JayMax posted:

"Jesus and his lawyer, are coming back"

Lawyers don't come cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2yy141q8HQ

Novocaine for the Soul, how appropriate.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

This is a perfectly valid interpretation, but my point is that the 100% figure serves no purpose except to leave room for a more open-ended explanation. How many interviewers are there doing this? How many people has Nora interviewed? Out of all the interviewers in the US, she's the only one getting a 100% positive response rate? You could play this out in exactly the same way by saying that she's receiving significantly more positive responses than anyone else, but instead the writers chose to use a figure that's exceptionally unlikely.

What I really don't get about this part of the episode is that she very clearly sets up a camera before asking the questions every time. If they suspected that she was somehow biasing responses wouldn't they just look at the tapes?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Wallet posted:

What I really don't get about this part of the episode is that she very clearly sets up a camera before asking the questions every time. If they suspected that she was somehow biasing responses wouldn't they just look at the tapes?

That's why they asked her if she told them she was a legacy before she sets up the camera and begins the interview.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Did we ever see or have seen what question #151 (or whichever the one Nora's boss asked her about) was? I paused it at that point but her hands blocked the question so I only saw the "in your opinion" part. Was hoping we'd see the question at the end but it didn't happen. Who was the girl at the end by the school with the kids by the way? A flashback of younger Nora?

e: vvv Oh drat you're right. I just rewinded to the first scene with the boss and it is indeed #121 vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did we ever see or have seen what question #151 (or whichever the one Nora's boss asked her about) was? I paused it at that point but her hands blocked the question so I only saw the "in your opinion" part. Was hoping we'd see the question at the end but it didn't happen. Who was the girl at the end by the school with the kids by the way? A flashback of younger Nora?

It was the question she asked at the end, #121. "Do you believe ____ is in a better place?"

• Locked thread